Confused about Weatherlight

18 posts / 0 new
Last post
So I recently picked up four Japanese Thunderbolts. Weatherlight ones. I wanted to look them up online, but I can't find anything indicating that Weatherlight was even printed in Japanese. Am I missing something?

L1 Judge

I'm gonna give you the benefit of the doubt and assume that you know the difference between Japanese, Chinese, and Korean cards? The differences are subltle. You are sure thay are Japanese?
A basic search doesn't show them as being printed in any of those languages, though.
Yet also turns up cards from Weatherlight in Japanese.
I'm gonna give you the benefit of the doubt and assume that you know the difference between Japanese, Chinese, and Korean cards? The differences are subltle. You are sure thay are Japanese?

No doubt your Japanese, Chinese, and Korean are as good as your English. ;) Though in this case, magiccards.info doesn't have Thunderbolt printed in Chinese, Japanese, or Korean.
139359831 wrote:
Clever deduction Watson! Maybe you can explain why Supergirl is trying to kill me.
---- Autocard is your friend. Lightning Bolt = Lightning Bolt
Gatherer says it was printed in Japanese and Korean.
Gatherer says it was printed in Japanese and Korean.

Weatherlight one says "unavailable at this time".
139359831 wrote:
Clever deduction Watson! Maybe you can explain why Supergirl is trying to kill me.

No doubt your Japanese, Chinese, and Korean are as good as your English. ;) Though in this case, magiccards.info doesn't have Thunderbolt printed in Chinese, Japanese, or Korean.

No, they aren't very subtle. I can tell them apart at a glance, but I know many ppl who don't see the diffs as easily. Especially the vintage card frames and fonts. I was just being tactful. Tongue Out
Weatherlight didn't need to be explicitly translated into any language because the quality of Weatherlight transcends all human language.
How to tell apart Chinese, Japanese, and Korean:
- If there are circles all over the place, it's Korean.
- If all the characters are large and look hard to draw, it's Chinese.
- If some of the characters are large and hard to draw but others are small and simpler, it's Japanese.

Telling the two different Chineses apart is a little harder though.
blah blah metal lyrics
To avoid any confusion I even looked up the Avacyn Restored version and compared the card name to see that it is indeed Japanese.

L1 Judge

www.ebay.com/itm/Magic-The-Gathering-Wea...

That eBay auction suggests it was printed in at least 5 non-english languages.  Also, starcity is selling japanese weatherlight cards: sales.starcitygames.com/category.php?cat...

so, if the question is "is this a legit card?", I would say the answer is yes.

My forever unfinished blog of the 2010 MTGO Community Cup: if you're ever bored...
Oh good. Thanks for clearing that up.

L1 Judge

IIRC, Japanese cards were still using Katakana (the Japanese simplified, phonetic script) in the illustrator line at that time. Korean and Chinese were using "Illus. (artist name)", the Japanese was a few simple symbols and the artist name (in English). At some point, I do not recall when, they stopped using the Katakana on the illustrator line.

Scope my YouTube channel!

Here's a shout out for Scholars' Books & Games in Bridgewater, MA, and for Paladin's Place in Darmstadt, Hessen, Germany where I was stationed for two years. Support your FLGS!

Attacking the darkness since 1987, turning creatures sideways since 1994.

I remember looking up the info on this, and so I've checked my notes, and Weatherlight apparently was printed in Japanese.

This site is a good source for this kind of information.

Even Mirage was printed in Japanese. Korean and Traditional Chinese were added for Visions, and continued with Weatherlight.

Coming up with weird ideas to make everyone happy since 2008!

I have now started a blog as an appropriate place to put my crazy ideas.

How to tell apart Chinese, Japanese, and Korean:
- If there are circles all over the place, it's Korean.
- If all the characters are large and look hard to draw, it's Chinese.
- If some of the characters are large and hard to draw but others are small and simpler, it's Japanese.

Telling the two different Chineses apart is a little harder though.

I'd assume simplified is simpler, but they were developed in the era of "Quit farming and set up a steel mill in your backyard!" (Note: You cannot make steel in your backyard.)
139359831 wrote:
I'd assume simplified is simpler, but they were developed in the era of "Quit farming and set up a steel mill in your backyard!" (Note: You cannot make steel in your backyard.)

In general, Simplified Chinese characters do have fewer strokes, and thus are simpler in that sense. Since some simplified characters just replace arbitrary parts of the character by something much simpler, like an X, they can be harder to memorize and learn, though.

Magic cards in the two different forms of Chinese were also in different typefaces, and so you don't need to be able to recognize the distinctive radicals which are a shortcut to distinguishing the two scripts (such as the speech radical, the cart radical, and the gate radical).

Coming up with weird ideas to make everyone happy since 2008!

I have now started a blog as an appropriate place to put my crazy ideas.

(Note: You cannot make steel in your backyard.)

Sure you can. But not in the quantity, nor with the quality control, needed for industrial purposes.

Scope my YouTube channel!

Here's a shout out for Scholars' Books & Games in Bridgewater, MA, and for Paladin's Place in Darmstadt, Hessen, Germany where I was stationed for two years. Support your FLGS!

Attacking the darkness since 1987, turning creatures sideways since 1994.

Weatherlight was printed in Japanese...I have many of them....
Sign In to post comments