Dark Ritual

11 posts / 0 new
Last post
Can dark ritual be countered with a counter spell?  It is a mana source so I believe it cannot be countered.
it is a spell, therefore it can be countered. dark ritual is not a "mana ability" because it is not an ability at all.
Don't be too smart to have fun
Dark Ritual uses the stack. Any text that says it's a mana source should be ignored -- the rules were changed back in Sixth Edition and one can always respond to Dark Ritual.
Can dark ritual be countered with a counter spell?

yes
It is a mana source so I believe it cannot be countered.

read it's current Oracle text in Gatherer: Dark Ritual

Dark Ritual

Instant
Add to your mana pool.

Mana source is an obsolete term.
From the Glossary
Mana Source (Obsolete)
An obsolete card type. All cards printed with this card type are now instants. All abilities that, as printed, said a player could “play as a mana source” are now mana abilities. All relevant cards have been given errata in the Oracle card reference.

DCI Certified Judge & Goth/Industrial/EBM/Indie/Alternative/80's-Wave DJ
DJ Vortex

DCI Certified Judge since July 13, 2013  - If you have any concerns with my conduct as a judge, feel free to submit feedback here.
DCI #5209514320

My Wife's Makeup Artist Page <-- cool stuff - check it out

How did mana sources use to work?

Something like this?

Obsolete Dark Ritual
• Instant
, discard Obsolete Dark Ritual: Add to your mana pool.
Obsolete Dark Ritual can't be cast.

• = black color indicator
That's probably as good an approximation as the current rules can supply.
I've never seen a Dark Ritual countered though.  It's best to counter whatever they're using the mana to cast.   Though I suppose someone might use it activate an ability, so there might be at least one situation you'd want to counter it.
Always counter the storm deck's Dark Ritual.  If you start letting them build up mana, they've won.
I've never seen a Dark Ritual countered though.  It's best to counter whatever they're using the mana to cast.   Though I suppose someone might use it activate an ability, so there might be at least one situation you'd want to counter it.

Maybe they're going for a turn 1 dark confidant and you're playing daze. Also as mentioned against storm you'll want to counter the ritual and deny them the mana since they'll likely have enough copies to kill you even if you counter one of them. There are many cases where it's correct to counter the ritual.
Don't be too smart to have fun
That makes sense.  I've never played against storm, so that didn't occur to me.
If they're ritualling into a Slaughter Games, you may want to head them off at the pass.
Sign In to post comments