Gatecrash Event Decks

30 posts / 0 new
Last post
When do they usually post the deck spoilers?  A week or two before it comes out, or sooner?  I preordered Simic Thrive and Thrash a while back, and i'm curious.    
I think we'll get the event deck lists tomorrow on DailyMTG.

IMAGE(http://oi39.tinypic.com/14mvxh5.jpg)

Thrive and Thrash has a simic logo and the Gatecrash logo on the packaging.  This deck has 16 gatecrash cards and 7 simic cards, or should I say, 2 different simic cards.  Fail man.

This is the reason why Event decks should NEVER have the set logo.  Any product with a set logo MUST have at least over 60% of cards from that set, excluding basic lands.

Event decks, as a precon, are not supposed to capture the flavor and mechanics of the set.  That job is reserved for Intro packs.

When people see the Thrive and Thrash packaging, they expect tons of gatecrash cards, with the evolve mechanic, and the flavor of simic.  That deck is just a UG deck, and has nothing to do with simic.  Isn't the simic supposed to take little creatures and make them bigger?  Isn't that what evolve and graft are all about?  Also, Thrive and Thrash doesn't have a +1/+1 counter theme, which both Simic Mutology and Simic Synthesis have.

People see event decks as better intro packs, basically, a deck based on the mechanics and theme of a set, just like intro packs, but more expensive, and with more rares.  They think that way becuause, guess what, the event decks are have the set logo.  Basically, they would expect Thrive and Thrash to be a better version of Simic Synthesis, which is not, as they have completely different strategies.
Nah Nah Nah... Nah Nah Nah... SPORTSCENTER... THE PLACE FOR SPORTS
One has Thragtusk and three Rancors.  Seems pretty good.

The other has Clifftop Retreat, Champion of the Parish, Silverblade Paladin, Thalia, 2 Boros Charm, 2 Skullcrack, a playset of Pillars, and 3 Searing Spears.

Also not too damn shabby. 
Favorite set: Arabian Nights Favorite planeswalker: Taysir, the One Made of Five Favorite book cycle: Ice Age Favorite creature type(s): Elephant (W), Minotaur (R), Shade (B), Spider (G), Cephalid (U) Myr (Artifact) Pauper: Monoblack Control Modern: Zombie Tribal; Unyaro Stax Cube: The Moons of Mirrodin
where are you finding the lists at?   
Nevermind, they hide those arcanas good!  Haha.   

www.wizards.com/Magic/Magazine/Article.a...

edit:  Pretty bummed about the Simic deck. Only gates as duals, and splashing one mountain for 2 of the worst possible Gruul cards?  UGGGH.  That list looks like it plays just like a M13 "flicker" deck.  No Simic theme at all.  Bummer WotC.  Hopefully the spindown isn't ugly...    Undecided
boros looks pretty good, but wtf with simic?!? blue/green/red are the worst colors to shove together. and it has nothing to do with simic

~Your either my puppet or my matchstick~

color preferences (1st is fav and so on):

198732583 wrote:
Oh Ajani seems to like Elpheth's milk, meow.
Maybe they assume you bought a box or three of Gatecrash boosters and you'll bring some good stuff (shocklands, Master Biomancer, Aurelia, etc.) to make the deck more consistent on drawing good cards and perhaps more Gatecrash-y since it has Gatecrash guild logos.....

They are serviceable, but I can't imagine winning at an FNM too often with either, as-is.
If I'm right, I'm right. If I'm wrong, I still believe I'm right. Think of it as religion. dubito ergo sum.
The only multicolored card in simic event deck is ?!

I wish they would have done a dimir event deck then.... 
I play for fun
R u effin serious? Fire whoever designed the simic deck and also anyone involed in giving it a thumbs up!! Why the fu** is this thing labeled Simic??? Not even one creature with evolve? One gets 4 gates while the other gets two rare lands?? I guess they said throw some crap together thats u/g and call it simic....but wait no one will buy it! Ohhh i know lets just throw in a thragtusk and call it a day. Fail wotc.

You can buy the simic deck minus thrag for $5-6. Ill wast $25 elsewhere.
They're riding the "Thragtusk sells" mentality for as long as they can and are shoving it in every event deck.
A wise man on film sequels:
Watching sequels to really good films is like visiting a bollock kicking parlour, paying your money and then proceeding to get your bollocks kicked...then leaving and returning at a later date to repeat the process. -iamthehollow
Decks: :R::G: Karn Tron :R::U: Bloody Fish There Will Be Blood (movie).
So happy I'm not the only one very disappointed in the 'Simic' event deck. I was actually hoping to pick up one or two of them because I wanted to try a Simic deck. 
Well, not anymore.

Though I will be suggesting that Boros one with all of the freaking amazing cards in it to my friend who plays them. 
Ok, so what are we going to do with one of the event decks?  What guild will it be?

Uh, let's do Simic.  Because we are going to do Green and Blue.

Oh, oh, let's add red, because red is cool, yeah.

Let's add Thragtusk.  Instant success.

Seriously, you don't counteract the fact that a card is too good by making the deck so bad.  The best way to counteract the fact that the deck sells too well because of one card, is by removing that card, not making everything else junk.
I find both decks underwhelming.

To autocard: [c]Killer Whale[/c] ⇒ Killer Whale

The simic deck looks fine, just odd. Also it doesn't say it's simic on the box, it just has a simic symbol. I'd be surpised if the newer players that buy those things even know what the symbols for each guild are.
The simic deck looks fine, just odd. Also it doesn't say it's simic on the box, it just has a simic symbol. I'd be surpised if the newer players that buy those things even know what the symbols for each guild are.

That may be....but why even SUGGEST that it is associated with the guild, when it isn't?  It shares the guild colors (sort of), but nothing else.  Why not just label it U/G and leave the guild out of it?  
They could have just not put any of the guild logos on it.  They could have just used art from one of the cards that were in the deck, which I couldn't think of, because there aren't a lot of good gatecrash cards in the deck that have good cover arts.

It is obvious that the people who built the deck together didn't have flavor, and the Gatecrash mechanical theme tied to the deck, and try their hardest to not make it the expensive, better version of the intro pack.

At the same time, the marketing department designed the packaging with the event deck being the better, more expensive version of intro pack.

Why stuff the guild theme with the event decks if they already did that with the intro packs?  The deck would be aight, if the Simic deck didn't have the Simic logo on it.  Being simic isn't just about being blue and green.  It has to have its values as well.

Although I don't think event decks should be tied to any set, they could still use the set name to say that this event deck is standard legal for the "Gatecrash season", since they name seasons after the sets now, like the Gatecrash pro tour qualifier, although they don't have a M13 core set pro tour qualifier, but adding flavorful themes such as boros, or simic to the event decks, when they aren't even designed with flavor in mind, is just wrong.

So far, the Golgari, Rakdos, and Boros to me, capture the flavor of the guilds, and the strategy the guilds use.  This isn't the case with Simic.  You only need to look at the Simic Synthesis intro pack, and Thrive and Thrash, to notice that the strategies between the 2 decks are entirely different.  Rakdos Raid and Wrack and Rage both have similar strategies.
I was hoping I could get a side of good mana-fixing with my order of large steak.

I got nothing. The "Simic" deck disappoints me. Looks like I won't need to go out of my way to get one, at least. 

CURRENT EDH DECKS: Sek'kuar | Kraj | Teysa | Wort | Purphoros | Varolz | Reaper King | Rakdos | Isperia | Ultimus | Iroas | Macar | Roon | Marath | Kruphix | Karametra | Marchesa

The simic deck exists because they want to have a deck with Thragtusk in it, without the retailers jacking up the price of the deck.  How else would you do it, other than to make everything else a pile of junk?
The only multicolored card in simic event deck is ?!

Nah, Urban Evolution is in there too (in triplicate!).  And there are two cards (well, 3 cards total, 2 distinct cardnames).

The simic deck exists because they want to have a deck with Thragtusk in it, without the retailers jacking up the price of the deck.  How else would you do it, other than to make everything else a pile of junk?

They could have made a large part of the rest of the deck cheap GTC commons and uncommons that actually use the GTC Simic ability (Evolve).  It wouldn't have priced the deck through the roof to have the deck use Shamblesharks and Cloudfin Raptors, and actually use simic tech like Simic Charm and Zameck Guildmage.  And throw in a low-demand rare that's already in intro decks and every Simic prerelease pack - Fathom Mage.

Would have made the deck playable and on-guild-theme without adding any more chase money above Thraggy than the version of the deck they printed has.
Rally and Rout is going at $40 on Starcity games.  I thought event decks were sold at a fixed rate.  Is this going to be the same case with any lgs?
it depends on the shop
Walmart is a large chain that will sell those at MSRP no matter the content, so if your LGS overcharges try that
proud member of the 2011 community team
it depends on the shop
Walmart is a large chain that will sell those at MSRP no matter the content, so if your LGS overcharges try that

Wal-mart don't sell event decks.
it depends on the shop

The one in my town does.  

I hate when people think that a giant corporation with 10,00+ stores carries the EXACT same things in all 10k+ stores. 
The place I see them online will usually end up selling them individually for $25-30, but offers them as a set of two for $40
it depends on the shop

The one in my town does.  

I hate when people think that a giant corporation with 10,00+ stores carries the EXACT same things in all 10k+ stores. 

Are you sure you aren't confusing them with Intro Packs?

Event decks are hobby exclusive products.
I've seen numerous wal-marts and targets that have a dedicated card section which has baseball/football, magic, yu-gi-oh, pokemon, etc boosters, starters, etc.  basically, everything but singles. 
Hopefully They won't be as expensive here.  $40 for an event deck seems ridiculous.
I actually tried both of these decks out on forbidden programs.

Rally and Rout is suprisingly solid. It could actually win you games at your FNM, through tight play of course.

Thrash and Thrive though is... interesting... Basically what this deck does is ramp into umpteenthousand mana in order to seemingly pump out large fatties. You'd be wrong if you thought that. This deck does ramp, but more importantly it draws a lot of cards. Look again and you'l notice that most of the creatures have ETB effects. Do you know what that means?

Yes. Thrash and Thrive is actually the Repeat Performance event deck from M13 again with Deadeye Navigator instead of Roaring Primadox.

Once you get enough mana do activate the abiliy multiple times you can:

1. Destroy all of their lands, and quickly.

2. Draw your entire deck in five card piles. Or:

3. Thragtusk

It is by far the silliest standard deck that I've ever played. It gets stomped on by aggro. And probably by midrange too. But give it a few turns to get Deadeye out with some mana open and silly things happen.

it depends on the shop

The one in my town does.  

Wal-Mart sells everything but singles, Event Decks, Comanders Arsenals, From the Vaults, etc...... Some products are LGS exclusives. If you have a Vintage Stock in your area go there. They always sell at MSRP and are considered game stores by WotC so they can order the restricted items listed above.
"You wouldn't like me when I'm angry. I always back up my arguements with facts and documented sources." - The Credible Hulk
Sign In to post comments