Article - "The Top 10 Planeswalkers in EDH"

19 posts / 0 new
Last post
www.thecgrealm.com/events2.php?id=658

Hey folks!  Check out my latest article, ranking the Top Ten Planeswalkers in EDH.  Discuss!  Argue!  Enjoy!
Jace beleren is probably more valuable than vraska. If she could explode two things before having to plus I could really see her being better. Primal hunter is probably better than wildspeaker. The original garruk plays well with awesome lands and is cheaper, but I think this is one where the expensive one is best. Primal hunter is very likely to draw you 3+ cards, often sticking around after.

3DH4LIF3

I agree hat Garruk 2.0 is great (he made number 11, just outside of the top ten).  In fact, if he could use his minus ability without immdiately dying, or had a more-splashable casting cost, he easily would have at least squezed into the top 10.

Jace Beleren definitely has merit, I'll agree.  He's cheap to cast and his survivability is highest amoung Planeswalkers.  I'm just sketical about his ability to not only impact the game, but to only impact the game in a way beneficial for you.  
I'd say there's at least 4 planeswalkers that are better than Vraska.

Ajani, Caller of the Pride
Garruk, Primal Hunter
Garruk Relentless
Tamiyo, the Moon Sage

You could also easily make an argument for Chandra Ablaze.
Firstly I'm saying that I have gotten a JTMS ultimate to go off against someone before in EDH. It wasn't easy but it had gotten down to just two of us when I played him and I had several bigger threats down too. Also his first ability isn't just fateseal, it's scry as well when u pick urself. While I agree the brainstorm is highly useful, u can use his first to boost his survival and either plan ahead or completely get rid of a dead draw.

In Nicol's case I can actually get him out pretty reliably in my Ur-dragon deck. And it's not just the 20 non basic, multi color lands I use either. Fist of Suns has allowed me several times to drop him turn 5, which really throws people off their game plans. I've had that lead to a turn 7 ultimate from him more than once.

Venser, while I think is a damn good planeswalker, doesn't warrent the number 2 spot. While his ultimate is definitly one of the nastier ones out there, I feel his other two abilities are more dependent on u having something else down to use them on. I mean take Karn, Nicol, Jtms, or Sorin even. All of them don't need another card on ur side to interact with to cause problems, Venser does. While that adds to people not targetting him as much is a plus to a point, but not enough to warrent that spot on the list.

I also agree that Garruk Primal hunter is better than Wildspeaker. One extra green for casting it isn't a large issue considering green is the ramping color and has several ways to fix mana as well. He also protects himself as well as making him harder to kill. A variable card draw in green is pretty rare, and has the potential to be crazy high (have personally drawn 7+ with him different times) and his ultimate makes a pretty lethal army, even more so if u have something that gives mass haste.

The rest of the list and assesments were pretty spot on with my own personal thoughts. My feelings are more that Venser stays on the list but drops a bit, Nicol and Jtms maybe go up and replace Wildspeaker with the Primal hunter.
My EDH deck: http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/26329625/Another_Ur-Dragon_deck&sort_order=ASC
I'd say there's at least 4 planeswalkers that are better than Vraska.

Ajani, Caller of the Pride
Garruk, Primal Hunter
Garruk Relentless
Tamiyo, the Moon Sage

You could also easily make an argument for Chandra Ablaze.

Garruk, Primal Hunter made number 11, Tamiyo was 12, and Chandra Abaze was 16, I believe (on the merit of her incredible usefulnes to Mono-red and survivability).  I'llhave to disagree with you on Garruk Relentless (he's slower than [cad]Survival of the Fittest[/card] or Fauna Shaman fr his most comon usage, though he does protect himself rather well), but espcialy Ajani, caller of he pride.  I can only honestly see hmget run in  Duel Commander deck.  His Ultimate is great, sure, but he takes foreve to get there. His other abilities are far to small to see play in multiplayer, in my opinion.
Hm...do have to question the placing of Vraska.  Her defense(+) ability is nice, and a slightly watered Vindicate is also very relevant.  But I just don't see her as being worthy of #6.  I wish I could explain why, but...I can't.

Now, I imagine I'm going to be in the minority here, but I do agree with Garruk 1.0 being on the list over 2.0(perhaps 1.0 should have been #6 to allow 2.0 a spot?).  Wildspeaker adds more ramp to a color that has it honed to an art form.  Yeah, it makes him boring and predictable, but also reliable.  A planeswalker for two mana(effectively)?  Tell me that's not nice.  Primal Hunter may allow card draw(of which green doesn't have that much), but unless you've planned for PW recursion, you only get one shot out of it...unless you're willing to risk that extra turn to bring out a 3/3.

I'm curious about Ajani Goldmane or Ajani Vengeant, myself.  While Vengeant can be ignored for the same reason Caller can(takes him forever to get to ult, though he has a nice defense ability, and Lightning Helix...), Goldmane's a different story.  Sure, 2 life for his +1 isn't great, but getting (arguably) 4 +1/+1 counters on your creatures AND having them ready to defend Ajani is a nice bonus.  And if he DOES hit ultimate in EDH...well, you'd better take good care of yourself, yes?

A solid list, don't get me wrong...I just don't think Vraska had a place in top 10.  Really wish I could explain or figure out why...
If you drop primal hunter with anything 4 or greater power on board you just cast tidings. If you drop him make a token and draw three next turn you essentially harmonized for free and get to keep making tokens.

Triple green should rarely be hard for green decks.

3DH4LIF3

This is all just my opinion of course. Garruk Wildspeaker Should not be on a top 10 list. Your argument was mostly for mana? Why don't more people run Khalni Gem then? Same mana cost, doesn't die to combat damage, makes any color, and guarantees you have 2 more land drops. It doesn't untap a Cabal Coffers though. I haven't even seen him run in a deck in a very long time.

I'm not sure which one I would put at number 1 but those top 4 reign supreme in my eyes.

1) Tamiyo, the Moon Sage
2) Karn, Liberated
3) Jace, the Mind Sculptor
4) Nicol Bolas, Planeswalker
5) Vraska the unseen
6) Sorin Markov
7) Jace Beleren
8) Liliana Vess
9) Tezzeret the Seeker
10) Elspeth, Knight-Errant

#1-4 All protect themselves in some form of removal while doing something else that's also good.
#5 Protects her self but doesn't do anything else too stellar. At least she trades with whatever swings into her.
#6 Ruins a player.
#7 Good and cheap draw. Not too big of a threat either.
#8 Tutors.
#9 More narrow but tutors many useful cards still. Usually serves as better mana "ramp" than a Garruk
#10 Kill it or lose. Semi protects itself through token. Now that I think about it, Garruk, Primal Hunter or Liliana of the Dark Realms or Gideon Jura should get this spot. Pretty deck dependent.
Jace, Memory Adept in a mill deck.  Can just read "At the beginning of your upkeep, target player mills ten"
Jace, Memory Adept in a mill deck.  Can just read "At the beginning of your upkeep, target player mills ten"

One of his criteria was variety of uses/deck builds. JMA is great for mill, but other Jaces are more flexible.

Add me to the growing list that just doesn't get Vraska being that high.

Current EDH Decks: Radha Timmy, Oona exile/mill, Edric aggro, Marath tokens, Uril Voltron, Ertai counters, Sek'Kuar sac engines, Ezuri elf tribal, Oloro life gain, Zedruu tokens, White Mikaeus indestructible, Riku allies, Ghave synergy, Momir Vig Simic to a fault, Zur pillow fort/extort, Cromat artifacts, Rafiq aggro, Nekuzar zombies, Prossh creature beats, Roon ETB/bounce, Garza Zol vampires.

Ajani, Caller of the Pride fits into more than just a 1v1 commander deck...albeit that's probably where he's strongest. He fits into token and Voltron decks.
Yes - absolutely, decks where a specific Planewalker fits into the strategy perfectly (Jace, Memeroy Adept for Mill, Tezzeret, Agent of Bolas in Artifacts) would be stronger - I was going for a broader base.

I have heard a lot of people not understand my inclusion of Vraska, an I jut don't get the hate she seem to be getting.  Her minus ability is a weaker, but almost as useful as Karn's, she comes down earlier, she protects herself, and her Ultimate can win the game by herself - something that isn't common amoung Planeswalkers.
Yes - absolutely, decks where a specific Planewalker fits into the strategy perfectly (Jace, Memeroy Adept for Mill, Tezzeret, Agent of Bolas in Artifacts) would be stronger - I was going for a broader base.

I have heard a lot of people not understand my inclusion of Vraska, an I jut don't get the hate she seem to be getting.  Her minus ability is a weaker, but almost as useful as Karn's, she comes down earlier, she protects herself, and her Ultimate can win the game by herself - something that isn't common amoung Planeswalkers.

Vraska's ultimate isn't that great in EDH.  By the time it goes off, three 1/1s shouldn't be too tough to deal with.  She's not bad, there are just better walkers.  I think you get more mileage out of Garruk Relentless.  I also think Elspeth Tirel is often unfairly overshadowed by her first incarnation.

University of Charleston School of Pharmacy, Class of 2016

My Peasant Cube: A Cube for the Commoners

Sarkhan the Mad has won me several games, but it only works based on Dragon Decks. The Sac removal is pretty good at getting rid of generals like Uril, the Miststalker, but in general it's not a very removal, but it's versatile 'cause you can target yourself for some fun shenanigans. 

But then again, in most decks I'd take Sorin Markov over Sarkhan the Mad any day. 
Sarkhan the Mad targets a creature. It can't get rid of Uril, creatures with shroud, or creatures that aren't yours with hexproof on its own.

For me, it's like this:
+1 ability: While she is protecting herself, she's not doing anything for me or against my opponents. On those turns she's basically a wasted card slot. Plus her protection doesn't extend to direct damage, so a Staff of Nin or Chandra, the Firebrand effectively keep her from growing loyalty counters, while any kind of real damage spell will eat her alive.
-3 ability: Love it. Would love it more at -2. Speaking of which, a good -2 is on the aforementioned Chandra, the Firebrand.
-7 ability: I get it. It is a win con. But a really bad one. I'd rather have the ultimates on at least half the other planeswalkers. And specifically for -7, I'd rather have Domri Rade make my regular creatures into disgustingly powerful win cons.

Current EDH Decks: Radha Timmy, Oona exile/mill, Edric aggro, Marath tokens, Uril Voltron, Ertai counters, Sek'Kuar sac engines, Ezuri elf tribal, Oloro life gain, Zedruu tokens, White Mikaeus indestructible, Riku allies, Ghave synergy, Momir Vig Simic to a fault, Zur pillow fort/extort, Cromat artifacts, Rafiq aggro, Nekuzar zombies, Prossh creature beats, Roon ETB/bounce, Garza Zol vampires.

I'd like to put up another vote for Domri.  He's solid.  Not gamebreaking, but he is relevant.
Another vote for Domri Rade.  In my creature-heavy Animar, Soul of Elements deck he is great.
Sign In to post comments