This is a Contest: Card the Names 15: Gryffs

60 posts / 0 new
Last post
It's finally back!

This is another contest. The rules are simple.

This contest will last for 24hrs or until 10 people enter. I will give considerations if it appears you have been ninja'd.

Today's Theme, Gryffs, was chosen by AzureShade.
Choose one of the following names:

• Moonsage's Mount

• Slender-neck Steed

• Springsage Skynight (Skyknight)*

• Sky Cavalry

• Heron's Gaze

Now make a card to fit to fit your chosen name.
You will be judged on card quality and how well your card fits the name. Interpret the names however you want (even Un cards) but it has to make sense and the card design has to be able to stand on its own. Convince me that if your card were handed of to me in a design file I would choose the name you created it to match.

Research material for the curious - www.wizards.com/Magic/Magazine/Article.a.... Your entiry doesn't need to conform to this flavour by any means but it is available for your reference.

But wait... YOU COULD WIN FABULOUS PRIZES!1!1!
The winner chooses the theme for the next set of names (try to keep it somewhat vague please) and I'll make up their card complete with art in MSE! WOW!

Alright, let's go!

*I made a typo, therefore you are allowed to abuse it like the terrible person you no doubt are. The intended name is up for grabs too however.
I figured I should keep track of previous contests somewhere. May as well be here.

..."window.parent.tinyMCE.get('post_content').onLoad.dispatch();" contenteditable="true" />

1. community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/758... - No theme, won by Sebanovich

2. community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/758... - No theme, won by Jessica_Morgan

3. community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/758... - Music theme, won by AzureShade

4. community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/758... - Flightless Birds theme, won by SleetFox

5. community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/758... - Science, won by Dudibus

6. community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/758... - Evolution & Adages, won by Edacade

7. community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/758... - Time, won by rabble527

8. community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/758... - No theme, won by 3-7-15-1-292

9. community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/758... - Apostrophes, won by FirstTurnKill

10. community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/758... -Time, won by Taramoor

11. community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/758... -Luck, won by FirstTurnKill

12. community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/758... -War, won by AzureShade

13. community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/758... -Birds, won by AzureShade

14. community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/758... Gryffs, won by ___

Moonsage's Mount 
Creature - Gryff
Flying
: Target creature gains flying until end of turn.  Whenever that creature deals combat damage to a player or planeswalker this turn, draw a card.
Some say serenity can be found on the wings of angels.  Clearly they've never ridden a gryff. - Olgard of the Skiltfolk
2/1

@mikemearls The office is basically empty this week, which opens up all sorts of possibilities for low shenanigans

@mikemearls In essence, all those arguments I lost are being unlost. Won, if you will. We're doing it MY way, baby.

@biotech66 aren't you the boss anyway? isn't "DO IT OR I FIRE YOU!" still an option?

@mikemearls I think Perkins would throat punch me if I ever tried that. And I'd give him a glowing quarterly review for it.

Excuse my while I viciously abuse your typo.

Springsage Skynight
Creature - Gryff Specter
Flying
Whenever Springsage Skynight deals combat damage to a player, return target creature that player controls to its owner's hand, then that player discards cards equal to the number of creatures that left the battlefield this turn.
The stain of corrupted magic within it can turn noon to midnight and hope to despair.
2/2

What typo

What typo

I am wondering this as well.
*If there is a typo in a crd name, both the typo and intended wording are fair game.
My guess is "Skynight" instead of "Skyknight"
My guess is "Skynight" instead of "Skyknight"

We have a wiiiiiiinnnneeeeeer.
Heron's Gaze

Each player returns to the battlefield all permanents in his or her graveyard that were sacrificed this turn.

Flashback

"And lo, flickering shadows, as spirits blessed the cultists - to bring some back to life/ So those may see the error of their ways into the night." - Sigarda's Canto, Verse CLXVII
Springsage Skyknight
Creature - Human Knight
Flying, firststrike
As long as you control a Plant creature and are being attacked, you may cast Springsage Skyknight without paying its mana cost and as though it had flash.
"Turn back.  This Wood is protected."
2/2

EDIT = to be clear; the human knight is riding a Gryff; see Gryff Vanguard
Wording looks weird. Hmm...how about...

"During the declare blockers step, if at least one creature is attacking you and you control a Plant, you may cast ~ without paying its mana cost and as though it had flash." 
Sky Cavalry 
Sorcery
Put a 2/2 white Gryff creature token onto the battlefield.
Then, you may search your library for any number of cards named ~ and exile those cards. You may put a 2/2 white Gryff creature token onto the battlefield for each card exiled this way.
Springsage Skyknight
EDIT = to be clear; the human knight is riding a Gryff; see Gryff Vanguard

Whether you card is Gryff related or not is irrelevant, so long as it is based on one of the Gryff themed names. I should probably get around to editing the OP to clarify that.
Heron's Gaze -
Instant
Until end of turn, spells and abilities opponents control can't cause target creature to be sacrificed, and it gains flying and hexproof.
"Sigarda, be my sword and shield."
I feel the need to let you all know, Griffs are a type of griffin. They shouldn't be "Creature-gryff" they should be "Creature-Griffin"
Innistrad has seen any of the elegant, heron-headed species of griffin known as the gryff.

~Planeswalker's Guide to Avacyn Restored, Part I  

Sky Cavalry

Creature-Human Knight
When Sky Cavalry enters the battlefield, put two 1/1 blue Griffin creature tokens with flying onto the battlefield.
Whenever a creature with flying you control deals combat damage to an opponent, draw a card.
2/2
Heron's Gaze 1wg
Enchantment-aura
Enchant creature
Enchanted creature has flying and hexproof.
If enchanted creature would be sacrificed, instead return it to its controller's hand.
All that remained of my savior was a solitary, ivory feather; its presence yet brings me strength.
You are Red/Blue!
You are Red/Blue!
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
You are both rational and emotional. You value creation and discovery, and feel strongly about what I create. At best, you're innovative and intuitive. At worst, you're scattered and unpredictable.
Heron's Gaze 1wg Enchantment-aura Enchant creature Enchanted creature has flying and hexproof. If enchanted creature would be sacrificed, instead return it to its controller's hand. All that remained of my savior was a solitary, ivory feather; its presence yet brings me strength.

Hrmph.  *chuckles*
Moonsage's Mount
Creature - Griffin
Flying
Sacrifice Moonsage's Mount: When target spell or permanent is put into a graveyard this turn, return it to its owner's hand.
“There's a special kind of loyalty you get from traveling the Multiverse with someone.”
—Tamiyo, the Moon Sage
2/3

A little slice of Tamiyo's ultimate. I think it could be constructed playable. Art would depict a Gryff.
Normally I'd choose the one no one else is picking, but that one seems boring. Hrm...
Heron's Gaze -- :WM::UM:
Instant (C)

Draw two cards and gain 2 life.

Lost man of thirst fell at a pond to feast upon his reward.
His eyes met with the Heron's Gaze, and now he seeks no more.
-Children's limerick of, "The Seeker and the Lord"-
Official archnemesis of magicpablo666 Host of Reactionary Proud owner of "The Terrible Cube" The altimis Archive I'm baking lands!!! Beginner of GROMA
Notable Quotables:
58060728 wrote:
I carefully examine the walls of the room in a determined effort to not follow the GMs plot.
Moonsage's Mount 1UU
Creature-Gryff

Flying
TAP: Tap target creature.
Discard a card: Untap Moonsage's Mount 

1/3

Slender-neck Steed
Craeture - Gryff
Soulbond
As long as ~is paired with another creature, both creatures have flying. As long as ~ is paired with a knight, each of those creatures gets +2/+0 and have first strike.
If noncombat damage would be dealt to ~, sacrifice ~ and each creature paired with it.
"As fragile as it is deadly, only the finest knights can master the art of Gryff riding."
3/2

IMAGE(http://i1.minus.com/jbcBXM4z66fMtK.jpg)

192884403 wrote:
surely one can't say complex conditional passive language is bad grammar ?
Contest closed! We now have 12 entries. The contest is supposed to close at 10 entries but since the last 3 were so close together I'll assume the last two got ninja'd. It's probably better this way since it means that all the card names get used; and hey, 10 was kind of arbitrary anyways.

I'll probably get to marking tommorow but i may not finish tommorow even if I get around to starting it then.

Edit- hmmm, maybe I'll let ChaosLight in too (assuming I get an entry). I'm in a good mood and there was an obvious expression of intent to join.
Wording looks weird. Hmm...how about...

"During the declare blockers step, if at least one creature is attacking you and you control a Plant, you may cast ~ without paying its mana cost and as though it had flash." 

Before blockers are declared,
  if you're being attacked
   and you control a plant creature ;
    You may cast this without paying its mana cost.

president obombya speaks anger prejudice and a time for US foreign air strike while the US worries about its rights

Let 'em burn [Frozen Parody]
pump
*poke*

@mikemearls The office is basically empty this week, which opens up all sorts of possibilities for low shenanigans

@mikemearls In essence, all those arguments I lost are being unlost. Won, if you will. We're doing it MY way, baby.

@biotech66 aren't you the boss anyway? isn't "DO IT OR I FIRE YOU!" still an option?

@mikemearls I think Perkins would throat punch me if I ever tried that. And I'd give him a glowing quarterly review for it.

prod
prod

That sounds like it hurts...
Official archnemesis of magicpablo666 Host of Reactionary Proud owner of "The Terrible Cube" The altimis Archive I'm baking lands!!! Beginner of GROMA
Notable Quotables:
58060728 wrote:
I carefully examine the walls of the room in a determined effort to not follow the GMs plot.
prod

That sounds like it hurts...

Well....

*'Nother poke*

Hrmph. *chuckles*

wait, why? lol
You are Red/Blue!
You are Red/Blue!
You are both rational and emotional. You value creation and discovery, and feel strongly about what I create. At best, you're innovative and intuitive. At worst, you're scattered and unpredictable.
wait, why? lol

Just because it was fairly similar to mine.  *grins*

oh, I didn't see yours I sorry
I just thought "hey Heron = Sigarda" I really should have looked at others, my apologies good sir
You are Red/Blue!
You are Red/Blue!
oh, I didn't see yours I sorry I just thought "hey Heron = Sigarda" I really should have looked at others, my apologies good sir

That was my thought process too.  *grins*  No apologies necessary.  I was more amused than anything else.
Bumplestiltskin
Notable Quotables:
58060728 wrote:

IMAGE(http://i1.minus.com/jbcBXM4z66fMtK.jpg)

192884403 wrote:
surely one can't say complex conditional passive language is bad grammar ?
Well aparently people have been taking note of my tardiness. I'm not sure if that makes it more or less embarrassing. Plan A was always to just update it silently and maybe bump it to the front page.

AzureShade's Moonsage's Mount 8/10
Show
Pretty nice. Mounty in that it helps your other guy fly into battle, moony in that it draws you cards. I should have worked an RCMP joke in there somewhere. This is exactly what a moonsage's mount should look like. The Innistrad flavour comes through loud and clear. It looks nicely balanced and fun to play with. There is one oversight though- this works with your opponent's creatures and lets them beat your face in! Bad gryff! Bad! Well I guess you  still draw  cards when they they beat your face in, but that's a really weird thing for your holy mount to do to you. That actually sounds like a cool card design but I can't even begin to guess what a card that's intended to work that way would be called.

JessicaMorgan's Springsage Skynight 4.5/10
Show
Poor, poor Blizzard Specter. I mean he wasn't the best card, but he was pretty decent. And now this guy comes along and totally obsoletes him (well except for the stricter color requrement (edit-and the lower toughness)). Blizzy ranks a solid 4 stars on Gatherer and he only lets you choose between one of the new guys effects, plus he didn't let you choose the creature to be bounced. I don't think your card is broken, but I do think it's way better than it should be.
Welp, he's a "skynight". Being a specter is apropriate. I'm not seeing the Spingsage though. This guy doesn't look like much of a nature loving healer (or any other concept that would fit the name really). Granted, I suppose he's suppose to be corrupted be also doesn't look like the opposite of a sprinsage either. I'm thinking you just saw the typo and ran with it. The result was funny but kind of ignored the part of the name that wasn't "skynight".

Esterdi's Heron's Gaze 7/10
Show
The flavour text backs up the idea behind the card well. It's a little weird that Sigardaa would return cultists back to life though. It's kind of taboo on Innistrad, so maybe it was meant as some kind of sick punishment? Kidding aside I can't really expect you to know everything about Innistrad flavour. THe card's ability still doesn't seem all that much like being stared at by a bird though.
The power level on this is hard to nail down exactly. It's prett nuts though. Sacrifice everything to fuel some big effect and get it all back. There must be a thousand ways to go infinite with that, and with flashback you'll always be able to get at least three sacrifices out of your guys. The fact that it effects both players is pretty much irrelevant, since most of the time your opponents don't sacrifice anything unless you make them, and if you're running this why would you make them? The ability is original though, so there's that going for it.

Koridian's Springsage Skyknight 6.5/10
Show
I'm getting a major Qasali Ambusher vibe here. This guy is harder to set off but is also more powerful. Your skynight is, in fact, hella powerful. I think he checks out though. My major criticism of the card's mechanics is that aside from the plant thing it seems pretty mowhite. Sure, the green ties into the plant thing, but if you don't exploit the plant ability then it's just a :W::G: flying first striker. Having to pay :G: for your flying first striker is hella weird.
Flavourwise it all checks out. The dude doesn't like it when you go after defensless plants and the rest of the card seems skynighty.

More to come when it is less midnighty.
Setting aside the fact that white/green are the colors which have the least amount of sacrifice (specially in Innistrad), and that Sigarda is the one who keeps things from getting sacrificed, and that Faith's Reward is much more universal AND one-sided AND less mana intensive.
Whatever.

AzureShade's Moonsage's Mount 8/10
Show
Pretty nice. Mounty in that it helps your other guy fly into battle, moony in that it draws you cards. I should have worked an RCMP joke in there somewhere. This is exactly what a moonsage's mount should look like. The Innistrad flavour comes through loud and clear. It looks nicely balanced and fun to play with. There is one oversight though- this works with your opponent's creatures and lets them beat your face in! Bad gryff! Bad! Well I guess you  still draw  cards when they they beat your face in, but that's a really weird thing for your holy mount to do to you. That actually sounds like a cool card design but I can't even begin to guess what a card that's intended to work that way would be called.

Think if the uses in a multiplayer environment.  Your Gryff is helping one opponent hurt another and you get cards out of the deal for the assistance.

Setting aside the fact that white/green are the colors which have the least amount of sacrifice (specially in Innistrad), and that Sigarda is the one who keeps things from getting sacrificed, and that Faith's Reward is much more universal AND one-sided AND less mana intensive.
Whatever.

That's a good point. It's still an extremely powerful card, but I can see now that I misjudged the power level. I also missed the mechanical connection with Sigarda. My lack of standard experience is really showing here. I've adjusted your mark.

Edit- oh wow, I was even more off the mark than I thought. I've made questionable calls before but, daaamn.
SimonGlume's Sky Cavalry 6/10
Show
I'm liking the concept here. It's like a bombier Sqaudron Hawk. This is undercosted though. Assuming you have 4x of these in your deck, you could get four 2/2s for :W::W:, plus you get to thin your deck by three cards. Either this should just put more copies of itself into your hand instead of effectively casting them, or it needs some sort of additional cost. Throw a multikicker on there and it would be pretty sweet.
As is, I don't know if this is actually brrken, but it's format defining at a minimum and I'm uncomfortable with it.
Flavourwise, I would actually put this above Sqaudron Hawk and co. Well I would, except for one little omission; you forgot to give them flying. I'm guessing that was a typo but I still have to dock you marks for it.

Rumor's Heron's Gaze 6/10
Show
Man, I really have to watch out for Innistrad references don't I? The first card that was a callback to Sigarda caught me totally off guard. At least I know why Heron's Gaze was such a popular choice now.
Anyways, your card. The mechanics come straight off of Sigarda and the flavour text even mentions her specifically so kudos for doing your research. The card isn't particularily original (which always makes marking hard. Some of the best cards in the game are straight up rip-ofs but they're still great cards), but it is solid. A little oddly specific with that anit-saccing bit, but that's not neccesarily bad either. 

HairlessThoctar's Sky Cavalry 6/10
Show
That's a good point about the Gryffs, but really shouldn't they be hippogriffs?
A skynight that comes with a gryff fits the flavour. One that comes with two gryffs is a little weird but perhaps justifiable. The fact that on top of all that he draws you cards? That's a little weird. I know Gryff Vanguard draws you a card, but beyond that bit of precedence I don't see any flavourful connection between gryffs and card draw. Maybe it would work if the knioght were some kind of tactician mapping the battlefield from above or something, but there's no connotatins of anything like that.
So this is a sort of semi-Coastal Piracy-ish-thingy? That's pretty cool. I can't beleive that the effect hasn't been done more often actually.This looks like a really fun card to build  adeck around. The power level seems alright, exciting and powerful, but not broken. Putting the ability on a creature makes it more fragile than Coastal Piracy and the ability is more narrow, but on the other hand, it also comes with two free dudes to draw you cards, but on the gripping hand, since this comes out turn 5 and the tokens are only fragile 1/1s it checks out. On that note 1/1 is pretty small for a gryff. They look graceful, but your guys are downright fragile.