Keyword: Worship

29 posts / 0 new
Last post
Worship- Whenever a creature with 3 or more power enters the battlefield under your control, you may exile this permanent encoded on that creature.

Candlelight Priest    1W
Vigilance, Worship
Encoded creature gets +1/+1 and gains vigilance.
1/1

Evil Templar   3BB
First strike, Worship
Whenever encoded creature damages a player, that player loses half of his or her life total, rounded up.
2/2

Bonds of Worship   2W
Worship
Enchanted creature can't attack or block.   
Encoded creature gets +2/+2.  

Passion of the Martyrs    3R
Worship
1, Sacrifice a creature: Passion of the Martyr does 1 damage to target player.  
Encoded creature has: "1, Sacrifice this creature: This creature does damage equal to its power to target player."  

Great Temple
Worship    
Encoded creature gets +1/+1. 
T: Add 1 to your mana pool.

I like the idea here but why does it only work with creatures of power 3 or greater? This should work on any creature. Is it because it would be unflavourful for these cards to "worship" a creature with only two power? I can see where you're going with that but I don't think it's worth the awkward mechanical limitation. If anything, you should be asking yourself if you want to expand it to work on noncreatures too* instead of limiting it.

The name could use some work too. If it ties into your set's theme then sure, go with it, but otherwise I'd rename it Support or Backup or something.

Most of the cards are pretty cool but two strike me as a little odd- Evil Templar and Bonds of Worship.
If the worship bonus doesn't match the effects of the the original permanent that grants it, then most of the time it should resemble it in some way.
Evil Templar costs enough that you could probably just put the ability he grants to other guys onto him too.
Bonds of Worship does two completely unrelated things. It would be more grokable if an enchantment that gave a stat bonus when it was encoded gave a similar (or even opposite) bonus to the creature it enchanted. If you want a pacifism effect that can be encoded onto something then it should do someting like pacifism-like to the encoded creature. Maybe it gains vigilance, which is sort of, kinda the opposite of pacifism. Or maybe it gives the encoded creture the ability to pacify an enemy creature by tapping.

*Worth looking into, but it's probably better to just keep it restricted to creatures.
Do you mind if I use this mechanic for a set I'm workng on? It would be perfect there.
I could see the worship sorta like Jund, worshipping the others strength or power. At that flavor I could see it being a creature with power greater than this creatures. Sort of a "You're more powerful than I am, I will grant you my strength."
This guy dunno. What about the cults that worship dead babies or like the bovine persuasion and its recognition. I actually feel giddy with ecstasy considering the possibility of your worshipers worshiping things like Stinkweed Imp - I mean why the Wendel not? Good piece of pie, SI is. I think you're making it too brickhard for me to develop me Catcult. Why? Anyway, of course, this is also sorta like that haunt - and actually especially more similar if you remove the +3 condition, but I'm tellin' ya like it is. You will handle the truth. Just same with trigger of the sacrificial nature. Oh, and you can't use the word Encoded, because Sifter, right? But it is cool, for it does not reflect the Worship flavour anyway, my brother. I want to make an As-Seen-On-TV Product called ABsolver. Yeah, I'll be stackin' that green like I was a professional Green-Stacker in the least time possible for such things to occizzle.
Use a word other than Encode. There's no need to use Dimir terminology here, and it's not very flavorful. I'm actually not quite sure I understand the flavor as-is. Why does worshiping something exile it? Why does it have to be something physically stronger, and not, say, a Beloved Chaplain, who seems pretty, well, beloved despite being a 1/1?
Coming Soon to the Magic: Expanded Multiverse: FRAGMENTS: A Shards of Alara Anthology
(Click through to view the cover and announcement page)Want to get your work in the Expanded Multiverse? Come join the project! Oh, and check out my blog, Storming the Ivory Tower: making sense of academia, media, and culture twice weekly.
This guy dunno. What about the cults that worship dead babies or like the bovine persuasion and its recognition. I actually feel giddy with ecstasy considering the possibility of your worshipers worshiping things like Stinkweed Imp - I mean why the Wendel not? Good piece of pie, SI is. I think you're making it too brickhard for me to develop me Catcult. Why? Anyway, of course, this is also sorta like that haunt - and actually especially more similar if you remove the +3 condition, but I'm tellin' ya like it is. You will handle the truth. Just same with trigger of the sacrificial nature. Oh, and you can't use the word Encoded, because Sifter, right? But it is cool, for it does not reflect the Worship flavour anyway, my brother. I want to make an As-Seen-On-TV Product called ABsolver. Yeah, I'll be stackin' that green like I was a professional Green-Stacker in the least time possible for such things to occizzle.

never change
Worship- Whenever a creature with 3 or more power enters the battlefield under your control,
  you may exile this, and add the encoded text on that creature.

?
Is there a way to make this work without exiling the card but also not having it remain on the battlefield as it's own thing. Some sort of enchantmenty thing as opposed to haunt/cipher and soulbond?
Is there a way to make this work without exiling the card but also not having it remain on the battlefield as it's own thing. Some sort of enchantmenty thing as opposed to haunt/cipher and soulbond?

totally

120.6. Some effects replace card draws.

why are you here when NGA exists and is just better

put the encoded power at the bottom of the card
the card can than be placed under the card it is encoding
with the emdcoded addition left showing .
I thought it would be cool to use the "encoded" terminology instead of create something new and probably much more complicated- creatures becoming enchantments, enchantments becoming auras- but I suppose it's actually very flavourful to show a priest becoming a piece of magic. 

"Before thinking outside the box, first check what's in the box and see if it's really necessary"- Maro. Is there a reason encoding can't work?

You're correct that the 3 power value was chosen to show that it is only big, divine creatures being worshipped. It's just weird to have  a bunch of templars and priests worshipping a Little Girl. Also, priests worshipping eachother is also a bit unorthodox. 

The name would obviously change depending on the setting. Currently, I'm posting potential mechanics for a wedge block. This fits into W/B/R and I kinda need the word Worship to make it fit the flavour.

TPManW: Anyone can use this mechanic.       

Also, isn't "high-power" less a white thing than other colors?
139359831 wrote:
Clever deduction Watson! Maybe you can explain why Supergirl is trying to kill me.
---- Autocard is your friend. Lightning Bolt = Lightning Bolt

They had it in Naya when 5 power was a thing. I think all colours can have "power matters" when needed.
Bonds of Worship does two completely unrelated things. It would be more grokable if an enchantment that gave a stat bonus when it was encoded gave a similar (or even opposite) bonus to the creature it enchanted. If you want a pacifism effect that can be encoded onto something then it should do someting like pacifism-like to the encoded creature. Maybe it gains vigilance, which is sort of, kinda the opposite of pacifism. Or maybe it gives the encoded creture the ability to pacify an enemy creature by tapping.

It was supposed to be an homage to Bonds of Faith from the Innistrad block. I know it's a bit of a stretch.
I thought it would be cool to use the "encoded" terminology instead of create something new and probably much more complicated- creatures becoming enchantments, enchantments becoming auras- but I suppose it's actually very flavourful to show a priest becoming a piece of magic. 

"Before thinking outside the box, first check what's in the box and see if it's really necessary"- Maro. Is there a reason encoding can't work?

You're correct that the 3 power value was chosen to show that it is only big, divine creatures being worshipped. It's just weird to have  a bunch of templars and priests worshipping a Little Girl. Also, priests worshipping eachother is also a bit unorthodox. 

The name would obviously change depending on the setting. Currently, I'm posting potential mechanics for a wedge block. This fits into W/B/R and I kinda need the word Worship to make it fit the flavour.

The reason encoding can't work is that it's a bad choice of word in this context. Encode works for the Dimir because it's such a Dimir word. It brings to mind ideas of cryptography, spies, secrets, and skullduggery. You do not want these connotations for this ability.

All you have to do is come up with a better word and put it in the place of "encoded." That's it. It's a simple change with significant semiotic benefits, so there's really no good reason not to do it.

And the power thing is just bad. Get rid of it. The two times you should add complexity like that are for strict gameplay or rules reasons (the game will break without the added text) or extremely heightened flavor reasons. The very fact that you've already been given a number of weak creatures in human history that have received worship should indicate to you that this is actually a flavor downside rather than an upside. You are essentially creating a Wurms Wearing Boots problem where none exists, while in the process giving players one more number to think about.

Plus, three is a weird number to begin with. Why is three the cutoff for holy stuff? Does it really make more sense to worship a Trained Armodon than an Angelic Page? If you're really doing big, holy stuff, shouldn't it be somewhere around 5 or 6 power?

Also, Naya does not support your case, it contradicts it. High power was a Naya thing because Naya was most influenced by Green mana. It showed up in some white cards there, sure, but it wasn't primarily a white thing. 
Coming Soon to the Magic: Expanded Multiverse: FRAGMENTS: A Shards of Alara Anthology
(Click through to view the cover and announcement page)Want to get your work in the Expanded Multiverse? Come join the project! Oh, and check out my blog, Storming the Ivory Tower: making sense of academia, media, and culture twice weekly.

The reason encoding can't work is that it's a bad choice of word in this context. Encode works for the Dimir because it's such a Dimir word. It brings to mind ideas of cryptography, spies, secrets, and skullduggery. You do not want these connotations for this ability.

All you have to do is come up with a better word and put it in the place of "encoded." That's it. It's a simple change with significant semiotic benefits, so there's really no good reason not to do it.

And the power thing is just bad. Get rid of it. The two times you should add complexity like that are for strict gameplay or rules reasons (the game will break without the added text) or extremely heightened flavor reasons. The very fact that you've already been given a number of weak creatures in human history that have received worship should indicate to you that this is actually a flavor downside rather than an upside. You are essentially creating a Wurms Wearing Boots problem where none exists, while in the process giving players one more number to think about.

Plus, three is a weird number to begin with. Why is three the cutoff for holy stuff? Does it really make more sense to worship a Trained Armodon than an Angelic Page? If you're really doing big, holy stuff, shouldn't it be somewhere around 5 or 6 power?

Also, Naya does not support your case, it contradicts it. High power was a Naya thing because Naya was most influenced by Green mana. It showed up in some white cards there, sure, but it wasn't primarily a white thing. 

"Exile this permanent encoded on that creature"

"Exile this permanent worshipping that creature"

Surely these two can't coexist?    
Why couldn't they coexist? Cipher and Haunt exist together, even though their shared headspace is just as close as the shared headspace between Cipher and Worship.
Why couldn't they coexist? Cipher and Haunt exist together, even though their shared headspace is just as close as the shared headspace between Cipher and Worship.

Ah. Excellent point. I never fully made the connection between Cipher and Haunt. You win!
HA HA HA VICTORY!

Ahem.

Any thoughts on what replacement terminology you're going to use? The interesting thing about Cypher is that it created a precedent for ability words and tagging words that are different (unlike Haunt or Imprint). So you could, if you wished, use Worship as the keyword alongside a word that would expand on the flavor. 
HA HA HA VICTORY!

Ahem.

Any thoughts on what replacement terminology you're going to use? The interesting thing about Cypher is that it created a precedent for ability words and tagging words that are different (unlike Haunt or Imprint). So you could, if you wished, use Worship as the keyword alongside a word that would expand on the flavor. 

That's a good point. Imprint imprinted things, and haunt haunted things, but cypher encoded things. i supose in the case of worship you could chose to use the word worship or something else, entirely, so long as that word fits the flavour.
I think Cypher did it that way because "Cyphered onto target creature" sounds like the dumbest possible combination of words.

HA HA HA VICTORY!

Ahem.

I'm afraid worshipping is the best I've got.

Worship- Whenever another creature enters the battlefield, you may exile this permanent worshipping that creature.

I could remove the worship moniker altogether, like one poster suggested:

Backup- Whenever another creature enters the battlefield, you may exile this permanent supporting that creature.

The only problem is that Backup doesn't steer the flavour away from Soulbond the way Worship does.

Anyone got any bright ideas?

They had it in Naya when 5 power was a thing. I think all colours can have "power matters" when needed.

And blue gets lots of +1/+1 counters normally, I'm sure.
139359831 wrote:
Clever deduction Watson! Maybe you can explain why Supergirl is trying to kill me.
---- Autocard is your friend. Lightning Bolt = Lightning Bolt

And blue gets lots of +1/+1 counters normally, I'm sure.

Just as blue doesn't have a lot of +1/+1 counters, white doesn't have a lot of power matters. However, just as blue was allowed to have evolve, I argued that white could have the old version of worship.

What are you hoping to gain from your sarcasm? I removed power matters from the mechanic. It seems like you just saw an opportunity for a pointless, snarky comment and went for it.

Not all criticism is useful or welcome. Without pointing at anyone or anything in particular, I'm just going to advise you put more importance on the critiques of some posters than others.
Not all criticism is useful or welcome. Without pointing at anyone or anything in particular, I'm just going to advise you put more importance on the critiques of some posters than others.

I always put the most importance on your advice, TPManW. Don't worry about that.

Anyway, I think we're done here. If anyone wants to put this mechanic in a set, they're absolutely welcome to it. (I recall someone asking, but I don't remember who it was)

I always put the most importance on your advice, TPManW. Don't worry about that.

Anyway, I think we're done here. If anyone wants to put this mechanic in a set, they're absolutely welcome to it. (I recall someone asking, but I don't remember who it was)

Aww, thanks.Embarassed
It was me. This is going to be an awesome fit for a legendary matters block.
What are you hoping to gain from your sarcasm? I removed power matters from the mechanic. It seems like you just saw an opportunity for a pointless, snarky comment and went for it.

sounds like bay.