Intriguing Izzet Idea

7 posts / 0 new
Last post
So before RTR I ran a UR talrand/burning vengeance flashback deck.  When I saw Izzet was to be first in the block I wept tears of joy.  I instantly grabbed the cards I needed (on a budget, so not the best cards) and made a deck that did really well with Guttersnipe as one of my main wincos.  Didn't do as well as I'd hoped, so I pulled some cash together to get little things like hypersonic dragon and Nivmagus Elemental.  Defintely did better, but was still missing something.  So I recently had an idea to have a semi-creature, spell casting deck, with a sideboard that removes the creatures and non-flashback spells with Burning Vengeance, Secrets of the Dead, Altar of the Lost, and more flashback.

Land: 22
2x [C]Reliquary Tower[/C]
11x [C]Island[/C]
9x [C]Mountain[/C]

Creatures: 21
4x [C]Guttersnipe[/C]
4x [C]Frostburn Weird[/C]
3x [C]Goblin Electromancer[/C]
3x [C]Blistercoil Weird[/C]
2x [C]Nivmagus Elemental[/C]
2x [C]Hypersonic Dragon[/C]
2x [C]Talrand, Sky Summoner[/C]
1x [C]Niv-Mizzet, Dracogenius[/C]

Other Spells: 17
4x [C]Artful Dodge[/C]
4x [C]Think Twice[/C]
3x [C]Desperate Ravings[/C]
3x [C]Geistflame[/C]
3x [C]Teleportal[/C]

Sideboard:
4x [C]Burning Vengeance[/C] (replaces 4x [C]Frostburn Weird[/C])
2x [C]Increasing Confusion[/C] (replaces 2x [C]Hypersonic Dragon[/C])
2x [C]Secrets of the Dead[/C] (replaces 2x [C]Teleportal[/C])
2x [C]Altar of the Lost[/C] (replaces 1x [C]Teleportal[/C] and 1x [C]Blistercoil Weird[/C])
4x [C]Dream Twist[/C] (replaces 2x [C]Blistercoil Weird[/C] and 2x [C]Goblin Electromancer[/C])
1x [C]Desperate Ravings[/C] (replaces the remaining 1x [C]Goblin Electromancer[/C])

The purpose of dream twist is not to be a cheap mill spell, it's a horrible idea, it's purely for being cheap to interact with guttersnipe, burning vengeance, and talrand.  I refuse to add [C]Faithless Looting[/C] because it negates card advantage, giving -1 when cast and 0 when flashbacked.  I only have one niv mizzet and figured I'd slap him in here.  I'm open to any suggestions on what should be replaced, or if i should switch other things out with the sideboard.
-As a sidenote, the deck goes from a creature to spell (only includes instant and sorcery) ratio of 21:17 to 9:21 (3:7)

There's some nice stuff izzet can utilize from GTC. YOu should really check some of it out.  I'll post some of it when I wake up.
I am White/Black
yeah, I haven't had the chance to go to my local shop since GTC, and I'm saving most of my money for the Dragon's Maze prerelease for more izzet stuff (Ral-Zarek?).  But the Cipher ability works great with [C]Guttersnipe[/C] and [C]Talrand, Sky Summoner[/C].  Especially [C]Hands of Binding[/C]. Haven't looked into the red cards yet.
And I was wondering if anybody thinks [C]Charmbreaker Devils[/C] would be good to put in the sideboard, they work great with artful dodge. Cast it twice, maybe even a dreamtwist and a geistlfame, you just swung for 20 unblockable.
Please take out frostborn weird. It's...not a good card. Just overall, it's not good. You don't want to use mana on it's ability, it's overcosted, and doesn't have much of a positive effect on your board state.  I don't see you getting the mana to use miv mizzet effectively, so he should be cut too.

switch out reliquary tower for desolate lighthouses. Mid to late game digging.

Recommended:

-4 frostborn weird
-1 niv-mizzet, dracogenius
-2 reliquary tower 

+3 pillar of flame
+2 searing spear
+2 desolate lighthouse

Please take out frostborn weird. It's...not a good card. Just overall, it's not good. You don't want to use mana on it's ability, it's overcosted, and doesn't have much of a positive effect on your board state.  I don't see you getting the mana to use miv mizzet effectively, so he should be cut too.

switch out reliquary tower for desolate lighthouses. Mid to late game digging.

Recommended:

-4 frostborn weird
-1 niv-mizzet, dracogenius
-2 reliquary tower 

+3 pillar of flame
+2 searing spear
+2 desolate lighthouse

I always saw it as a decent defender with a good twist for early game.  But now that i think of it, more spells would help the main deck guttersnipe and talrand.  I'll grab some searing spears and pillars.  I'm still a bit iffy on the lighthouse but I'll look into it.  Thanks for the advice!

I've tried the Charmbreaker Devils before. They aren't the best. By the time he hits the board I found that I had pretty much played all my spells. He would dig for a spell from the graveyard but either I had to chump block with him or he was chumped or killed by a spell. 

The hypersonic dragon proved to be more useful to me when I played it. It could swing for 4 damage without blocks usually. 

Try it out but I like the dragon more.