design your own advanced rules modual

design your own advanced rules modual.
a tread for people to post their ideas for advanced rules moduals.

this should also incluse a small section on how the rule might influence balance of the gime ( if at all) and what might be pitfalls a Dm using the modual might want to look out for.

bleeding wounds modual:

this modual draws the line between Hp as fatigue and actual wounds more clearly.
when you drop under 1/2 maximum HP you are considerd wounded and bleeding.
When you start your turn under 1/2  maximum HP you take damage equal to 10% of your maximum hit points with a minimum of 1. 

balance:
the balance impact is minimum as it efects both monsters and player but see DM pitfalls.

DM pitfalls
this condition might not aply to certain creatures like many undead and constructs.
so you might want to use a sligtly lower number of these creatures then recomended for one encounter.
or award the players extra Xp if you do use the normal number during a encounter.
this to counter act that creatures not effected by this condition are tougher to kill.

The 2 advanced modules that are most important to me are the design your own race module and the design your own class module.

The race module would have a more complex option of physiology, culture, and environment along with option for hybrids and bloodlines.  There would also be options for scaling racial bonuses up and down so that race could absorb feats, levels, or class abilties.  There would also be a race as a class option.

The class module would include rules for hybrid classes, building new classes with a point buy system, rules for exchanging abilities or mechanics between classes, and additional substitute powers for current classes.

These modules would provide the benefit of customization.

They would bring the risk of imbalance.
 I would like to see some Dungeon Master modules. Whenever more options/power is given to a group of players it makes combat for them so much more dull because they can out-smash encounters 10 levels out of their reach.

DMing is not easy for new DMs, so instead of bombarding them with 800 rules, keep a basic system that will give non moduled players a good experience.

Then add Modules:
If players use skills, add a trap/social/survival/etc module to the DM
If players use feats or other combat enhancing mechanics, add tougher monsters with more AC/HP/powers/spells/classes
If players use alignment systems/reactions/other RP tools, add a section of rules for the DM to reward and handle these

So basically remember that the more fun stuff you give the players, the less fun it becomes for them facing off with a basic goblin.

Other than that I hope for a Vancian Magic module that gives spell casters the option of using the current Spell caster classes. And instead add some much more basic spell classes that uses a non-resource based mechanic, as MM has stated that refreshing MDD on anything but a turn basis is far too advanced, the current spell caster is not really an option for basic.
* Bodymass points for monsters. If creature have got high bodymass value (for example dinosaur or dragon) it has got better resistance to poisons and other somatic effects.

* More abilities scores. For example because I wish mixture D&D with other rpg.

How could we avoid abuse by munchkins players?

We get the classic six ones, and after we get the second minilist with the other abilities scores, what are determinated by same way but separated...(a ability from second list can be replace by other of the fist one). 

The secondary abilities scores could be karma, courage, astuteness and techniques (= like Dex, but for slow actions like crafting or art, or memorized movements like dance or martial art keys). 

* Madness/insanity system with different parameters: stress(violence), reality (unnatural), ego (self-confidence and self-criticism, proud and fear), helpessness/hopelessness, social interaction.   

"Say me what you're showing off for, and I'll say you what you lack!" (Spanish saying)

Book 13 Anaclet 23 Confucius said: "The Superior Man is in harmony but does not follow the crowd. The inferior man follows the crowd, but is not in harmony"

"In a country well governed, poverty is something to be ashamed of. In a country badly governed, wealth is something to be ashamed of." - Confucius 

A few ideas I've played around with (mostly being bent towards horror:

Disease progressions (partially inspired by 4e's take):  How fast does infection/spreading occur?  How quickly do symptoms manifest and is it lethal?  How hard is it to treat?  This could be a good method of capturing someone infected with say a zombie plague, vampirism, or lycanthropy...  perhaps.

Corruption/Depravity a la Heroes of Horror (note how I'm not using the original name)/Mutation/Body Horror:  Similar to the last one, being exposed to horrible things warps your body and mind.  This evil can be from dark magic, a cursed place, or tainted monsters.  Each time you become more distorted by this darkness, your character becomes more insane and/or disfigured.  Eventually, these forces are too much for them, either killing them outright or making them become monstrous.

Law of Clarke's Third:  Make it easy to create a technological substitute or equivalent of a magical property.  Perhaps make a magical version of technological (Ray of Lasers?)  Though, this would require a seperate module for technology and rules that follow with it as well...  Perhaps bundled in a Blackmoor or Barrier Peaks style adventure?

Crazed undead horror posing as a noble and heroic forum poster!

Some good pointers for the fellow hobbyist!:

• KEEP D&D ALIVE, END EDITION WARS!
  • RESPECT PEOPLES' PREFERENCES
  • JUST ENJOY THE GAME!
id like a module for the old saving thow/poison mechanic as they added challenge to even high level play i would also like the return of comeliness as a seperate stat from charisma so leadership and command ability are seperate from physical appearance
alternative out of combat healing.

this modual created out of combat healing more like 4th edition.
instead of the healing hitdice the character has 4 haling surges that represent 25% of the characters hitpoints.
these can be spend in the same situations as where you could spend healing hitdice.

impact minimal healing hit dice healong and 4 surges per day both heal the character for 100% of maximum hitpoints thoung for hitdice healing this is a avarage. 
I think a module for advanced weapon rules would be neat, giving each weapon special properties beyond damage based on its actual use in combat. For example: flails can ignore an enemy's shield bonus, swords grant +1 to AC against an enemy also wielding a sword, spears can take attacks of opportunity against creatures entering their threatened zone without a shield, critical hits with a mace also stun the target for one round, critical hits with an axe also cause bleed damage. It would be fun for military-focused campaigns or just for Fighters in general.
i would love to see a module about weapon vs armor type and also weapon speed included as giving caster spells a casting makes no sense if weapons arent modified in a similar way
Class modification.

You can gain certain abilities of a different class without either fully taking a level in that class or having to design a completely new class; the intent is to allow individuality without completely shattering core archetypes.  This is probably more attractive to old-school players, but anyone is encouraged to use it.

You cannot choose a class ability that is level-dependant and any necessary tools must be supplied in accordance with the rules governing an ability's use (for instance, you aren't going to be picking locks without your tools).  Typical choices might be: a wizard wants to use a sword as an implement, or a thief wants to be proficient in all weapons, or a fighter wants a single granted 'gift from the gods' (a particular orison or 1st level clerical spell).

A 5% permanent xp penalty is applied for each additionally gained ability.  No more than 25% penalty can be gained.

(Source Origin: 'Zero-Level Characters' in the Greyhawk Supplement, 1st Edition.  Not a complete and literal translation, but inspired from there.)

"Lightning...it flashes bright, then fades away.  It can't protect, it can only destroy."

Would Defenses instead of saves still be considered a valid advanced module? I'd like to think so.

Defenses:

Fortitude = (Str score + Con Score)/2
Reflex = (Dex score + Wis Score)/2
Will = (Int score + Cha Score)/2

Spell vs Defense resolution:

• "Bolt"-like spells that are single target (or several single-targets, like magic missile), the caster targets AC as per standard rules.

• Area of effect* (non-cloud) physical spells, the caster rolls an attack against Reflex for everyone in the area. Cover provides a defensive bonus if the cover is between the origin and the target.

• Area of effect (cloud) physical spells, the caster rolls an attack against Fortitude for everyone in the area. Cover does not provide any defensive bonus.

• Mind-affecting spells target Will.

• A natural 20 always "hits". Use the critical hit rules to determine any additional effects (such as additional damage).

*The attacker gets an additional +1 attack bonus for every 5' the target must move in order to leave the area of effect. On a miss, the target moves out of the area of effect, and loses the same amount of movement. The bonus does not include additional movement costs such as difficult terrain, but the movement spend by the defender does. If the defender does not have enough movement to leave the area of effect, the attack automatically hits. Cover can reduce the damage taken by the amount of cover provided.

Magic Dual Color Test
I am White/Green
I am White/Green
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
I am both orderly and instinctive. I value community and group identity, defining myself by the social group I am a part of. At best, I'm selfless and strong-willed; at worst, I'm unoriginal and sheepish.
Already half-assedly in progress:
community.wizards.com/classlessdnd
Replacing spell slots per day for wizards:

No limit to spells cast per day
Magic is a "skill" that increases with level
Each spell a set DC to cast, failure means spell fizzles
wizards can "take 10" when out of combat, or with spells they are very familiar with
implements grant bonus to specific school (or all of them with major items)
specializing in a school lowers DCs for your school, raises for all other slightly 
Long rituals lower DC, multiple participants add their results.
sacrifices of some sort also lowers DC (draw your own blood, kill a goat on an altar, that sort of thing)
using "metamagics" simply raises DC
Roling a natural 1 means a backlash of some sort, DM's call
roling a 20 means spell is maximized or other cool effect.
Try radiance RPG. A complete D20 game that supports fantasy and steampunk. Download the FREE PDF here: http://www.radiancerpg.com
A dynamic dueling module with elements from various fighting games such as ounters, counterattacks, misdirection, risky offenses, and attack prediction.

Orzel, Halfelven son of Zel, Mystic Ranger, Bane to Dragons, Death to Undeath, Killer of Abyssals, King of the Wilds. Constitution Based Class for Next!

Stamina: (To replace HD healing)

All PCs have 3+Con mod maximum Stamina. During a short a PC can spend one or more points of stamina to regain HP equal to 25% of their maximum HP for each point of stamina spent. All spent stamina recovers after an extended rest.

Heroic Fantasy Options:
1) Hour Long Rest: PCs can take an hour long rest. During a hour long rest PCs gain all the benefits of a short rest and regain asingle point of stamina.
2) Second Wind: During a battle a PC may spend an action and one point of stamina to regain HP equal to 25% of their Max HP. After using a second wind a PC must take a short rest before being able to use it again.
3) Heroic Effort: A PC can spend a point of stamina to reroll any d20 roll or take an extra action during their turn. After using heroic effort a PC must take a short rest before being able to use it again. You cannot use heroic effort and second wind within 5 minutes of one another.

Gritty Fantasy Options:
1) Wounds: Any critical hit against you or anytime damage brings you below 1 HP you suffer a wound. Each wound affecting you reduces your maximum stamina by 1. When your maximum stamina is reduced to below 0, you die.

Wounds recover slowly on their own. After each extended rest you may make a DC 10 Constitution Check (with advantage if aided by a successful DC15 heal check). On a success you heal a single wound. On a result of 15+ you heal two wounds, and on a result of 20+ you heal three. Wounds can also be cured through magical healing.
Proposed this previously, but here it is again.
A Skill Point (or Rank) system.
At 1st level, pick a background and take those 4 skills at rank 1, or pick 4 skills to be at rank 1 and an appropriate background trait. No in addition to that, if you have a positive Int modifier you gain that in extra ranks in other skills you can pick, (i.e. Int 14 is a +2 would grant 2 more skill ranks), but no penalty for a low Intelligence. Making minimum Skills at first 4. Now at every other level you gain 2 extra skill ranks to increase what you currently have or to gain new skills, (which start at rank 1). Still keep the maximum amount of ranks at +7 for bounded accuracy and I would have that 7th rank cost two skill ranks to reach. That would be to indicate a dedication to being the best of the best of the best with that skill. 
Now in addition to that, if there was an overlap of background skills and class skills or Specialty skills that would provide a free bump in rank to that skill. For example, one of the Rogue players in my game got Stealth from Guild Thief, Stealth from the Assassin Scheme and from the Hide in Shadows feat of the Skulker specialty. This would give her a Stealth +3 from the start of the game. Character resources were spent to achieve this so I see no problem there.
As far as with Skill Mastery, I think a simple "If you have the Skill Mastery ability you gain advantage on rolls with those skills." Now with Skill Tricks, its very simple, you sacrifice your advantage to perform the Skill Trick. You can't use advantage on skill checks while maintaining the Skill Trick, due to your concentration on maintaining the Skill Trick.
Stamina: (To replace HD healing)

All PCs have 3+Con mod maximum Stamina. During a short a PC can spend one or more points of stamina to regain HP equal to 25% of their maximum HP for each point of stamina spent. All spent stamina recovers after an extended rest.

Heroic Fantasy Options:
1) Hour Long Rest: PCs can take an hour long rest. During a hour long rest PCs gain all the benefits of a short rest and regain asingle point of stamina.
2) Second Wind: During a battle a PC may spend an action and one point of stamina to regain HP equal to 25% of their Max HP. After using a second wind a PC must take a short rest before being able to use it again.
3) Heroic Effort: A PC can spend a point of stamina to reroll any d20 roll or take an extra action during their turn. After using heroic effort a PC must take a short rest before being able to use it again. You cannot use heroic effort and second wind within 5 minutes of one another.

Gritty Fantasy Options:
1) Wounds: Any critical hit against you or anytime damage brings you below 1 HP you suffer a wound. Each wound affecting you reduces your maximum stamina by 1. When your maximum stamina is reduced to below 0, you die.

Wounds recover slowly on their own. After each extended rest you may make a DC 10 Constitution Check (with advantage if aided by a successful DC15 heal check). On a success you heal a single wound. On a result of 15+ you heal two wounds, and on a result of 20+ you heal three. Wounds can also be cured through magical healing.

Lawolf,
I really like what you've got here.  It is very similar to how I modified healing surges in 4e, but is simplier and fits the Next vibe a lot better.  I think I would use something like this if it is not included in the advanced options.

Thank you for sharing.   
At 1st level, pick a background and take those 4 skills at rank 1, or pick 4 skills to be at rank 1 and an appropriate background trait. No in addition to that, if you have a positive Int modifier you gain that in extra ranks in other skills you can pick, (i.e. Int 14 is a +2 would grant 2 more skill ranks), but no penalty for a low Intelligence. Making minimum Skills at first 4. Now at every other level you gain 2 extra skill ranks to increase what you currently have or to gain new skills, (which start at rank 1). Still keep the maximum amount of ranks at +7 for bounded accuracy and I would have that 7th rank cost two skill ranks to reach. That would be to indicate a dedication to being the best of the best of the best with that skill. 
Now in addition to that, if there was an overlap of background skills and class skills or Specialty skills that would provide a free bump in rank to that skill. For example, one of the Rogue players in my game got Stealth from Guild Thief, Stealth from the Assassin Scheme and from the Hide in Shadows feat of the Skulker specialty. This would give her a Stealth +3 from the start of the game. Character resources were spent to achieve this so I see no problem there.
As far as with Skill Mastery, I think a simple "If you have the Skill Mastery ability you gain advantage on rolls with those skills." Now with Skill Tricks, its very simple, you sacrifice your advantage to perform the Skill Trick. You can't use advantage on skill checks while maintaining the Skill Trick, due to your concentration on maintaining the Skill Trick.

How about also "skill synergies" (5 or more ranks in Bluff grants a +2 bonus to Disguise, Persuade, Sense Motive)?
Injury induced loss of strength and mobility.
A PC or NPC, after having taken total damage totaling more than half your HP, you become dizzy and weakened and make STR and DEX based rolls at a Disadvantage. Barbarians do not suffer this effect while Raging.

Reeling
After receiving an amount of damage equal to or greater than your Constitution in a single turn, you must make a CON test DC = Damage - CON Mod or find yourself "reeling" the following round. A Reeling character may not attack or perform reactions, they may however perform movement and defensive actions (such as a Dodge action)
8.8 My House Rules! (roll the d20) *click to roll*8.8
A module to align spell levels with character levels. So that spells go from 1-20 and the caster needs to be the same level of a spell or higher to be able to learn and use it.
i would love to see a module about weapon vs armor type and also weapon speed included as giving caster spells a casting makes no sense if weapons arent modified in a similar way

YES! I remember back in 2nd ed we started utlizing weapons vs armor type, would love to see NEXT go this direction as a standard!
8.8 My House Rules! (roll the d20) *click to roll*8.8
Would Defenses instead of saves still be considered a valid advanced module? I'd like to think so.

Defenses:

Fortitude = (Str score + Con Score)/2
Reflex = (Dex score + Wis Score)/2
Will = (Int score + Cha Score)/2

I absolutely agree with this proposal (presumably 10 will be added to these static defenses?)

That said I hope that advanced DDN is more than just a radom list of rules modules. Id like to see some vision underpin advanced DDN in the way that there seems to be a unifying vision in basic and standard.
I absolutely agree with this proposal (presumably 10 will be added to these static defenses?)

It shouldn't be necessary, since it is the score, not modifier. A Str 10, Con 10 creature would have a Fort of 10. A Str 20, Con 10 creature would have a Fort of 15. A Str 13, Con 17 creature would also have a Fort of 15.

Magic Dual Color Test
I am White/Green
I am White/Green
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
I am both orderly and instinctive. I value community and group identity, defining myself by the social group I am a part of. At best, I'm selfless and strong-willed; at worst, I'm unoriginal and sheepish.

It shouldn't be necessary, since it is the score, not modifier. A Str 10, Con 10 creature would have a Fort of 10. A Str 20, Con 10 creature would have a Fort of 15. A Str 13, Con 17 creature would also have a Fort of 15.

Ah I see, this makes sense.

How about also "skill synergies" (5 or more ranks in Bluff grants a +2 bonus to Disguise, Persuade, Sense Motive)?

Planning on trying this system soon, I might apply this to it. See what effect it may have.
Reeling
After receiving an amount of damage equal to or greater than your Constitution in a single turn, you must make a CON test DC = Damage - CON Mod or find yourself "reeling" the following round. A Reeling character may not attack or perform reactions, they may however perform movement and defensive actions (such as a Dodge action)

I kinda like that one, for a 2ed or 3ed game maybe.
But with 5ed's MDD and the "ubber-damage" single hits every round you'll end up having that every round with every attack at mid to high levels.  
Injury induced loss of strength and mobility. A PC or NPC, after having taken total damage totaling more than half your HP, you become dizzy and weakened and make STR and DEX based rolls at a Disadvantage. Barbarians do not suffer this effect while Raging. Reeling After receiving an amount of damage equal to or greater than your Constitution in a single turn, you must make a CON test DC = Damage - CON Mod or find yourself "reeling" the following round. A Reeling character may not attack or perform reactions, they may however perform movement and defensive actions (such as a Dodge action)

I generally dislike (and I think it is weak design) to have something that occurs easily which denies the players actions.

I'd probably go with disadvantage for that effect as well - despite its being overused in some ways - rather than cannot attack.  Or else look for some other penalty other than you cannot attack.  Even something more ike 'dazed' from 4E (attack or move, not both) would be better, imho.

Especially since monsters past level 10 or so will do well over Con Damage on an average  hit since damage scales up very fast in 5E (There are monsters in the low teens with average damage over 30 points per hit).

ON the other hand - I can see Reeling as an effect applied to a character for awhile after they regain consciousness after having been knocked below zero hit points.

Carl
Other crazy idea is the penalty templates. 

When a poison, supernatural curse, sickness or special fatal injurie cause a long-time penalty effect (long time means for two encountersor more).....the PCs can get extra XPs reward it the penalty can be eliminated (for example a sickness is healed by skill medicine) or PC who suffers it has survived for all the time.

It could make easier those undead powers about draining vitae/life force. Nothing about losing levels, only a penalty template.

The idea should be tested.

"Say me what you're showing off for, and I'll say you what you lack!" (Spanish saying)

Book 13 Anaclet 23 Confucius said: "The Superior Man is in harmony but does not follow the crowd. The inferior man follows the crowd, but is not in harmony"

"In a country well governed, poverty is something to be ashamed of. In a country badly governed, wealth is something to be ashamed of." - Confucius 

I would like to see a rules module than enables players to use reagents and the remains of monsters (lich dust, dragon teeth, demon ichor etc) to use to support rituals (rather than gold). I just think it is more fun and interesting.

I also would like to see some support for utility type powers of 4th.

But what DDN Advanced needs is something more than modules. It needs to underlying elements to act as a framework for something more than basic and standard elements. DDN advanced needs to be more than a grab bag of rules modules.

For eg, I quite like the mechnically heavy resolution frameworks of 4th but I especially like the shared responsbility between players and the DM for action resolution in 4th where players could regulary interupt the DM's actions with powers like disruptive strike or weave through the fray, and powers that allowed (demanded?) players to synergize and cooperate. Rules modules supporting these types of activity need to indentify the underlying elements that made 4th ed fun for some (despite its flaws).

My advanced module has already been done. It's called Advanced Dungeons and Dragons. Innocent

Now I just sit back and enjoy the trainwreck on these forums! lol
I would like to see a rules module than enables players to use reagents and the remains of monsters (lich dust, dragon teeth, demon ichor etc) to use to support rituals (rather than gold). I just think it is more fun and interesting.

"#Gp" is just an abstraction for "stuff totalling #Gp in value".  A group simply deducting some gold from a character sheet is assuming some vague unseen "stuff" was consumed to cast the ritual.

The 2 advanced modules that are most important to me are the design your own race module and the design your own class module.

The race module would have a more complex option of physiology, culture, and environment along with option for hybrids and bloodlines.  There would also be options for scaling racial bonuses up and down so that race could absorb feats, levels, or class abilties.  There would also be a race as a class option.

The class module would include rules for hybrid classes, building new classes with a point buy system, rules for exchanging abilities or mechanics between classes, and additional substitute powers for current classes.

These modules would provide the benefit of customization.

They would bring the risk of imbalance.

+1 with a Skills and Powers point system included! I'm already at work on something similar for PF...
"The secret we should never let the gamemasters know is that they don't need any rules." Gygax
A dynamic dueling module with elements from various fighting games such as ounters, counterattacks, misdirection, risky offenses, and attack prediction.

+1 I'd like to see something similar to rolemaster, where your d20 to hit roll is also your defensive roll and the difference between the two offering combat options (a free disarm attempt, extra sheild bash unarmed strike, reposition etc. will speed up combat and make it much more interesting and realistic)

"The secret we should never let the gamemasters know is that they don't need any rules." Gygax

Ad-Hoc spellcasting.

Instead of selecting pre-described spells, you invest skill points (or something like it) into casting specialties. Then you make up a magical effect you want to create, determine which skills are applicable and roll to see if you can pull off the spell.

D&D has done this before with True Dweomers in 2ed's Epic Level Handbook, and in the spellcasting system used in Dragonlance Fifth Age. 

YES! I remember back in 2nd ed we started utlizing weapons vs armor type, would love to see NEXT go this direction as a standard!

well as more of the scaling in 5th edition seems to be done on the damage side instead of the to hit side maybe this also should be the case when using a weapon vs armor table.

so if we look at plate that gives a Ac of 18 logivly it would be most resistant to slashing weapons.
so might get the property that damage from slashing weapons is reduced by 8.

maybe the general rule would be leather hide would be resistant to piercing.
chain and scale to bludgening.
and plated armors to slashing.

Ad-Hoc spellcasting.

Instead of selecting pre-described spells, you invest skill points (or something like it) into casting specialties. Then you make up a magical effect you want to create, determine which skills are applicable and roll to see if you can pull off the spell.

D&D has done this before with True Dweomers in 2ed's Epic Level Handbook, and in the spellcasting system used in Dragonlance Fifth Age. 

It might be hard to do this as a modual to tag onto other classes.

But i have been thinking about somthing like this for a elementalist caster class ( kind of like the casters in the last airbender)
It would get a number of casting points and when casting a spell would select area, damage, added efect.
Each would cost a number of points and you would re gain points at the start of each turn.
the maximum size of your pool and how many points you regain per round depends on your level.
maximum pool might be level+int modifyer, points gained per round increases to 2 at 5th 3 at 10th 4 at 15th 5 at 20th

Injury induced loss of strength and mobility. A PC or NPC, after having taken total damage totaling more than half your HP, you become dizzy and weakened and make STR and DEX based rolls at a Disadvantage. Barbarians do not suffer this effect while Raging.

One thing i haven't liked in any edition was how easely sombody would get up after being reduced below 0 HP and just get s up and continues fighting.
so i might want to use a variation on what you sugest the variation being :

Injury induced loss of strength and mobility. A PC or NPC, after having been reduced to 0 hp or less  you become dizzy and weakened and make STR and DEX based rolls at a Disadvantage, these penlaties remain untill you take a short rest.

"#Gp" is just an abstraction for "stuff totalling #Gp in value".  A group simply deducting some gold from a character sheet is assuming some vague unseen "stuff" was consumed to cast the ritual.

personaly i hope they will have more spells where the spell slot you use efects the efectiveness of the spell.
some spells like burning hands, chill touch, cloudkill,Fireball and others already use this.
Then the special components you mentioned could have a efect like the folowing

preserved fire giant hart 
pre request: the spell must do fire damage and have increased efect if prepared in a higer level spell slot.
effect: treat the spell as if a spell slot 2 levels higer was used and the hart is consimed.