Session Report

For the first time we had a Halfling and the first Rogue since the class was altered. He decided to be an Assassin. Other players were Fighter and Cleric (Lighbringer).

The party continued assaulting a cave full of kobolds, eventually wiping out the entire clan but nearly all dying in the process.

The Rogue was able to find a lot of good hiding places and attempt assassination a few times. Assassinate is a great rogue talent, much better than Sneak Attack in my opinion. Lightfoot Halflings' ability to hide behind medium creatures helped with this.

The Fighter was at a loss against the winged kobolds who kept dropping rock bombs on her from just out of reach, so she started picking up the rocks and throwing them right back. I couldn't find any penalty for improvised weapons, so this was very effective. She rolled a natural 1 and dropped her maul off of a cliff, so later she started picking up the dead kobolds and using them as a weapon instead.

The Cleric made short work of most of the flying kobolds with his amazing laser beam (that really does not need an ability bonus to damage, cantrips are good enough!).

The only trouble was the kobold alchemists, who used an effective combination of the glue bomb and the fire bomb to knock both the Fighter and Cleric unconscious. Luckily the Rogue was able to sneak over, loot two healing potions from the Cleric's backpack and save the day.

The two encounters they fought contained many, many kobolds. The first was an average encounter and was breezed through with no difficulty. The second was a tough encounter and nearly resulted in a TPK. Encounter building needs some work.

Also worth noting, after that long crusade obliterating an entire clan off the face of the Earth, the level 2 party is still not even halfway to level 3. It only took one session to reach level 2, but the next level seems like it will never come, that needs some work.
Cool stuff.  I love the improvised weapons.   I had a similar experience in one of my game sessions.   The players were facing an gray ooze so they didn't want to use their weapons.   The rogue used a rock in his sling instead of sling bullets (he's also cheap).   The rules say that all PCs can use improvised weapons, but I don't think they get their class based weapon bonus to using it.   This makes it unclear whether they should be allowed to use their MDD with an improvised weapon.   It doesn't seem like they should be able to use the MDD, but I let the rogue have the MDD since he use the rock in his sling (which he was proficient with).    What if a fighter picks up a large rock and throws it down on a creature?  Does he get MDD?  Not clear.

Also, at first level, the Cleric's Lance of Faith and Wizard's Ray of Frost are good, but as monsters gain hit points, they seem to be less useful spells especially when a 3rd level fighter or rogue can do 1d8+3(or 4)+2d6 on every attack.   I think they need to add ability bonuses just to keep closer to the martials for levels 1-5.  

Keep playing and reporting. 

A Brave Knight of WTF

Rhenny's Blog:  http://community.wizards.com/user/1497701/blog

I'd much rather they lower the martial damage dice instead of increasing damage across the board. It's so strange right now, we have bounded accuracy but inflated damage.
I'd much rather they lower the martial damage dice instead of increasing damage across the board. It's so strange right now, we have bounded accuracy but inflated damage.

I agree.

A Brave Knight of WTF

Rhenny's Blog:  http://community.wizards.com/user/1497701/blog

Cool stuff.  I love the improvised weapons.   I had a similar experience in one of my game sessions.   The players were facing an gray ooze so they didn't want to use their weapons.   The rogue used a rock in his sling instead of sling bullets (he's also cheap).   The rules say that all PCs can use improvised weapons, but I don't think they get their class based weapon bonus to using it.   This makes it unclear whether they should be allowed to use their MDD with an improvised weapon.   It doesn't seem like they should be able to use the MDD, but I let the rogue have the MDD since he use the rock in his sling (which he was proficient with).    What if a fighter picks up a large rock and throws it down on a creature?  Does he get MDD?  Not clear.

Also, at first level, the Cleric's Lance of Faith and Wizard's Ray of Frost are good, but as monsters gain hit points, they seem to be less useful spells especially when a 3rd level fighter or rogue can do 1d8+3(or 4)+2d6 on every attack.   I think they need to add ability bonuses just to keep closer to the martials for levels 1-5.  

Keep playing and reporting. 

I absolutley love the improvised weapons, in our games improvised weapons are used at a disadvantage unless you take the "Improvised Combat" feat. There's nothing quite like the parties fighter picking up an iron grate and smashing and ramming his enemies with it.
8.8 My House Rules! (roll the d20) *click to roll*8.8