Multiple Madcap Skils?

10 posts / 0 new
Last post
What happens if a creature has multiple instances of Madcap Skills on a single creature? If it has two on it it obviously gets +6/+0, but what's the minimum number of blockers required? I seems like it should be 3 or 4
And there's the Creepy Doll That always follows you It's got a ruined eye That's always open And there's a Creepy Doll That always follows you It's got a pretty mouth To swallow you whole
Only two blocking creatures are required.

Madcap Skills #1 asks "are two or more creatures blocking?" and gets a "yes". Madcap Skills #2 asks the same question and also gets a "yes". Therefore, all the blocking restrictions are being obeyed.
If one effect says it can't be blocked except by two or more creatures and another effect also says it can't be blocked except by two or more creatures, that just means it can't be blocked except by two or more creatures.
The creature will have multiple effects requiring it to be blocked by at least two creatures. Most of the time, this won't matter -- I can't think of a situation where it would.

If Madcap Skills used the phrase "additional creature" instead of being explicitly two, then you'd have a different end result.
Still 2. Both auras set independent blocking restrictions, which are both fulfilled if the defending player blocks with 2 creatures.
can't be blocked except by two or more creatures

is equivalent to

can't be blocked by only one creature 

having this restriction more than once has no additional effect

DCI Certified Judge & Goth/Industrial/EBM/Indie/Alternative/80's-Wave DJ
DJ Vortex

DCI Certified Judge since July 13, 2013
DCI #5209514320

My Wife's Makeup Artist Page <-- cool stuff - check it out

Taking offers on my set of unopened limited edition full art judge foil basic lands, message me if interested.

but if you put 2, or in my case 3, madcap enchantments on one creature that doesn't mean you ignore the other enchantment..  the blocker still has to contend with all enchantments..  Since the enchanted creature gets +6 or +9..  that would also mean that it has to be blocked by 4 or 6 creatures since the card does say by two or more..  having the extra madcap card(s) means it has to blocked by more than two..  you just can'y ignore either enchantment enchantment..  You have 2 creatures blocking for one madcap skills..  but if you have another madcap skills you have to have 2 creatures blocking that enchanment as well.. It's up to the blocker to full fill the enchantment requirements for each enchantment.. not the offensive player..

that would also mean that it has to be blocked by 4 or 6 creatures since the card does say by two or more..
I'm not sure why you would ressurect a year old thread to give incorrect information. 

mrbinky wrote:

but if you put 2, or in my case 3, madcap enchantments on one creature that doesn't mean you ignore the other enchantment..  the blocker still has to contend with all enchantments..  Since the enchanted creature gets +6 or +9..  that would also mean that it has to be blocked by 4 or 6 creatures since the card does say by two or more..  having the extra madcap card(s) means it has to blocked by more than two..  you just can'y ignore either enchantment enchantment..  You have 2 creatures blocking for one madcap skills..  but if you have another madcap skills you have to have 2 creatures blocking that enchanment as well.. It's up to the blocker to full fill the enchantment requirements for each enchantment.. not the offensive player..

It is true that none of the enchantments can be disregarded, but you must realize that some effects DO combine to produce additional effects while some DON'T.

For example, Giant Growth gives +3/+3 to a creature. Casting two of them will sum up to +6/+6. Notice the use of the addition sign '+'.

On the other hand, if I give a creature Indestructible, I am stating that 'this creature cannot be destroyed'. Giving it Indestructible twice won't do anything new; it still cannot be destroyed. Saying 'this cannot be destroyed' twice doesn't help.

Read Madcap carefully: 'this creature can't be blocked, except by two or more creatures'. Saying it twice doesn't do anything more.

Madcap could as well have been written thusly: 'this creature can't be blocked by only one creature'

Try & say it out loud. C'mon, try it!

Then say it twice: it doesn't do anything more, does it?

Compare with High Ground; more than one WILL combine for more effect. Notice the use of the word 'additional'.

It's not Logic, it's Magic!

mrbinky wrote:

that would also mean that it has to be blocked by 4 or 6 creatures since the card does say by two or more.. 

Each MS says the creature has to be blocked by two or more creatures, yes. But saying that two or three or seventeen times is not any different from saying it once. If it's blocked by two creatures, that requirement is met, no matter how many times you reiterate the requirement.

To come at it a slightly different way, there is absolutely nothing that prevents the same two creatures from counting toward the requirement for each MS in play. That's your assumption - you will search in vain for anything in the rulebook that supports it, because it's wrong. And it certainly doesn't follow from the text of Madcap Skills, in fact it flatly contradicts that text - no matter how you slice it, 6 does not equal 2.

Jeff Heikkinen DCI Rules Advisor since Dec 25, 2011