Gesit of Saint Traft evolve?

10 posts / 0 new
Last post
Quick question when Geist of St. Traft attacks and places down the 4/4 angel creature token ONTO the battlefield, would that trigger evolve on creatures with evolve? I'm thinking no because of 702.98a Evolve is a triggered ability. "Evolve" means "Whenever a creature enters the battlefield under your control, if that creature's power is greater than this creature's power and/or that creature's toughness is greater than this creature's toughness, put a +1/+1 counter on this creature."

Is the token technically under your control even though it comes out tapped and attacking? Also when Geist attacks in the declare attackers phase is the token part of the declared attackers? And if so can you declare a blocker on the token? 
the token is under your control
it will trigger Evolve
proud member of the 2011 community team
Quick question when Geist of St. Traft attacks and places down the 4/4 angel creature token ONTO the battlefield, would that trigger evolve on creatures with evolve?

Yes.
Is the token technically under your control even though it comes out tapped and attacking?

Yes, it is under your control.
Also when Geist attacks in the declare attackers phase is the token part of the declared attackers?

It is not "declared" as an attacker, but it is attacking.
And if so can you declare a blocker on the token? 

Yes.
Quick question when Geist of St. Traft attacks and places down the 4/4 angel creature token ONTO the battlefield, would that trigger evolve on creatures with evolve? I'm thinking no because of 702.98a Evolve is a triggered ability. "Evolve" means "Whenever a creature enters the battlefield under your control, if that creature's power is greater than this creature's power and/or that creature's toughness is greater than this creature's toughness, put a +1/+1 counter on this creature."

Is the token technically under your control even though it comes out tapped and attacking? Also when Geist attacks in the declare attackers phase is the token part of the declared attackers? And if so can you declare a blocker on the token? 

Everything on the battlefield has a controller.   You control the token, the token entered the battlefield, so Evolve will trigger (if P/T are correct).

You did not declare the token as an attacker, but it is attacking.  You can block it just like you can block any other creature that is attacking you or your planeswalkers.

Holy crap how come I haven't seen any decks with evolve that involve Geist? This really excites me, do you guys think he is viable in an evolve deck? 
Also thanks for the quick responses! 
he is not in Simic colors
True, but couldn't you splash white for him among other things? Or is that generally a bad idea? I was already considering trying to splash white for Mikeaus and Gavony township.
no idea
ask that in the dedicated forums below, people there can help you better with deck building and strategy
How come I haven't seen any decks with evolve that involve Geist?

Perhaps because there already are too many decks using abusing Geist?

110.5a A token is both owned and controlled by the player under whose control it entered the battlefield.

Cheers