Protection basics

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
Hi guys,
i have some issues to go through :

Can zealous conscripts' ability be prevented by faith's shield on it's target? Will zealous conscripts' ability trigger even if it was removed before the it triggers?
Zealous Conscripts' ability targets
protection stops targetting

so that works

it will still trigger, if there are no legal targets it will simply be removed from the stack
if there is a legal target at the point of triggering but that target is no longer legal when it tries to resolve it will be countered on resolution
proud member of the 2011 community team
Will zealous conscripts' ability trigger even if it was removed before the it triggers?

Errr... What do you mean exactly?

It's not Logic, it's Magic!

I meant, if Zealous Conscripts cease to exist before it's ability triggers, will the ability be countered?
I meant, if Zealous Conscripts cease to exist before it's ability triggers, will the ability be countered?

You mean, say, if you were enchanted by 3 Curse of Death's Hold? The ability triggers anyway because the Conscripts did enter the battlefield, no matter for how long. The source of the ability is the Conscripts as it (very briefly) was on the battlefield. The game uses last known information about it to know things such as its color. Protection from red will stop it.
Magic The Gathering DCI Lvl 1 Judge Don't hesitate to post rules question in the Rules Q&A forum for me and other competent advisors to answer : http://community.wizards.com/go/forum/view/75842/134778/Rules_Q38A
Zealous Conscripts goes on this journey to Enter the Battlefield (when its ability triggers):

Your hand ---> The Stack ---> The Battlefield

If it is countered on the stack (by Cancel, for example), then it goes to the graveyard instead of the Battlefield and thus never enters the battlefield.

If Conscripts makes it through the stack, then it Enters the Battlefield and its ability triggers.  That ability will go on the stack.  Abilities exist independent of their sources, so even if the Conscripts are immediately killed by a Lightning Bolt, that ability will still be on the stack and will resolve appropriately (barring any Stifle issues).