Why do people wait with Terramorphic Expanse?

45 posts / 0 new
Last post
Here's what happens in majority of my games.

1. My opponent goes first, and plays Terramorphic Expanse, then his turns ends.
2. My turn starts, and as I'm about to click Land, the guy activates his response and starts fetching land.

Note that I didn't even drop my land, so he gains absolutely nothing by doing it on my turn.

Really dude?  You couldn't have done it during your turn?  You have to pause the game when it's my time?  Do people do that just to annoy the other guy, or are they just retarded?
Some people do it because of the 2012 bug that skipped your opponents main phase if you did stuff like pumping a creature or popping off an ability, and they are still used to being cheaters.

I, personally, wait until the last minute to activate it.  No sense giving up any information you don't have to.  
That annoys me too. Probably make them feel like they are in control, hell knows
It's a good habit to get into, although he should have done it at the end of your turn. You always want to give your opponent as little information as possible. It's also good for shuffling your deck if you know what is on top of your deck and you'd prefer a chance of something else. 
Sometimes Expanse won't trigger on your turn no matter how much you mash it.
Other than that Archive Trap is really the only reason to wait.
If I'm playing with GM I trigger it asap.
Please mill some Demigods.

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt. - Mark Twain

Mastergear_Owen's take on Magic 2014 Campaign.

Show
You know what I've got more issues. Whats up with the story in this game? The adverts said I was going to team up with Chandra and we were going to kick butt and chew bubblegum across the planes on a revenge campaign against some... guy she knew I guess? Who's Ramaz anyway? What do I get instead? I beat Chandra like 2 minutes in with a mono-green stompy thing Garruk gave me (why does he keep giving all these new planeswalkers his deck) and then I spent like 5 hours jumping from plane to plane picking up random nicknacks for her mantlepiece while she sits back back doing her nails or something. I was thrown in jail! I got hit by a Roil Storm twice! Do you know how many rats are on Ravnica, Chandra? All of them! All of the rats! All of the rats eating me!

Then we go kick her Ex's bearded-screaming-butt and what does she do to help? Nothing! She throws of the occasional fire ball and spends her time trying not to freeze to death. You should have worn pants Chandra. While we're on the subject what happened to your shoes? You had like Steelies on. Steelies are cool. Now your running around with stupid boots with like 5-inch heels? Thats not appropriate footware for Planeswalking! That's not appropriate footware for normal walking! At least Liliana is doing it for the whole 'evil is sexy' thing and can summon undead to carry her when she breaks her ankle. What are you going to do ride a Phoenix? Its made of fire! You'll fall right through! Man I should have gone Planeswalking with Liliana - yeah she'd crack my head open with a rock 5 minutes in and raise my corpse to serve her but at least we could have gone dancing!

Now with more original content and open bar!

https://www.youtube.com/user/thedevilwuster

Why is Archive Trap a reason to wait?  From my reading of the card, it doesn't matter whose turn it is.  Does it not work if you trigger an expanse during your opponent's turn?

If I have enough lands in my starting hand, then I save my Terramorphic Expanse for stuff like Rampaging Baloths or Ob Nixilis, the Fallen
Just saying if they have blue and you think it's DP you wait and possibly not trigger it at all considering AT.
Other than that, less information about what deck you're playing is the only other reason to wait.

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt. - Mark Twain

Show
You know what I've got more issues. Whats up with the story in this game? The adverts said I was going to team up with Chandra and we were going to kick butt and chew bubblegum across the planes on a revenge campaign against some... guy she knew I guess? Who's Ramaz anyway? What do I get instead? I beat Chandra like 2 minutes in with a mono-green stompy thing Garruk gave me (why does he keep giving all these new planeswalkers his deck) and then I spent like 5 hours jumping from plane to plane picking up random nicknacks for her mantlepiece while she sits back back doing her nails or something. I was thrown in jail! I got hit by a Roil Storm twice! Do you know how many rats are on Ravnica, Chandra? All of them! All of the rats! All of the rats eating me!

Then we go kick her Ex's bearded-screaming-butt and what does she do to help? Nothing! She throws of the occasional fire ball and spends her time trying not to freeze to death. You should have worn pants Chandra. While we're on the subject what happened to your shoes? You had like Steelies on. Steelies are cool. Now your running around with stupid boots with like 5-inch heels? Thats not appropriate footware for Planeswalking! That's not appropriate footware for normal walking! At least Liliana is doing it for the whole 'evil is sexy' thing and can summon undead to carry her when she breaks her ankle. What are you going to do ride a Phoenix? Its made of fire! You'll fall right through! Man I should have gone Planeswalking with Liliana - yeah she'd crack my head open with a rock 5 minutes in and raise my corpse to serve her but at least we could have gone dancing!

this is something I have done in the past using MM.  Let's say I have a random land, forest, and terramorphic with a rampant growth.  I will wait until the second turn to see if I get a different color so i don't ramp into that same color.  Since you are typically waiting until 5 mana anyways it doesn't really effect the flow of the game.  Maybe I'm wrong?
Oh, ok.  I didn't understand what you meant before.

I think I'd still trigger a first-turn expanse immediately even if I knew it was DP though.  Two reasons:

1. Archive Trap is one card out of 61 - the odds favor you.  And the only reason AT could threaten you on turn 1 (as opposed to turn 5+) is the Phantasm - so it requires them to have both cards, which are even slightly worse odds for the DP player.
2. the cost of not triggering the expanse sets you back a turn, when you need to end DP as quickly as possible

So there's risk either way, but I think the choice to basically forego playing a land and not triggering an expanse for fear of the Archive Trap isn't a good decision.  

It might give away information that you don't need to, for example playing a certain color land might make a CW player pick a different card with their Sleight of Hand
Dh,, I agree with you. That's why I've been trapped so many times.

Show

For me, 9 times out of 10 when I try to activate it on my own turn (ie just after playing it), it simply doesn't work. Doesn't matter how hard I try.  However, it's only in multiplayer games where I have this problem (PS3): against AI it can be activated immediately after being played.
Magic is like poker. You don't play your hand, you play your opponent.

It's all about them mind games.
Some people do it because of the 2012 bug that skipped your opponents main phase if you did stuff like pumping a creature or popping off an ability, and they are still used to being cheaters.

Seems like the most likely explanation, since they do it before I even drop my land (as I stated in my original post, I understand the difference between them doing it to hide information).

You want information like what basic lands you have secret for as long as possible.
That's why you always fetch your land at the opponents end step.

Damn the system and its hypocrites! You quit your quest and venture into the slums of the Gruul Clans!
Damn the system and its hypocrites! You quit your quest and venture into the slums of the Gruul Clans!
Take THE QUEST FOR RAVNICA today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.

I don't know why you would keep that secret since it gives you next to zero advantage.  For it to give you one, you'd have to demonstrate the possibility for a player to make a different turn 2 play if they know what lands you have than they would have if they didn't know.  MM is the only deck I can think of where that's even a possibility because technically you can keep your deck choice secret until turn 3 or 4, get an aggro deck to overextend, and then wipe the board.  Unless you're playing MM, how does this effect anything at all?
I agree with giving the opponent as little info as possible. You guys know you can figure out (most of the time) what deck your opponent is using by what music is playing, yes?
I don't know why you would keep that secret since it gives you next to zero advantage.  For it to give you one, you'd have to demonstrate the possibility for a player to make a different turn 2 play if they know what lands you have than they would have if they didn't know.  MM is the only deck I can think of where that's even a possibility because technically you can keep your deck choice secret until turn 3 or 4, get an aggro deck to overextend, and then wipe the board.  Unless you're playing MM, how does this effect anything at all?

It makes a huge difference in play style to an experienced player to know what type of deck he/she's up against.  

If you're playing as the white weenie deck, and I see forrests come down on the other side....I know that my creatures will very shortly be outclassed, and I know that the odds of having my board wiped are minimal.  Therefore, I'm going to dump my hand and overrun as fast as possible. On the flip side, if I see mountains come down, then you have to respect the fact that the deck may have a cheap board wipe that can net your opponent 2-for-1 or better advantage if you dump your hand.

Yes, there are some decks where "hiding" what you're playing isn't going to be all that helpful.  But in a game where everyone knows everyone else's deck, more than in standard play, its a smart play to keep ANY information away from your opponent.  

The more tournament play you see, the more you will see the value in this.   

It makes a huge difference in play style to an experienced player to know what type of deck he/she's up against.  

If you're playing as the white weenie deck, and I see forrests come down on the other side....I know that my creatures will very shortly be outclassed, and I know that the odds of having my board wiped are minimal.  Therefore, I'm going to dump my hand and overrun as fast as possible. On the flip side, if I see mountains come down, then you have to respect the fact that the deck may have a cheap board wipe that can net your opponent 2-for-1 or better advantage if you dump your hand.

Yes, there are some decks where "hiding" what you're playing isn't going to be all that helpful.  But in a game where everyone knows everyone else's deck, more than in standard play, its a smart play to keep ANY information away from your opponent.  

Dude it's only turn 2, what deck the other person is playing or not won't matter at all cuz A) you won't have shi to do turn 2, or/and B) you will not get that serra ascendant to 6/6 if going against a red burn.

when to pop a TURN 1 fetch HAS NO value what so ever, no strategy, no nothing. you pop it and get the land you need and that is done, 80% of the time your opponent still won't know what deck you have cuz even if you put 2 colors out by turn 2, there is still the chance that you have MM.  

Under no circumstances does it make a huge difference.  It makes a very small difference with a very small number of decks, and in the overwhelming majority of cases, makes no difference at all.

It makes zero difference in your example, for 3 reasons:
1. there's no fetchland that gives a choice between a scary green deck or a burn deck.  SS uses Evolving Wilds; MS uses Terramorphic Expanse.  SaS creatures aren't scary.
2.  Your turn 1 drops are either bad or instants - even Sprout can be played after the land is popped.  If you have a turn 2 creature, you should be playing it regardless of whether you're playing against scary green creatures or burn.  
3. the decision on whether to empty your hand is really a turn 3 decision, not a turn 1 or 2 one.  

I gave the limited MM example - it could make an (almost trivial) difference there.  The only other example I can think of is that it might make a difference against PK - the turn 2 decision to play either an Accorder Paladin or Honor of the Pure is probably better informed by whether you're playing against a burn deck or a non-burn deck.  Outside of that, I can't think of other examples that complicate turn 2 choices based on limited information about the deck you're playing.

I'm not saying people should pop the land on their turn, it doesn't bother me when they do it, and I did give 2 extremely limited examples where it could be in your benefit.  But I think you're fooling yourself if you think your fetchland trickery is causing a huge difference in playstyle. 

EDIT: I'm not sure what you meant by "white weenie" deck, and given that you used the word "overrun" - I assumed you meant CM.  If you actually meant PK, then #2 from above doesn't apply.  However, if you're playing PK, and you have a 1 drop like an Elite Vanguard - no one in their right mind would wait to know what the opponent's deck is prior to playing that card.  So I don't think your example makes much sense either way.
Just making a point in case that stratigically in paper magic you wait til the end of your opponents turn to pop it that way your opponent doesn't even guess what colors you are playing. This seems trivial but it could change the way an opponent choses to play that first card in hand if he has a couple of option, such as Jace playing the phantasm compare to thought scour.

It seems to be even more of an impact in DotP because of that fact. Anyways, paper magic really doesn't use these lands very often (especially since landfall not in standard)

Casual players might use it...

Anyways. My 2 cents.
One difference I have noticed mainly comes from 2hg and against jace.  If you wait as long as possible sometimes you can get him to start milling who you want him too.  For instance If I got a demigod I want to try and trick him into milling me.

Another reason is if I just have 1 land and 1 terramorphic and only 3cost cards in my hand I might not want to pop it thinking that there is a slightly better chance to draw that 3rd land next turn if I don't pull a land out of my library...

In general though against archive trap I think your better off popping it as soon as possible cause the longer you wait the more chances he has to draw it. 
It doesn't matter if it makes a difference in the match, it just builds good habits to always do things only when you need to.

It's the same reason you should generally wait until your opponent declares attackers to use a Murder, for example.
It's not a good habit if it almost never benefits you - then it's just a habit.  And with lag issues sometimes effecting your ability to pause, arguably it's a bad habit.

Murder is categorically different - that's a habit that frequently does bring benefits. 
If you get attacked by a T1 Goblin Guide, you can get a re-shuffle if you don't like your topdeck. That's reason enough to get into the habit, IMO.
That's a pretty good point and I do that when I play against goblins.
Most of the good fetch lands put the land into play untapped, and it's a good practice to get into the habit of there because it can be the difference between making a reactionary play using one colored spell or another colored spell. Since terramorphic expanse puts the land into play tapped there's no reason to hold off on cracking it except in the very early game when your opponent might not know what you are playing yet and knowing that might change how they begin the game. Most of the time it really isn't useful even then, though, because nearly every deck has terramorphic expanse. The only thing they have to go by is one color, just as if you played a basic, so it's like... Oh, he fetched a mountain, Well, that narrows it down to about 12 decks...
If fetching at the EoT don't give you any benefit 99% of the time... It's better to do it everytime so you can actually benefit from that 1%. If you don't have a incentive to fetch ASAP, even a little incentive to do it at EoT is still an incentive.

Just my 2 cents, though. Fetch your lands whenever you like.

WotC doesn't care about flavor. Their forum is the only place where an ORC can kill a troll...

Lost around 120 posts in the forum migration

Post #1000 on Feb 02, 2013

Post #2000 on Sep 04, 2013

I always used to wait until the end of my opponent's turn to pop an Expanse or Wilds, but after being screwed by lag a couple of times and not being able to drop what I wanted on turn two, I just do it on my turn now.

"People are like sausages: it's what's under the skin that's important... so poke them with a fork periodically."

"Lif is too short."

Seems like the most likely explanation, since they do it before I even drop my land (as I stated in my original post, I understand the difference between them doing it to hide information).

Eh? Really? You stated that? Where? I was practically rolling my eyes over why ask such a question with a simple answer.

2. My turn starts, and as I'm about to click Land, the guy activates his response and starts fetching land.

Note that I didn't even drop my land, so he gains absolutely nothing by doing it on my turn.

Really dude?  You couldn't have done it during your turn?  You have to pause the game when it's my time?  Do people do that just to annoy the other guy, or are they just retarded?

I do this but that's because I never stop the timer to fetch the land and sometimes the sac ability doesn't work on my turn (unless I stop the timer which breaks the flow of the game a little). This is all due to lag though

Eh? Really? You stated that? Where? I was practically rolling my eyes over why ask such a question with a simple answer.

He did actually say that.  Try rereading this part: "I didn't even drop my land, so he gains absolutely nothing by doing it on my turn"
I do it to reveal as little info as possible. Granted, the benefit is marginal, as many opponents probably will play the same opening regardless of what deck they face.

Archive Trap is certainly no reason to wait, on the contrary. Waiting until your opponents turn only gives him another draw and thus chance of having it in his hand.

The Goblin Guide point made by Hakeem928 is valid, but you will probably end up shuffling anyways, as the cost of not doing it is to not have that mana ready.
I do it to reveal as little info as possible. Granted, the benefit is marginal, as many opponents probably will play the same opening regardless of what deck they face.

Archive Trap is certainly no reason to wait, on the contrary. Waiting until your opponents turn only gives him another draw and thus chance of having it in his hand.

The Goblin Guide point made by Hakeem928 is valid, but you will probably end up shuffling anyways, as the cost of not doing it is to not have that mana ready.

There are of course some spells that allow the opponent to have multiple combat phases, one of which appears in the same deck as the goblin deck, and one of the others appears in a deck with the ability to gain control of the goblin guide, the final one appearing in another deck that may decide to 2HG with goblins; so it might be handy to shuffle between them. You can also use the terramorphic in the second main phase of your opponent to maximise the land draw chance (even fractionally).

Robvalue: Copy target bug or glitch. You may choose a new card for the copy...

Will never buy games made by Arena Net again.

Will not buy Duel 2015 until 2HG reinstated.

Grei wrote:

Orc_Welfin wrote:
 I've removed content from this thread. 

Nice to know removing content is a company wide policy.
Sometimes Expanse won't trigger on your turn no matter how much you mash it. Other than that Archive Trap is really the only reason to wait. If I'm playing with GM I trigger it asap. Please mill some Demigods.

Archive Trap is the reason to NOT wait because they could draw it on their turn.

Anyway, I've been screwed more times by lag than by someone knowing what land I get so I pop it on my turn unless I know they run Vindicate or something. 
Hi! I run a YouTube channel at YouTube.com/user/NemosChannel. I upload Duels of the Planeswalkers gameplay, deckbuilds, and even Tier List videos. It's the best place for strategy and silly humor. Drop by and see!
Sometimes Expanse won't trigger on your turn no matter how much you mash it. Other than that Archive Trap is really the only reason to wait. If I'm playing with GM I trigger it asap. Please mill some Demigods.

Archive Trap is the reason to NOT wait because they could draw it on their turn.

Anyway, I've been screwed more times by lag than by someone knowing what land I get so I pop it on my turn unless I know they run Vindicate or something. 

Maybe you misunderstood me.
If I'm playing GM, I want to be milled.

Show

I understand you perfectly. You said you would trigger it ASAP if you're playing GM. But if I was playing GM, I WOULD wait because it gives them the chance to draw Archive Trap. If I was playing any other deck, I would not wait. What you said was the other way around.
Hi! I run a YouTube channel at YouTube.com/user/NemosChannel. I upload Duels of the Planeswalkers gameplay, deckbuilds, and even Tier List videos. It's the best place for strategy and silly humor. Drop by and see!
I gotch but I pop it as soon as possible because even if I don't get milled, I need land to get the deck set up.
So either way I profit.

Show

I always wait - the advantages outweigh the disadvantages, even if only in a few situations.

example: mindstorms vs dream puppets. if I go first, I will not fetch, he drops an island and MAY be tempted to drop a phantasm in T1. I then fetch (hoping for no archive trap) a mountain.

If I had fetched the mountain on my turn, opponent will keep a phantasm in hand and not play it until he's milled the first 10 cards.

Just an example.

I'm rolling my eyes at some people's reading comprehension level...  I mean do you want me to spell it out for you, or do you now understand why fetching your land, before I do anything on my turn gives you ZERO advantage?
Sign In to post comments