Is this Barb viable?

38 posts / 0 new
Last post
Hey. 
I just made this Barbarian build right here and wanted to know, what you think of it. I oriented slightly at LDB's Barbarian Bruiser build. Note that the feats are in a random and not very optimized order, yet.
This build aims to be even more devestating than LDB's build (hopefully!) without sacrificing too much in defense. To achieve that, i picked Gnoll, Genasi and Dragonborn (the latter two of which i take by Reincarnate Champion), since those three races have the best damage boosting feats, imo. As default race i picked Gnoll, which is the worst of the 3 races, regarding starting abilities. But it has by far the best racial features for a striker, imo, which would get lost, if i pick another default race. 
Please give me your honest oppinion.

Alternatively i got an idea of making it a Dragonborn by default, so he can pick Mithral Arm instead of Kensei, since the lvl 20 daily is so damn strong if combined with the HoB/Brutal Charge/AP abuse (+ it saves the Boots slot since i can teleport 2 as move for charge spam).
I guess, Kensei is better the rest of the day, tho.  What do you think?

====== Created Using Wizards of the Coast D&D Character Builder ======
Apok, level 30
Gnoll, Barbarian, Kensei, Reincarnate Champion
Build: Rageblood Barbarian
Feral Might Option: Rageblood Vigor
Kensei Focus Option: Kensei Focus Gouge
Epic Vitality Option: Epic Vitality Strength
Past Spirit Option: Past Spirit (Genasi)
Past Spirit Option: Past Spirit (Dragonborn)
Dragon Breath Key Ability: Dragon Breath Strength
Dragon Breath Damage Type: Dragon Breath Cold
Firepulse Option: Firepulse Strength
Earthshock Option: Earthshock Strength
Darkfire Option: Darkfire Wisdom
Razor Storm Key Ability: Razor Storm Strength
Spellscarred
Scorned Noble (Scorned Noble Benefit)
Theme: Ironwrought

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
STR 28, CON 16, DEX 22, INT 10, WIS 14, CHA 12

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
STR 18, CON 12, DEX 12, INT 8, WIS 12, CHA 10

AC: 45 Fort: 45 Ref: 43 Will: 36
HP: 205 Surges: 11 Surge Value: 51

TRAINED SKILLS
Acrobatics +25, Athletics +32, Endurance +23, Perception +26

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Arcana +17, Bluff +18, Diplomacy +18, Dungeoneering +19, Heal +19, History +17, Insight +19, Intimidate +20, Nature +19, Religion +17, Stealth +20, Streetwise +18, Thievery +20

POWERS
Basic Attack: Melee Basic Attack
Basic Attack: Ranged Basic Attack
Ironwrought Attack: Inevitable Strike
Gnoll Racial Power: Ferocious Charge
Barbarian Feature: Swift Charge
Barbarian Feature: Rage Strike
Genasi Racial Power: Promise of Storm
Dragonborn Racial Power: Dragonfear
Barbarian Attack 1: Howling Strike
Barbarian Attack 1: Pressing Strike
Barbarian Utility 2: Shrug It Off
Barbarian Utility 6: Combat Surge
Barbarian Attack 7: Curtain of Steel
Endurance Utility 10: Reactive Surge
Kensei Attack 11: Masterstroke
Kensei Utility 12: Ultimate Parry
Barbarian Attack 13: Storm of Blades
Barbarian Utility 16: Spur the Cycle
Barbarian Attack 19: Desert Wind Rage
Kensei Attack 20: Weaponsoul Dance
Barbarian Utility 22: Unexpected Clarity
Barbarian Attack 25: Stone Tempest Rage
Reincarnate Champion Utility 26: Swift Reincarnation
Barbarian Attack 27: Hurricane of Blades
Barbarian Attack 29: World Serpent Rage

FEATS
Level 1: Spear Expertise
Level 2: Weapon Proficiency (Gouge)
Level 4: Deadly Rage
Level 6: Mark of Storm
Level 8: Wintertouched
Level 10: Improved Defenses
Level 11: Battle Awareness
Level 12: Surprising Charge
Level 14: Silvery Glow
Level 16: Lasting Frost
Level 18: Headsman's Chop
Level 20: Fierce Charge
Level 21: Shocking Flame
Level 22: Overpowering Charge
Level 24: Draconic Arrogance
Level 26: Brutal Charge
Level 28: Superior Initiative
Level 30: Spear Mastery

ITEMS
Camouflaged Clothing
Footpads
Adventurer's Kit
Potion of Healing
Restful Bedroll
Frost Brand Gouge +6 x1
Badge of the Berserker +6 x1
Marauder's Elderhide Armor +6 x1
Shadow Band x1
Horned Helm (epic tier) x1
Iron Armbands of Power (epic tier) x1
Solitaire (Violet)
Belt of Titan Strength x1
Siberys Shard of Merciless Cold (epic tier)
Gloves of Ice (epic tier) x1
Stone of Earth
Dice of Auspicious Fortune
Backlash Tattoo x1
Blood Fury Gouge +1
Frost Brand Javelin +6
Boots of Teleportation x1
Torc of Power Preservation +6
Ring of Giants x1
====== End ======

viable at what? Getting dominated?

I think a viable discussion should start with at what level you plan to play this. And since I do not have LDBs build memorised, as I assume many won't have, pointing out what you did differently and why might help us steer our critique and assistance.
First thing I would do is resman out that crappy e11.
First thing I would do is resman out that crappy e11.

Ye, i thought about that, too, but i'm really feat starved and i don't think it's worth it more than the other feats.

viable at what? Getting dominated?

I think a viable discussion should start with at what level you plan to play this. And since I do not have LDBs build memorised, as I assume many won't have, pointing out what you did differently and why might help us steer our critique and assistance.

Ye, i'm pretty sure i've got to tweak a bit at the defensive end.

This build is best, if played by epic, before, it lacks some of its tricks and is not that easy to play like LDB's build for example.

Okay, i will point out, what i tried to improve:
First of all i replaced the Fullblade with a Gouge for maximum charge funsies via Surprising Charge (Which will make Hurricance of Blades combined with Brutal Charge even more crazy).
Instead of Goliath (Avalanche Reaver) i pick Stormsoul Genasi as the third race, for some crazy novas and an additional damage type.
I chose a frost brand weapon instead of a frost weapon, to get the benefits of Shocking Flame. I kept the frost cheese. 
I added Mark of Storm to add some push, which, together with Overpowering Charge, should get Draconic Arrogance be triggered twice (not sure about that, tho).
Feat Bonus to damage comes from Silvery Glow instead of weapon focus. 
Mark of Storm could be useless, if Draconic Arrogance doesn't trigger twice per attack. (Does it?) 
Headman's Chop could be useless, if Overpowering Charge doesn't get triggered before the damage is rolled. (Does it?)
One defensive thing i really miss, is Second Skin (and Superior Will and Epic Defenses). But i lack feat slots anyway. If it should be a must have, then i could put Con a bit higher and put Dex down a bit. Could work, since i still would have access to Spear Mastery and all the other high Dex prerequisite feats i need to have.
I hope i could make a bit clearer, what i tried to achieve here.

Edit: Strikethrough above, because i don't think it has too much drawbacks to the said build besides starting as a race that doesnt have Str as bumped starting ability.
-No Surge of Fury.
-No Savage Growl.
-No Defenses.
-No Thundering Howl.
-No Soaring Blade, Malec-Keth Janissary or Winterfury.
-No Skill Power to turn misses into hits.
-No Alibi, no Justice, no Dreams, no Hope!

Read Stand and Bang, read the practical benchmarks thread, catch up on the usual tactics to get damage going, and see me after class. Grade: F!
Mountain Cleave Rule: You can have any sort of fun, including broken, silly fun, so long as I get to have that fun too (e. g., if you can warp reality with your spells, I can cleave mountains with my blade).
Besides you're acting like a 5yo, i get your point, at least some of them. 
And i'm glad you answered, cause that's what it's all about.

-No Surge of Fury.
-No Savage Growl.
-No Defenses.
-No Thundering Howl.
-No Soaring Blade, Malec-Keth Janissary or Winterfury.
-No Skill Power to turn misses into hits.

-Surge of Fury: 
I simply didn't know, there was such a power. I guess it was implemented, after LDB wrote his guide,      since i can't find it there. And you're right, it totally has to be in this build.

-Savage Growl:
Ye, it's a pretty big damage boost in a HoB nova round, so i put it in, as well.

-Defenses:
Ye, i stated it above, that i'm not happy with the defenses right now, and i asked the community, if u got any useable tips for me what to replace by what.

-Thundering Howl:
It can be better, at least most of the time, but it doesn't have to. I put it in as well, tho, cause real AoE is pretty rare in this build.

-Soaring Blade, Malec-Keth Janissary or Winterfury:
SB and MKJ are pretty whack, imo. I thought about Winterfury, as well, but decided to go for Kensei for the +1 Hit and +Dmg. Maybe i'm missing some awesome weapon enchants for this kind of build. If you got any tips for a weapon enchant for me, i would really consider switching the weapon enchant and the PP.

-Skill Power to turn misses into hits:
I got 2 rerolls. One per encounter from Ironwrought and 1 daily utility. Don't even know, if there are much more possibilities besides being Elf.
There's an Insight based skill power that gives a retroactive +3 or so.  "Insightful Riposte"

"Nice assumptions. Completely wrong assumptions, but by jove if being incorrect stopped people from making idiotic statements, we wouldn't have modern internet subculture." Kerrus
Practical gameplay runs by neither RAW or RAI, but rather "A Compromise Between The Gist Of The Rule As I Recall Getting The Impression Of It That One Time I Read It And What Jerry Says He Remembers, Whatever, We'll Look It Up Later If Any Of Us Still Give A Damn." Erachima

It's called 'pick Frost, Take Bloodfury + Battlecrazed, win', or 'pick Lightning, take Frost + Stormtalon, win'.

Also, acting like a 5 year old? Please, pal. I did a rebuild of the Bruiser with LDB. We pushed it to a nova turn of 1k damage. At this point I am kinda distinctly unamused by people who aren't doing the homework when it comes to barbarians, really. That's all. You're not going to find someone who gives more pertinent advice than me, more thoroughly than me, ever. Considering I answer questions in one to three new threads each day, the least you could do is accept that maybe, just maybe, I've seen this so many times that I am a bit annoyed people don't do a gorram forum search and make me repost my **** again. You thought about that before? No, you haven't. So respect people who are giving you feedback on how to tweak your build in a half-dozen ways, resources to check to give yourself an idea of what you need to be doing, and only ask for a chance to joke a bit in return. The alternative is that you'll stumble around blindly and not get your job done at all. Take the light ribbing in stride and use this as a chance to make a better build.
Mountain Cleave Rule: You can have any sort of fun, including broken, silly fun, so long as I get to have that fun too (e. g., if you can warp reality with your spells, I can cleave mountains with my blade).
Get over yourself Arm.
10/10 Would Flame Again: An Elite Paladin|Warlock The Elemental Man (or Woman): A Genasi Handbook The Warlord, Or How to Wield a Barbarian One-Handed The Bookish Barbarian Fardiz: RAI is fairly clear, but RAZ is different That's right. Rules According to Zelink!
Get over yourself Arm.

Nah, I'll pass. Nobody gets to say 'stop acting like a five year old' when working on outdated materials and not bothering to do a ten minute search. Seriously, this is basic stuff. If you want to update a build, know what the **** is current first. Don't get snippy when people act sarcastic because you couldn't bother to learn your stuff.
Maybe you stop "helping" so much in all these other threads and do the Barbarian Handbook you keep speaking of. Then people will actually have an updated reference guide worth looking at.
It's called 'pick Frost, Take Bloodfury + Battlecrazed, win', or 'pick Lightning, take Frost + Stormtalon, win'.

Also, acting like a 5 year old? Please, pal. I did a rebuild of the Bruiser with LDB. We pushed it to a nova turn of 1k damage. At this point I am kinda distinctly unamused by people who aren't doing the homework when it comes to barbarians, really. That's all. You're not going to find someone who gives more pertinent advice than me, more thoroughly than me, ever. Considering I answer questions in one to three new threads each day, the least you could do is accept that maybe, just maybe, I've seen this so many times that I am a bit annoyed people don't do a gorram forum search and make me repost my **** again. You thought about that before? No, you haven't. So respect people who are giving you feedback on how to tweak your build in a half-dozen ways, resources to check to give yourself an idea of what you need to be doing, and only ask for a chance to joke a bit in return. The alternative is that you'll stumble around blindly and not get your job done at all. Take the light ribbing in stride and use this as a chance to make a better build.

Well, how about giving advice then, if you're the one that can? All you did by the way you answered is putting some serious troll factor in a thread that was meant sincerely by it's author - me. 
After getting slight and legit critisism you should really consider staying calm, getting over it and either come back to the topic or stay away. 
I would clearly appreciate it, if someone as experienced, as you say, you are, would pick the first option and would come back, but it's your choice, buddy.

Peace. 
Get over yourself Arm.

Nah, I'll pass. Nobody gets to say 'stop acting like a five year old' when working on outdated materials and not bothering to do a ten minute search. Seriously, this is basic stuff. If you want to update a build, know what the **** is current first. Don't get snippy when people act sarcastic because you couldn't bother to learn your stuff.

Arm, you do realize that your Stand and Bang thread is neither on the opening page nor is it in the Complete Collection of Build Links? He clearly looked around for the handbooks about Barbarians and made some decisions based on what he found.

That he didn't find it might mean he lacks search fu. It might also mean that he could have regarded as any other thread about Barbarians. Maybe useful, maybe not. And would you click on one of say a 1000 threads about Barbarians, knowing nothing about the contents of each thread?
Maybe you stop "helping" so much in all these other threads and do the Barbarian Handbook you keep speaking of. Then people will actually have an updated reference guide worth looking at.

He would just prefer to be an ass to random people and talk all high and mighty than actually put in the work. Though I like this new aggressive stance from you EZ
10/10 Would Flame Again: An Elite Paladin|Warlock The Elemental Man (or Woman): A Genasi Handbook The Warlord, Or How to Wield a Barbarian One-Handed The Bookish Barbarian Fardiz: RAI is fairly clear, but RAZ is different That's right. Rules According to Zelink!

Yeah, if only that didn't take a ton of time and I was already behind on working on another handbook. Sure, I'd love to have twice as much time in a day as everybody else, but I don't yet. Once I do I'll get the barb's handbook up and running.

---

@Pink: Look at your build, dude. Are you saying that I didn't show you things that were helpful here? Was Surge of Fury so bad that you didn't add it to your build? Or Savage Growl was so crappy it didn't make the cut? How about pointing out the three most powerful damage dealing PPs for you so you could amp your damage? Or suggesting threads you could check, one of which was on the front page at that (practical optimization benchmarks thread)?

Face it, man. I DID help out. Not only that, but I pointed out elements to you in super concise fashion, in a bullet point list. You act as if I just said 'your build sucks, you suck, and I hate you. Peace out homes!' and left the thread without further comment, when in fact I indicated several good things you could do to power up your build further. What the hell else do you want me to do? Hand you a premade build with all the 'win choices' and then give you a 10,000 word primer on how to play it? Jesus Christ, there's only so much a guy can do to help out. Don't get flustered when I crack a light joke, considering I was in the same position as you but went and did all the homework here so you can just make light edits to your build and make it better.

---

@MWaO: Yes, actually. This is how I learned the tricks for making a good multiattack barbarian. You want to do something good, you put in effort for it. I literally never clicked collection of character build links, because everything listed there was outdated. It's not my job to update the character build links, honestly. I already have enough on my plate working on the item handbook, answering newbie questions, and on top of that thinking about ways to keep my homebrews competitive with real options but without being overwhelming overall (oh yeah, and working on that scattered note collection that is the Hybrid Warlord's Handbook, there's that too). If the community finds the build at all useful, they can add it. Otherwise, we can just leave it to be searched for. Makes no difference to me either way.
If you never look there, stop being a dick about people to read up. People come here for help and their rawness is inevitable. No need to be an **** about it.
Armisael... there's a difference between being authorative, and being arrogant. And frankly, you do come across as almost purely the latter. There is good advice in your posts, but the tone is really offputting.

You might not look in the collective, but a lot of people do. So if you think it's outdated, do something about it. Suggest your barbarian threads for inclusion, or produce something new, if you think people are being misinformed.
A Beginners Primer to CharOp. Archmage's Ascension - The Wizard's Handbook. Let the Hammer Fall: Dwarf Warpriest/Tactical Warpriest/Indomitable Champion, a Defending Leader. Requiem for Dissent: Cleric/Fighter/Paragon of Victory Melee Leader Ko te manu e kai i te miro, nona te ngahere. Ko te manu e kai i te matauranga e, nano te ao katoa. It's the proliferation of people who think the rules are more important than what the rules are meant to accomplish. - Dedekine
@Armisael: If u read it up, you see, that i already told you, that im grateful for your answer. And i'll always be. As long as i live. Promise.
BUT could you please just stop bitching in this thread, right now? If you got a bad day, that's not my problem at all, nor is your hurt ego.
I didn't mean to offend you for the infos you gave me, since they're super helpful and logical and i already try to put them in the build. The little side blow was for the way you answered, that's all. If u can't handle the reaction, all you can do is acting differently.

Back to topic:
I'll put a new version of the build in here tommorrow. Thanks for the help so far to everybody. 
Armisael... there's a difference between being authorative, and being arrogant. And frankly, you do come across as almost purely the latter. There is good advice in your posts, but the tone is really offputting.

You might not look in the collective, but a lot of people do. So if you think it's outdated, do something about it. Suggest your barbarian threads for inclusion, or produce something new, if you think people are being misinformed.

As I recall though, this was already suggested for inclusion 'round the time of the Elysian Fields thread. Why it's not there, I do not know.
Except its not all that fleshed out or really all that helpful to someone who doesn't know what they're doing. Other than that, great job.
Except its not all that fleshed out or really all that helpful to someone who doesn't know what they're doing. Other than that, great job.

'Cause it doesn't have multiple pages where it's discussed. Nope, not at all. Just a singular lone post with a build and nothing else.
As I recall though, this was already suggested for inclusion 'round the time of the Elysian Fields thread. Why it's not there, I do not know.

As one of the most regular maintainers of that thread, I do not recall seeing it. It may well be there and got missed, which is fine, but then you could also keep an eye on it and remind people.
A Beginners Primer to CharOp. Archmage's Ascension - The Wizard's Handbook. Let the Hammer Fall: Dwarf Warpriest/Tactical Warpriest/Indomitable Champion, a Defending Leader. Requiem for Dissent: Cleric/Fighter/Paragon of Victory Melee Leader Ko te manu e kai i te miro, nona te ngahere. Ko te manu e kai i te matauranga e, nano te ao katoa. It's the proliferation of people who think the rules are more important than what the rules are meant to accomplish. - Dedekine
Interesting. You say nobody mentioned it? Weird. I recall a long discussion about it way back. Could you add it then, Ruins (and ideally, tag the barbarian handbook with a big red [OUTDATED: See up to date Build Threads for explanations])? If we could save ourselves from seeing the Nth Barbarian thread where people are missing the really obvious standbys or the fact that hybridization is pretty much a gimme, that'd be awesome.
It really is all about you. That much is obvious.

Sure, sure, whatever you say Zelink. What have you contributed lately, hmm?

Sure, sure, whatever you say Zelink. What have you contributed lately, hmm?

A new Druid Guide if i'm not mistaken. Needs some work but it's still up.

But in all honesty, you could just put some links in your sig. Any time a Barb thread pops up just drop by and give a quick. "Check out my sig for help". 
That's a fair thing to say. I'll go and do that in a minute. Just to make sure, the ones I'm thinking about linking are my Stand and Bang and Zelink's Swordbarian. Any others that would be good to add to the list?
That's a fair thing to say. I'll go and do that in a minute. Just to make sure, the ones I'm thinking about linking are my Stand and Bang and Zelink's Swordbarian. Any others that would be good to add to the list?

Might as well list your Item guide as a quick reference. Outside that i have no idea what else you got going on.

Edit- While we're here and off topic anyway
I'm not gonna call you an **** or dick for you're comments, tone yes, but in actuality thats just beating a dead horse. What i find more distasteful is the general attitude that some regulars have that if you are not doing/playing a specific set of things you are flat out doing it wrong. Is there a better way folks should be going about building characters, sure, but telling someone the character they would like to play or how they would like to play this game is wrong is the highest form of being a DICK.
I agree that we all need to take what is said here with a grain of salt and come to these forums with thicker skins but i feel that more folks should try to be just a little more civil and do more guiding and teaching and less namecalling and dick waggling.

TL;DR- A rant 
^ Props to ezrider.

And the arguement what have you contributed lately is dumb. There isn't much here, so to base anything on contributions is dumb. 

Though  ezrider is right, I made a new handbook!
And I agree with that. But when you're trying to better a 'CharOp Big Time' build, you're not 'playing the game your way', you're engaging in mathematics and optimization to the Nth degree. At that point, all that matters is how much you know and how much blood you can squeeze out of the build's stone. You can see the difference in tone between this topic and the Executioner low-op one, and why it's different. It's OK to not know things if you're just making a build for yourself, to make mistakes and all. But if you're making a build with the goal of doing one better than our standard of excellence...you can't be behind the times, man. That's just silly.
What the hell are you talking about?
Hey. 
I just made this Barbarian build right here and wanted to know, what you think of it. I oriented slightly at LDB's Barbarian Bruiser build. Note that the feats are in a random and not very optimized order, yet.
This build aims to be even more devestating than LDB's build (hopefully!) without sacrificing too much in defense. 

I'm pretty sure he is referring to this. (sorry for all the craziness of multi-posts. Still working on my posting-fu)
Its ok, we still love you
Its ok, we still love you

couldn't even get that right 
ITT: Someone taking a game where you pretend to be a barbarian and kill magical creatures way too seriously.
ITT: Someone taking a game where you pretend to be a barbarian and kill magical creatures way too seriously.

DnD is srs bzns.

The stand and bang thread has been linked in the Elysian Fields thread almost since the beginning, as it's one of the only current barbarian resources.
The stand and bang thread has been linked in the Elysian Fields thread almost since the beginning, as it's one of the only current barbarian resources.

This is also a place where most won't find it but i do agree, even if incomplete or completely disregarding of all types of Barb, it is the most up-to-date resource available.