Legendary Lands Cycle for my Lands Matter set - "Name a nonland card"

15 posts / 0 new
Last post
My favorite card, I think, ever, is Nevermore. And it has "nonland" in it. So I figured in my lands matter block, I'd stick a bunch of effects like that in. On lands, of course.

BLUE - Is found on Meddling Mage, white already has the ability mechanic because it is only found on white cards.
WHITE - Self explanatory
BLACK - Cabal Therapy on a land. I'm a bit worried that this means too much potential for bleed to other colors. 
RED - Black has the hand hitting and graveyard hitting part of slaughter games. Red must have deck hitting.
GREEN - What I wish bearscape was. Only fitting with the cycle, of course.
Pithing Needle on a land... so only white, black, and red can properly deal with it.

Yeah... um... incredibly overpowered.  Those abilities should never appear on a land unless the land inclues "When this comes into play, an opponent gains ownership of $500 you own."
Show
144902215 wrote:
Sometimes I imagine what Cisnero's life must be like. I imagine cargo pants - every pocket stuffed with coins. I imagine him (I almost said "him or her" but then I decided his gender with through the randomization of a small metal disk) - I imagine him, shopping, purchasing food, choosing which spot to park in, all through this meticulous flipping process. I imagine him asking a girl out, taking her to have a drink or whatever and then asking if she wants to play this fun game. When she responds "Sure." he removes a single quarter from one of his jingling pockets. Then proceeds to flip it repeatedly while she calls it - until she is able to make up an excuse to leave. Will he respond to this post? Only if the Chaotic Gods of Copper and Nickel deem it so. Someday many years from now, in the Dystopian future world, I'll ride my Billy Idol Unicycle past a bedraggled slumbub - He'll be clad in armor made all of the (now worthless) coins of yesterdecade. He'll grin a shiny grin at me as he flips another coin - and I'll know who it was. How could I not?
I rather overcome a deck with repeats with my own cards

A bear land  for green is nice

the white card is also effective against any card

BLUE - Is found on Meddling Mage, white already has the ability mechanic because it is only found on white cards.
WHITE - Self explanatory
BLACK - Cabal Therapy on a land. I'm a bit worried that this means too much potential for bleed to other colors. 
RED - Black has the hand hitting and graveyard hitting part of slaughter games. Red must have deck hitting.
GREEN - What I wish bearscape was. Only fitting with the cycle, of course.

Aside from being insanely powerful, I would suggest making the blue one tap to counter and the white one tap to give you protection.

Also, the red part of Slaughter Games is the uncounterability... Maybe let the red one make spells with that name uncounterable.
These are all incredibly powerful. Way too good to be on lands.
The white land is tolerable, and the green one is probably fine. Considering they don't "exactly" stop your opponents from doing things.

The blue one, black one, and red one is invaluable to any legacy/vintage deck.
The blue one would be main decked in almost every deck, and the red and black ones would be it's side board.

Game one, you find out your opponent's strategy.
Game two you ruin your opponent's strategy.
IF
Game three, hope your opponent can't prevent lands from entering the battlefield.

Again, those card are terribly overpowered because they prevent your opponent from doing valuable things, for free, uncounterable (unless your opponent has a stifle).
The white one allows your opponent to play counteractive things, or at least use the thing it named (if it's a creature, or triggered abilities).
The green one becomes a creature. Dryad Arbor does this and is a pretty decent mark of power for the green one I'd say.
Official archnemesis of magicpablo666 Host of Reactionary Proud owner of "The Terrible Cube" The altimis Archive I'm baking lands!!! Beginner of GROMA
Notable Quotables:
58060728 wrote:
I carefully examine the walls of the room in a determined effort to not follow the GMs plot.
>The blue one, black one, and red one is invaluable to any legacy/vintage deck.

don't know what legacy vontage means . do they play repeats ?
Want to balance it a little bit? Have the effect be based on it being untapped... still probably way to strong. Thye green ones kinda neat though. Could be a cycle there. If an opponent has/does/controls/etc. is a blah blah.

That seems to have potential design space.
Pithing Needle on a land... so only white, black, and red can properly deal with it.

And green. Actually, green gets more LD than white these days.
139359831 wrote:
Clever deduction Watson! Maybe you can explain why Supergirl is trying to kill me.
---- Autocard is your friend. Lightning Bolt = Lightning Bolt
Is it just me or did green get the shaft? The white and blue mages get to lockdown a deck, green gets a chump blocker.. wooo.....

Ironically of couse, green is the only one that could possibly see print and is probably the power level around which you could actually make this cycle

Decks
Modern

Bloody Fangs

Cruel Master

Life Unbound

Survival of the Fittest

EDH

The Indomitable Doran, the Siege Tower

Mimeomancy The Mimeoplasm

Cube

360 Pauper "Colour Basics"

I am Blue/Green
I am Blue/Green
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.

Is it just me or did green get the shaft? The white and blue mages get to lockdown a deck, green gets a chump blocker.. wooo.....

Ironically of couse, green is the only one that could possibly see print and is probably the power level around which you could actually make this cycle

To be fair, I felt this way about the primordials, mostly because everything about Sylvan is useless late in the game.
139359831 wrote:
Clever deduction Watson! Maybe you can explain why Supergirl is trying to kill me.
---- Autocard is your friend. Lightning Bolt = Lightning Bolt
Well, reading this again, I realized I was pretty stupid, as blue's effect is almost-strictly-better (assuming no land destruction) than black and red. Thus, blue is getting "while this is untapped." That also gives them a turn to play any they have in their hand, just to help differentiate the effect from black's. 

I could do the same for white, I'm getting mixed signals on that one in terms of comments. I think just to be on the safe side I'm going to make that "while this is untapped" too. 

To be honest, I don't consider the black one hugely broken. I mean, Cabal Therapy was already a one-drop, and coming into play tapped has essentially the same effect as costing 1 mana, only of course it has the potential to give you card advantage because you essentially get a "free" land without using up a card in your hand one turn later. Still, I always thought the Cabal Therapy effect aught to be pushed more.

Do you think I should push the Green one, if so, how? 

As for the red one, I am hesitant to give something uncounterability as that feels like a green effect.
There are 8 red cards that are or make other things uncounterable, but only one is a creature. Green has 15, but all but one are creatures/make creatures so. There are only a smattering of uncounterable in the other colors. The most useful uncounterable though is Vexing Shusher. So its kind of a toss up.
Dude these are all super-bananas. They need a massive nerfing across the board.

And green. Actually, green gets more LD than white these days.

LD hasn't been seen haeavily in white for quite a while now, and even when it was common in white it was mostly of the destroy all lands variety. Most of white's LD today is in the form of spells that can destroy any permanent.
 To be honest, I don't consider the black one hugely broken. I mean, Cabal Therapy was already a one-drop, and coming into play tapped has essentially the same effect as costing 1 mana, only of course it has the potential to give you card advantage because you essentially get a "free" land without using up a card in your hand one turn later. Still, I always thought the Cabal Therapy effect aught to be pushed more.

Do you think I should push the Green one, if so, how? 

As for the red one, I am hesitant to give something uncounterability as that feels like a green effect.

The issue with the black so isn't so much the card it can save you in your hand, it's the card slot it frees up when you're building the deck. If you can put a land into your deck that also doubles as a spell, then that's one more spell you've been able to put into your deck without cutting a land and hurting your mana base. You get your thoughtseize and your swamp too. It's like slathering chocolate on peanut butter to create an OP taste sensation.
That's the biggest reason that lands with bonus effects are so good and it adds a huge amount of power to the card.

The white one seems alright to me. It's close to as powerful as a land can reasonably be, but I don't think it crosses that line.

The green one is awesome. It accomplishes the hosing effect on the card you name, not by making it unplayable (which is pretty harsh even before you make a whole cycle's worth of the ability) but by giving you a free creature. It can be played around if your opponent just doesn't cast the named spell or decides giving you a 2/2 is worth it. Since it's not too harsh and it's also awesome it's worth trying to push it. Be careful though, because it doesn't have too much room to improve. 2/3 seems safe, 3/2 is pushing it but possibly works.
Also I think that it might be more interesting if the land couldn't already name a card already on the battlefield. Then the green land could be a 3/3 easy.
For comparison see Diregraf Ghoul and Dryad Arbour.