It Always Feels like Somebody's Watching Me: Uril, the Miststalker

8 posts / 0 new
Last post
It's that time again! First let me give you a little background information...

I've been playing Magic since 1998. I likely first heard of EDH around 1999. I actually remember 2-3 of the fellas at the shop talking about it. I had thought about playing then because I had traded for a copy of Arcades Sabbath. Due to the casual nature of this format, and the fact that most of my friends were pretty well into competitive play, I decided not to go through with it.

Fast forward nearly 10 years. December '08/January '09: I lost my job and gained alot of free time. I learned the basics of playing EDH. I mostly netdecked a version of Rafiq, of the Many. After the first couple games I realized that it wasn't the greatest and began making my own adjustments to it. 1v1 the deck lost only a handful of times. Then I looked towards a legend that I absolutely loved playing with when it first came out. Braids, Cabal Minion. She proved to be the easiest deck I've ever made. I never netdecked for this, but due to my previous knowledge of playing her in an extended tournament it was a breeze. Then things got a bit tricky. I got a job, and had much less time to play again, and my favorite general got banned.(Rightfully so!)

So what's going on with me now? Ever since the Commander Precons came out I've been back in the swing of things. I actually bought all 5 decks so that I could get my friends in on it. So after awhile when we decided what legends were all liked I decided to play Edric, Spymaster of Trest. It went through alot of variations, but it's incredibly consistent and falls into a category of "too powerful". Most games either end with folks scooping up to my Winter Orb/Rising Waters or becoming 3-6 against me. While I don't feel too bad winning when it's 3 or more against 1, I do find it boring to always be the social pariah of the group. Next I tried to put together my old Kresh, the Bloodbraided deck. I had originally designed it for 1v1 play. It never did alot in multiplayer but I don't feel like there was alot I could do to change it. I've given up on this deck for the time being. Next I played Trostani, Selesnya's Voice. They're certainly cool, but there's about a 50% chance of just sitting there not doing anything for most of the game, and it seems like I never packed enough answers or just folded too easily to mass removal. So I've been looking for a new general to play with. I like decks that are fairly resilient but not unbeatable.

So I've chosen to play Uril, the Miststalker. Why? Because I've wanted to make a proper voltron deck and I've wanted to make a proper enchantress deck. In addition to that I wanted to play some land destruction to deal with some of the insane ramp strategies that exist in my playgroup. So here it goes, Please give me some feedback. Thanks!

General-1
Uril, the Miststalker

Creatures-15
Sakura-Tribe Elder
Qasali Pridemage
Gaea's Herald
Argothian Enchantress
Vexing Shusher
Eternal Witness
Yavimaya Elder
Silverblade Paladin
Solemn Simulacrum
Academy Rector
Acidic Slime
Wolfir Silverheart
Sun Titan
Aurelia, the Warleader
Woodfall Primus

Planeswalkers-2
Ajani, Caller of the Pride
Garruk Wildspeaker

Artifacts-6
Sol Ring
Talisman of Impulse
Talisman of Unity
Chromatic Lantern
Darksteel Ingot
Coalition Relic

Auras-10
Rancor
Spirit Mantle
Squee's Embrace
Unquestioned Authority
Shield of the Oversoul
Snake Umbra
Holy Mantle
Flickerform
Angelic Destiny
Runes of the Deus

Enchantments-6
Land Tax
Sylvan Library
Sterling Grove
Enchantress's Presence
Prison Term
Parallax Wave

Instants/Sorceries-22
Enlightened Tutor
Worldly Tutor
Regrowth
Swords to Plowshares
Krosan Grip
Boros Charm
Life from the Loam
Starstorm
Cultivate
Kodama's Reach
Naya Charm
Harmonize
Wrath of God
Armageddon
Retether
Cataclysm
Winds of Rath
Soul's Majesty
Three Dreams
Savage Beating
Wildfire
Razia's Purification

Lands-38
Command Tower
Savannah
Taiga
Plateau
Temple Garden
Stomping Ground
Sacred Foundry
Windswept Heath
Wooded Foothills
Arid Mesa
Verdant Catacombs
Scalding Tarn
Misty Rainforest
Marsh Flats
Flooded Strand
Bloodstained Mire
Yavimaya Hollow
Sunhome, Fortress of the Legion
Shinka, the Bloodsoaked Keep
Okina, Temple to the Grandfathers
Flagstones of Trokair
6 Forest
6 Plains
5 Mountains
Sidenote: I plan on foiling out all the creature auras and Uril.
Winds of rath! Oh snap! I completely forgot about that card.

Razias purification seems dastardly .... I like it.

3DH4LIF3

Truth be told that's one of the cards I'd like to foil out also...but I like the idea of making all the auras and the general match.
Divine Reckoning seems like it would be quite a good card one you get Uril, the Miststalker up there.  Also I'd recommend a darksteel plate just becasue indestrucible it always nice.  

Edit:  Also Bear umbra could do wonders in this deck.  Canopy Cover was one of my favorite  It is my favorite Aura and has totem armor.  Also you seem to be lackign another win con besides  Uril, the Miststalker.    I would recommend tossinng in either infect or another beatstick.   Viridian Corrupter  could work for this and so could Thrun, the Last Troll.  
could use the other enchantress for more draw

Mesa Enchantress
Verduran Enchantress
Femeref Enchantress

Artifacts-6
Sol Ring
Talisman of Impulse
Talisman of Unity
Chromatic Lantern
Darksteel Ingot
Coalition Relic

What the bejeezus? You're playing green! no mana rocks! (well except maybe sol ring). The artifacts are worse than cards like farseek and kodama's reach...

But in this deck, you're playing enchantress. So use aura-based-ramp.
utopia sprawl
wild growth
fertile ground
trace of abundance
khalni heart expedition
overgrowth
mirari's wake
mana reflection 
The reason I play mana rocks is because of the 4 mass land destruction spells I'm playing. I could possibly be persuaded to play Khalni Heart Expedition or Mirari's Wake though.

Also I exchanged what was originally Sylvan Primordial for Woodfall Primus. Better against removal, my own and my opponents'.
Sign In to post comments