Evolve and creatures entering the battlefield

8 posts / 0 new
Last post
Hello there, 

I'm sorry if this has been answered, but I looked in the FAQ and did not find what I was looking for.

My question is;  does evolve trigger from a player activating their Simic Keyrune ? That is, does making that artifact into an artifact creature count as entering the battlefield?

Another one would be Hydroform, does this make evolve trigger?

thanks for the help.
No and no.
Hello there, 

I'm sorry if this has been answered, but I looked in the FAQ and did not find what I was looking for.

My question is;  does evolve trigger from a player activating their Simic Keyrune ? That is, does making that artifact into an artifact creature count as entering the battlefield?

No.  Its just changing what it looks like, it is not entering the battlefield again.

Another one would be Hydroform, does this make evolve trigger?

Also no.

If the Simic Keyrune is just entering the battlefield, and I have enough mana to change it to a creature, would that trigger at least the one evolve for that turn? So lets say I pay the 3 and then the GU (for a total of 5 mana as I cast it), it did just enter the battlefield, right? Or did it enter, then resolve, then become a creature in the next phase? Just curious.
and the same question to the hydroform, if I just laid the target land down this turn then cast Hydroform on it, would it cause evolve since it did just enter the battlefield?
If the Simic Keyrune is just entering the battlefield, and I have enough mana to change it to a creature, would that trigger at least the one evolve for that turn? So lets say I pay the 3 and then the GU (for a total of 5 mana as I cast it), it did just enter the battlefield, right? Or did it enter, then resolve, then become a creature in the next phase? Just curious.

It always enters the Field as an artifact, never as a creature-artifact. No Evolve trigger, ever.*
In fact, you can't even try to activate its ability until it gets down on the Field.

*of course, Magic being Magic, someone may find a way...

It's not Logic, it's Magic!

and the same question to the hydroform, if I just laid the target land down this turn then cast Hydroform on it, would it cause evolve since it did just enter the battlefield?

A Land entered the Field, and then was turned into a Creature-Land: no creature actually entered the Field, sorry.

It's not Logic, it's Magic!

*of course, Magic being Magic, someone may find a way... 

If March of the Machines is on the battlefield, then your Keyrunes will enter the battlefield as creatures and (possibly) cause Evolve to trigger.

"Proc" stands for "Programmed Random OCcurance". It does not even vaguely apply to anything Magic cards do. Don't use it.

Level 1 Judge as of 09/26/2013

Zammm = Batman

"Ability words are flavor text for Melvins." -- Fallingman