DLCR: Boros Charm

18 posts / 0 new
Last post
Todays GTC card to rate is...

Boros Charm

Show

5.0: First pick no matter what.  I will always play this card.
4.5: Splashable and first pick worthy.
4.0: First pick pack 1.
3.5: Early pick though not always a first pick.
3.0: Solid early/mid pick.
2.5: Solid pick in color.
2.0: Should generally make the deck if in this color.
1.5: Decent filler.
1.0: 23rd card if you have to.
0.5: This card will sometimes be sideboarded in.
0.0: I will never put this card into my deck (main deck or after sideboarding).

This card is awesome.  Both in constructed and limited.  All of the abilities can be very useful and I consider this to be the best charm of the entire lot including RTR charms.

Discuss! 
3.5 sure. It's so good I want to rank it higher, but it's not necessarily a bomb.

I found Carmen Sandiego before you were born unless you're Zlehtnoba.

2.5. Simic Charm curb-stomps this in Limited and it's not really splashable (though I guess Gruul would appreciate it).
Preparing for the M14 Prerelease - New article up! IN THE TANK - my very own blog for rambling about Magic!
I'll split the difference and say 3.0. I like all of the modes, but I'm not sure any one of them is a standout. But Boros being what it is I think that mode 1 will be used the most often.
I think 3 and this is neither as strong as Simic or Orzhov in limited (Orzhov being the best I think for the kill any creature ability).
4.0 I will try to get this into any deck I can. In Boros it's great and as an aside I splashed two of these in my Gruul prerelease and they were absolutely lethal.

I love this card!
bulletd Guidelines: 5.0: I will take this card no matter what. Creature 1 or playable 1 or hate 1.Archangel of Thune 4.5: Bomb and splashable. Creature 1-2, playable 1-2, removal 1. Jace, Memory Adept 4.0: Excellent first pick first pack, will sway me into same colors. Creatures 1-4, removal 1. Haunted Plate Mail 3.5: Excellent first pack pick two, will confirm colors or possibly sway into second color. Doom Blade 3.0: Good in-color addition, or splashable removal/creature. Creatures 3-9, removal 1-3. wall of Frost 2.5: Solid pick in-color; creatures 5-12, removal 3-5. Dark Favor 2.0: Creatures 10-16; removal 6-7. Elvish Mystic 1.5: My 23rd or 22nd card, depending on removal. Act of Treason 1.0: 23rd card if I don't maindeck an additional land. Lay of the Land 0.5: This card will sometimes be sideboarded in. Brave the Elements 0.0: I will shred this card for counters. Darksteel Forge
This is 4.0 material simply because of the "Creatures you control are indestructible until end of turn." THe other two abilities are occasionally relevant, but that one just makes it hell to stabilize against a quick start.
"I think me going Bang bang bang I win is pretty intuitive" Mafia Record: Wouldn't you like to know? 2011 Mafia Awards - Mastermind of the Year
mymoment
\
57817638 wrote:
58060728 wrote:
88318561 wrote:
58060728 wrote:
Moriok Rigger does absolutely nothing to boost other riggers. You are incorrect.
Moriok Rigger is not a Rigger in print. Only in Errata WHAT NOW! (yes, I did put that phrase in for that exact reason)
Congratulations, they have activated your trap card!
I'd say this is better than just a middle of the pack pick, and this card is never going to table anyways....which pretty much tells you its better than a 2.5

I can agree with 3.5 in that, it would always be a very early pick, and if i'm playing gruul, boros, or MAYBE orzhov, i'd want to try to play it.  Even if I cut the card, its an easy hate pick.

I can't see 4+ as 4.0 means its a first pick every time...and there's no way in hell i'd pick this over aurelia or her fury, or any other number of bombs in this set.   
I saw this done once: 

he attack with a 3/1 and a 2/1, and the opponent let it through (and has no mana), the guy spend 5 mana scorchwalker the 3/1 + boros charm, and proceed to win in one shot.

I'd say this is better than just a middle of the pack pick, and this card is never going to table anyways....which pretty much tells you its better than a 2.5

I can agree with 3.5 in that, it would always be a very early pick, and if i'm playing gruul, boros, or MAYBE orzhov, i'd want to try to play it.  Even if I cut the card, its an easy hate pick.

I can't see 4+ as 4.0 means its a first pick every time...and there's no way in hell i'd pick this over aurelia or her fury, or any other number of bombs in this set.   

That's NOT what 4.0 means...that's what 5.0 means.
bulletd Guidelines: 5.0: I will take this card no matter what. Creature 1 or playable 1 or hate 1.Archangel of Thune 4.5: Bomb and splashable. Creature 1-2, playable 1-2, removal 1. Jace, Memory Adept 4.0: Excellent first pick first pack, will sway me into same colors. Creatures 1-4, removal 1. Haunted Plate Mail 3.5: Excellent first pack pick two, will confirm colors or possibly sway into second color. Doom Blade 3.0: Good in-color addition, or splashable removal/creature. Creatures 3-9, removal 1-3. wall of Frost 2.5: Solid pick in-color; creatures 5-12, removal 3-5. Dark Favor 2.0: Creatures 10-16; removal 6-7. Elvish Mystic 1.5: My 23rd or 22nd card, depending on removal. Act of Treason 1.0: 23rd card if I don't maindeck an additional land. Lay of the Land 0.5: This card will sometimes be sideboarded in. Brave the Elements 0.0: I will shred this card for counters. Darksteel Forge

This is the OP's criteria....and what i went by.  I see your scale is different, and by your scale, yes; 4.0.  But we can't all be using our own scales and expect to come to an agreement. 

This is the OP's criteria....and what i went by.  I see your scale is different, and by your scale, yes; 4.0.  But we can't all be using our own scales and expect to come to an agreement. 

You're still not making any sense, on your scale you seem to have been describing a 5.0 and calling it a 4.0

Honestly, I like your scale better, as it seems a bit clearer.  

But I'm using the OP's scale (not my own) as I figure since it's his thread, and he posted one, that's what everyone should be using on this thread.  

Shrugs. 
I picked this over Assemble the Legion because my curve was looking really low - is this defensible?
Preparing for the M14 Prerelease - New article up! IN THE TANK - my very own blog for rambling about Magic!
I picked this over Assemble the Legion because my curve was looking really low - is this defensible?

Good question. I'd say yes for a low-curve deck, since you don't necessarily want to topdeck a lategame finisher. I will say I think I  over-estimated the speed of this format, and legion as a battalion-enabler is good.

I found Carmen Sandiego before you were born unless you're Zlehtnoba.

I'd take Boros Charm over Assemble the legion in most circumstances as well.

Don't get me wrong, ATL can really wipe out your opponent but I LOVE having cards like Boros Charm in my hand.

Yes, but probably wrong. Boros Charms helps you win games you are already competitive in, Assemble the Legion just wins games of all kinds when it comes down. I love Boros Charm, but Assemble the Legion has some raw power.
"I think me going Bang bang bang I win is pretty intuitive" Mafia Record: Wouldn't you like to know? 2011 Mafia Awards - Mastermind of the Year
mymoment
\
57817638 wrote:
58060728 wrote:
88318561 wrote:
58060728 wrote:
Moriok Rigger does absolutely nothing to boost other riggers. You are incorrect.
Moriok Rigger is not a Rigger in print. Only in Errata WHAT NOW! (yes, I did put that phrase in for that exact reason)
Congratulations, they have activated your trap card!
5. Why? Because this is the highest valued card I get to keep, the rest has to get redrafted xD

But ideally? I'd say if it's a weak deck (say the rare is diluvian primordial), pick away. 4. 

Pretty guild dependent, pretty much only gruul and boros has need of it. Has not much use in orzhov or simic, but if you want to splash 4 colours and play RWU american cipher-rush, cipher + double strike will be quite fun xD