Return to Ravnica's Soldier Token...

34 posts / 0 new
Last post
is  (in at least two ways) the set's token black person.  This wouldn't even have caught my eye had there been even a couple of non-pasty faces featured prominently in any other cards.  It's 2013, and I don't think WotC gets the concept of "institutional disenfranchisement."

University of Charleston School of Pharmacy, Class of 2016

My Peasant Cube: A Cube for the Commoners

what's your point?
proud member of the 2011 community team
Who said he's black? It's kind of hard to tell. Edit, I was looking at the Gatecrash soldier not the RtR one. She's a black woman alright.
IMAGE(http://www.spritestitch.com/forum/images/ranks/rank7mario.gif)
We should have more black people on cards in general. That's what. 
Who cares?

why?
does it matter?

To what end? Is being on Magic cards some unalienable right 'the man' is keeping people from? I dont see any Asian people on cards outside Kamigawa, is that racist too?
Ravnica hasn't discovered Rafrica yet, is all.

IMAGE(http://i1101.photobucket.com/albums/g424/syreal94/SIGS1AL.png) Sig by zpikduM.

To what end? Is being on Magic cards some unalienable right 'the man' is keeping people from? I dont see any Asian people on cards outside Kamigawa, is that racist too?

Yeah, who needs diversity? 

Wow, that's a bit extreme, don't ya think?
why does the skin color even matter?
Koth or Teferi happen to be black, Jace or Venser happen to be white, does that say anything about them?

but while we're on the subject, why aren't there any female soldier tokens?
that's SEXIST!!

I guess because only white people play magic, right? 
Koth or Teferi happen to be black, Jace or Venser happen to be white, does that say anything about them?

that's SEXIST!!

Because not only white people play Magic. People play this game world wide and an image of mostly white males are being sent around. It's called cultural imperialism. 

that's SEXIST!!

Because not only white people play Magic. People play this game world wide and an image of mostly white males are being sent around. It's called cultural imperialism. 

granted, I am a white male, so I probably don't see it, so take my posts with a grain of salt

but it's a f*cking game
when I roleplay I often choose non-white non-male characters, in some (video) games that even is the only option
should I complain to the makers of GTA IV that they should have included a white female option? what about if I wanted to play a male asian Lara Croft?

once again, I ask you what does it matter if some characters are white and some are black? what would be the "political correct" ratio of white to black people?
Didnt take long for someone to break out a Nazi reference.

Do we need fake diversity in a fake card game? 
Come to think of it, I don't recall any black people (or cat wizards) in Lord of the Rings. Therefore, it is Nazi Propaganda, correct?

You are what is wrong with the world.

that's SEXIST!!

I guess because only white people play magic, right? 

Correct, black people don't play Fantasy Games.
Honestly though, I'm most offended by the incredibly offensively low representation of Dinosaurs.
since I just saw the Superbowl I want to complain about the lack of white people in the NFL!

that's SEXIST!!

granted, I am a white male, so I probably don't see it, so take my posts with a grain of salt

but it's a f*cking game
when I roleplay I often choose non-white non-male characters, in some (video) games that even is the only option
should I complain to the makers of GTA IV that they should have included a white female option? what about if I wanted to play a male asian Lara Croft?

once again, I ask you what does it matter if some characters are white and some are black? what would be the "political correct" ratio of white to black people?

It's easy when you're the majority to not see racism or how inherently racist the culture of the society you live in is. Also, the US is the largest exporter of media around the world. We impart our culture and cultural beliefs on others whether it be forced or not. It's not forcing people to think a certain way but its subtly changing what people's beliefs. This isn't like missons to convert people to Christianity. 

It's not about having some proper percentage breakdown, it's about having representation. As an Asian-American I would like some kind of representation but in my government and the majority of the media there isn't any. Overwhelming white male prescence in the media yet I know there are a lot women, blacks, hispanics and other ethnic groups living in this country. 
Its quite easy to see racisim where this is none if thats what you want to find.

that's SEXIST!!

but it's a f*cking game

It's easy when you're the majority to not see racism or how inherently racist the culture of the society you live in is. Also, the US is the largest exporter of media around the world. We impart our culture and cultural beliefs on others whether it be forced or not. It's not forcing people to think a certain way but its subtly changing what people's beliefs. This isn't like missons to convert people to Christianity. 

It's not about having some proper percentage breakdown, it's about having representation. As an Asian-American I would like some kind of representation but in my government and the majority of the media there isn't any. Overwhelming white male prescence in the media yet I know there are a lot women, blacks, hispanics and other ethnic groups living in this country. 

...and just because there's not enough black people (in a game mind you, a form of art) means that they are racist? Incorrect. If black people are repeatedly pictured as slaves, well that's racist.

It is our culture I guess, don't import it then, if it's so offensive find your own game to play.

Magic is an form of art. Not a cultural representation of the Earth or of America or anything else. The breakdown of races is completely irrelevent and I'm having a bit of trouble actually taking your posts seriously and responding intelligently, and not just calling you an idiot and moving on with my day.

Lol, I've changed my mind. You are obviously just bored and decided to pull the race card to troll the forums. Troll, troll, troll. Don't feed the troll.
since I just saw the Superbowl

american culture baffles me

IMAGE(http://i1.minus.com/jbcBXM4z66fMtK.jpg)

192884403 wrote:
surely one can't say complex conditional passive language is bad grammar ?
since I just saw the Superbowl

american culture baffles me

and I'm not even american!
Magic's lore occurs within a completely fictional fantasy universe that in no way is supposed to be representitive of the real world.

You dont just force racial diversity as a required theme for every work of fiction ever, that silly.   If a fictional universe only includes green people for some reason, then it only includes green people.  You dont ask why there arent purple people.  It's Fiction.

There was lots of diversity when the storyline was based on the massive planet of Dominaria instead of hopping around to planes that each seem to be the size of a Star Trek set.

Beam me up scotty so we can go to the next narrow and easily generalized planet where only one thing of relevance can be going on at a time.  Honestly if they tried to claim different races evolved within what feels like a few square miles I wouldnt even believe them.

Current decks
Comments or suggestions are always welcome

Modern
nothing at the moment

While we're on the subject, why are all of the Angel tokens female? Aren't angels supposed to be androgenous anyway?
You are Red/Blue!
You are Red/Blue!
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
You are both rational and emotional. You value creation and discovery, and feel strongly about what I create. At best, you're innovative and intuitive. At worst, you're scattered and unpredictable.
While we're on the subject, why are all of the Angel tokens female? Aren't angels supposed to be androgenous anyway?

In the Magic universe they are contructs of white mana and are female.  My understanding is that this was a conscious choice to set the MTG lore apart.

Current decks
Comments or suggestions are always welcome

Modern
nothing at the moment

Well, there is this Handsome Brute. He's Man plus Black. Edit: Wait, Black? My eyes may deceive me! Well, I know he ain't no honky!

I think that there is a thing or several to be said for representation and diversity. Really, this is more about the artists than any other thing. Artists tend to artistisize from the objects and individuals that surround them like the walls of a house or the air that you and I need to survive. Our lungs expanding and contracting like fleshy balloons that float off into the atmosphere before deflating in the despair of the vastness of the universe.

I would conjure words like: "Racist is probably not the right term." It maybe gets thrown around all too much, a proverbial game of keep-away that lasts to a point beyond cruelty - a point which becomes scarring, and causes one to hold onto one's preffered objects oh-so-tightly and one mustn't let another one touch those objects ever - not your keys, or your books, or even. . . your heart.

Its just a touchy subject, when really it'd be such a nice thizzle for society as a whole to get over it. Like, remember when Markus Rosseanicus Waters said that Liliannizzle was Arabic? Bad scene - that. He didn't even consult with the Creativity Corps. And some people got fairly upset. Really, poor taste - like tap ramen, or PBR, or 7-11 taquitos. Anyway, that's all the pennies I got to toss into the fountain of your forumous judgement.

Peace.

P.S. PBRFTW?
Honestly though, I'm most offended by the incredibly offensively low representation of Dinosaurs.

Indeed        
is  (in at least two ways) the set's token black person.  This wouldn't even have caught my eye had there been even a couple of non-pasty faces featured prominently in any other cards.  It's 2013, and I don't think WotC gets the concept of "institutional disenfranchisement."

Apart from the whole issue of "That word, you keep using it...", why are you singling out WotC on this in particular? The tone of your post makes it sound as though everyone else "gets it" and is pushing against 'disenfranchisement' while WotC's some sort of dino-ostrich lagging woefully behind, stuck with its head in the sand, but that's far from true. In some ways they're pushing against certain types of 'disenfranchisement' harder than many other forms of media.

Asking WotC to keep racial diversity in mind and push for better representation of non-white characters in card art is all well and good and a perfectly fine thing to do, but calling them out in this manner seems unreasonable.

Come join me at No Goblins Allowed

Because frankly, being here depresses me these days.

Actually this post is way over the line. Comparing what has been said to Nazism not only is uneducated but incredibly insulting, if this had been used against something I said, I would report it.

bulletd Guidelines: 5.0: I will take this card no matter what. Creature 1 or playable 1 or hate 1.Archangel of Thune 4.5: Bomb and splashable. Creature 1-2, playable 1-2, removal 1. Jace, Memory Adept 4.0: Excellent first pick first pack, will sway me into same colors. Creatures 1-4, removal 1. Haunted Plate Mail 3.5: Excellent first pack pick two, will confirm colors or possibly sway into second color. Doom Blade 3.0: Good in-color addition, or splashable removal/creature. Creatures 3-9, removal 1-3. wall of Frost 2.5: Solid pick in-color; creatures 5-12, removal 3-5. Dark Favor 2.0: Creatures 10-16; removal 6-7. Elvish Mystic 1.5: My 23rd or 22nd card, depending on removal. Act of Treason 1.0: 23rd card if I don't maindeck an additional land. Lay of the Land 0.5: This card will sometimes be sideboarded in. Brave the Elements 0.0: I will shred this card for counters. Darksteel Forge
"Due to complaints received about this thread, I've closed it. The thread will be reviewed to determine if it should be permanently closed, re-opened, and/or a new thread or threads created in it’s place."