Boros Charm printing

25 posts / 0 new
Last post
Did Wizards decide to print Boros charm in very limited quantities after people freaked out about it?

I opened an entire booster box and only opened ONE, yet I opened every other shockland from the set, domri rade, enter the infinite, duskmantle overseer, and a foil Crypt Ghast (best black card in the set IMO).

There probably was also a completely unremarkable uncommon that you opened none of, or maybe one. It's called (pseudo)random distribution precisely because you don't get equal amounts of everything and you can't really predict what you'll get. You only look for the strong cards though, so that's what catches your attention.

In short, just chill out and be happy about your awesome rares and mythics.

L1 Judge

It seems odd, but I noticed the same thing about Golgari Charm in RtR. A friend is utterly convinced that some cards are printed at a lower amount than they should be, but I don't think that works out in terms of how the cards are actually printed.

Every box has particular anomalties but if you were to open all of the boxes in the world I'm sure that things would even out. 
Don't be too smart to have fun

There probably was also a completely unremarkable uncommon that you opened none of, or maybe one. It's called (pseudo)random distribution precisely because you don't get equal amounts of everything and you can't really predict what you'll get. You only look for the strong cards though, so that's what catches your attention.

Yeah, I opened a box of Scars of Mirrodin once and got three Liquimetal Coating (useless on its own, but it turns Naturalize into Vindicate for one less, in only one color, stickable, and Modern-legal), only one Infiltration Lens (punisher card, but really good in infect), and two Trigon of Thoughts (worst of the cycle just because of the activation cost). That box only had three Tumble Magnets.

Moral: You don't automatically get a playset of commons and uncommons with a box, and most booster boxes are bought for either the promo or for limited.
139359831 wrote:
Clever deduction Watson! Maybe you can explain why Supergirl is trying to kill me.
---- Autocard is your friend. Lightning Bolt = Lightning Bolt
Did Wizards decide to print Boros charm in very limited quantities after people freaked out about it?

I opened an entire booster box and only opened ONE, yet I opened every other shockland from the set, domri rade, enter the infinite, duskmantle overseer, and a foil Crypt Ghast (best black card in the set IMO).

My paltry GTC collection is the reverse of your anomaly - in the ten boosters I've opened (via two prerelease packages), I've gotten *two* Boros Charms - and a combined zero of the four other Charms.

(My Boros-guild booster did not contain one.  They were all in the random packs).

Anomalies happen.  There are several commons I still don't even have one of, while there's a rare I have in duplicate.  Same thing happened in RtR. 
Similar thing happened to me with vitu-ghazi guildmage in RtR. I opened a fat pack, booster box, gift box(4 boosters), and several miscellaneous boosters, and got 1 of that card. Exactly 1.

I thinsk this is the norm. The RTR booster box i opened had ONE of each charm.
I play for fun
I opened a fat pack and a booster box, and ended up short on keyrunes. There's also a lot of commons I'm short on- I was hoping to build the Dimir deck from the "Govern More of the Guildless" article, but, alas, with only one Deathcult Rogue, it just wasn't going to happen. Ended up short on Gruul guildgates, too.

Oh well, I can probably grab a stack of commons after the next few FNM's to build the decks from.
You are Red/Blue!
You are Red/Blue!
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
You are both rational and emotional. You value creation and discovery, and feel strongly about what I create. At best, you're innovative and intuitive. At worst, you're scattered and unpredictable.
I opened a booster box of Scars of Mirrodin and came out missing one common card...I am not surprised by your pulls. Although common/uncommon playsets for big sets are a ton of cards, it would take selecting from more than one bootser box to complete one.

Please check out my Blog:

Magic the Gathering Adventures Blog

http://mtgadventures.blogspot.com/

Please check out my YouTube channel:

http://www.youtube.com/user/rubiera22/featured

Between two pre release guildpacks (Simic and Gruul) and five prize boosters I got a playest of Soul Ransoms.  I'm quietly hoping it becomes a thing and I can bask in the riches of my pulls.  I also got another one in my fat pack and one more in my booster box so I now have a total of six.  Haven't tallied up my commons and uncommons yet, but I'm sure I have more Soul Ransoms than some of those at this stage.

Cheers

Why would anyone be excited about Duskmantle Overseer or Enter the Infinite?

Enter the infinite is 12 mana to cost, and duskmantle overseer seems like more of a "who draws higher cards first loses" cards.

All the Shocklands are good value, Domri Rade is good value, Duskmantle Overseer is good value. Enter the Infinite combos with Omniscience, so there

Not all of the rares and mythics you open need to be chase cards. Jeez.

L1 Judge

I myself only got one in my booster box and one in a fat pack. 2 is what I wanted but extra would have been great.
There's a guy at the factory named Boris Charm that keeps stealing them off of the line.
At the Friday release draft between a fat pack, box and prize packs I opened a full playset of Breeding Pool, one of which was foil. Despite all those packs and two drafts I have yet to aquire a single Orzhov Charm, stuff like this happens.
IMAGE(http://images.community.wizards.com/community.wizards.com/user/blitzschnell/c1b8574f03c7cff35d72311f1208599a.jpg?v=90000)
Why has nobody done the simple math yet? 80 uncommons total in Gatecrash, 36*3 = 108 non foil uncommons in a booster box. You expect to get 108/80 = 1.35 of each uncommon in your box. In other words, you're more likely to get 1 Boros Charm than you are to get 2, and it's highly unlikely you'll get 4+.

Of course, it's not THAT unlikely, but for most uncommons you should see between 0 and 3 copies per box.
Immature College Student (Also a Rules Advisor)
Why has nobody done the simple math yet? 80 uncommons total in Gatecrash, 36*3 = 108 non foil uncommons in a booster box. You expect to get 108/80 = 1.35 of each uncommon in your box. In other words, you're more likely to get 1 Boros Charm than you are to get 2, and it's highly unlikely you'll get 4+.

Of course, it's not THAT unlikely, but for most uncommons you should see between 0 and 3 copies per box.

Not quite, check your math again.

You have to carry the 1, divide by 2, and remember that your on the internet.

Factoring all that in, the OP should have gotten a playset of Boros Charm because he wanted them and it's just an uncommon.

My forever unfinished blog of the 2010 MTGO Community Cup: if you're ever bored...
Just looked up the price on a foil Boros Charm - $15! Now I don't feel so bad about going 1-2-1 on Saturday, haha.
I haven't seen any Boros Charms, but I got three Dimir Charms in one Fat Pack.

Along with a Dimir life counter, Keyrune, Watery Grave, and Mind Grind.
I feel like someone's trying to tell me something..
I'm just under halfway done opening my box of Gatecrash and I've got two Boros Charms.  This stuff happens though.  I opened a box of Avacyn Restored and only got two copies of Cloudshift.

University of Charleston School of Pharmacy, Class of 2016

My Peasant Cube: A Cube for the Commoners

That's just silly. That's just chance, and such a person wouldn't exist anyway. *mutters "they're onto us" into collar*
139359831 wrote:
Clever deduction Watson! Maybe you can explain why Supergirl is trying to kill me.
---- Autocard is your friend. Lightning Bolt = Lightning Bolt

I don't think the timing allows this to happen. It was already too late to do something about Boros Charm's print run by the time the card was revealed.

[<o>]
I really doubt it.  Forget the fact that that box was probably made of cards that were physically printed before boros charm was even spoiled.  Forget the fact that WOTC would have no motive to do that.  Forget the fact that, with 80 total uncommons and 96 uncommons in one booster box, getting 1 boros charm is about average.  But even if you forget all that stuff, I don't think this is believable.  I mean, how unlikely is it that WOTC has a gigantic conspiracy, and Bankaimastery doesn't catch on to it first?

Why does everyone think I'm phantom lancer? QFT:

Show
139359831 wrote:
I hope all this helps you to see things in a greater light—and understand that Magic: the Gathering was really created by extraterrestials using Richard Garfield as a medium. The game itself reflects the socio-psycho realtivity between living beings, and the science that takes precedence over them—to define reality for them all (like telekinesis, weather, scientific reaction, phenomenon, ingenuity, how the brain works, etc.). I'd also bet there is an entity floating thousands of miles above us, looking down on the current state of game, shaking its fist like... "Wtf are you doing?! You're getting it all screwed up!". Awkward—to be evolved, and yet still subject to the ladder that is the concepts of the game. In this case, misconception, corruption, and deception. With the realities of each color becoming distorted (through oblivious designers), leading the game to reflect a false state of reality that warps the understanding that other people have about those things. For example, people thinking that white could be anything except pure good. This shouldn't be too far off though, I mean...Magic is designed based on reality after all, so that entity (those entities) should be subject to those things. Anyways, I guess when you're busy doing space stuff you can't always be around to ensure quality control. It's no wonder they choose Garfield, they're so much alike; that's exactly what happened to him and Magic.
166199665 wrote:
omg snortng so much febbdelicious /intocixated in rl

That's just silly. That's just chance, and such a person wouldn't exist anyway. *mutters "they're onto us" into collar*

Between my pre-release packs, the fat pack, and the booster box, I may have gotten two watery graves- one might be foil- and two Lazav... Possibly among a bunch of other related cards.

Which is ridiculous, as Lazav doesn't exist. 
You are Red/Blue!
You are Red/Blue!
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
You are both rational and emotional. You value creation and discovery, and feel strongly about what I create. At best, you're innovative and intuitive. At worst, you're scattered and unpredictable.