Simply Simic

61 posts / 0 new
Last post
I played Simic in the pre-release and I really liked how my creatures were able to outgrow many of my opponents' creatures. So I decided to build the deck up and hopefully make it a nice aggressive deck. 
Creatures: 24
Cloudfin Raptor x4
Zameck Guildmage x4
Elusive Krasis x4
Master Biomancer x4
Young Wolf x4
Strangleroot Geist x4

Instants:12
Simic Charm x4
Spell Rupture x4
Rapid Hybridization x4
Bioshift x2

Land: 24
Breeding Pool x4
Hinterland Harbor x4
Forest x9
Island x7

The idea behind the deck is obviously to get my creatures to evolve and grow as quickly as possible. Cloudfin Raptor is a nice card to kick off the game. Young Wolf was orginally Experiment One but his undying ability proved to be more useful than the regeneration of Experiment One. Zameck Guildmage is there as an excess mana dump and a secondary source of counters, as well as draw power if needed. Elusive Krasis unblockable and high toughness have helped both with evolving and for blocking some Gruul creatures. Strangleroot Geist was orginally Shambleshark but again the undying and haste outweighed the Flash and Evolve effects. Finally Master Biomancer seemed like a no brainer with his ablity to pump everything up. As for the spells Simic Charm with its +3/+3 has again helped with Gruul, and the hexproof has helped with rival counter spells, and the last ability is there to save a creature in case of Terminus or any other board wipe spells. Spell Rupture in the early game is okay but once the creatures are big enough it has helped a lot in dealing with things that can clear my board or kill my creature. Rapid Hyridization I like but the only downside is my opponent gets a 3/3 which if I am not ready yet, can hurt. Finally Bioshift is there to move counters from one of my evolve creatures to Master Biomancer or again as a surprise against a Gruul charged creature . The lands are prettey self-explainatory, however I am thinking of adding maybe Alchemist's Refuge as another mana dump, and a nice way to evolve on my opponent's turn and to attack on mine later on. 
   Well that is all. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Oh and one last thing, please no suggesting Thragtusk. I have become angered by the constant appearance of Thragtusk in every FNM deck. I want this deck to be original and effective. 

I'd say cut the young wolf and strangleroot geist, they don't have evolve and are in prime evolve drop zone. Undying effect also gets shutdown if there's any counters on them so biomancer kills that.

id say maybe deadbridge Goliath and primordial hydra in there place. 5/5 for 4 with scavenge and the hydra would give you stromid late game drops.

Id also say +2 bioshift and -2 rapid hybridization, just seems like the token play could help more. put 2 on the sb with some unsummon effects IMO.
I'd say cut the young wolf and strangleroot geist, they don't have evolve and are in prime evolve drop zone. Undying effect also gets shutdown if there's any counters on them so biomancer kills that.

id say maybe deadbridge Goliath and primordial hydra in there place. 5/5 for 4 with scavenge and the hydra would give you stromid late game drops.

Id also say +2 bioshift and -2 rapid hybridization, just seems like the token play could help more. put 2 on the sb with some unsummon effects IMO.

Hmmm, I see what you are saying with the undying counters being canceled out with Master Biomancer however Bioshift can counter that. By bringing out the undying creatures and than using Bioshift on them I am able to boost my Master Biomancer even more. In addition to this, in playtesting, when I get a bad draw and I have tons of mana to use up I use Zameck Guildmage second ablity to ditch one of the counters, which 1) allows me to draw an extra card and quite possibility a better one, and 2) allows me to remove counters from my undying creature to let them come back. So I do like the idea of Deadbridge Goliath however the undying creatures have more use to them.
     As for Primordial Hydra what should I remove it for it? I have two of them and probably would run just the two. They are a good late game creature and with a Bioshift charged Master Biomancer or two Primordial Hydra can be very big and he would also assure my evolve creatures would evolve. 
     Finally the Rapid Hybridization for two more Bioshift makes a lot of sense, seeing as the deck seems to abuse Bioshift and that it is a key element to the deck.
     Thank you for the advice, and the help, 00Brak, I do appreciate it. 

P.S (oh and Zameck Guildmage is not going anywhere in case anyone decides to add to the answers. In playtesting I was able to use his first ablilty four times to bring a very big Master Biomancer

I didn't think about the guildmage pulling counters, nice trick there. I'd say pull 1 Geist and a wolf, I would say a krasis but the 4 toughness seems to needed for evolve.

i suggested the deadbridge just as something else to activate evolve since right now you cap with a 4 (-biomancer Ofc). The hydra should help, he is a giant threat in my deck but I'm running g/b/u for corpsejack and better sideboard options.

have you given any though to your sb yet? 
I didn't think about the guildmage pulling counters, nice trick there. I'd say pull 1 Geist and a wolf, I would say a krasis but the 4 toughness seems to needed for evolve.

i suggested the deadbridge just as something else to activate evolve since right now you cap with a 4 (-biomancer Ofc). The hydra should help, he is a giant threat in my deck but I'm running g/b/u for corpsejack and better sideboard options.

have you given any though to your sb yet? 

I was originally running a G/U/B deck for Corpsejack Menace as well, but in playtesting I would wind up drawing him and having to wait to draw the black for him, while I could have been beefing the board. However with that being said, when he was out the counters were just piling up. 
     As for Zameck Guildmage the combo is awesome, especially if the undying came into play with counters from Master Biomancer and I could draw at least three cards. So for your deck I would suggest giving it a try. 
     Next, the dropping down to three of both Young Wolf and Strangleroot Geist seems like a good idea.  
     As for my sideboard I have not given it any thought, so suggestions there would be wonderful.  
I was trying to do a BUG listing slightly like this earlier but found something more fun that I liked in the colors. Corpsejack is completely doable if you have the proper mana base. What (unfortunately) is not doable however is Geralf's messanger. If there was a way to get him in the list it would be beyond amazing. One trick that I loved in simic (besides the undying creatures with the guildmage, which is just incredible against most things in the format) is if a geist or something would get pillared, you rapid hybrid it in response, getting a 3/3 for one mana. Not terrible in an aggro list. Also, I like a split between young wolf and expriment 1 in the slot. I think that 2 Wolves should be pulled for 2 expirment 1 (and see how you feel about that split). Then pull 1 master biomancer, both Bioshifts, and 1 island for 4 copies of rancor.

Also, another card to look into would be ranger's guile. That card is amazing for protecting things like geist from pillar of flame and the like, as well as pumping through more damage while countering instant speed removal. The guildmages are pretty fragile and an extremely important function in the deck.

Lastly burst of strength is not to be overlooked in this deck. As an insane example: You have a rancored geist and a guildmage on the field. They swing with a hellrider and stuff. You have three untapped mana. You play burst of strength on the geist, untapping it, then pay 2 more mana to remove the counter. Block the hellrider, the geist comes back (rancor is returned to your hand), hellride dies, and you get a fresh card for 3 mana. Just something to think about as well. 
When I was going black I also had some undying evil because it comboed so well with the guildmage.

Oh, and if you want something for your 5 drop slot instead of thragtusk, vorapede plays very well here ;)

Actually, with just the BG listing this deck might be good enough to take a friday night magic near me. I need to acquire some ranger's guile xD
I was trying to do a BUG listing slightly like this earlier but found something more fun that I liked in the colors. Corpsejack is completely doable if you have the proper mana base. What (unfortunately) is not doable however is Geralf's messanger. If there was a way to get him in the list it would be beyond amazing. One trick that I loved in simic (besides the undying creatures with the guildmage, which is just incredible against most things in the format) is if a geist or something would get pillared, you rapid hybrid it in response, getting a 3/3 for one mana. Not terrible in an aggro list. Also, I like a split between young wolf and expriment 1 in the slot. I think that 2 Wolves should be pulled for 2 expirment 1 (and see how you feel about that split). Then pull 1 master biomancer, both Bioshifts, and 1 island for 4 copies of rancor.

Also, another card to look into would be ranger's guile. That card is amazing for protecting things like geist from pillar of flame and the like, as well as pumping through more damage while countering instant speed removal. The guildmages are pretty fragile and an extremely important function in the deck.

I have to disagree about rancor and experiment, the biomancer and bioshift are also very key here. Experiment one is also not a card I found to be very practical after testing him out in my g/b/u deck.

i do like rangers guile a lot though, but I don't see it as worth the slots main deck here. He also has the spell rupture in they can function enough for game 1 protection IMO.

as for the sideboard..... I don't know your local meta so its hard to say for sure, but some to think about.
unsummon, pit fight, naturalize, prey upon, counter spells (dissipate, dispel, etc), artful dodge, any kind of graveyard hate are just the things I'd say to look into that come into mind so far.

my deck dosnt work so well with the guildmage, I have 0 undying in the deck. I splashed in scavenge instead for some more fun with counters. I have no issues getting my black sources with my land setup, still need replace a couple of proxy one's once I get it finalized.

also sorry for being lazy and not using [c][*/c] but its a major pain from the iPad lol.

EDIT: vorapede could be a good choice here as well, not sure i value him over primordial hydra though. 

I have to disagree about rancor and experiment, the biomancer and bioshift are also very key here. Experiment one is also not a card I found to be very practical after testing him out in my g/b/u deck.

i do like rangers guile a lot though, but I don't see it as worth the slots main deck here. He also has the spell rupture in they can function enough for game 1 protection IMO.

as for the sideboard..... I don't know your local meta so its hard to say for sure, but some to think about.
unsummon, pit fight, naturalize, prey upon, counter spells (dissipate, dispel, etc), artful dodge, any kind of graveyard hate are just the things I'd say to look into that come into mind so far.

my deck dosnt work so well with the guildmage, I have 0 undying in the deck. I splashed in scavenge instead for some more fun with counters. I have no issues getting my black sources with my land setup, still need replace a couple of proxy one's once I get it finalized.

also sorry for being lazy and not using [c][*/c] but its a major pain from the iPad lol.

EDIT: vorapede could be a good choice here as well, not sure i value him over primordial hydra though. 

Sleeky, the suggestions you made, but 00Brak has it right. Experiment One has no true value, I mean he could be great in a Gruul deck, which one of my friend's is trying, but for Simic he lacks that...umph. As for ditching Bioshift,Master Biomancer and land  for Rancor is just a no. Bioshift is just to key for this deck, and the combo with the undying is wonderful. Burst of Strength is a good idea, but there are better options. As for Ranger's Guile I like it, I might make the Simic Charm to three and add in a copy. The boost is nice and so is the hexproof, and it is one less than the charm. Finally Vorapede hmm, I like the idea. It might be worth the sideboard. 

Finally 00Brak the metagame in my area seems to be any deck that uses Thragtusk, mostly Naya decks, so the counter spells are defintely an option. Also for you deck have you considered the one drop Gruul creature. I forget its name and I am too lazy to look it up, but is G for 1/2 it has deathtouch and Bloodrush G-target creature gets +1/+2 and deathtouch till the end of turn.  
Don't drop a charm for rangers guile, charm can do hexproof or boost, better at each as well. Might be a sb option vs removal heavy decks.

hmmm thragtusk is such a pain.... Some essence scatter on the sb could help vs them or there restro angel buddy's lol. if your in a thragtusk heavy meta then def don't wanna run unsummon. Really the best way to deal with them is to counter them, sadly cavern of souls can put a hurt on that idea. As well as holding back the mana for it slows you down. Pit fight or prey upon can also help deal with him later on in the match, could also bait a restro angel drop.

I also hate to say it but, deadbridge Goliath can trump thragtusk being a 5/5. I mean if your really seeing that many of them, and there using cavern of souls, perhaps running a couple sideboard Could be an answer to them. I know im stuck on this card but I have found him to be of great value thus far lol.

i also have 8-1 drops already in my deck already.  the deck is based all on playing around with counters. ill be posting it on here once I get a little more testing in with it. im happy with it so far and it's taking tempo to a hole new level lol.
The deck seems much better as an aggro (pseudo aggro-control) deck with staying power than trying to branch it into the mid-range area. Ex 1 is stronger against things such as pillar (which is common in my meta) and rancor is just a very strong card in green when running this many one and two drops. Biomancer would be much stronger when it wasn't your top end and there was more counter production through any number of means on a single source. Bioshift in this deck basically moves one counter 90% of the time which really isn't worth a card (let alone two include biomancer itself for the settup). So for 2 cards and 5 mana you have a 2/4 or whatever it is with things coming into play with 2 plus 1 counters after that. You're better off playing rancor beforehand because you get the same power increase, with less cards, and it has redundancy and safe-guard because you get the rancor back in most situations if a creature dies. Mathematically this version is just strictly better so you're better off just playing vorapede in the spot anyways because you get the nice synergy with the guildmage, and undying with it to safeguard removal to an extent. I'll post what I'm planning on running related to this minus relatively same mana base.

4x(1) - Cloudfin Raptor
4x(1) - Young Wolf
4x(2) - Strangleroot Geist
4x(2) - Zameck Guildmage
3x(3) - Elusive Krasis
2x(5) - Vorapede

3x(1) - Ranger's Guile
4x(1) - Rancor
2x(1) - Rapid Hybridization
3x(2) - Simic Charm
4x(2) - Spell Rupture

PS, vorapede w/rancor is an answer to thragtusk. So is dungeon geists in SB.
I like where your going with it a lot more. Let me know how it goes, I think an undying abusing deck sounds pretty fun lol.
I like where your going with it a lot more. Let me know how it goes, I think an undying abusing deck sounds pretty fun lol.

Planning on running that or the tempo BUG listing next week. Just want to see how each playtests a bit more for the meta.
Have you considered maybe finding a spot for [C]Hunger of the Howlpack[/C]?

I had a friend of mine take a look at it in school today and here is what he gave me. 
(I am not doing the c cause of time.)
Land:23
Forestx5
Islandx10
Hinterland Harborx4
Breeding Poolx4

Stranglerootx4
Cloudfin Raptorx4
Master Biomancerx3
Zameck Guildmagex4
Young Wolfx3
Primordial Hydra or Vorapedex3
Elusive Krasisx3

Spells:13
Rapid Hybridizationx3 (he said combo with an undying.)
Bioshiftx3
Spell Rupturex3
Simic Charmx4

I have yet to playtest this yet. However my friend goes to the same place I do for FNM, and the deck should be nice for the game there.
Sideboard, I plan on putting in Essence Scatter and when the time comes swapping it for Rapid Hybridization. So I have three cards so far, 12 more for the sideboard.

Also Aquacode, Hunger of the Howlpack is a nice idea, but ealier on Sleeky suggested Burst of Strength, which is simialr to Howlpack, so please see the answer I gave on that for the answer to Howlpack. However, thanks for the input.  
Forestx5
Islandx10
Hinterland Harborx4
Breeding Poolx4

Stranglerootx4
Cloudfin Raptorx4
Master Biomancerx3
Zameck Guildmagex4
Young Wolfx3
Elusive Krasisx3

Bioshiftx3
Spell Rupturex3
Simic Charmx4  

Are you sure you don't have the Island and Forest counts backwards?  Strangleroot Geist and Vorapede want the mana base to be a bit greener.  
Forestx5
Islandx10
Hinterland Harborx4
Breeding Poolx4

Stranglerootx4
Cloudfin Raptorx4
Master Biomancerx3
Zameck Guildmagex4
Young Wolfx3
Elusive Krasisx3

Bioshiftx3
Spell Rupturex3
Simic Charmx4  

Are you sure you don't have the Island and Forest counts backwards?  Strangleroot Geist and Vorapede want the mana base to be a bit greener.  

Yeah I did. It was actually suppose to be 9xForest and 6xIsland. Like I said, I was in a rush. Thanks for pointing that out. 

Idk about anyone else, but I'm a pretty big fan of [C]Simic Manipulator[/C]. A lot of people will probably find a better 3 drop then him, but he seems like a good creature to throw into your deck or sideboard right now. Especially when your running cards like [C]Zameck Guildmage[/C] and [C]Master Biomancer[/C] in your deck.
Idk about anyone else, but I'm a pretty big fan of [C]Simic Manipulator[/C]. A lot of people will probably find a better 3 drop then him, but he seems like a good creature to throw into your deck or sideboard right now. Especially when your running cards like [C]Zameck Guildmage[/C] and [C]Master Biomancer[/C] in your deck.

Yeah, I want to mess with manipulator. I actually opened Simic Manipulator and Agoraphobia when I played simic both times in prerelease. That is a FUN combo. I want to make a deck around that one week as well. Throw in corpsejack and biomancer and you have a bit of a brew going. Hybridization and actually (for sure this time) burst of strength AND howlpack would probably be in the deck. And lots of counter/protection. Who wants to tap down a tusk with dungeon geists for 4 mana when you can just steal it yourself for 3
Rofl yea I think simic manipulator really opens the door to a theft deck. Always beat someone with there own cards.

as for your deck list, it looks super solid. Maybe think about rangers guile , unsummon , there's a green card for 1g that let's you return a creature to you hand that could be helpful. I always say anti planeswalker things and graveyard hate are nice, couple good artifacts that I can't remember the names of that could be helpfull. (sorry been awake to long) 
was talking with a friend earlier. Have you considered using Talrand, Sky Summoner with Master Biomancer? Those would be some big Drakes coming in whenever an instant or Sorcery was played.
was talking with a friend earlier. Have you considered using Talrand, Sky Summoner with Master Biomancer? Those would be some big Drakes coming in whenever an instant or Sorcery was played.

Nice idea, but most Simic stomp decks have a lot of creatures and only 4-10 non-creature spells. So at best, Talrand, Sky Summoner will trigger, on average, 1 out of 6 times, or so.

Now, if you changed your creatures to things like Miming Slime and Slime Molding and Cackling Counterparts, then you may have a case.

Nice idea, but most Simic stomp decks have a lot of creatures and only 4-10 non-creature spells. So at best, Talrand, Sky Summoner will trigger, on average, 1 out of 6 times, or so.

Now, if you changed your creatures to things like Miming Slime and Slime Molding and Cackling Counterparts, then you may have a case.

[C]Talrand, Sky Summoner[/C], [C]Miming Slime[/C],  [C]Slime Molding[/C], and [C]Master Biomancer[/C]... I feel a new deck idea coming together in my head. Just need to throw in some Populate. haha
[C]Talrand, Sky Summoner[/C], [C]Miming Slime[/C],  [C]Slime Molding[/C], and [C]Master Biomancer[/C]... I feel a new deck idea coming together in my head. Just need to throw in some Populate. haha

Druid's Deliverance to populate, Burst of Strenght to proc Talrand and pumping Master Biomance is a start. Unexpected Result to keep casting a sorcery each turn while gaining lands.  Unsummon and Fog to proc Talrand multiple times.

Rofl yea I think simic manipulator really opens the door to a theft deck. Always beat someone with there own cards.

as for your deck list, it looks super solid. Maybe think about rangers guile , unsummon , there's a green card for 1g that let's you return a creature to you hand that could be helpful. I always say anti planeswalker things and graveyard hate are nice, couple good artifacts that I can't remember the names of that could be helpfull. (sorry been awake to long) 

The Simic Manipulator does sound like a cool deck to play eventually. 
Anyway, the new revised deck looks good? Cause if so that is awesome.
Now onto the hard part, sideboard.
I am thinking
Essence Scatter x3
Groundseal x2
Dissapatex2

So  far that is all I can think of. 
I think rangers guile would be nice to help in case you run into a deck with heavy removal.

mabye Dispel in case you run into a control / pass go deck since your not running cavern of souls.

prey upon or pit fight to give you a removal option incase there holding back some guildmages or other problematic creatures.

so far that's about all that's coming to mind that could be helpful. Really though the sideboard should have counters to your biggest weakness and/ or what you expect to face in your local meta. I can't really think of any glaring weakness your deck has, I'll try throwing it together tomorrow and giving it some play testing to see if I can spot one. As for your local meta you are gonna have to figure out what's common there. 
So everyone agrees ranger's guile <3 I don't think essence scatter is a great choice personally. I think hard-counters are strictly better. Also I know for a fact that the aggro version is the better matchup but that says little outside of that. Been playtesting online a bit however. May get some hard games in on thursday between classes. This week is moving so slow.
For some reason my browser is freezing each time I edit the above post (but only that post O.o) so I suppose I'll just add here. I like dispel vs control. I also like fathom mage in combination with master biomancer =]
I liked fathom Mage at first, but i have cut down to 2 in bug counter deck. I'm even tempted to pull both of them even though I can pump counters like a mad man. 4 for a 2/2 that has a draw effect is ok, but I don't see it fitting into this deck well tbh.

if I'm not mistaken the essence scatter is there as anti-thragtusk. the meta is kinda full of nasty creatures as well, so I kinda vote its a solid pick for sb.

I am also a major fan of rangers guile, it's an amazing "oh no you don't" creature saving spell that doubles as a minor pump. Might just be pushing due to the fact I've been playing really creature light decks for a long time now. 
I liked fathom Mage at first, but i have cut down to 2 in bug counter deck. I'm even tempted to pull both of them even though I can pump counters like a mad man. 4 for a 2/2 that has a draw effect is ok, but I don't see it fitting into this deck well tbh.

if I'm not mistaken the essence scatter is there as anti-thragtusk. the meta is kinda full of nasty creatures as well, so I kinda vote its a solid pick for sb.

I am also a major fan of rangers guile, it's an amazing "oh no you don't" creature saving spell that doubles as a minor pump. Might just be pushing due to the fact I've been playing really creature light decks for a long time now. 

Yeah, I think the deck has the exact wrong amount on the biomancer. I honestly believe biomancer belongs in a bug deck and doesn't do as well in a strait BG deck. I may be wrong though. We'll see what time tells. And I'm also a major fan of ranger's guile. I was using Faith's Shield for the longest time for the exact same thing without the minor buff. And I don't really agree with essence scatter because cavern of souls is played frequently around me. Makes countering a tusk pretty unreliabe. This is why I like hard counters better and I was suggesting creature answer to it earlier.
I agree on the cavern part, but it is on the sideboard not main deck. on the plus side I've only seen one person set cavern to boars and he was playing a silly boar deck at fnm lol.

i think biomancer has a place in lots of decks, but he is a less powerful outside a bug deck. I can see him doing ok here, but I won't know for sure until I've done mo testing. Got the deck together but testing will have to wait till I get up lol. 
I agree on the cavern part, but it is on the sideboard not main deck. on the plus side I've only seen one person set cavern to boars and he was playing a silly boar deck at fnm lol.

i think biomancer has a place in lots of decks, but he is a less powerful outside a bug deck. I can see him doing ok here, but I won't know for sure until I've done mo testing. Got the deck together but testing will have to wait till I get up lol. 

I can definitely see biomancer and fantom mage being a thing. I'd like to incorperate Corpsejack as well but I think he would have been better as a 3/3 for 3. Either way it would still be really fun to play turn 3, 4, 5 Corpsejack, Biomancer with protection mana up (or add counters), Fathom Mage. Sure, I'll draw at least 4. Possibly add the guildmage into that whole thing.

I can definitely see biomancer and fantom mage being a thing. I'd like to incorperate Corpsejack as well but I think he would have been better as a 3/3 for 3. Either way it would still be really fun to play turn 3, 4, 5 Corpsejack, Biomancer with protection mana up (or add counters), Fathom Mage. Sure, I'll draw at least 4. Possibly add the guildmage into that whole thing.

Im actually doing a bug counter deck that uses corpsejack and biomancer as staples. Mixing evolve with scavenge is working out super as well, so many counters its crazy. My biggest issue is biomancer and corpsejack both fill my 4 slot. I also like corpsejack being a 4/4 for evolve, takes the threat level threw the roof once he drops. he also signals the point when evolve goes to the back burner and other tricks come into play.

I honestly expect to see bug counter decks to not only show up at ptq's, but to place well. Has decent early game making aggro less of a threat, And scales well into mid game. If it last until late game ( can turn 5 k.o with some luck) it's not hard to have 10/10's or bigger pounding away.
Im actually doing a bug counter deck that uses corpsejack and biomancer as staples. Mixing evolve with scavenge is working out super as well, so many counters its crazy. My biggest issue is biomancer and corpsejack both fill my 4 slot. I also like corpsejack being a 4/4 for evolve, takes the threat level threw the roof once he drops. he also signals the point when evolve goes to the back burner and other tricks come into play.

I honestly expect to see bug counter decks to not only show up at ptq's, but to place well. Has decent early game making aggro less of a threat, And scales well into mid game. If it last until late game ( can turn 5 k.o with some luck) it's not hard to have 10/10's or bigger pounding away.

Yeah, I'm for sure running bug stuff. I do like both of the 4 drops, but I agree with the fact that they take up the same slot. I think they have some potential as the core, but finding the right ones right now is much trickier than the build for many other decks for me. Also golgari charm is going to be a must in board I feel because verdict just REALLY ruins the day. I'm planning on doing a lot of expirementing. Mind if I PM you a BUG list for your input?

Yeah, I'm for sure running bug stuff. I do like both of the 4 drops, but I agree with the fact that they take up the same slot. I think they have some potential as the core, but finding the right ones right now is much trickier than the build for many other decks for me. Also golgari charm is going to be a must in board I feel because verdict just REALLY ruins the day. I'm planning on doing a lot of expirementing. Mind if I PM you a BUG list for your input?

Pm me your list any time, I'll pm you mine once I'm finished with my testwouldn't have it moving smooth now just checking card numbers and making sure I'm not over looking cards for it.
Fun stuff. Can't wait. This is the version with 4 drops?
Hi all,

I have a significantly different list and was debating whether to post here of make a new thread but I figured it couldnt hurt to start here.

Some notes: other than rancor, everything in this deck makes creatures. Thats a lot of threats, although a bit light on removal. Undying+fight+rapid hybrid has a lot of synergy. predator ooze with rancor is a scary sight, and also fights like a champ and provides counters for guildmage and helps give the deck some more game vs supreme verdict. Also note you can hybrid the ooze for a 3/3 flash as needed. With biomancer out things get a bit crazy. Suddenly rapid hybrid will give multiple 5/5's or better when used on undying guys without counters. Rancor buffs biomancer power and helps the agressive angle. garruk helps find your 1-ofs that top your curve for late game staying power, and is a house vs control. All your blue creatures are wizards, so you have a lot of uncounterability vs control. biomancer + zegana is a lot of cards. 

I havent built a side yet, but so far this deck is a blast to play, and all the creatures are solid. 
Hi all,

I have a significantly different list and was debating whether to post here of make a new thread but I figured it couldnt hurt to start here.

Some notes: other than rancor, everything in this deck makes creatures. Thats a lot of threats, although a bit light on removal. Undying+fight+rapid hybrid has a lot of synergy. predator ooze with rancor is a scary sight, and also fights like a champ and provides counters for guildmage and helps give the deck some more game vs supreme verdict. Also note you can hybrid the ooze for a 3/3 flash as needed. With biomancer out things get a bit crazy. Suddenly rapid hybrid will give multiple 5/5's or better when used on undying guys without counters. Rancor buffs biomancer power and helps the agressive angle. garruk helps find your 1-ofs that top your curve for late game staying power, and is a house vs control. All your blue creatures are wizards, so you have a lot of uncounterability vs control. biomancer + zegana is a lot of cards. 

I havent built a side yet, but so far this deck is a blast to play, and all the creatures are solid. 

I don't think you want Cavern here.  It prevents you from playing Predator Ooze on turn 3.  If you drop the Caverns, you may want to try a few Simic Guildgates so you can cast your blue spells while still playing Ooze on time.  Ooze seems like one of the most important cards here.

This list has some cool interactions though, reminds me a little of Brian Kibler's G/B Aggro deck.

EDIT:  Speaking of Kibler, you may actually want some Wolfir Avenger's in here.

Forestx5 (10)
Islandx10 (5)
Hinterland Harborx4
Breeding Poolx4

Stranglerootx4
Cloudfin Raptorx4
Master Biomancerx3
Zameck Guildmagex4
Young Wolfx3
Elusive Krasisx3

Bioshiftx3
Spell Rupturex3
Simic Charmx4

well i have been testing the deck out and have to admit, it's been a joy to play When its ticking. However I've noticed some things that bug me a little and stop it from having consitant games. I'll just point out the problem's I have noticed and see how you fill about them (or if you are having them as we'll) before suggesting changes. Right now I'm only pulling about 20-30% win rate with it as is, but when it wins its often by a large margin.

ok one thing that regularly turns into a thorn in my side is the evolve mechanic, its just not been common to get them over 2 counters Until late game. It's not a major issue, and there helpful early game. Elusive krasis however is on my naughty list for failing to live up to expectation most of the time. Without biomancer in play and already being boss the krasis just fills more like a weak invisiable stalker. 

Bioshift and master biomancer both fill a little clunky here for some reason. It's very hard to get extra counters on the biomancer to make him worth while. Bioshift has its uses and some cluch plays, however there's never a stack of counters to move around.

So really I'm stuck at a point where the deck fills more like it has something splashed in that's fighting the core of the deck. I honestly think you should focus more on ether the evolve mechanic, +1/+1 counters, or the nifty undying tricks. You can mix them but its going to be a complex balancing act and I honestly think a bit more focus would improve the performance.

On cavern vs guildgate: As much as I dislike guildgates they may be a necessary evil here. I was writing back to disagree with you but I double checked my list and found you were right. I often name other creature types but then that mana is effectively dead. Luckily, a bunch of the high drops are exactly the ones that use colorless, but I will try -2 cavern + guildgate and see how it goes. Avenger is a good card to keep in mind although GTC increased the card quality significantly, I worry he is just too weak now.