Multiple abilities question

7 posts / 0 new
Last post
I am curious as to the rules regarding multiple abililties on a single card/permanent. The specific question is how an ability resolves if all text of the ability is in one string of text on the card versus paragraph breaks. For example, how would the enter the battlefield ability of Thundermaw Hellkite be affected if something were to disrupt the first clause of the ability(i.e. protection from red)? Would the creatures(with flying) still be tapped if the damage didn't go through?

Also, how would something like Martial Glory work if, for example, I target my opponents creature with the first ability, and my creature with the second and my opponent gives his creature hexproof in response? Does the second ability still resolve?

I've been trying to find the rules in the comprehensive rules that mention this to no avail. Basically, I want to know if abilities like this continue to resolve even if the first part is disrupted, or if its countered. 

Sorry if this is confusing, but thanks in advance.

Also, I would appreciate the rule from the comrehensive rules if you find it!
I am Blue/Green
I am Blue/Green
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
I am both rational and instinctive. I value self-knowledge and understanding of the world; my ultimate goal is self-improvement and improvement of the world around me. At best, I am focused and methodical; at worst, I am obsessive and amoral.
For example, how would the enter the battlefield ability of Thundermaw Hellkite be affected if something were to disrupt the first clause of the ability(i.e. protection from red)? Would the creatures(with flying) still be tapped if the damage didn't go through?

Yes, they'll get tapped. Only the part Protection forbids will be skipped.

It's not Logic, it's Magic!

Also, how would something like Martial Glory work if, for example, I target my opponents creature with the first ability, and my creature with the second and my opponent gives his creature hexproof in response? Does the second ability still resolve?

Yes. There's actually a rule for that:

609.3. If an effect attempts to do something impossible, it does only as much as possible.

But be careful:

608.2b If the spell or ability specifies targets, it checks whether the targets are still legal. (...) The spell or ability is countered if all its targets, for every instance of the word “target,” are now illegal...

Thanks, does 609.3 work with the abilities that are all strung together on one line as well? I'm trying to think of a better example than hellkite...

Maybe this will be a good example. Hands of Binding. Say, for example, I cast this and target my opponents creature which is already tapped. He responds with something that says his creature can't be tapped by spells or abilities I control(if that even exists). Will it stay tapped on his next untap, or will it untap because the first part of the ability did not resolve?
I am Blue/Green
I am Blue/Green
I am both rational and instinctive. I value self-knowledge and understanding of the world; my ultimate goal is self-improvement and improvement of the world around me. At best, I am focused and methodical; at worst, I am obsessive and amoral.
It would remain tapped.  Aslong as the spell/ability is not countered it will do as much as possible.

The prevention of untapping from Hands of Binding is not dependent on Hands of Binding actually tapping the creature.  If Hands of Binding had been worded along the lines of "Tap target creature.  If the creature is tapped in this manner, the creature does not untap during its controller's next untap phase." then preventing the creature from tapping would break the second part.
Right, that makes sense. And I think I found a better example. Augur of Bolas. If you look at the top three cards, and choose not to reveal or fail to find an instant/sorcery, you still have to put the three cards on the bottom of your library.
I am Blue/Green
I am Blue/Green