Elvish Piper Ability

10 posts / 0 new
Last post

Good afternoon,

A friend of mine asked me a question regarding Elvish Piper and Quicksilver Amulet Activated Abilities.

If one player use one of those abilities to cast a Multikicker creature like Gnarlid Pack, the player has the option to pay the multikicker like if he or she casted the creature paying the mana cost, right?

This will also apply if the player use that ability to play Skaab Ruinator, the person will have to play the additional cost " exile three creature cards from your graveyard" as if he or she cast the creature spell normally.

This is just to be clear with him next time we play Commander with my play group.

Thanks.

If one player use one of those abilities to cast a Multikicker creature like Gnarlid Pack, the player has the option to pay the multikicker like if he or she casted the creature paying the mana cost, right?

This will also apply if the player use that ability to play Skaab Ruinator, the person will have to play the additional cost " exile three creature cards from your graveyard" as if he or she cast the creature spell normally.

No to both questions; additional costs are paid only when one CASTS the card, not when it's merely displaced from Hand to Battlefield by some random ability.

Wizards of the Coast: NOT ANYMORE outsourced to Elbonia

No. The card isn't being cast as spell, so neither optional nor mandatory "additional costs" are paid. The card is just moved directly from the hand to the battlefield.
with the Piper or the Amulet you don't cast the creature
you don't get the option to pay (Multi)Kicker costs or any other additional costs

that also means you don't have to exile 3 cards for Skaab Ruinator

furthermore, stuff that triggers on casting such as Emrakul, the Aeons Torn's extra turn won't trigger
proud member of the 2011 community team
1. Kicker is only an option if you're casting the spell. If you're putting the creature onto the battlefield with something like the Piper, then you do not get the chance to pay the kicker. So you can put the Pack on the battlefield with the Piper, but you can't pay the kicker for it, since you're not casting it.

2. The Ruinator has an addition cost to casting it, which only applies if you're casting it. So you can put it on the battlefield with the Piper and you won't have to exile anything.

Wizards.Com Boards Net Rep

DCI Level 2 Judge

Questions don't have to make sense, but answers do.

Nowhere on Elvish Piper or Quicksilver Amulet does it mention "casting" the creatures that you are putting onto the battlefield.  You are not casting them; you are just moving them from one location (your hand) to another location (the battlefield).  They can’t be countered because they were not cast and you disregard anything on them that mentions casting.

@mikemearls The office is basically empty this week, which opens up all sorts of possibilities for low shenanigans

@mikemearls In essence, all those arguments I lost are being unlost. Won, if you will. We're doing it MY way, baby.

@biotech66 aren't you the boss anyway? isn't "DO IT OR I FIRE YOU!" still an option?

@mikemearls I think Perkins would throat punch me if I ever tried that. And I'd give him a glowing quarterly review for it.

Wow!! this is an eye opener for me. ¿So there is no way to cast huge creatures like Emrakul, the Aeons Torn , Ulamog, the Infinite Gyre or  Kozilek, Butcher of Truth with the Piper of the Amulet's abilities so that their triggered abilities activate as soon as they get to the battlefield?

So if I play Genesis Wave or another similar spell to cast those creatures from my library, their triggered abilities (the ones related with "When you cast...") will not work also because they are forced to be moved to the battlefield due to the spell's condition, right?

The only option will be to reduce their converted mana cost, right? ¿Which type of cards offered this type of feature?

Thanks for all your help.
Omniscience would allow you to cast them for free

but that's more a question for "Cards and Combos" below, they can help you better with ways to cheat the Eldrazi onto the stack
proud member of the 2011 community team
Omniscience

EDIT: Argh! Ninja-slipped by Enigma! 

Wizards of the Coast: NOT ANYMORE outsourced to Elbonia

So there is no way to cast huge creatures like Emrakul, the Aeons Torn , Ulamog, the Infinite Gyre or  Kozilek, Butcher of Truth with the Piper or the Amulet's abilities so that their triggered abilities activate as soon as they get to the battlefield?

note: these abilities trigger and resolve before the creature spell even resolves which is before they arrive on the field.
So there is no way to cast huge creatures with the Piper or the Amulet's abilities?

correct, because those abilities don't cast anything

DCI Certified Judge & Goth/Industrial/EBM/Indie/Alternative/80's-Wave DJ
DJ Vortex

DCI Certified Judge since July 13, 2013  - If you have any concerns with my conduct as a judge, feel free to submit feedback here.
DCI #5209514320

My Wife's Makeup Artist Page <-- cool stuff - check it out

Sign In to post comments