Making a gambler/ card thrower.

8 posts / 0 new
Last post
Well...as seen in the title...i'm gonna try making a slick kind of guy. Off course any positive comment is welcome. 

anyhow...i'd  like to hear is there is such a thing? 
Found Something wich the DM approved.
www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Gambler_(3.5e_Class)

If you still got some suggestions...or a gear advice...always welcome 
I've always thought about doing this.  My plan was always to just make a fighter/rogue who focused on throwing.  Your main weapons would be shuriken (flavored to look like metal edged playing cards.  Maybe once you get high enough level you assign different magical effects to the different suits) with something like a cane (club) or rapier as a backup.  Have feats like Point Blank Shot and Far Shot and many of the feats that have those as prereqs.  Definitely have Ranged Pin for flare.  Highest skills would be Balance, Bluff, Diplomacy, Slieght of Hand, and Tumble. 

your link doesn't work if you click it, you have to copy and paste the whole thing FYI.

That class looks obnoxious as anything to play. Why? its really unclear in a lot of places, and it will lead to confusion. Also its damage will suck past level 1-2, even if making multiple attacks a round. 

If interested I will offer to attempt a homebrew rewrite using similar themes and a warlock chassis? Base it off Twisted Fate from LOL and Gambit from x men?

"In a way, you are worse than Krusk"

"Can't say enough how much I agree with Krusk"

"Your advice is the worst"

even if you didn't want, i roughed this out in 40 minutes and think it should play a little better. It should be solidly at the same power level of a rogue. Maybe a little above.

BAB = Med
Fort = Poor
Ref = Good
Will = Poor

HD = d6
Skills = See Bard.
Armor and weapons = See Bard (yes you get whips)

Level 1 - Card Throw - You are trained to throw cards deadly and accurately. You can use a regular deck of playing cards as a weapon. Attacks with cards are done as a ranged touch attack, but do not allow strength for damage. They crit on a 19-20, and have a range incriment of 30ft. These cards deal 1d4 piercing damage each. They allow precision damage at a range of 30 ft as normal.

Level 2 - Gamblers Luck - You gain an additional luck feat of your choice (See complete scoundrel). In addition, you can add your charisma modifier to the number of luck rerolls you have per day.
Roll the Dice - 1/Day - You can ask the DM to reroll any die roll they made. This governs any roll of the die made at any time during the session. The DM must take the lower of the two results. This can be used after you know the result of their roll.

Level 3 - Charged Cards - When you throw a card you are able to charge it. It deals an extra d6 of precision damage per two gambler levels (round down).(At level 20 you deal +10d6 damage on each one) This extra damage only applies to cards thrown, but applies to any attack with a card. For the purposes of feats, prestige classes and similar options that require sneak attack this ability is the equivilent.

Level 4 - Luck of the Draw - The players needs a deck of cards for this ability. Whenever you throw a card, draw a card. Pick one from the list. After you draw a card discard it. When you run out, reshuffel your deck.
Flaming Hearts- If the card is a heart suit, the damage is converted to fire damage.
Blood Diamond - If the card is a diamond, you gain hit points equal to the value of the card. (Face cards and aces count as 10)
Irresistable - If the card is a club, the damage becomes force damage.
Spades - If this card is a spade, you can choose to make an additional attack roll against any creature directly adjascent to the target.
The Mob - If the card is not a face card (Aces are face cards) you add its value to your damage result.
Royal Flush - If the card is a face card (aces count) it gains the keen property.
Wild Card - Insert jokers into the deck. Whenever you draw a joker the attack deals double damage. (double your charged card damage as well)
Ace of Spades - If the card is the ace of spades, the creature struck must make a fort save DC 10 + Cha mod + 1/2 gambler level or be instantly destroyed. This is not a death effect, and functions as the disintegration spell in all other ways.
Crazy 8's - Whenever you draw an 8 the target must make a saving throw DC 10 + Cha mod + 1/2 gambler level or be affected by the confusion spell.

Level 5 - Gamblers Luck - You gain a bonus luck feat. You do not need to meet the prerequisite.

level 6 - Roll the Dice - 2/Day - You can ask the DM to reroll any die roll they made. This governs any roll of the die made at any time during the session. The DM must take the lower of the two results. This can be used after you know the result of their roll.

Level 7 -

Level 8 - Luck of the Draw - Pick another ability from the luck of the draw pool. If you have multiple abilities that would go off for the same card, both are triggered in whatever order you want.

Level 9 - Stack the Deck - Whenever you would draw a card from the "Luck of the Draw" class feature, you can draw two and choose the better.

Level 10 - Gamblers Luck - You gain a bonus luck feat. You do not need to meet the prerequisite.

Level 11 - Roll the Dice - 3/Day - You can ask the DM to reroll any die roll they made. This governs any roll of the die made at any time during the session. The DM must take the lower of the two results. This can be used after you know the result of their roll.

Level 12 - Luck of the Draw - Pick another ability from the luck of the draw pool. If you have multiple abilities that would go off for the same card, both are triggered in whatever order you want.
Level 13 -
Level 14 -
Level 15 - Gamblers Luck - You gain a bonus luck feat. You do not need to meet the prerequisite.

Level 16 - Roll the Dice - 4/Day - You can ask the DM to reroll any die roll they made. This governs any roll of the die made at any time during the session. The DM must take the lower of the two results. This can be used after you know the result of their roll.
Luck of the Draw - Pick another ability from the luck of the draw pool. If you have multiple abilities that would go off for the same card, both are triggered in whatever order you want.

Level 17 -
Level 18 -
Level 19 - Gamblers Luck - You gain a bonus luck feat. You do not need to meet the prerequisite.
Luck of the Draw - Pick another ability from the luck of the draw pool. If you have multiple abilities that would go off for the same card, both are triggered in whatever order you want.

Level 20 - Peeking - You can draw whatever card you want from your deck at any time. Even if that card is already discarded.

Extra Feats
Lots of Luck - You gain an additional luck of the draw ability. If you do not already have this ability, you gain no benefit from this feat.
Some luck (complete scoundrel) feats should be here too.

Magic Decks of Cards

you should come up with some.

"In a way, you are worse than Krusk"

"Can't say enough how much I agree with Krusk"

"Your advice is the worst"

Don't forget the character Bullseye, the assassin from DareDevil...  of course, I don't think there are many paperclips lying around in D&D...
Options:

1) Pick the Master Thrower build of your choice.
2) Add max ranks in Profession (gambler)
3) Throw Clubs (10' range increment) and Spades (Improvised weapon normally, could be a custom throwing axe?)
4) Profit

1) Play any normal illusionist
2) Include throwing playing cards as part of any spellcasting
3) Take the cheat spell
4) Profit
I think it should be a rogue character that has some abilities similar to the warlock.
If you are looking to be Gambit, charging cards and whipping them as energy weapons is like a warlock throwing his eldritch blasts.

Warlocks often take ranged feats.
Maybe he should just be a warlock variant or rogue/warlock hybrid.