[ICD] Baleflmae Blackgrave

16 posts / 0 new
Last post
Alright, I have some questions about a card I made.

Blaeflame Blackgrave
:B::B::R::R:
Legendary Creature - Zombie Knight
Intimidate
When Baleflame Blackgrave deals combat damage to a player for the first time each turn, you may take an extra combat phase after this one. If you do, you may put any number of creature cards in your graveyard onto the battlefield. Those creatures gain haste. Exile those creatures at the beginning of the next end step.
4/3

Any input is welcome (especially fawning) but I'm specifically looking for answers to these questions:

• With these stats and abilities would it be better to make him/her/it a Demon or a Zombie Warrior/Shaman?

• Is this guy OP? I used to think so but then Aurelia, the Warleader came out I started wondering. He needs the right cards to work in constructed and he's obviously worse in draft, but is this guy safe in Commander?

• Should I offload the end of turn sacrifice clause onto the returned creatures themselves to prevent Sundial shennanigans?

• Do you see any easy ways to cut down on text?

That's all.
Seems to me like you essentially win the game if he connects. I'd up his cost to 7 or maybe even 8, just to be safe.

Embrace imagination.

Lord of YMtC | Ten Rounds Contest Winner

Solphos – A fan set with a 'combo matters' theme

Fool's Gold – The second set of the Solphos block

knights and angles are often warriers with purpose in this game

Once a turn, if this deals a player combat damage,
 you may take an extra combat phase, and
 creatures in your graveyard may come into play.
  Those creatures that do have haste.
  If they leave play or the turn ends, exciled them.
~those felled under hoof are dragged behind

Once a turn, if this deals a player combat damage,
 you may take an extra combat phase, and
 creatures in your graveyard may be unearthed this turn.
  Unearthed creatures have haste
  If they leave play or the turn ends, exciled them.
~those felled under hoof are dragged behind

NO WAR

Sivitri Scarzam rose to challenge the Craw Wurm but was slain by Durkwood Boars.

Liliana emergent

I love the concept, but it's got technical issues. For one, it goes infinite if you have a way to sac it in response to the damage trigger...
The World of Eldangard - a three act M:tG block by Fallingman Eldangard Stormfront Ragnarok
I love the concept, but it's got technical issues. For one, it goes infinite if you have a way to sac it in response to the damage trigger...

I you sure it goes infinite if you can sac this guy? Since the exile affect is triggered as soon as this guy brings cretures back from the yard I thought it would be fine.
If you're talking about sacrificing the creatures you bring back with this guy though, then I definately see your point. I need to put in a clause where the creatures you brought back get exiled if they are killed before you would sacrifice them.
Whenever ~ deals combat damage to a player for the first time each turn, return any number of creature cards from your graveyard to the battlefield. They gain haste. Exile those creatures at end of next combat or if they would leave the battlefield. After this phase there is an additional combat phase.

I you sure it goes infinite if you can sac this guy? Since the exile affect is triggered as soon as this guy brings cretures back from the yard I thought it would be fine.
If you're talking about sacrificing the creatures you bring back with this guy though, then I definately see your point. I need to put in a clause where the creatures you brought back get exiled if they are killed before you would sacrifice them.

The trick is with the "first time each turn" wording.  If he leaves the battlefield to the graveyard then gets returned to the battlefield by his own ability (which he can do, since it doesn't target) then he's treated as a completely new creature.  When the new instance of Blackgrave deals damage to your opponent "for the first time" the ability will trigger again, and you can repeat the process.

Whenever ~ deals combat damage to a player for the first time each turn, return any number of creature cards from your graveyard to the battlefield. They gain haste. Exile those creatures at end of next combat or if they would leave the battlefield. After this phase there is an additional combat phase.

This fixes the infinite loop, although you can still get one additional attack with him alone.  If you've got stuff with vigilance or untap effects (which almost certainly means you're playing a three color deck) you can swing three times with everybody, but that might be fair considering how powerful the effect is to begin with, and how many hoops you need to jump through to make it happen.

I'd definitely make him cost more than six though.  He swings the game in a huge way.

The World of Eldangard - a three act M:tG block by Fallingman Eldangard Stormfront Ragnarok
Alright, I have some questions about a card I made.

Blaeflame Blackgrave
:B::B::R::R:
Legendary Creature - Zombie Knight
Intimidate
When Baleflame Blackgrave deals combat damage to a player for the first time each turn, you may take an extra combat phase after this one. If you do, you may put any number of creature cards in your graveyard onto the battlefield. Those creatures gain haste. Exile those creatures at the beginning of the next end step.
4/3

Any input is welcome (especially fawning) but I'm specifically looking for answers to these questions:

• With these stats and abilities would it be better to make him/her/it a Demon or a Zombie Warrior/Shaman?

• Is this guy OP? I used to think so but then Aurelia, the Warleader came out I started wondering. He needs the right cards to work in constructed and he's obviously worse in draft, but is this guy safe in Commander?

• Should I offload the end of turn sacrifice clause onto the returned creatures themselves to prevent Sundial shennanigans?

• Do you see any easy ways to cut down on text?

That's all.

I would not worry about sundial. That card was made for shennanigans 
Make it target the cards in the graveyard so you have to choose them when the ability triggers. That way he won't be able to return himself with a sacrifice engine.

http://nogoblinsallowed.com/

I don't think the Blackgraves would've realistically named their son Baleflame.

120.6. Some effects replace card draws.

why are you here when NGA exists and is just better

leaves play excile. means one could get away with attacking 3 times once, before the Knight leaves play

remember nothing is untapping so that 3rd combats may not be worth much
NO WAR

Sivitri Scarzam rose to challenge the Craw Wurm but was slain by Durkwood Boars.

Liliana emergent

I don't think the Blackgraves would've realistically named their son Baleflame.

Please, he's a zombie. Obviously Blackgrave wasn't his orginal surname (That was Tanner), instead it was the title he took after he rose from the dead to command the undead legions. That or he comes from a long line of family members refusing to stay dead, and so they took the name Blackgrave in honour of the Masoleum the corpses are temporarily stored in before arising.

He was originally named Baleflame because his dad lost a bet. Duh.
"I think me going Bang bang bang I win is pretty intuitive" Mafia Record: Wouldn't you like to know? 2011 Mafia Awards - Mastermind of the Year
mymoment
\
57817638 wrote:
58060728 wrote:
88318561 wrote:
58060728 wrote:
Moriok Rigger does absolutely nothing to boost other riggers. You are incorrect.
Moriok Rigger is not a Rigger in print. Only in Errata WHAT NOW! (yes, I did put that phrase in for that exact reason)
Congratulations, they have activated your trap card!
That's a lot of text for Phage the Untouchable, is it not?
139359831 wrote:
Clever deduction Watson! Maybe you can explain why Supergirl is trying to kill me.
---- Autocard is your friend. Lightning Bolt = Lightning Bolt
Make it target the cards in the graveyard so you have to choose them when the ability triggers. That way he won't be able to return himself with a sacrifice engine.

I might just have to do that. It's either that or making it trigger off of "a creature named ~ dealing ccombat damage for the first time each turn".

Having him recur himself is defintely a loophole I want to close. I imiagine differing views on the feasability of doing that would cuase a lot of fights in casual games.
New wording:
Whenever Baleflame Blackgrave deals combat damage to a player for the first time each turn, return any number of target creature cards from your graveyard to the battlefield. They gain haste. Exile those creatures at end of next combat or if they would leave the battlefield. After this phase there is an additional combat phase.
Does this look okay to everyone?

I'm also going to raise his cmc by one. He's harder to trigger than Aurelia and hopefully harder to go infinite with but his alpha strike is a lot bigger. (Also he's a lot more easily hated out). Maybe to keep him looking appealing I'll bump up the stats a little or add another keyword (other than haste).
Edit- Or I might just end up replacing the with a :B::R:. It doesn't make him less powerful but it does present problems for decks trying to run him.
Those changes look good.

Now go check [REDACTED].
Sign In to post comments