Can planeswalker creatures block attacks directed at themselves?

20 posts / 0 new
Last post
My opponent controls Gideon, Champion of Justice. They turn him into a planeswalker creature using his second loyalty ability. I cast Grab the Reins to gain control of him.

My opponent then attacks Gideon, Champion of Justice (since he's a planeswalker). However, he's also a creature, which means he's allowed to block. Can he block the attack that's aimed at him?
Ain't no rule that says you can't.
The World of Eldangard - a three act M:tG block by Fallingman Eldangard Stormfront Ragnarok
I see no reason why he cannot block a creature that is attacking him, his controller or any other planeswalker that player controls.

~ Tim 
I am Blue/White Reached DCI Rating 1800 on 28/10/11. :D
Sig
56287226 wrote:
190106923 wrote:
Not bad. But what happens flavor wise when one kamahl kills the other one?
Zis iz a sign uf deep psychological troma, buried in zer subconscious mind. By keelink himzelf, Kamahl iz physically expressink hiz feelinks uf self-disgust ova hiz desire for hiz muzzer. [/GermanPsychologistVoice]
56957928 wrote:
57799958 wrote:
That makes no sense to me. If they spelled the ability out on the card in full then it would not be allowed in a mono-black Commander deck, but because they used a keyword to save space it is allowed? ~ Tim
Yup, just like you can have Birds of paradise in a mono green deck but not Noble Hierarch. YAY COLOR IDENTITY
56287226 wrote:
56888618 wrote:
Is algebra really that difficult?
Survey says yes.
56883218 wrote:
57799958 wrote:
You want to make a milky drink. You squeeze a cow.
I love this description. Like the cows are sponges filled with milk. I can see it all Nick Parks claymation-style with the cow's eyes bugging out momentarily as a giant farmer squeezes it like a squeaky dog toy, and milk shoots out of it.
56287226 wrote:
56735468 wrote:
And no judge will ever give you a game loss for playing snow covered lands.
I now have a new goal in life. ;)
Mh, that's what I thought. It seems weird, though.

"Hah, you can't attack me because I'm in your way!"
it doesn't change much
he takes no damage either way
proud member of the 2011 community team
not sure if crazy hypotheticals are appreciated, but if, after stealing Gideon, your opponent (for some reason; i can't see why they'd want to try to kill their own planeswalker (we're assuming your opponent forgot about the "prevent all damage dealt to Gideon" part) that they'll soon get back!) attacks him, if you're allowed to block with Gideon, you can then Devouring Light him so your opponent doesn't get him back..

who knows, maybe a Planeswalker blocking to protect themselves will be relevant in an actual situation in the future in the meantime, it's a cool weird rules thought experiment.
Other planeswalkers could be turned into creature as well. In fact, every planeswalker can be turned into a creature. Attacking such planeswalker may not be pointless. Blocking with it is not pointless either. The planeswalker would not protect itself, but at least it would hurt the attacking creature.
Other planeswalkers could be turned into creature as well. In fact, every planeswalker can be turned into a creature. Attacking such planeswalker may not be pointless. Blocking with it is not pointless either. The planeswalker would not protect itself, but at least it would hurt the attacking creature.

wtf?
but at least it would hurt the attacking creature.

Exactly!

Rules Advisor

The Basic rulebook, read it! A lot of basic questions are answered there!

How to autocard :
Type [c]Black Lotus[/c] to get Black Lotus.
Type [c=Black Lotus]The Overpowered One[/c] to get The Overpowered One.

wtf?

Planeswalkers do no damage to creatures attacking them. Blocking creatures do!

wtf?

Planeswalkers are permanents, so all you need is a way to turn permanents into creatures.

For example, with Mycosynth Lattice and March of the Machines: each planeswalker is now an artifact creature planeswalker.

Other option: Enchanted Evening and Opalescence to have enchantment creature planeswalkers.

You can also use Liquimetal Coating instead of the Lattice, and/or Tezzeret, Agent of Bolas instead of the March.

Let's say you have now a 5/5 artifact-creature-planeswalker Tezzeret. He can block creatures attacking you or him. If a creature attacks him and he doesn't block, he'll just be damaged (losing loyalty counters and having marked damage on him). But if he blocks it, he'll deal 5 damage to the creature (and receive the same amount of damage with the same effects on him).

[<o>]
also effects like Leyline of Punishment could make Gideon's day a little scarier.

DCI Certified Judge & Goth/Industrial/EBM/Indie/Alternative/80's-Wave DJ
DJ Vortex

DCI Certified Judge since July 13, 2013
DCI #5209514320

My Wife's Makeup Artist Page <-- cool stuff - check it out

Taking offers on my set of unopened limited edition full art judge foil basic lands, message me if interested.

wtf?

Planeswalkers do no damage to creatures attacking them. Blocking creatures do!

Yes, but I was talking about a planeswalker creature blocking a creature attacking it. It can block the creature attacking it. And this is not pointless as the planwswalker creature would deal damage to the attacking creature. I don't know how could I write it so it is more understandable :P

Where the brain can bend is in that, if a planeswalker is removed from combat, it stops being attacked.  So if Player A attacks Planeswalker B with a first strike creature and several non-first-strike creatures, a creature-animated planeswalker (like will_dice's examples above) could throw itself in front of itself to block for itself, choosing to block the first striker, set up a regeneration shield somehow, take lethal damage from the first striker, regenerate, regeneration removes the Planeswalker from combat, then all those unblocked non-first-strikers find themselves dealing their damage to nothing at all (more accurately: not dealing any damage at all) while Planeswalker B looks on and makes trollface at them.

Or at least, that's how I read 506.4 .
could throw itself in front of itself to block for itself, choosing to block the first striker, set up a regeneration shield somehow, take lethal damage from the first striker, regenerate, regeneration removes the Planeswalker from combat, 

Note that the planeswalker would lose Loyalty as well as have damage marked on it, so it might go to the graveyard (for having zero loyalty) even if it regenerates (to prevent destruction due to lethal damage).

Of course, a 5/5 artifact creature planeswalker with 6 loyalty would survive taking 5 first strike damage if you regenerated it.

~ Tim  

I am Blue/White Reached DCI Rating 1800 on 28/10/11. :D
Sig
56287226 wrote:
190106923 wrote:
Not bad. But what happens flavor wise when one kamahl kills the other one?
Zis iz a sign uf deep psychological troma, buried in zer subconscious mind. By keelink himzelf, Kamahl iz physically expressink hiz feelinks uf self-disgust ova hiz desire for hiz muzzer. [/GermanPsychologistVoice]
56957928 wrote:
57799958 wrote:
That makes no sense to me. If they spelled the ability out on the card in full then it would not be allowed in a mono-black Commander deck, but because they used a keyword to save space it is allowed? ~ Tim
Yup, just like you can have Birds of paradise in a mono green deck but not Noble Hierarch. YAY COLOR IDENTITY
56287226 wrote:
56888618 wrote:
Is algebra really that difficult?
Survey says yes.
56883218 wrote:
57799958 wrote:
You want to make a milky drink. You squeeze a cow.
I love this description. Like the cows are sponges filled with milk. I can see it all Nick Parks claymation-style with the cow's eyes bugging out momentarily as a giant farmer squeezes it like a squeaky dog toy, and milk shoots out of it.
56287226 wrote:
56735468 wrote:
And no judge will ever give you a game loss for playing snow covered lands.
I now have a new goal in life. ;)
...or 1 point of first strike deathtouch.  (Come at me, Glissa!)  My scenario is getting exceedingly convoluted.

Interesting note; I hadn't realized animated-planeswalker damage from blocking would cause loyalty loss.  I had thought that loyalty loss was entirely restricted to damage from unblocked-or-trampling attackers, and redirected damage originally destined to its controller.

Interesting note; I hadn't realized animated-planeswalker damage from blocking would cause loyalty loss.  I had thought that loyalty loss was entirely restricted to damage from unblocked-or-trampling attackers, and redirected damage originally destined to its controller.

Wait, then what would Magmaquake do under that logic? It's not 'redirected' damage and it's not an attacker.

In short, damage is damage is damage. It doesn't mater why or how the damage was dealt. It's damage, and it's a planeswalker in the receiving end, so loyalty counters are removed; that's all the rule says.

[<o>]
OK, now you're just piling on.  I've already admitted I was mistaken and hadn't realized how it worked, to reply with extra reinforcement that my logic was wrong after I've already admitted my logic was wrong is unnecessary roughness.  I've already conceded the tackle and taken a knee, you don't need to hit me again.

then if you weren't playing a wussy game like football, that stops frequently, you'd be getting into the scrum and trying to assist your team in recovering the ball to move down field and get the try.

DCI Certified Judge & Goth/Industrial/EBM/Indie/Alternative/80's-Wave DJ
DJ Vortex

DCI Certified Judge since July 13, 2013
DCI #5209514320

My Wife's Makeup Artist Page <-- cool stuff - check it out

Taking offers on my set of unopened limited edition full art judge foil basic lands, message me if interested.

OK, now you're just piling on.  I've already admitted I was mistaken and hadn't realized how it worked, to reply with extra reinforcement that my logic was wrong after I've already admitted my logic was wrong is unnecessary roughness.  I've already conceded the tackle and taken a knee, you don't need to hit me again.

Sorry, I wasn't trying to be rude, just curious, to better understand that line of thinking; may be relevant when another player with similar logic shows up with in another thread here.

[<o>]