Need an answer to a scenario that just played out

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
Hi,

A friend and I were playing a game that had a scenario we weren't sure how to properly resolve.

I had a Dimir Keyrune out Ciphered with Hands of Binding. I also had an Undercity Informer out with a couple mana open for use. On his side, he had nothing that could block, as well as the Dimir Keyrune being unblockable already. But, he had an Vengeful Pharaoh in his graveyard.

So here is how I thought it should work.

I attack with just the Keyrune. I dealt 2 damage, which triggers the cast of Hands of Binding, but also triggers Vengeful Pharaoh right? So in response, I paid the one and sacked my Dimir Keyrune with Undercity Informer to mill, which caused his Vengeful Pharaoh to not have a target. I think. So it didn't return to his library. Right?

He was saying that my saccing occured during the combat phase so no damage was dealt and no copy cast of Hands of Binding.

How does this play out?

Thanks!
You are correct. Vengeful Pharaoh and cipher both trigger after combat damage is dealt. If you sacrifice your Dimir Keyrune in response to the Pharaoh's trigger, the ability will be countered on resolution for having no legal target. The cipher trigger will resolve as normal, and you can cast a copy of Hands of Binding.
Rules Advisor
The cipher trigger will resolve as normal, and you can cast a copy of Hands of Binding.

in this case he cannot, since the opponent controls no creatures
proud member of the 2011 community team
The cipher trigger will resolve as normal, and you can cast a copy of Hands of Binding.

in this case he cannot, since the opponent controls no creatures

No he had stuff. I guess I meant to say it was all tapped so nothing could block anyways. His Pharaoh was keeping me at bay and he knew it.