Another "Getting into Modern Thread"

8 posts / 0 new
Last post
I've been playing Standard for about a year now and I love playing competitively but the card pool is starting to feel limiting and a little stale; thus I'd like to get into Modern (it's cheaper than Legacy right?). I'm a pretty good trader so I think I could trade my way in though 90% of my collection is Standard so that will be a factor. Besides that, what are some decent yet cheap decks to make? I know it's kind of an oxymoron but I have to start somewhere; I can't just jump into Jund. My only initial input is I think Zoo looks really fun to play, though I heard it's not doing too well right now without Wild Nacatl. The only deck I really don't want to play is RDW between it being mono-colored and over all looks boring to pilot.

Thanks
Here's a (not as recent) Top 8 list for Modern.  That should give you some idea of what you're working with.  Now's a good time to get into Modern since the Shock-lands are just about everywhere and with Modern Masters comming out soonish.

@mikemearls The office is basically empty this week, which opens up all sorts of possibilities for low shenanigans

@mikemearls In essence, all those arguments I lost are being unlost. Won, if you will. We're doing it MY way, baby.

@biotech66 aren't you the boss anyway? isn't "DO IT OR I FIRE YOU!" still an option?

@mikemearls I think Perkins would throat punch me if I ever tried that. And I'd give him a glowing quarterly review for it.

Hahaha alright so I just looked at thoses decks and some "Zoo" lists and they ranged from 1 to 2 thousand dollars xD Modern isn't super popular at any of my LCS so it there a cheap "break in" deck I could lean towards? Like in Standard it's always RDW

Have you considered a Ravager/Affinity-style deck?  I think you can put one of those together for under $200 if you have some of the more recent cards like Mox Opal on hand already.

@mikemearls The office is basically empty this week, which opens up all sorts of possibilities for low shenanigans

@mikemearls In essence, all those arguments I lost are being unlost. Won, if you will. We're doing it MY way, baby.

@biotech66 aren't you the boss anyway? isn't "DO IT OR I FIRE YOU!" still an option?

@mikemearls I think Perkins would throat punch me if I ever tried that. And I'd give him a glowing quarterly review for it.

Mono-red aggro is pretty cheap, I think. Something like this:

4 Blood Moon
4 Ensnaring Bridge
4 Magus of the Blood Moon
4 Lightning Bolt
4 Simian Spirit Guide
4 Lava Spike
4 Bump in the Night
4 Rift Bolt
4 Lash Out
4 Scalding Tarn
4 Arid Mesa
4 Blood Crypt
8 Mountain 
2 Swamp

Or something like that. The idea is to lock down opposing aggression by going into top-deck mode as soon as possible with Ensnaring Bridge in play, and Blood Moon wrecks most mana bases. I know there was one at like a GP or something recently that did well with this design, but I can't remember.

(at)MrEnglish22

I think the biggest obstacle for Modern is really the Fetch Lands and stuff like Tarmogoyf (him especially, but few other ABSURDLY expensive cards). But really, just playing without would go a long way towards fixing the money issues and it only really hurts consistency. Does it make certain lists "strictly" worse? I guess so. Goyf is the best 2 drops, but there are plenty of other good ones. And Fetch Lands just help a mana base. If that was already pretty smooth, then no real harm? Just my thoughts, really, not having played Modern at all.  
Getting into modern........

I play me a nice mono-green stompy sort of deck (I die to fliers, and indestructibility, or anything that prevents you from dying in combat, but hey, other creatures have no chance VS a range of stuff from Dungrove Elder, Vorapede, Thragtusk if you can afford him, Primeval Titan, Wurmcoil Engine is especially great for the deck.) And so I can abuse the lands from prime titan, I run Primal Surge (the deck is all permanents, making it a nice surprise) and The Giant Floating Jellyfish of Doom........ with haste..........

I found the deck kind of affordable, and (after 1 game) a reasonable matchup against the most popularly played modern deck, Jund.

The mana base isn't expensive at all, just your choice of Forests, Sapseep Forest, and an Eye of Ugin to tutor your Wurmcoils and Floating Jellyfish.
Decks I run
Show
I currently run a deck for Standard, Modern, Commander and Legacy. For standard, I have a typical, horribly budget Rakdos Deck Wins. For Modern, I have a B/G/U/W Draw-go Reanimator featuring my favorite creature, Wurmcoil Engine. For Legacy, I'm trying too hard to break Pyromancer Ascension. I also run a Naya Zoo with all the oldies. For Commander/EDH, I'm running The Mimeoplasm. A little morals thing about me, I like winning through combos, but not infinitely. However quiet, I am a Christian, so feel free to tell me you are too, it's always a relief.
How to be saved?
Show
Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ and you shall be saved and your house. Book of Acts 16:31
Cheers!
I'd decided to go with a Restore Balance combo deck but decided against it. I'm currently leaning towards a UW (but really U) Tron deck. Counter spells, Urza lands, Treasure Mage, and some bomby Artifacts like Wurmcoil and Sundering Titan. Doesn't use any fetches or massive staples so cheap (cheaper than my Standard deck too). Top 8ed on the MTGO Modern Premier so should be decent.