Please help, new to MTG

19 posts / 0 new
Last post
I am new to MTG and i am wanting to build a standard R/W deck. I picked up Aurelia the warleader in a booster pack the other day and i am wanting to build around her. I have heard mixed reviews about this card but for some reason I'm drawn to it. I will probably end up getting another one so i have two. I intially bought a RTR wrack and rage deck, so i already have those cards to build with...... Any ideas of what cards to put into the deck will be appreciated.

Thanks
Do you want to build a deck to play with your friends casually and have fun or to play at Friday Night Magic and win?
I am new to MTG and i am wanting to build a standard R/W deck. I picked up Aurelia the warleader in a booster pack the other day and i am wanting to build around her. I have heard mixed reviews about this card but for some reason I'm drawn to it. I will probably end up getting another one so i have two. I intially bought a RTR wrack and rage deck, so i already have those cards to build with...... Any ideas of what cards to put into the deck will be appreciated.

Thanks

You could try starting with the Boros Battalion intro deck. You can tune it up as you acquire cards.

more with friends right now just to get a feel for it but then move to Friday Night Magic. a couple of my friends and i are going to buy a box of boosters and have our own draft tomorrow so i will probably wait to see what we get before buying the intro deck. im the only one using white out of the three of us so i shouldnt have a problem getting any of those as they come along but we are all using red so thats where the drafting is going to play a big role...... what are some reds i need to keep an eye out for?
what are some reds i need to keep an eye out for?

The Rakdos deck you bought has a pretty good start for the portion. The creatures in it won't be of much help but the spells should be of more use.

I am new to MTG and i am wanting to build a standard R/W deck. I picked up Aurelia the warleader in a booster pack the other day and i am wanting to build around her

You may be better served in the New and Returning Players forum.

The problem with Aurelia Warleader is that she costs . Most aggressive decks try to win by turn 4 or 5. She won't have an impact until turn 6.

You could try starting with the Boros Battalion intro deck. You can tune it up as you acquire cards.

I would not recommend this. The cards in the intro deck are so weak, that they are really only good for players to have something to learn to play with. If he can pilot Wrack and Rage, I'd skip the intro deck. The Rally and Rout event deck might be a more interesting choice when it comes out later this month:

www.wizards.com/Magic/Magazine/Article.a...
I agree with Hreth, the Inro decks are purposefully very underpowered and are geared for learning purposes. I would suggest the Boros Event deck coming out soon. Has a competetive edge but not so good your friends will be unhappy.
I agree with Hreth, the Inro decks are purposefully very underpowered and are geared for learning purposes. I would suggest the Boros Event deck coming out soon. Has a competetive edge but not so good your friends will be unhappy.

My friends would destroy the event deck so i probably will not go that route, but i will be using the spoiler as a guide for right now. I will be going to get the box tonight so I was thinking about picking up a couple cloudshifts.
My friends would destroy the event deck so i probably will not go that route, but i will be using the spoiler as a guide for right now. I will be going to get the box tonight so I was thinking about picking up a couple cloudshifts.

If your friends would destroy the event deck, then you definitely don't want the intro deck. If you are still learning how to play, you first need to focus on that. You could have the best deck in the world, and still lose to your friends if you haven't mastered playing first. I tell my daughter that Magic is 1/3 the player, 1/3 the deck, and 1/3 luck, which evens out in the long run.

If you know how to play, and you just want to deck, then I don't see what box you would need to buy: Just design or find a deck list you want to use, and buy the cards you need.

Is Cloudshift really going to make a difference? It seems like a two-card combo that is a win-more condition. Instead, you need cards that allow you to win in the games where you don't draw Aurelia, the Warleader or, more likely, the game will already be over because it is T6.

This is the deck list of the Boros-ish deck that placed in SCO Atlanta this weekend:

Andrew Schneider Boros Aggro

As in beat it or literally destroy it? I started Standard with an event deck and was very happy with it. I didn't win the tournament but it was definitely better than any home brews in my play group.
As in beat it or literally destroy it? I started Standard with an event deck and was very happy with it. I didn't win the tournament but it was definitely better than any home brews in my play group.

The Wrack and Rage event deck, with a full complement of Blood Crypt and Dragonskull Summit should do reasonably well at FNM with just a few substitutions.

If you want to play , then play . If you want to play Aurelia, then play Aurelia. Don't let anyone talk you out of it.

If your intent is just to play Aurelia, then there are a couple of deck-archtypes to look at: the best fit is probably - which has a name but I'm not that big of a Magic-geek. This deck uses a little mana-acceleration, usually Avacyn's Pilgrim and Farseek and uses such charming creatures as Loxodon Smiter, Restoration Angel, Huntmaster of the Fells, Thragtusk, and Aurelia. You could easily spend close to $600 building this deck.

Option two is a Reanimator - a deck that discards high-casting cost creatures and plays them from the graveyard. This is usually accomplished via Unburial Rites. These decks are typically :gmwm: but that's not necessarily a problem since you don't plan to hard-cast the beaters anyway. Personally, I don't think Aurelia is a good substitute for the cards typically used in this style of deck or is well suited to it anyway, so I don't think it's a great fit.

Let's talk about for a minute. There are several avanues of approach that people are taking: one common one is basically Red-Deck-Wins with a splash of . I've got a deck like this that I designed the day Boros Charm was spoiled. Your Wrack and Rage deck is actually somewhat similar to RDW or at least it shares many common cards. This deck would not be a good place to sitck Aurelia but it might not suck too badly if you incorporated some cards to allow you to ditch her if you got her too early.

A more -oriented Boros deck would be better suited to using Aurelia. You need to survive a good few turns so an aggro approach is not going to work. You need to survive long enough to get the mana and then you need some creatures available when she does show up for her to do much good. Boros Charm is a card that fits, Boros Reckoner has two-for-one built-in, and you might want to use some of the very many cards that can help ease the pain or slow the bleeding. Blind Obedience is a card that could fit here.

Pick a strategy, and post if you have questions and maybe someone willing to actually help you do what you want will respond.
Could always play a ramp naya deck anyways without using expensive cards. Any deck in standard considered teir 1/2 is probably a couple hundred dollars anyways.

Why not start with a list of both set of elves (Avacyn's Pilgrim and Arbor Elf), run some Loxodon Smiters, Farseek, Frontline Medic, Spark Trooper, Firemane Avenger, and your angel. Then set where that takes you.
If you want to play , then play . If you want to play Aurelia, then play Aurelia. Don't let anyone talk you out of it.

This this this. It's part of what makes magic magical! Play whatever you want it's all up to you, I run crazy decks all the time just to get some use outa cards I have to many of and never see played lol. My wild defiance deck is my fav ATM and I'm still having pretty good success with it even though its sub par.

you would most likely get better results posting in casual or new player sections until you get a handle on what's up. This section is for decks that are built to win, I'd say read up on all that's said here to get to know great info.

never let anyone demand you play X, play what you want and accept what you get as responses as suggestions.  Good luck in magic and hope you enjoy. 

I don't know that anyone has tried to talk him out of it. However, he started out by saying he is new to magic, and so he should at least know that it takes some careful thought to make a six-mana creature playable in a standard-legal R/W deck.

so we did that draft yesterday and i ended up winnig 5 out of 7 games against three of my friends. i really got a better feel on how to build a deck and which cards i lliked and which ones i didnt. i ended up pulling the majority of the cards that i wanted and got some good cards to trade for the ones i did not get. now im just trying to tweek it down to 60 cards. thanks for all the help and suggestions. i will post what i build and see if you guys think that it will be decent lol.

thanks again 
Could always play a ramp naya deck anyways without using expensive cards. Any deck in standard considered teir 1/2 is probably a couple hundred dollars anyways.

Why not start with a list of both set of elves (Avacyn's Pilgrim and Arbor Elf), run some Loxodon Smiters, Farseek, Frontline Medic, Spark Trooper, Firemane Avenger, and your angel. Then set where that takes you.

You can cut much of the expense out, but the lands alone are going to cost pretty big money. More colors equals more money. Naya is probably the best way to play Aurelia, but the cost of a three-color deck is substantially more than that of a two-color.

You can cut much of the expense out, but the lands alone are going to cost pretty big money. More colors equals more money. Naya is probably the best way to play Aurelia, but the cost of a three-color deck is substantially more than that of a two-color.

Good point. The lands are the first thing I get in sets through so I'm used to that shaping how costs are equated in my head.
Sign In to post comments