[ICD] Dying World

14 posts / 0 new
Last post
I made this card for my first ever YMTC contest. In that round I had to make cards for another player's world so I'm not sure exactly sure how much of the desing is mine (I think I came up with both keywords, or at least keyworded them). Anyways here's the card.

And again in text form:
Dying World
Sorcery
Multichroma — All creatures get -1/-1 for each colored mana symbol in their mana cost until end of turn.
Desaturated — If this was cast without spending any colored mana those creatures get -3/-3 for each colored mana symbol in their mana costs instead.

And hereare my questions:

• How powerful is this card? Junk rare? First pick in draft? Constructed All-star? You dread facing this in legacy? Your heart skips a beat when you realize somebody else drafted this in your friend's power nine cube?

• On the above note how relevant is this card and across how many formats?

• How sexy is this card? On a scale from "makes my eyes bleed and I had to get surgery" to "I would buy a playset of any set this card was printed in, and I'm totally nominating it for card of the week which it will definately win" how much does this card excite you?

Thanks, that's all.

Its...weird, and does things I don't like. I don't like Green getting a board sweeper at 6, especially considering Green is the only color that might have creatures that could survive it (not good creatures, but creatures). All is Dust puts colorless sweeper at 7, and this is that plus flexibility if you are running black.

1st Pickable in a draft, Probably going to be played in Standard as a colorless sweeper already, may gain special prominance in black decsk depending on what creatures are good. Any other format and it might be played as a BBB sweeper, but mono-colored decks aren't popular in eternal formats... I would personally build a token deck around if I could afford the thing.
"I think me going Bang bang bang I win is pretty intuitive" Mafia Record: Wouldn't you like to know? 2011 Mafia Awards - Mastermind of the Year
mymoment
\
57817638 wrote:
58060728 wrote:
88318561 wrote:
58060728 wrote:
Moriok Rigger does absolutely nothing to boost other riggers. You are incorrect.
Moriok Rigger is not a Rigger in print. Only in Errata WHAT NOW! (yes, I did put that phrase in for that exact reason)
Congratulations, they have activated your trap card!
Its...weird, and does things I don't like. I don't like Green getting a board sweeper at 6, especially considering Green is the only color that might have creatures that could survive it (not good creatures, but creatures). All is Dust puts colorless sweeper at 7, and this is that plus flexibility if you are running black.

1st Pickable in a draft, Probably going to be played in Standard as a colorless sweeper already, may gain special prominance in black decsk depending on what creatures are good. Any other format and it might be played as a BBB sweeper, but mono-colored decks aren't popular in eternal formats... I would personally build a token deck around if I could afford the thing.

True this is more flexible than all is dust, but I was hopping that the -X/-X being weaker than All is Dust's destroy effect would make up for it. If the inablity to kill high toughness creatures and noncreature permanents doesn't make up for it though, I might have to either reduce the -3/-3 to -2/-2 or add a to the cost.

Multichroma doesn't work like chroma. It counts all colored mana symbols, not just symbols of one color so Ash Zealot is hit exactly as hard as Goblin Electromancer. The token thing would totally work though.

I can't judge the power level because I Am A Scrub, but I definitely find it sexy. It's an interesting expansion mechanically upon Shadowmoor's hybrid cards, and it intuitively sums up what I assume would be the mechanical theme of the set--colored/not colored matters. It also does so in a way that feels quite evocative (the card name doesn't hurt). It reminds me of Tevish Szat's plane Keter. Or his plane Taramir. Or like anything he does. That guy has a downright unhealthy obsession with dying worlds. >_>

I do think this has the potential to be overestimated a lot, and probably misunderstood or even misplayed a lot. Intuitively, playing the card for feels like it should trigger the second ability, meaning any color gets to have a board sweeper.  But if I'm reading this correctly that only triggers if you payed that cost ONLY with colorless mana, which means it's a lot more restrictive than it seems at first. I can see that confusing people. And from that perspective... I don't know, six mana for something that can't kill a Grizzly Bears doesn't seem that great.

But again, Scrub. 
Coming Soon to the Magic: Expanded Multiverse: FRAGMENTS: A Shards of Alara Anthology
(Click through to view the cover and announcement page)Want to get your work in the Expanded Multiverse? Come join the project! Oh, and check out my blog, Storming the Ivory Tower: making sense of academia, media, and culture twice weekly.
I was referring to the restrictive casting costs, fixing is rampant, but BBB is still hard to acheive reliably in just about any deck, and if you aren't getting that, why not run Damnation?

THe thing about the -3/-3 per colored mana is that it misses 'goyf, artifact creatures, tokens, Eldrazi, and...? Resotration Angel? Most really good creatures are either cheap with low toughness, or have CC in their mana cost. Changning it to -2/-2 is better in some ways, but it doesn't solve the problem of Green getting a sweeper, and now that sweeper is much easier to build around so it becomes a one sided affair.
"I think me going Bang bang bang I win is pretty intuitive" Mafia Record: Wouldn't you like to know? 2011 Mafia Awards - Mastermind of the Year
mymoment
\
57817638 wrote:
58060728 wrote:
88318561 wrote:
58060728 wrote:
Moriok Rigger does absolutely nothing to boost other riggers. You are incorrect.
Moriok Rigger is not a Rigger in print. Only in Errata WHAT NOW! (yes, I did put that phrase in for that exact reason)
Congratulations, they have activated your trap card!
I can't judge the power level because I Am A Scrub, but I definitely find it sexy. It's an interesting expansion mechanically upon Shadowmoor's hybrid cards, and it intuitively sums up what I assume would be the mechanical theme of the set--colored/not colored matters. It also does so in a way that feels quite evocative (the card name doesn't hurt). It reminds me of Tevish Szat's plane Keter. Or his plane Taramir. Or like anything he does. That guy has a downright unhealthy obsession with dying worlds. >_>

I do think this has the potential to be overestimated a lot, and probably misunderstood or even misplayed a lot. Intuitively, playing the card for feels like it should trigger the second ability, meaning any color gets to have a board sweeper.  But if I'm reading this correctly that only triggers if you payed that cost ONLY with colorless mana, which means it's a lot more restrictive than it seems at first. I can see that confusing people. And from that perspective... I don't know, six mana for something that can't kill a Grizzly Bears doesn't seem that great.

But again, Scrub. 

1- Yes it only triggers off of being cast with colorless mana alone.
2- Any thoughts on how to make it clearer?
3- It can kill a Grizzly bear for six mana, but only if all six of that mana was colorless. You probably got that but I just wanted to make sure.
I don't like the all-colorless thing. Not even allowing basic lands just seems way too insular, plus it would be really annoying trying to build a mana base using only 4-ofs. I also don't like 2/c hybrid bleeding all over the place but Wizards does that too so I can't really hold that against you.

Hating on color intensity is neat, though, and the card seems pretty flavorful.

http://nogoblinsallowed.com/

I was referring to the restrictive casting costs, fixing is rampant, but BBB is still hard to acheive reliably in just about any deck, and if you aren't getting that, why not run Damnation?

THe thing about the -3/-3 per colored mana is that it misses 'goyf, artifact creatures, tokens, Eldrazi, and...? Resotration Angel? Most really good creatures are either cheap with low toughness, or have CC in their mana cost. Changning it to -2/-2 is better in some ways, but it doesn't solve the problem of Green getting a sweeper, and now that sweeper is much easier to build around so it becomes a one sided affair.

1-Okay; I misunderstood you last time.
2- I was wondering about that. I am, as Keeper would say, a "scrub". My grasp of high level constructed is less than perfect.
3- So are you opossed to green sweeper in general (maybe minus things like Whirlwind)? I can empathize there. I'm not sure how this is easier to build around as a green sweeper though, or how it's more one-sided than All is Dust (unless you're specifically comparing it to running Dust in a green deck, and saying that my card works better because your green creatures' superior toughness can b used to ride out the wrath effect).

Well, I've got lots of feedback already but I'm more confused than ever as to what this card's power level is. The soultion? I need more feedback!
Does stapling a less powerful but cheaper All is Dust to the back of a usually less powerful but more flexibly costed Mutilate-thingy make for an overpowered card, or have you just wasted two perfectly good cards by stapling them together?
I don't like the all-colorless thing. Not even allowing basic lands just seems way too insular, plus it would be really annoying trying to build a mana base using only 4-ofs. I also don't like 2/c hybrid bleeding all over the place but Wizards does that too so I can't really hold that against you.

Hating on color intensity is neat, though, and the card seems pretty flavorful.

1- Yeah, it only works in a set with lots of colorless mana sources. For the purpose of evaluation lets just say it came out in a set where the dual lands could also tap for . I guess I could also alleviate the problem somewhat by changing the cost to and reducing the effect in accordingly.
2- It lets me get back at those people who can run crazy stuff because they can afford a better mana base than I can.

On that note I think I'll sit back and let the discussion do it's own thing for a little while.
This seems fair... at it can be decent sweeper, but it has a fair number of holes. High toughness creatures, tokens, colorless, and creatures with light colored costs. I really don't understand the concern with green. Monogreen casts this at . Thats pretty high for a card that could sweep your own creatures. The desaturated will bone colored creatures, but at six colorless thats not that bad.
no impact in dract

works great in an artifact deck

rather dry/ but I'm jaded
NO WAR

Sivitri Scarzam rose to challenge the Craw Wurm but was slain by Durkwood Boars.

Liliana emergent

Just noticed something. s written, if this is cast for free somehow the desaturated bonus will always activate.
Thinking about changing it from :
Desaturated — If this was cast without spending any colored mana .... (effect)
to
Desaturated — If you cast this , using only colorless mana to pay its mana cost ... (effect).

Anybody think this is card of the week worthy? I don't want to be all pretencious and you know just come out and say "you should nominate this, wink, wink", but you know,  a nomiantion would be nice, nudge, nudge.
Sexy, a little too sexy though (IMO).
139359831 wrote:
Clever deduction Watson! Maybe you can explain why Supergirl is trying to kill me.
---- Autocard is your friend. Lightning Bolt = Lightning Bolt
Sign In to post comments