A Detektor Blip: Kink

20 posts / 0 new
Last post
Rakdos Revelers
Creature - Human Berserker
Haste, kink (Whenever this creature deals or is dealt nonlethal damage, add or to your mana pool. Until end of turn, this mana doesn't empty from your mana pool as steps and phases end.)
2/2

Lashlady 
Creature - Devil
Kink (Whenever this creature deals or is dealt nonlethal damage, add or to your mana pool. Until end of turn, this mana doesn't empty from your mana pool as steps and phases end.)
: Lashlady deals 1 damage to target creature.
1/1

Orgone Addict
Creature - Ogre Warrior
Kink (Whenever this creature deals or is dealt nonlethal damage, add or to your mana pool. Until end of turn, this mana doesn't empty from your mana pool as steps and phases end.)
: Orgone Addict fights target creature. Activate this ability only once each turn.
3/3

An alternate Rakdos keyword, because Unleash is boring. Red and black are both associated with strange self-punishments and fast mana. Also, Rakdos is all about ignoring the laws and smashing face, so this keyword helps you break free from standstills because you'll get extra mana every time you don't manage to kill anything. With kink, every combat is worthwhile. Plus, there's really nothing more black/red than strange and hazardous sexual practices, is there?

I've left off flavour text for now because I'm still not sure whether this is an entirely terrible idea.
'this mana doesn't empty from your mana pool as steps and phases end.'

If your creatures bump heads in combat, you should be able to use that mana in your second main phase.
'this mana doesn't empty from your mana pool as steps and phases end.'

If your creatures bump heads in combat, you should be able to use that mana in your second main phase.

Good catch.
that or have these lovelies shoulder pain chips
remove the pain chips for mana

president obombya speaks anger prejudice and a time for US foreign air strike while the US worries about its rights

Let 'em burn [Frozen Parody]
Yeah, boi - remove the pain chips, suckas. Remove all those phlikkin pain chips til the whole phlikkin bag is as empty as a husk. Pain chips. Word.

Indeed, my man, these are totally sexy pieces of cardboard. That Orgone Addict is one cool mother, eh? You seriously bringin' it all day erryday.
I need a job

president obombya speaks anger prejudice and a time for US foreign air strike while the US worries about its rights

Amazing.
I liked unleash, but this looks fun, I'm afraid balancing the kink might make the creature not aggressive enough to be Rakdos-y though.

Also, is damage to Players/Planeswalkers non-lethal? 
"I think me going Bang bang bang I win is pretty intuitive" Mafia Record: Wouldn't you like to know? 2011 Mafia Awards - Mastermind of the Year
mymoment
\
57817638 wrote:
58060728 wrote:
88318561 wrote:
58060728 wrote:
Moriok Rigger does absolutely nothing to boost other riggers. You are incorrect.
Moriok Rigger is not a Rigger in print. Only in Errata WHAT NOW! (yes, I did put that phrase in for that exact reason)
Congratulations, they have activated your trap card!
I'm pretty sure this should say "This mana doesn't empty as phases and steps end until end of turn." Otherwise, it's kind of broken - and very confusing.
Won a TPmanW contest with Demonic Arbitrator. (see below) My username is a simple continued fraction. Look it up. My favorite cards I've made:
Show
Æther Rider Creatuere - Spirit (U) Vanishing 0 (This permanent enters the battlefield with zero time counters on it. At the beginning of your upkeep, remove a time counter from it. When the last is removed, sacrifice it.) Flying : Put a time counter on ~. Any player may activate this ability. It comes on the wind, from realms unknown. 2/2 Kaldurian Behemoth Creature - Beast (R) Mana produced by lands may not be used to pay ~'s mana cost. Trample On Kalduria, the beasts are too good to eat common grass. 10/10 Demonic Arbitrator Sorcery Starting with you, each player may pay any amount of life. If any player paid life, repeat this process. If a player paid more life in total than any other, that player searches his or her library for a card and puts that card into his or her hand. Then that player shuffles his or her library. "Your sacrifice has been judged worthy. What power do you require?"
I'm pretty sure this should say "This mana doesn't empty as phases and steps end until end of turn." Otherwise, it's kind of broken - and very confusing.

sakura-tribe springcaller agrees.

120.6. Some effects replace card draws.
Fixed.
I like it.

a reminder that mana empties as phases and steps end

I believe nonlethal isn't actually a word with specific rules attached to it; it's just convenient to use in flavour reminder text. The original intention was that kink only triggered off damage dealt to creatures, but I agree that it's ambiguous as currently worded.

Do Planeswalkers "die" once they have no loyalty counters on them?

I believe nonlethal isn't actually a word with specific rules attached to it; it's just convenient to use in flavour text. The original intention was that kink only triggered off damage dealt to creatures, but I agree that it's ambiguous as currently worded.

Do Planeswalkers "die" once they have no loyalty counters on them? 

well, yes and no. the rules definition of die is simply "is put into a graveyard from the battlefield." anything that meets that definition "dies". however, the term is, by convention, only used for creatures.

anyway, I think the cleanest way to do this is to take the blocked/unblocked route and define non-lethal as only a thing in situations where lethality is a possibility. that is, since players can't be dealt "lethal" damage, they can't be dealt non-lethal damage either. only creatures have a concept of lethal damage, so only creatures can tell you whether that damage is lethal or not.

you might also want to define lethal damage a bit clearer. 702.18b does a decent job (it's damage that is equal to a creature's toughness minus the current damage marked on it) but that's not quite the definition I'd use. (damage the creature doesn't die from.) in order to get that definition you'd actually have to set up a delayed trigger for right after the next time SBAs are checked after the damage is dealt. so Lashlady taps to ping a creature. that creature doesn't die yet. then SBAs check, and tell you whether it now dies. now you can look back and answer the question "was that damage lethal?" and if not, get your mana.

I also really hate keywording color-specific abilities. ask Rush how much I bitched about extort. I understand why you're doing it that way, but could you please change it to one mana of any of this creature's colors? you can word it your way if you want (like Prowl did) but make the underlying mechanic more flexible.

What raz said, flexibility and all that jazz.
I thought orgone energy was "blue". LOL

That said, pop Reichian psychology is definitely Rakdos.
139359831 wrote:
Clever deduction Watson! Maybe you can explain why Supergirl is trying to kill me.
---- Autocard is your friend. Lightning Bolt = Lightning Bolt
I see your point, but

a) Allowing both black and red reinforces the Rakdos identity of kink cards;
b) It helps avoid colour-screw; and
c) I don't really see green, white or blue ever using this keyword for flavour reasons.
a) Allowing both black and red reinforces the Rakdos identity of kink cards;

I think if the play of the mechanic doesn't do that, then explicitly name-checking the colors involved isn't gonna help. do you think Extort would feel less Orzhov if you could pay ?

b) It helps avoid colour-screw; and

that's true, but in that case you could make it one mana of any color and it'll help avoid it even more.

c) I don't really see green, white or blue ever using this keyword for flavour reasons.

the same could be said for fear. but then they went "hey we should put this in some other colors too!" and then suddenly they had to make a whole new keyword. you probably couldn't have a mono-white card with it, but ? sure, why not? and why should that card add red? in fact, you could totally have a mono-white card as long as it was in a set with an organization like the Orzhov. which tangentially leads me back to why I hate Extort: it'd be super cool to have a cycle in DGM of guild mechanics in secondary guilds, like a blue simic card that populates. but Extort makes that impossible, because extort, instead of relying on being a very Orzhovy mechanic, feels the need to go "HEY GUYS YOU SHOULD RUN ME IN A DECK. GUESS WHAT. THOSE ARE THE ONLY COLORS I EXIST IN SO I'M PROBABLY GOOD THERE." Kink being no matter what card it's on feels similarly.