Auras on keyrunes.

13 posts / 0 new
Last post
Ok so someone from my LGS is trying to tell me that creature auras stay on keyrunes after they stop being a creature. I'm pretty positive he's wrong, so I'm looking for the actual ruling so I can quote it to him, but I can't seem to find it. Can anyone help me out?
Ok so someone from my LGS is trying to tell me that creature auras stay on keyrunes after they stop being a creature. I'm pretty positive he's wrong, so I'm looking for the actual ruling so I can quote it to him, but I can't seem to find it. Can anyone help me out?

If an aura is enchanting something it can't enchant, then the aura goes to the graveyard.

So, "enchant creature" will fall off a non-creature.  But, "enchant artifact" or "enchant permanent" will stay on.
Rule 303.4c:

If an Aura is enchanting an illegal object or player as defined by its enchant ability and other
applicable effects, the object it was attached to no longer exists, or the player it was attached to
has left the game, the Aura is put into its owner’s graveyard.
You are correct. An aura with "enchant creature" cannot be attached to a non-creature, if it is state based actions will send it to the graveyard.

I'll edit the rules in shortly.
MTG Rules Advisor
They are incorrect. Something like Rancor can only be attached to a creature. If the permanent it's attached to stops being a creature, then the aura will go to the graveyard.

303.4c If an Aura is enchanting an illegal object or player as defined by its enchant ability and other applicable effects, the object it was attached to no longer exists, or the player it was attached to has left the game, the Aura is put into its owner's graveyard. (This is a state-based action. See rule 704.)

Wizards.Com Boards Net Rep

DCI Level 2 Judge

Questions don't have to make sense, but answers do.

An aura that's attached to an object or player it cannot legally enchant is put into the graveyard as a state based action. So once the keyrune becomes a non-creature again, any attached aura that cannot enchant it in non-creature form is put into its owner's graveyard.
Thank you all for commenting, and you LolaBonne and Natedogg for the actual ruling
Is it the same when i use cipher on a keyrune or a land, that is temporarily a creature?
Is it the same when i use cipher on a keyrune or a land, that is temporarily a creature?

No, Cipher doesnt "fall off".

~ Tim   

I am Blue/White Reached DCI Rating 1800 on 28/10/11. :D
Sig
56287226 wrote:
190106923 wrote:
Not bad. But what happens flavor wise when one kamahl kills the other one?
Zis iz a sign uf deep psychological troma, buried in zer subconscious mind. By keelink himzelf, Kamahl iz physically expressink hiz feelinks uf self-disgust ova hiz desire for hiz muzzer. [/GermanPsychologistVoice]
56957928 wrote:
57799958 wrote:
That makes no sense to me. If they spelled the ability out on the card in full then it would not be allowed in a mono-black Commander deck, but because they used a keyword to save space it is allowed? ~ Tim
Yup, just like you can have Birds of paradise in a mono green deck but not Noble Hierarch. YAY COLOR IDENTITY
56287226 wrote:
56888618 wrote:
Is algebra really that difficult?
Survey says yes.
56883218 wrote:
57799958 wrote:
You want to make a milky drink. You squeeze a cow.
I love this description. Like the cows are sponges filled with milk. I can see it all Nick Parks claymation-style with the cow's eyes bugging out momentarily as a giant farmer squeezes it like a squeaky dog toy, and milk shoots out of it.
56287226 wrote:
56735468 wrote:
And no judge will ever give you a game loss for playing snow covered lands.
I now have a new goal in life. ;)
Cipher only cares about the object being a creature when it's encoded.  After it's encoded, there are no checks regarding the object still being a creature.
Cipher only cares about the object being a creature when it's encoded.  After it's encoded, there are no checks regarding the object still being a creature.

The same is true for +1/+1 and -1/-1 counters, and the haunt ability.

[<o>]
And also for equipments?
Equipment can only be attached to creatures. If an equipment finds itself attached to an object that's not a creature, it becomes unattached as a state based action.