DLCR: Boros Elite

13 posts / 0 new
Last post
Todays other GTC card to rate is...

Boros Elite

Show

5.0: First pick no matter what.  I will always play this card.
4.5: Splashable and first pick worthy.
4.0: First pick pack 1.
3.5: Early pick though not always a first pick.
3.0: Solid early/mid pick.
2.5: Solid pick in color.
2.0: Should generally make the deck if in this color.
1.5: Decent filler.
1.0: 23rd card if you have to.
0.5: This card will sometimes be sideboarded in.
0.0: I will never put this card into my deck (main deck or after sideboarding).

This guy is ok.  I think he's meant more for constructed.  But he is good in an all out boros deck since you want as many early drops as you can get.

Discuss! 
3. This is a very good card in Boros.
Preparing for the M14 Prerelease - New article up! IN THE TANK - my very own blog for rambling about Magic!

1 mana for a 3/3 is suh-weet. I don't care if it's a 1/1 other times bc except for summoning sickness this thing is probably turned sideways.

I found Carmen Sandiego before you were born unless you're Zlehtnoba.

3 and arguably first pickable (certainly in packs 2 and 3).
At least a 3.0, maybe even 3.5 for this guy. It would certainly be a nightmare to face a Boros deck that played this out consistantly on turn 1 and could get Battalion by turn 3 or 4.
Whenever I encountered him, he was unimpressive. 2.5 for potential power more than anything.
One mana for three power is pretty good. Every Boros deck should be trying to run these guys in multiple.

Whenever I encountered him, he was unimpressive. 2.5 for potential power more than anything.

Pretty much this.  Out of all the Batallioneers he's pretty much the least worrisome, and easiest to shut down. 

And even if you do drop him turn 1, he won't be anything more than an Eager Cadet most of the time until turn 4 unless you getting one of the few hasters out on turn 3.   And even at that point, swinging with a 3/3 is not the most amazing thing, really.

Seen him action, both in Limited and in Constructed against the LGS owner, and even the LGS owner decided to get rid of him from his constructed deck as being to unreliable and not having as much early impact as other options. 

I'll give him 2.5.  He's solid enough in Boros to curve out into your other Battallion effects, but that's about it really. 

Really....2.0 on this one.  

3.0 says solid early pick...if you're picking up a 1/1 creature in the first 3-4 picks of a pack....I think you're passing up a lot of other better cards. 

He's solid if you're already in boros AND need the early drop.  I'd put him in if I have the open slot, but if im not boros, I'm not playin' this guy.  
Is it that difficult to see the potential in a 1 CMC card that can attack as a 3/3 as early as turn 3? If I had to pick one mono-card deck I would least like to play against in Gatecrash it would be this one.

T1: Elite
T2: Elite, Elite, attack for 1
T3: Elite, Elite, Elite, attack for 9
T4: Game

Does anyone see that going down differently?
Is it that difficult to see the potential in a 1 CMC card that can attack as a 3/3 as early as turn 3? If I had to pick one mono-card deck I would least like to play against in Gatecrash it would be this one.

T1: Elite
T2: Elite, Elite, attack for 1
T3: Elite, Elite, Elite, attack for 9
T4: Game

Does anyone see that going down differently?

Sure! We play first.

T1:Mountain
T2:Mountain, Burning-Tree Emissary, Burning-Tree Emissary, Burning-Tree Emissary, Burning-Tree Emissary, Burning-Tree Emissary
T3:Attack for 10
T4:Attack for 12

bulletd Guidelines: 5.0: I will take this card no matter what. Creature 1 or playable 1 or hate 1.Archangel of Thune 4.5: Bomb and splashable. Creature 1-2, playable 1-2, removal 1. Jace, Memory Adept 4.0: Excellent first pick first pack, will sway me into same colors. Creatures 1-4, removal 1. Haunted Plate Mail 3.5: Excellent first pack pick two, will confirm colors or possibly sway into second color. Doom Blade 3.0: Good in-color addition, or splashable removal/creature. Creatures 3-9, removal 1-3. wall of Frost 2.5: Solid pick in-color; creatures 5-12, removal 3-5. Dark Favor 2.0: Creatures 10-16; removal 6-7. Elvish Mystic 1.5: My 23rd or 22nd card, depending on removal. Act of Treason 1.0: 23rd card if I don't maindeck an additional land. Lay of the Land 0.5: This card will sometimes be sideboarded in. Brave the Elements 0.0: I will shred this card for counters. Darksteel Forge
Touche.

The important point here, I think, is that it's not beneficial to evaluate an uncommon+ (in limited) based on how well it would do in multiples, since this is not likely at all.

Unless you're into tappedout.com or something. 
The point I was trying to make is that it doesn't make sense to rate a card in the 2.0 range when it is very easy to come up with a dominating deck using just that card and land. And while pulling 24 copies of the card in Limited seems unlikely,

Elite -> 2 drop battalion -> Skynight Legionnaire

Seems like it should happen all the time in Boros.
Sign In to post comments