Just discovered Archenemy

7 posts / 0 new
Last post
And now I'm REALLY considering buying an overpriced deck off Amazon. Is this game mode fun or worth it? Opinions please!!!
It can be a lot of fun with low to moderately powered decks.

The problem for experienced players, is that the Archenemy just doesn't stand a chance against 2 or 3 other decks of a high power level.
But if your group are all newbie's or peeps who enjoy playing common cards without stupid abilities, don't play fast combo's and don't run really powerful cards (think Thragtusk as an example) then it can be a lot of fun.

I'd consider looking into "Two-headed giant" as a format too. 
Two teams of however many players go at it, and that way you avoid paying the overpriced premium too.
Good Luck.  
We enjoy AE from time to time, and have found the best way to play it is to give the Archenemy 20 life and 10 poison counters per hero, so an AE facing off against 8 heros has 160 life to play with and can take up to 80 poison counters before dying.  We also play that heroes cannot win via alternate win spells, like Coalition Victory.

Our experience shows that Glacial Chasm gives the AE lots of time to set up and win; Exsanguinate (even if not chained via Yawgmoth's Bargain) is extra useful in this format, as well.  The AE can win via alternate win cards, as well.

Instead of buying a deck, consider buying the Schemes separately... or getting them for free; some players will give them out if you ask nice. 

Cheers!
A shout out to Gaming Grounds in Kent, Ohio and Gamers N Geeks in Mobile, Alabama. www.zombiehunters.org for all your preparation needs. http://shtfschool.com/ - why prepping is useful, from one who has been there.
So yeah, I think it will be cheaper to just buy the cards, although some of the scheme cards I would like are out of stock, primarily on Star City and Amazon. But i'll still be able to build a 20 card deck for much cheaper.

So now that the initial excitement over finding a new format has worn off, I'm still wanting to play this from time to time. However, I run a small, non-sanctioned tournament where I live (I judge and put up all the prizes as a gift towards participants but don't charge anything, hope thats okay :/) and I would like to run an Archenemy tournament for one of our meets.

Any ideas how this might work? Especially since I will only have the 20 cards and no one I know has them. I could proxy some I'm sure. But I don't know how I would do matches, scoring, rankings, and all that jazz.

Any ideas? 
Wow.  Maybe have everyone register a deck (perhaps with sb) and rotate through as AE, with all others being heroes?  The same decks get used again and again, mostly as hero, but once each as AE. 

Come up with a scoring system for the AE: one point per hero killed, one point per round survived, three bonus points for wiping out all heroes, and then points for heroes: one point for saving an ally with a timely spell, one point per surviving hero if AE is defeated, one point per round survived... whatever you come up with, print it off and keep a close tally.  Maybe even player's choice: each player has two points to hand out to other players for specific plays (they need to specify the play that earned the point).

In the end, whoever has the most points, wins.

Please note that some schemes work better with specific strategies than others, while other schemes are just useful spells.  From experience, Mortal Flesh is Weak is a potent scheme and can just end games if drawn at the right time, so one of those is recommended.

Cheers!
A shout out to Gaming Grounds in Kent, Ohio and Gamers N Geeks in Mobile, Alabama. www.zombiehunters.org for all your preparation needs. http://shtfschool.com/ - why prepping is useful, from one who has been there.
Wow.  Maybe have everyone register a deck (perhaps with sb) and rotate through as AE, with all others being heroes?  The same decks get used again and again, mostly as hero, but once each as AE. 

Come up with a scoring system for the AE: one point per hero killed, one point per round survived, three bonus points for wiping out all heroes, and then points for heroes: one point for saving an ally with a timely spell, one point per surviving hero if AE is defeated, one point per round survived... whatever you come up with, print it off and keep a close tally.  Maybe even player's choice: each player has two points to hand out to other players for specific plays (they need to specify the play that earned the point).

In the end, whoever has the most points, wins.

Please note that some schemes work better with specific strategies than others, while other schemes are just useful spells.  From experience, Mortal Flesh is Weak is a potent scheme and can just end games if drawn at the right time, so one of those is recommended.

Cheers!

Wow? 

Your scoring system is actually very, very similar to what I was thinking. I was thinking for AE: one point for each hero killed and bonus for round survived, yeah. For Heroes: one point plus one point for every other hero that died beforehand (So out of 5 heroes, the final hero would get 5 points). This builds a chance for heros to sabotage one another. Also, there would be a player choice that, after the game, each hero can give a bonus point to a hero, including themselves. So if someone died earlier but did a lot of sacrificial moves, other heros can honor them with another point
I have built a series of Archenemy decks, each loaded with traps, to represent various Zendikar-esque dungeons.  They remain quite popular in our local store, to the point where some nights, all I do is run one game after another. Some people have even built "player character" decks to use just for those games (for example, one young man built a Healer deck: all it does is gain life, and then give it to other players)

I have found that one of the keys to being a challenging Archenemy is to load your deck with spells/creatures/effects that can target multiple or all opponents at once. Also, figure out how many people can run your "instance", and stick to it... this will usually be 3 or 4. You may also find that certain cards simply make the game no fun, and should therefore be restricted or banned - Blood Artist being a good example.
Sign In to post comments