Monk weapon proficiencies

So the monk weapon proficiencies as of the 1/28/13 playtest packet are as follows:
Club, dagger, handaxe, light crossbow, longspear, quarterstaff, sling, spear.

Some of these are fine to me (e.g. quarterstaff), but do some of the others seem weird? Why the light crossbow, which isn't actually a traditional monk weapon in real life, but not something like a shortbow? Why a handaxe?

Also, why bother using a club if the monk unarmed strike does more bludgeoning damage?

Btw, in checking with other threads, I know others have suggested it'd be great if we can get other monk weapons in, e.g. nunchaku, shuriken. 
They're proficient with the club because it's such a simple weapon that nobody who has any idea of how to fight could possibly not know how to use it.

I think they should get bows instead of crossbows, though. Monks did train with bows, crossbows have always been more of a military weapon. A monk specialized in archery could be excellent.

They probably have the handaxe because there's no kama yet and they needed to get a slashing weapon of some kind.
You could allow Monks to choose a chosen a weapon instead of Unarmed for their special abilities, if the damage is normally less than D6 it becomes a D6.

so a bow Monk would use bow for Undaunted Strike and their Ki Powers.

this would work well with Path of Mercy and Path of Four Storms.

Key things for D&D - Where is the character from and why do they do what they do? / Recurring NPCs - allies and enemies / Plot, World and Personal Events.

A club is a 1handed light weapon that can be used quite effectively with some feats as unarmed is not considered light weapons.

Ive made a drunken master monk that used a heavy ceramic bottle as a club. As a reaction i halved incomming damage. 
They should definitely revise it so unarmed counts as a light weapon. Riposte and Deflect are exactly the kinds of a things a Monk would do while unarmed.
I dont know. There is quite a lot of presidence in hong kong movies of monks using weapons.... and there is not really any incentive right now to do so. With undaunted strike there is not even the damage type to consider. So unless some of the above mentioned effects to encourage weapon usage is implemented I wouldnt be in a hurry to make unarmed even more of a no brainer.
Flurry of blows and ki powers could be applicable with weapons. It just makes no sense for unarmed to not be a light weapon. It's lighter than literally anything you could be wielding, except a large enough helium baloon.
Flurry of blows and ki powers could be applicable with weapons. It just makes no sense for unarmed to not be a light weapon. It's lighter than literally anything you could be wielding, except a large enough helium baloon.

because light implies it is easy to move around while holding. you are not moving your arm/fist in a seperate swing, nor can you redirect the momentum away as a lever. and trust me, arms are not light, they may be about 1/5th of your weight.
Wouldnt a club then be 1/5 body weight+weight of club? 
 Just googled arm weight out of curiousity, seems to be 5-6% per arm so a total of about 1/10 of body weight.
Wouldnt a club then be 1/5 body weight+weight of club? 
 Just googled arm weight out of curiousity, seems to be 5-6% per arm so a total of about 1/10 of body weight.

no, because when wielding a weapon and swingiong it functions as a lever, when using to parry or maneuver it also functions as a lever, so the weight you are moving is the weight of teh club. where as to use your arm for this funciton, you would need to lever it through your shoulder thus the weight of your arm is implemented.
nor can you redirect the momentum away as a lever. and trust me, arms are not light, they may be about 1/5th of your weight.

Yeah you can, there are entire martial arts styles devoted to doing just that. And every person who can move is completely adjusted to the weight of their own arms, a martial artist's own limbs can be moved much faster than a weapon.

Sign In to post comments