Throne of Geth and Sense's Divining Top

11 posts / 0 new
Last post
If I play a throne of geth and then play a sensei's divining top I tap throne of geth and choose the top as my target then tap the top to activate it's second ability and before it goes poof, place it on top of my library. In effect, it would seem like I've beaten the odds but I'm feeling funny about the ruling. Would the top be saved and I in essence have continues card to use for proliferate or will the removal of the top negate the requirement of the throne, or wiould I simply be forced to choose another target?
throne doesn't target. you pay the costs as you activate the ability. you can't avoid the sacrifice, it happens immediately.

120.6. Some effects replace card draws.

why are you here when NGA exists and is just better

You can never cheat a sacrifice*. If you're asked to sacrifice something as a cost, you can't respond to that cost. If you're asked to sacrifice an artifact as part of an effect and, in response, you put Sensei's Divining Top on top of your library, you'll have to sacrifice a different artifact if you have one.

*You could technically bounce your only creature in response to a Diabolic Edict, but in that case you don't sacrifice anything because you can't.
Rules Advisor
So I couldn't tap the throne, choose the top then as an instant activate the top's ability which should take place before the sacrifice goes through once the stack resolves?
So I couldn't tap the throne, choose the top then as an instant activate the top's ability which should take place before the sacrifice goes through once the stack resolves?

Costs of abilities and spells do not go on the stack. You cannot respond to a payment, whether it be tapping, sacrificing, or spending mana.

IMAGE(http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/5.jpg)

You could activate the top's second ability and in response activate the throne's one sacrificing the top. You'd then proliferate and then draw a card but unable to put the top back on your library, because it's in the graveyard (or any other zone in case of a replacement effect).

Rules Advisor

The Basic rulebook, read it! A lot of basic questions are answered there!

How to autocard :
Type [c]Black Lotus[/c] to get Black Lotus.
Type [c=Black Lotus]The Overpowered One[/c] to get The Overpowered One.

Yes you can do what you want but not the way you stated it. You activate the top, which is a normal activated ability and goes on the stack, You retain priority and activate the throne targetting the top. Abilities once on the stack are independant of their source. So each ability does as much as it can as it resolves off the stack.

Your throne will proliferate, you paid the cost by sacrificing the top. Then the top activation will resolve causing you to draw a card but since the top is no longer in play it will not be sent to the top of your library.

As long as you are doing any of these things you should consider also running things like,

voltaic key which will let you untap a top before the stack resolves and tap it again thus netting you a card.

Things that recover artifacts from the graveyard are also very useful.
skeleton shard and, Myr Retriever are justly famous.

The last honorable mention should go to elixir of immortality which tend to be very useful wit hthe rest of the package since it is another good key target and the artifact storage devices such as mana vault or grim monolith.
You are Red/Blue!
You are Red/Blue!
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
You are both rational and emotional. You value creation and discovery, and feel strongly about what I create. At best, you're innovative and intuitive. At worst, you're scattered and unpredictable.
Yes you can do what you want but not the way you stated it. You activate the top, which is a normal activated ability and goes on the stack, You retain priority and activate the throne targetting the top.

The throne's ability DOES NOT TARGET. You surely meant activating the throne by tapping it and saccing the top.

Rules Advisor

The Basic rulebook, read it! A lot of basic questions are answered there!

How to autocard :
Type [c]Black Lotus[/c] to get Black Lotus.
Type [c=Black Lotus]The Overpowered One[/c] to get The Overpowered One.

voltaic key which will let you untap a top before the stack resolves and tap it again thus netting you a card.

The stack doesn't resolve. It is a zone. Objects on the stack resolve.
BgFlarghamit!

You are both completely correct. Throne does not target it chooses and it certainly matters when we forget and use target generally.

Objects on the stack do indeed resolve instead of the stack itself. I have been nitpicked. It hurt!
You are Red/Blue!
You are Red/Blue!
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
You are both rational and emotional. You value creation and discovery, and feel strongly about what I create. At best, you're innovative and intuitive. At worst, you're scattered and unpredictable.

you choose one ability to activate and you do it completely

so if you choose Throne, the Proliferate ability goes on the stack awaiting resolution and you tap Throne and sacrifice an artifact (you could use Throne or Top) and the activation is complete

now, you can't activate Top if you just sacced it to the Throne activation, can you?

DCI Certified Judge & Goth/Industrial/EBM/Indie/Alternative/80's-Wave DJ
DJ Vortex

DCI Certified Judge since July 13, 2013
DCI #5209514320

My Wife's Makeup Artist Page <-- cool stuff - check it out

Sign In to post comments