Indestructible Q

9 posts / 0 new
Last post
Say I block with High Priest of Penance that I've turned Indestructible, does it still actually receive combat damage to trigger it's ability? If I understand Indestructibility correctly, lethal damage does not destroy, but is still dealt to, the Indestructible permanent.
STEP 1: Find your cousin STEP 2: Get your cousin in the cannon STEP: 3 Find another cousin

119.6. Damage marked on a creature remains until the cleanup step, even if that permanent stops being a creature. If the total damage marked on a creature is greater than or equal to its toughness, that creature has been dealt lethal damage and is destroyed as a state-based action

119.6. Damage marked on a creature remains until the cleanup step, even if that permanent stops being a creature. If the total damage marked on a creature is greater than or equal to its toughness, that creature has been dealt lethal damage and is destroyed as a state-based action

Unfortunately this isn't actually answering my question.  Indestructibility doesn't somehow prevent damage, it just stops (lethally)damaged permanents from being destroyed, correct?

STEP 1: Find your cousin STEP 2: Get your cousin in the cannon STEP: 3 Find another cousin
Indeed, forgot about that. Indestructibility doesn't prevent damage. It just stop a permanent from being destroyed (like from lethal damage)..
"Indestructible" isnt actually a special Magic word - it just uses the normal English meaning: "cannot be destroyed".

Everything else happens as normal, except the creature isnt destroyed.

Note that the only things that "destroy" in Magic are:
- damage marked on a creatre equal to or greater than it's toughness
- damage from a source with Deathtouch
- things that say "destroy"

Hope that helps

~ Tim        
I am Blue/White Reached DCI Rating 1800 on 28/10/11. :D
Sig
56287226 wrote:
190106923 wrote:
Not bad. But what happens flavor wise when one kamahl kills the other one?
Zis iz a sign uf deep psychological troma, buried in zer subconscious mind. By keelink himzelf, Kamahl iz physically expressink hiz feelinks uf self-disgust ova hiz desire for hiz muzzer. [/GermanPsychologistVoice]
56957928 wrote:
57799958 wrote:
That makes no sense to me. If they spelled the ability out on the card in full then it would not be allowed in a mono-black Commander deck, but because they used a keyword to save space it is allowed? ~ Tim
Yup, just like you can have Birds of paradise in a mono green deck but not Noble Hierarch. YAY COLOR IDENTITY
56287226 wrote:
56888618 wrote:
Is algebra really that difficult?
Survey says yes.
56883218 wrote:
57799958 wrote:
You want to make a milky drink. You squeeze a cow.
I love this description. Like the cows are sponges filled with milk. I can see it all Nick Parks claymation-style with the cow's eyes bugging out momentarily as a giant farmer squeezes it like a squeaky dog toy, and milk shoots out of it.
56287226 wrote:
56735468 wrote:
And no judge will ever give you a game loss for playing snow covered lands.
I now have a new goal in life. ;)
Say I block with High Priest of Penance that I've turned Indestructible, does it still actually receive combat damage to trigger it's ability? If I understand Indestructibility correctly, lethal damage does not destroy, but is still dealt to, the Indestructible permanent.

Yes.

Wizards of the Coast: NOT ANYMORE outsourced to Elbonia

700.4. If a permanent is indestructible, rules and effects can't destroy it.  (See rule 701.6 "Destroy").  Such permanents are not destroyed by lethal damage, and they ignore the lethal-damage state-based action (see rule 704.5g). Rules or effects may cause an indestructible permanent to be sacrificed, put into a graveyard, or exiled.

Cheers  

The answers is
Yes ,your Priest is dealt damage but still alive because "indestructible" ignore any lethal damage (both combat or non-combat damage).

Please autocard , check it on [read this first] - creating a rules thread.

And use lower case c to autocard.

The answers is
Yes ,your Priest is dealt damage but still alive because "indestructible" ignore any lethal damage (both combat or non-combat damage).

I wouldnt put it like that.

Nothing is "ignoring" the damage for any purpose - it is still being dealt, and will still be marked on him (and if he later stops being indestructible while it is still marked on him then he will be destroyed at that point).     

He just cant be destroyed while he is indestructible. 

(indestructible is actually pretty straightforward)

~ Tim   

I am Blue/White Reached DCI Rating 1800 on 28/10/11. :D
Sig
56287226 wrote:
190106923 wrote:
Not bad. But what happens flavor wise when one kamahl kills the other one?
Zis iz a sign uf deep psychological troma, buried in zer subconscious mind. By keelink himzelf, Kamahl iz physically expressink hiz feelinks uf self-disgust ova hiz desire for hiz muzzer. [/GermanPsychologistVoice]
56957928 wrote:
57799958 wrote:
That makes no sense to me. If they spelled the ability out on the card in full then it would not be allowed in a mono-black Commander deck, but because they used a keyword to save space it is allowed? ~ Tim
Yup, just like you can have Birds of paradise in a mono green deck but not Noble Hierarch. YAY COLOR IDENTITY
56287226 wrote:
56888618 wrote:
Is algebra really that difficult?
Survey says yes.
56883218 wrote:
57799958 wrote:
You want to make a milky drink. You squeeze a cow.
I love this description. Like the cows are sponges filled with milk. I can see it all Nick Parks claymation-style with the cow's eyes bugging out momentarily as a giant farmer squeezes it like a squeaky dog toy, and milk shoots out of it.
56287226 wrote:
56735468 wrote:
And no judge will ever give you a game loss for playing snow covered lands.
I now have a new goal in life. ;)
Sign In to post comments