They Wasted A Perfectly Good Name, Round 2; Eaten by Spiders

91 posts / 0 new
Last post
Round 1: Touch of the Eternal, won by Chaos Light
Round 2: Eaten by Spiders

Sorry folks, I planned to do a new thread for each iteration of this so it would be easier to track and participate in.
If you'd all be so kind as to port your entries to this thread I'd be greatful.

Same rules apply as last time.
1. You have 2 days to enter
2. You can enter once, but are allowed to change your entry before I declare the round over. ALL ENTRIES AFTER THE CUTOFF WILL BE IGNORED FOR VOTING PURPOSES
3. You can design any kind of card you want, but it MUST be named

At the end of two days we begin the voting period
1. Voting lasts 2 days
2. Everyone gets 1 vote
3. You don't have to have entered the contest to vote in it.

at the end of the voting period, the entry with the most votes wins and that person may pick a new card for us to redesign.
Good luck!                 
Eaten by Spiders  
Intsant

You may place one 1/1 spider token with reach and wither onto the battlefield

Morbid - You may instead place three 1/1 spider tokens with reach and wither on the battlefield, if a creature has died this turn.

I freely admit the first entry is pretty good (except that Spiders should always have reach), but here's mine.  The title bespeaks using the Devour mechanic, but i decided to word it in such a way that the devour opponent would work in such a way that it'd be equal to the number of creatures that died to spiders.  I threw in the defender part so that it could cost a little less.  Yes, this card would work best in a Spider-only deck.   

Eaten By Spiders

Tribal Instant-Spider

Cast Eaten by Spiders only during your turn and only during combat.

Spider creatures you control gain deathtouch until end of turn.  Non-Spider creatures you control gain defender until end of turn. (They can't attack)

At the end of this phase, put a 0/2 Spider token on the battlefield with reach and a number of +1/+1 counters equal to the number of creatures that died this turn.

Eaten by Spiders -

Sorcery

Destroy target non-artifact creature. Put 3 1/2 green Spider creature tokens onto the battlefield.

Yes, this card would work best in a Spider-only deck.  

People make spider decks?

Eaten By Spiders 
Tribal Instant-Spider 

Cast Eaten by Spiders only during your combat phase.

Spider creatures you control gain deathtouch until end of turn.  Non-Spider creatures you control cannot attack.

At the end of this phase, put a 0/2 Spider token on the battlefield with reach and a number of +1/+1 counters equal to the number of creatures that died this turn.

Fixed some of the wording to not be so awkward.
Every possible tribal deck has been made by a certain brazillian named Vektor480. Literally.
Eaten by Spiders
Enchantment - Aura (U)
Enchant creature with flying
At the beginning of each upkeep, tap enchanted creature and put a 1/2 green Spider creature token with reach onto the battlefield.
When you control X or more Spiders, where X is enchanted creature's toughness, enchanted creature's controller sacrifices it.

IMAGE(http://steamsignature.com/status/default/76561197995631463.png) No longer a commander as of 7/29/13.

Eaten by Spiders

Enchantment
Rare
Whenever a non-token creature dies, put a hatchling counter on Eaten by Spiders, then put that many 1/2 green Spider creature tokens onto the battlefield.   
Eaten by Spiders
Instant
Exile up to one target creature and any number of target creature cards from graveyards. For each card exiled this way, put a 1/2 green Spider token with reach onto the battlefield.
From the last thread...
I made a card based around that flavor about a year ago...
Oldie but goodie:

Consumed by Spiders --
Instant (C)

As an additional cost to cast Consumed by Spiders, tap two untapped Spider creatures you control.
Destroy target attacking creature. At the beginning of the next end step put a 2/4 black and green Spider creature token with reach onto the battlefield.

Anything that walked into their territory became their dinner/host (a wierd twist being both, I know...). I will tweak it slightly keeping the concept similar.

Eaten by Spiders -- :BM::GM:
Instant (U)

You may cast Eaten by Spiders only if you control a Spider.
Destroy target attacking creature.
At the beginning of your next upkeep, put X 1/2 black and green Spider creature tokens with reach onto the battlefield, where X is that creatures toughness.
Official archnemesis of magicpablo666 Host of Reactionary Proud owner of "The Terrible Cube" The altimis Archive I'm baking lands!!! Beginner of GROMA
Notable Quotables:
58060728 wrote:
I carefully examine the walls of the room in a determined effort to not follow the GMs plot.
Eaten by Spiders -
Enchantment - Aura
Enchant creature
At the beginning of your upkeep, put a -1/-1 counter on enchanted creature.
When enchanted creature dies, put X 1/2 black Spider creature tokens with reach into play, where X  is the number of -1/-1 counters on it.
Most spiders spin an egg sac in which to hold their young.  Some, however, find the living make betters hosts.
Eaten by Spiders
Sorcery
Destroy all creatures with flying. For each creature destroyed this way, put a 1/2 green Spider creature token with reach onto the battlefield.
Every bug, bird, demon or dragon is caught in there neverending web. From each carcass grow more of their horde. 
Won a TPmanW contest with Demonic Arbitrator. (see below) My username is a simple continued fraction. Look it up. My favorite cards I've made:
Show
Æther Rider Creatuere - Spirit (U) Vanishing 0 (This permanent enters the battlefield with zero time counters on it. At the beginning of your upkeep, remove a time counter from it. When the last is removed, sacrifice it.) Flying : Put a time counter on ~. Any player may activate this ability. It comes on the wind, from realms unknown. 2/2 Kaldurian Behemoth Creature - Beast (R) Mana produced by lands may not be used to pay ~'s mana cost. Trample On Kalduria, the beasts are too good to eat common grass. 10/10 Demonic Arbitrator Sorcery Starting with you, each player may pay any amount of life. If any player paid life, repeat this process. If a player paid more life in total than any other, that player searches his or her library for a card and puts that card into his or her hand. Then that player shuffles his or her library. "Your sacrifice has been judged worthy. What power do you require?"

Eaten by Spiders
Enchantment
At the beginning of your upkeep, your life total becomes equal to the number of Spiders you control.
At the end of each endstep create a 1/2 Green Spider token with Reach.

"Within the web that they weave so well,
my mind will sing the song of hell,
and when eight legs crawl through my skin,
I will rejoice in their silky spin."
- Stanza 64, Liturgy of the Auburn Recluse
Eaten By Spiders
Sorcery
Destroy up to X creatures. For each creature destroyed this way, put a 1/1 green Spider token with reach onto the battlefield.
"Nom nom, yum yum, eat it, eat it up." -Arachnoid chant

All cards I make have artists credited in the appropriate places. Artist names in "quotes" are DeviantArt usernames unless otherwise mentioned.

"I play a Grave Betrayal. I get all your dead things now, mwahahahaha!"
"Okay. I play a Phage the Untouchable. Piss me off and I will sac it."
"... ... ... so guys, remind me again how to sac my own enchantments?"

Eaten By Spiders
Sorcery
Destroy up to X creatures. For each creature destroyed this way, put a 1/1 green Spider token with reach onto the battlefield.

What is X defined by?
Eaten By Spiders

Sorcery
As an additional cost to cast Eaten By Spiders, tap any nuber of untapped spider creatures you control
Exile target creature with flying.  For each spider tapped to cast Eaten by Spiders, exile another target creature.  For each creature exiled this way, put a 1/2 black and green spider token with reach onto the battlefield

(It's not a typo -- bonus targets for tapping spiders do NOT have to have flying)

"Enjoy your screams, Sarpadia - they will soon be muffled beneath snow and ice."
On Worldbuilding - On Crafting Aliens - Pillars of Art and Flavor - Simulationism, Narritivism, and Gamism - Shub-Niggurath in D&D
THE COALITION WAR GAME -Phyrexian Chief Praetor
Round 1: (4-1-2, 1 kill)
Round 2: (16-8-2, 4 kills)
Round 3: (18-9-2, 1 kill)
Round 4: (22-10-0, 2 kills)
Round 5: (56-16-3, 9 kills)
Round 6: (8-7-1)

Last Edited by Ralph on blank, 1920

Eaten By Spiders|

Sorcery [u]

Destroy all creatures with Flying. Put a 2/2 Spider cretaure token with Reach onto the battlefield for each creature destroyed this way.

"They've overrun us all! I cannot escape!" - Last words of an Insectile Aberration.
56544366 wrote:
If a card works well in Standard, does fun but not totally broken things in Modern, and gets stupid in Legacy, I call that designing for everyone's enjoyment.
Eaten by Spiders
Instant
Destroy target creature, that creature's controller puts X 1/1 green spider creature tokens with reach and deathtouch onto the battlefield, where X is that creatures power.
The spiders refuse to eat the skin of a victim, choosing instead to wait inside for their next meal.

Inspired by this gif 
Don't click if you hate spiders

Just kidding, I'm not thaty mean
"I think me going Bang bang bang I win is pretty intuitive" Mafia Record: Wouldn't you like to know? 2011 Mafia Awards - Mastermind of the Year
mymoment
\
57817638 wrote:
58060728 wrote:
88318561 wrote:
58060728 wrote:
Moriok Rigger does absolutely nothing to boost other riggers. You are incorrect.
Moriok Rigger is not a Rigger in print. Only in Errata WHAT NOW! (yes, I did put that phrase in for that exact reason)
Congratulations, they have activated your trap card!
Check out #10 on this list for some inspiration

nyxathidgoestotown.com/2013/01/05/top-10...
Eaten by Spiders
Enchantment- Aura
Enchant creature
Enchanted creature can't attack or block.
At the beginning of each upkeep, put a -1/-1 counter on enchanted creature.
When ~ is put into a graveyard from the battlefield, return ~ to its owner's hand.
Sometimes it's the smallest creatures that cause the most harm.
Every possible tribal deck has been made by a certain brazillian named Vektor480. Literally.

I made every possible tribal deck, but I did it all at once with only one deck.
Also, very dissapoointed that none of these spiders eat artifacts. The original card had so much flavour that way.
Eaten by Spiders
Enchantment (Rare)
, : Destroy target permanent with a web counter on it.
Tap an untapped Spider creature you control: Choose one--Put a web counter on target nonland permanent; or, untap ~.
"Don't have the courage inside me to tell you please let me be..." --No Doubt, Spiderwebs

Rules Advisor from 8-26-09 to 1-31-14 (haven't been able to attend any FNMs or prereleases for 18 months now, no sense maintaining RA status)
Joined the crowd and got an Avatar from zammm's Avatar Workshop on 5-6-2012

That "Dual Colors" personality test thing
IMAGE(http://stat.rumandmonkey.com/tests/1/6/5261/20806.jpg)

I am Black/Green

Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!

Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.

I am both selfish and instinctive. I value growth and community, as long as they favour my own objectives; I enjoy nature, and I particularly enjoy watching parts of nature die. At best, I am resilient and tenacious; at worst, I'm uncontrollable and destructive.

Oh, but wait, there were multiple answers that fit my thoughts to some questions. What colors did they say I was?

IMAGE(http://stat.rumandmonkey.com/tests/1/6/5261/20801.jpg)

I am Blue/Green

I am both rational and instinctive. I value self-knowledge and understanding of the world; my ultimate goal is self-improvement and improvement of the world around me. At best, I am focused and methodical; at worst, I am obsessive and amoral.

Now, I don't actually think Eaten by Spiders is a very good name.

Eaten by Spiders
Enchantment - Aura
Enchant tapped creature
If enchanted creature would untap, put a -1/-1 counter on it and create a green 1/2 spider creature token with reach instead.

Yxoque wrote:
This forum can't even ****ing self-destruct properly.

IMAGE(http://img.pokemondb.net/sprites/black-white/anim/normal/plusle.gif)

Eaten by Spiders 2gg
Tribal Sorcery - Spider
Destroy each creature with flying or destroy target non-creature permanent.
Don't be too smart to have fun
Eaten by Spiders
Sorcery
Put a 1/3 Spider creature token with reach into the battlefield. It fights target creature with flying you don't control.

Orzel, Halfelven son of Zel, Mystic Ranger, Bane to Dragons, Death to Undeath, Killer of Abyssals, King of the Wilds. Constitution Based Class for Next!

Also, very dissapoointed that none of these spiders eat artifacts. The original card had so much flavour that way.

Did it?  I never got that part of the card.  I just don't understand a spider swarm consuming hunks of metal.

Did it?  I never got that part of the card.  I just don't understand a spider swarm consuming hunks of metal.

They probably initially started out with the idea that something else was doing the eating, and that whatever it was was big enough to swallow equipment whole.

Rules Advisor from 8-26-09 to 1-31-14 (haven't been able to attend any FNMs or prereleases for 18 months now, no sense maintaining RA status)
Joined the crowd and got an Avatar from zammm's Avatar Workshop on 5-6-2012

That "Dual Colors" personality test thing
IMAGE(http://stat.rumandmonkey.com/tests/1/6/5261/20806.jpg)

I am Black/Green

I am both selfish and instinctive. I value growth and community, as long as they favour my own objectives; I enjoy nature, and I particularly enjoy watching parts of nature die. At best, I am resilient and tenacious; at worst, I'm uncontrollable and destructive.

Oh, but wait, there were multiple answers that fit my thoughts to some questions. What colors did they say I was?

IMAGE(http://stat.rumandmonkey.com/tests/1/6/5261/20801.jpg)

I am Blue/Green

I am both rational and instinctive. I value self-knowledge and understanding of the world; my ultimate goal is self-improvement and improvement of the world around me. At best, I am focused and methodical; at worst, I am obsessive and amoral.

Eaten by Spiders BG2
Sorcery
Destroy target creature. Then but X 1/2 green and black spider creature tokens with reach onto the battlefield where X is the destroyed creatures converted mana cost.
With silk as strong as steel, their webs are perfect to catch insects, birds,...drakes, whichever happens upon the nest first.
You are Red/Blue!
You are Red/Blue!
You are both rational and emotional. You value creation and discovery, and feel strongly about what I create. At best, you're innovative and intuitive. At worst, you're scattered and unpredictable.

They probably initially started out with the idea that something else was doing the eating, and that whatever it was was big enough to swallow equipment whole.

I kind of assumed that the equipment bit was a last minute addition to keep equipment in check (it was released in the set just after Scars block remember). either way the flavour is less than stellar.
Eaten by Spiders
Instant - Trap
If all creatures left the battlefield this turn and you cast no other spells this turn, you may pay rather than pay ~'s mana cost.
Put a 1/2 green spider creature token with deathtouch and reach onto the battlefield for each creature that left the battlefield this turn.   
Eaten by Spiders  
Enchantment--Curse
Enchant Player
At the end of each turn, put X 1/1 black spider creature tokens onto
the battlefield under your control, where X is the amount of life enchanted player
lost this turn. Then, if that player's life total is less than the number of spiders on
the battlefield, that player loses the game. 
Coming Soon to the Magic: Expanded Multiverse: FRAGMENTS: A Shards of Alara Anthology
(Click through to view the cover and announcement page)Want to get your work in the Expanded Multiverse? Come join the project! Oh, and check out my blog, Storming the Ivory Tower: making sense of academia, media, and culture twice weekly.
Eaten by Spiders

Sorcery

Destroy target creature. Put X 1/2 green Spider creature tokens with reach onto the battlefield, where X is that creature's toughness.

Imported from the last thread.
139359831 wrote:
Clever deduction Watson! Maybe you can explain why Supergirl is trying to kill me.
---- Autocard is your friend. Lightning Bolt = Lightning Bolt
Eaten By Spiders
Sorcery

What is X defined by?

Whoops, meant for there to be an X in the cost :P . Thanks! It's fixed now!

All cards I make have artists credited in the appropriate places. Artist names in "quotes" are DeviantArt usernames unless otherwise mentioned.

"I play a Grave Betrayal. I get all your dead things now, mwahahahaha!"
"Okay. I play a Phage the Untouchable. Piss me off and I will sac it."
"... ... ... so guys, remind me again how to sac my own enchantments?"

Changed my card from Instant to Sorcery... even an evasion-specific board wipe for 2GG is OP as an instant... let alone tacking on creatures.

Most board wipes are White or variants if not timeshifted. Green hates flying.

This excludes Red mass-destruction, of course.
56544366 wrote:
If a card works well in Standard, does fun but not totally broken things in Modern, and gets stupid in Legacy, I call that designing for everyone's enjoyment.
Eaten by Spiders |
Enchantment
Sacrifice a non-token creature you control : Put 1+X 2/2 green spider creature tokens into play, where X is the number of spiders you control.
More for the brood.

I kind of assumed that the equipment bit was a last minute addition to keep equipment in check (it was released in the set just after Scars block remember). either way the flavour is less than stellar.

Could've been Eaten by Wurms, except for the art of course. But then changed it to something less confusing for older players... I dunno. I never got the equipment flavor either. A single spider rarely eats something whole, and multiple spiders would more-than-likely avoid any sharp-pointy, or difficult-to-crunch objects.
Official archnemesis of magicpablo666 Host of Reactionary Proud owner of "The Terrible Cube" The altimis Archive I'm baking lands!!! Beginner of GROMA
Notable Quotables:
58060728 wrote:
I carefully examine the walls of the room in a determined effort to not follow the GMs plot.
Eaten by Spiders |
Enchantment
Sacrifice a creature you control : Put 1+X 2/2 green spider creature tokens into play, where X is the number of spiders you control.
More for the brood.

Goes infinite with itself just by controlling two creatures.
Eaten by Spiders |
Enchantment
Sacrifice a creature you control : Put 1+X 2/2 green spider creature tokens into play, where X is the number of spiders you control.
More for the brood.

Goes infinite with itself just by controlling two creatures.

thanks for the heads up

Eaten By Spiders
Sorcery
Put two 1/2 green and black spider creature tokens with deathtouch and reach onto the battlefield. Then each of those tokens fights another target creature.

Most board wipes are White or variants if not timeshifted.

Pestilence Demon, Magmaquake, and Black Sun's Zenith say hi.

Green hates flying.

Managed to pick the lamest cards in the lamest part of the color pie. Nice.

139359831 wrote:
Clever deduction Watson! Maybe you can explain why Supergirl is trying to kill me.
---- Autocard is your friend. Lightning Bolt = Lightning Bolt
Eaten By Spiders
Enchantment - Aura
Enchant creature
Enchanted creature can't attack or block and gains "At the beginning of your upkeep put a -1/-1 counter on enchanted creature."
When enchanted creature dies, create X 1/1 black spider creature tokens where X is equal to the number of -1/-1 counters on enchanted creature.

Quotes: 

Show
magicpablo666 wrote:
These cards are Ball Tightening.
I_forget_who_dammit wrote:
Perfect originality is overrated and often ugly. The best and most beautiful cards I've ever seen were clearly inspired by something else. Cards are not entirely unlike living organisms in this regard. All the good ones are a result of long evolution; the 'original' ones are either monocellular or mutant aberrations.
ColonialDragons wrote:
The weird part is reaching over the table, grabbing a card from their hand, and just staring slowly back at them, awkwardly, as you slide their voice of resurgence slowly into your pants.
magicpablo666 wrote:
Graveborn are strictly better than Zombies. I mean, look at that wicked beard. You try growing that when your dead. And I know aging fellows who are suffering from Male Pattern Baldness, who would kill for a Mop like Ribsy's over there.
magicpablo666 wrote:
Hey Dudibus, I can't take you seriously until you take your shirt off!
cats_and_me wrote:
I'm just stating what I think is their opinion! :/