Punisher Mechanics are bad you say?

17 posts / 0 new
Last post
Here's my attempt at a good one.

Boonspire
Sorcery

An opponent chooses one: Search your library for a land card and put it onto the battlefield tapped, then shuffle your library; or untap all your lands.
Play it turn 1 or turn 2: I'll let you untap all your lands. You gain no advantage from it.

Play it late in the game: I'll let you go get a land and put it in tapped. You get negligible advantage from it. 
Etiamnunc sto, etiamsi caelum ruat.
Green definitely needs to get in on the punisher mechanic, but hard to say how.

- sorcery - you get Explosive Vegetation unless an opponent takes 5 damage.

- creature - Trample. When ~ enters the battlefield an opponent may have you gain 10 life, if they do then sacrifice ~. 3/3
:wb::wb::wb::wb::wb:   Life or death 
sorcery 

Your opponent chooses one- Both players loose the game, or both players win the game 
"Good" punisher cards tend to be "if ~ is blocked" creatures, but they still suffer from the same issue as Book Burning and friends.
139359831 wrote:
Clever deduction Watson! Maybe you can explain why Supergirl is trying to kill me.
---- Autocard is your friend. Lightning Bolt = Lightning Bolt
I think that a good punisher card should offer you effects that are both good in the same situation.  Dash Hopes is a classic bad card, because the situations where you'd be equally happy with a cheap counterspell vs. a cheap life-loss effect are so slim.  Ideally you want a card where no matter what option they choose you get something that serves your purpose. The other extreme is something like Fact or Fiction where your opponent gets to influence the outcome, but you're always going to be happy to get more cards.  I don't think that even qualifies as a "punisher" anymore.

Here' s one that I've always wanted to put in a set:

Executioner's Spectacle
Sorcery
Choose target creature an opponent controls.  That player sacrifices that creature unless he or she sacrifices all other creatures he or she controls.

I think this strikes a nice medium, where there are corner cases where it's bad, but lots of situations where both choices give you good stuff.
The World of Eldangard - a three act M:tG block by Fallingman Eldangard Stormfront Ragnarok
are punisherner mechanics forcing players to make choices ?

president obombya speaks anger prejudice and a time for US foreign air strike while the US worries about its rights

Let 'em burn [Frozen Parody]
I mean, the whole point, or WP, is that your opponent chooses and you get something for that Blue Light Special Value 'n skittles. So like, One Asparagus Mana for an entire Forest or a great big Beast or something. Yes, it might not be what erryone would like to play with - ain't no hunger hippos - but hell, you know - some people like to play games with other persons. Sometimes games are fun and like you don't know what is going on and that is the fun part, and you can tell that to the brolice. Right to remain pliant. So here this is what I'd do:

Boonspire (By that way, Awesome Name)
Sorcery
Target opponent chooses one: You search your library for a forest and put it onto the battlefield tapped, or you search your library for a land card, reveal it and put it into your hand.
Shuffle that bitch.

Mana, fools.
are punisherner mechanics forcing players to make choices ?

I think thats a little too broad.  Lots of things involve choices.  Combat has tons of choices.  Punishers are usually instants or sorceries in the form of "This bad thing will happen unless your opponent chooses some other bad thing instead".  Informal definition though.  Vexing Devil or Shivan Wumpus certainly qualify.
The World of Eldangard - a three act M:tG block by Fallingman Eldangard Stormfront Ragnarok
Transmuter's Bluff
Sorcery
An opponent chooses one - you may put a creature card from your hand onto the battlefield; or you may put an artifact card from your hand onto the battlefield.

If you want your opponent to make a tough choice, don't let him know exactly what choice he's making.

Rakdos Revelry
Sorcery
Target opponent chooses one - that player discards four cards and you discard two cards; or Rakdos Revelry deals 8 damage to that player and 4 damage to you.
"Why should my victims get to enjoy all the suffering?"
-Mote, Rakdos madcap
Rules Advisor
Transmuter's Bluff
Sorcery
An opponent chooses one - you may put a creature card from your hand onto the battlefield; or you may put an artifact card from your hand onto the battlefield.

If you want your opponent to make a tough choice, don't let him know exactly what choice he's making.

Damn sucka - you know I'm holdin' Artifact Creatures.
Transmuter's Bluff
Sorcery

That
"I think me going Bang bang bang I win is pretty intuitive" Mafia Record: Wouldn't you like to know? 2011 Mafia Awards - Mastermind of the Year
mymoment
\
57817638 wrote:
58060728 wrote:
88318561 wrote:
58060728 wrote:
Moriok Rigger does absolutely nothing to boost other riggers. You are incorrect.
Moriok Rigger is not a Rigger in print. Only in Errata WHAT NOW! (yes, I did put that phrase in for that exact reason)
Congratulations, they have activated your trap card!
Transmuter's Bluff
Sorcery

Crap. Pretend that card said "noncreature artifact".
Rules Advisor
What does green like? Big trample, life gain, land.... hmmmm

Gaea's Ambassador
Creature - Beast
When ~ enters the battlefield each creature you control gains trample until end of turn, unless an opponent has you gain 8 life.
When ~ enters the battlefield, sacrifice it. If you do search your library for two forest cards. Reveal them and put one into your hand and the other onto the battlefield. Shuffle your library. Any opponent may choose for you to not sacrifice ~.
Trample
6/4

Kind of alot going on here.... 
Necrosage -
Creature - Zombie Shaman
When Necrosage enters the battlefield, your opponent chooses your library or your graveyard. Search the chosen zone for a card and put it into your hand. If you searched your library this way, shuffle it.
"What do you fear more--the certainty of death, or the uncertainty of life?" - Jarad
1/1
Here's my attempt at a good one.

Boonspire
Sorcery

An opponent chooses one: Search your library for a land card and put it onto the battlefield tapped, then shuffle your library; or untap all your lands.

Although on a good track, I think it needs some more *oomf*, as the second ability is largely irrelevant most of the time.

How about: 

Search your library yada-yada-yada; or add to your mana pool.

Situationally both good, but also situationally useless.  And I don't think a sorc-speed Ritual if the opponent so-chooses is over the top.
Just so you know, Wizards made a powerful card with the punisher mechanic: Soul Ransom. This demonstrates what is needed for the mechanic to be good: Two different effects that are essentially always really good, Mind Control and Mindculling, and at a cheaper price than either of them.
Won a TPmanW contest with Demonic Arbitrator. (see below) My username is a simple continued fraction. Look it up. My favorite cards I've made:
Show
Æther Rider Creatuere - Spirit (U) Vanishing 0 (This permanent enters the battlefield with zero time counters on it. At the beginning of your upkeep, remove a time counter from it. When the last is removed, sacrifice it.) Flying : Put a time counter on ~. Any player may activate this ability. It comes on the wind, from realms unknown. 2/2 Kaldurian Behemoth Creature - Beast (R) Mana produced by lands may not be used to pay ~'s mana cost. Trample On Kalduria, the beasts are too good to eat common grass. 10/10 Demonic Arbitrator Sorcery Starting with you, each player may pay any amount of life. If any player paid life, repeat this process. If a player paid more life in total than any other, that player searches his or her library for a card and puts that card into his or her hand. Then that player shuffles his or her library. "Your sacrifice has been judged worthy. What power do you require?"