I guess I'm going for Lands Matter 2.0

20 posts / 0 new
Last post

This is a little card I always thought would have been rather important in a lands matter block but surprisingly was never printed. Why? Because it only is effective against lands that are weird. Or I suppose if you have some plans to boomerang it back to your hand or something, I suppose. There was a creature that did something similar back in Urza's block (I hope that doesn't mean this card is broken) and a creature that allowed you to exchange your lands back in the original Ravnica block, but no land that could actually switch itself. 

There needs to be one.

Here it is. 
If you're going to make the Gilded Drake of lands, it needs the clause: "If you don't make an exchange, sacrifice Dragonscrag Outpost. This ability can't be countered except by spells and abilities." Otherwise, if you play this turn one on the play, you keep it. Unless that was what you wanted. As for the card, I don't think there are enough broken lands to make this good outside of Vintage, and there only as hate for dredge. The idea is nice, though. Maybe if it tapped for two colorless instead, so you could use it to color-screw people.
Won a TPmanW contest with Demonic Arbitrator. (see below) My username is a simple continued fraction. Look it up. My favorite cards I've made:
Show
Æther Rider Creatuere - Spirit (U) Vanishing 0 (This permanent enters the battlefield with zero time counters on it. At the beginning of your upkeep, remove a time counter from it. When the last is removed, sacrifice it.) Flying : Put a time counter on ~. Any player may activate this ability. It comes on the wind, from realms unknown. 2/2 Kaldurian Behemoth Creature - Beast (R) Mana produced by lands may not be used to pay ~'s mana cost. Trample On Kalduria, the beasts are too good to eat common grass. 10/10 Demonic Arbitrator Sorcery Starting with you, each player may pay any amount of life. If any player paid life, repeat this process. If a player paid more life in total than any other, that player searches his or her library for a card and puts that card into his or her hand. Then that player shuffles his or her library. "Your sacrifice has been judged worthy. What power do you require?"
Numbers and Dashes is right about those clauses, holmes. But I do enjoy the spicy nature of this Mofo. Shoot it up, and lock and load. Print the papers on the presses. This ain't no common either, ese.
Wouldn't they have to exchange it for nothing if they played it on turn 1? "And up to one target land..." 

And I'm not a big fan of mana screw. Its just one of my things, I'm pretty much OK with all other forms of screwing over the other player, even ones wizards has deemed "unfun", but it seems distinctly boring and pointless for both sides when a game happens in which somebody doesn't draw the correct color of lands so he can play his spells. 

I'm thinking of adding a subtype to my set so it would be "Land - Haunted." These haunted lands would have various spells that punish controling them. Most of them would be lands intended for use yourself (stuff that would generally be considered slightly "strictly better" than basics, only
with the subtype), but there could also be this. That would make this, as well as the whole "Haunted land punishing" cards much more playable, no?
Kazu,  exchange for nothing isn't the only problem. The problem comes if you Boomerang the targeted land after playing yours. Without the added clause, the ability would be countered and the sacrifice would not occur. The original problem with turn one is that if there is no other target, there's nothing to exchange with, even though the ability triggers. Exchange only works if there si something to exchange with.
Won a TPmanW contest with Demonic Arbitrator. (see below) My username is a simple continued fraction. Look it up. My favorite cards I've made:
Show
Æther Rider Creatuere - Spirit (U) Vanishing 0 (This permanent enters the battlefield with zero time counters on it. At the beginning of your upkeep, remove a time counter from it. When the last is removed, sacrifice it.) Flying : Put a time counter on ~. Any player may activate this ability. It comes on the wind, from realms unknown. 2/2 Kaldurian Behemoth Creature - Beast (R) Mana produced by lands may not be used to pay ~'s mana cost. Trample On Kalduria, the beasts are too good to eat common grass. 10/10 Demonic Arbitrator Sorcery Starting with you, each player may pay any amount of life. If any player paid life, repeat this process. If a player paid more life in total than any other, that player searches his or her library for a card and puts that card into his or her hand. Then that player shuffles his or her library. "Your sacrifice has been judged worthy. What power do you require?"
Kazu,  exchange for nothing isn't the only problem. The problem comes if you Boomerang the targeted land after playing yours. Without the added clause, the ability would be countered and the sacrifice would not occur. The original problem with turn one is that if there is no other target, there's nothing to exchange with, even though the ability triggers. Exchange only works if there si something to exchange with.

So you are going to put out this guy, bounce the land that you are exchanging it for, just to keep this guy? 

TBH I don't see any major problem with that, unless its going to cause some huge rules issue or something.  
Kazu, the second half is the real problem. If you play it turn one, before they have a land, you keep it, because exchange with nothing is impossible. You could add the line "If you don't exchange it, sacrifice ~." It could still be countered, but the turn 1 play would lead to sacrifice. 
Show
Gilded Drake has that clause because they don't want you getting a 3/3 flier for 2 mana in blue in the case where the opponent has no creatures. It's a bit too powerful.

But there's nothing powerful about getting out a land that taps for one colorless mana. This card is much better when you trade it for something than when you don't. (In fact, I think it's overpowered. Not only do you Ghost Quarter them, you get to keep the land that you quartered, and they get a colorless land rather than a basic).
Gilded Drake has that clause because they don't want you getting a 3/3 flier for 2 mana in blue in the case where the opponent has no creatures. It's a bit too powerful. But there's a lot powerful about getting out a land that taps for one mana of any color. This card is much better when you trade it for something than when you don't. (In fact, I don't think it's overpowered. Not only do you Ghost Quarter them, you get to keep the land that you quartered, and they get an all colored land rather than a basic).

Fixed that for you.
Show
You definately need some sort of clause in there about excahnging control when there's nothing else out. You don't even have to change the functionality of the card. You just need something in there to keep MTG's rules from turning to mush when presented with an impossible situation.

This is quite the interesting card. At first I assumed it was a softer form of land destruction, before seeing that it tapped for one mana of any color. As it is now I suppose this has three functions.

1. First turn on the play, it's a land that taps for any color and etbs untapped.

2. It shuts down combos based around lands like Valakut, the Molten Pinnacle, Cloudpost or even Vault of the Archangel.

3. Being nice to people in multiplayer. (Also Zedruu)

It's a fairly narrow card but it serves its function admirably.

Did you make that set symbol in MSE or import it from somewhere else? If it's the former, then bravo, that takes some skill. If it's the latter, then please teach me.
The set symbol looks terrible as mythic. I got a picture of a palm tree online and edited it in MSE. I was going for Mirage 2.0, though it looks like my theme has completely changed by now. 

And how exactly would I change the effect without changing the functionality of the card. I'm terrible at this whole rulings thing.  
Wouldn't they have to exchange it for nothing if they played it on turn 1? "And up to one target land..." 

just don't word it as an exchange and you'll be fine. "When ~ enters the battlefield, target opponent gains control of it. If they do, you gain control of up to one target land that player controls."

you might also want an EtB tapped clause.

120.6. Some effects replace card draws.
If you're going to make the Gilded Drake of lands, it needs the clause: "If you don't make an exchange, sacrifice Dragonscrag Outpost. This ability can't be countered except by spells and abilities." Otherwise, if you play this turn one on the play, you keep it. Unless that was what you wanted. As for the card, I don't think there are enough broken lands to make this good outside of Vintage, and there only as hate for dredge. The idea is nice, though. Maybe if it tapped for two colorless instead, so you could use it to color-screw people.

EDH would use it for Gaea's Cradle, Serra's Sanctum, and the like.

Zedruu the Greathearted might use it.
139359831 wrote:
Clever deduction Watson! Maybe you can explain why Supergirl is trying to kill me.
---- Autocard is your friend. Lightning Bolt = Lightning Bolt

just don't word it as an exchange and you'll be fine. "When ~ enters the battlefield, target opponent gains control of it. If they do, you gain control of up to one target land that player controls."

you might also want an EtB tapped clause.

I updated it. Now it looks like the following: 

What does everybody think of the Land - Haunted idea? Does it sound like people would actually use the cards against others, or would it make this specific land too key? 

Also does this sound like a Common, Uncommon, Rare, or Mythic? To me, it feels a Uncommon/Rare (depending on space issues).  
Rare in a set that already has 10 duel land commons
This seems... really bad. I'm trying to imagine why I would play this and nothing is springing to mind. I don't know, maybe if I could grab one of the bouncelands from the original Ravnica? It would require a pretty specific format though. 
Coming Soon to the Magic: Expanded Multiverse: FRAGMENTS: A Shards of Alara Anthology
(Click through to view the cover and announcement page)Want to get your work in the Expanded Multiverse? Come join the project! Oh, and check out my blog, Storming the Ivory Tower: making sense of academia, media, and culture twice weekly.
What do you think of ravnica bouncelands at common as a reprint? (Obviously in a non-ravnica-related set, instead in a lands matter set). That would allow ETB effects of lands to be more important, and would provide a major "WOOO, HERE ARE SOME UBER LANDS IN EVERY PACK" type message to anybody who wants a pack  
That might work. I mean, I don't know a whole lot about limited so I'm not sure it would do what you want it to... but yeah, they would fit well in a lands matter set, and they would interact effectively with this card.

I just don't know that it would see play outside of that. Maybe constructed if the bouncelands were particularly prominent there for some reason.
Coming Soon to the Magic: Expanded Multiverse: FRAGMENTS: A Shards of Alara Anthology
(Click through to view the cover and announcement page)Want to get your work in the Expanded Multiverse? Come join the project! Oh, and check out my blog, Storming the Ivory Tower: making sense of academia, media, and culture twice weekly.
That might work. I mean, I don't know a whole lot about limited so I'm not sure it would do what you want it to... but yeah, they would fit well in a lands matter set, and they would interact effectively with this card.

I just don't know that it would see play outside of that. Maybe constructed if the bouncelands were particularly prominent there for some reason.

Bouncelands are always particularly prominent, are they not?

Bouncelands are always particularly prominent, are they not?

Definately not in standard (but I guess that could change if you print some more). I'm pretty sure the only place they see play is edh where the speed isn't a huge factor. In modern and legacy they are far too slow to see much play.