Mechanics a discuss and create

14 posts / 0 new
Last post
So I was thinking about keywords and mechanics that have been abandoned before their prime. And I want to know about your guy's favorites. What is it? What about it excites or intrigues you? What would you make to resurrect it? But please no one say banding.... please.

So I kinda have two I want to talk about. My first is absorb. It is such an odd form of prevention. I inevitably want to throw it on oozes 'cause they would, ya know. It sadly only exists on one card, Lymph Sliver. Its so different from normal prevention, completely moddifing how damage interacts with your creatures. I tend to compensate for this with below curve toughness.

Globular Ooze
Creature - Ooze
Absorb 3
Whenever damage would be dealt to ~, double that damage instead.
Its thick viscous membrane deflects most blows, but its inner ganglea are weak.
5/3

Boneshield Skeleton
Creature -  Skeleton
Intimidate, Absorb 2
Whenever damage that would be dealt to ~ is prevented, exile a creature card from your graveyard. If you cannot, ~ loses absorb until end of turn.
2/1

And my next mechanic is Affinity. Yes the hated... Sadly affinity for artifacts broke the entire concept for everything else. Since affinity reduces colorless costs, its not really too bad on colored spells. For instance

Devastation Hellion
Creature - Hellion
Affinity for mountains
When ~ enters the battlefield, sacrifice any number of mountains. Each opponent sacrifices a land for each land you sacrifice this way.
Haste
4/4

Planar Wisdom
Sorcery
Affinity for planeswalkers
Draw 4 cards, then shuffle 2 cards from your hand into your library.
I have my information from well informed sources.

Not so broken right? It seems like it could come back, if they weren't too afraid. 
Since you control both effects, you'd subtract 3, then double the damage on the first one. Usually that's how you'd want to do it.

Affinity for mountains is kinda dangerous. Affinity for artifacts was dangerous because of free artifacts, most of them also lands. You want to give affinity for lands? Lands are at the heart of the balance issues inherent in affinity!
139359831 wrote:
Clever deduction Watson! Maybe you can explain why Supergirl is trying to kill me.
---- Autocard is your friend. Lightning Bolt = Lightning Bolt
If we're bringing back old mechanics:

Aethercling Geist      4WB
Flying, Haunt
Whenever the creature this haunts damages a player, its controller 
sacrifices it. If a creature is sacrificed in this way, put Aethercling
Geist onto the battlefield.    
4/1

@Bay: I think that's how it would work with Globular. Damage would be assigned to it, 3 would be prevented, then the remaining damage would be doubled. Am I wrong? Maybe it should be "When ~ takes damage, it takes double that damage instead."
Also, I always thought the problem with Affinity, was that free artifacts made more free artifacts. And then an ornithopter with cranial plating swung for 12 damage third turn, or something like that.
Boros Rider

Creature-Human Knight
Horsemanship
2/2

Do I win the "dredge up old abilities" contest?  :D
Show
144902215 wrote:
Sometimes I imagine what Cisnero's life must be like. I imagine cargo pants - every pocket stuffed with coins. I imagine him (I almost said "him or her" but then I decided his gender with through the randomization of a small metal disk) - I imagine him, shopping, purchasing food, choosing which spot to park in, all through this meticulous flipping process. I imagine him asking a girl out, taking her to have a drink or whatever and then asking if she wants to play this fun game. When she responds "Sure." he removes a single quarter from one of his jingling pockets. Then proceeds to flip it repeatedly while she calls it - until she is able to make up an excuse to leave. Will he respond to this post? Only if the Chaotic Gods of Copper and Nickel deem it so. Someday many years from now, in the Dystopian future world, I'll ride my Billy Idol Unicycle past a bedraggled slumbub - He'll be clad in armor made all of the (now worthless) coins of yesterdecade. He'll grin a shiny grin at me as he flips another coin - and I'll know who it was. How could I not?
Boros Rider

Creature-Human Knight
Horsemanship
2/2

Very nice, but I think:
Boros Skyrider
Creature - Human Knight
Horsemanship, Flying
A man on a horse? How about a man on a pegasus?
2/2

No one has ANY favorite mechanics that have fallen behind? 
these are all simultaneous effects that influence each other depending on their order.
Boros Rider

Creature-Human Knight
Horsemanship
2/2

Very nice, but I think:
Boros Skyrider
Creature - Human Knight
Horsemanship, Flying
A man on a horse? How about a man on a pegasus?
2/2

No one has ANY favorite mechanics that have fallen behind? 

I see you've chosen not to respond to my post. Fair enough.
Sorry spawn. I do agree haunt has some more design space. Its sad that they passed a chance to use it in Inistrad too. So much flavor, gone forever.
Sorry spawn. I do agree haunt has some more design space. Its sad that they passed a chance to use it in Inistrad too. So much flavor, gone forever.

Still don't understand why they can't bring it back. I can think of several ways to change it while still using the Haunt technology.
Trinket of Nostalgia
Atrifact - Snow Equipment
Equip
cummulative upkeep -
At the beginning of your upkeep, for each age counter on ~, equipped creature gains your choice of rampage, absorb, flanking, horsemanship, phasing or provoke until the beginning of your next upkeep.
"On the bottom, it says 'Made in Urzas Factory. Product of Dominaria.'. That's the same place making thoose Apocalypse chimes."

Anyway...
If there's one mechanic I'd really like to see back, it's morph.

To autocard: [c]Killer Whale[/c] ⇒ Killer Whale

Morph is fun. I could see it in Dimir with their assorted sleeper cells and agents.
Your Hellion pretty much wins the game on turn 4.

Yxoque wrote:
This forum can't even ****ing self-destruct properly.

IMAGE(http://img.pokemondb.net/sprites/black-white/anim/normal/plusle.gif)

Your Hellion pretty much wins the game on turn 4.

How so? At best you have 4, maybe 5 mountains. It costs then. You sac all your lands, they have no lands. Its strong, but its not that strong. 
Sign In to post comments