What to sell now?

69 posts / 0 new
Last post
Just got my gtc in the mail today. Aside from some shocks, I pulled Aurelia's fury, Aurelia, Duskmantle dudeface, and some other junk. Anyone predict these will rise in price? Also what other rares should I watch the prices of (I don't plan on listing my other 30 something rares)? I may just sell all my rares and buy another box, or the components for a deck. If only I could decide what deck to build.
Aurelia's Fury is going down. Look at the last set, no mythic is worth that much money. Ship that right now. I would say basically sell any rare that is worth a lot of money if you don't plan on playing it. There is already a huge flood hitting the market but since we have no idea what the demand is for standard yet supply hasn't really been effected yet. You might want to wait a little bit to see how things will change. 
Sell fury and seer before people realize that they're ****.

Then buy some tibalts. 

Why does everyone think I'm phantom lancer? QFT:

Show
139359831 wrote:
I hope all this helps you to see things in a greater light—and understand that Magic: the Gathering was really created by extraterrestials using Richard Garfield as a medium. The game itself reflects the socio-psycho realtivity between living beings, and the science that takes precedence over them—to define reality for them all (like telekinesis, weather, scientific reaction, phenomenon, ingenuity, how the brain works, etc.). I'd also bet there is an entity floating thousands of miles above us, looking down on the current state of game, shaking its fist like... "Wtf are you doing?! You're getting it all screwed up!". Awkward—to be evolved, and yet still subject to the ladder that is the concepts of the game. In this case, misconception, corruption, and deception. With the realities of each color becoming distorted (through oblivious designers), leading the game to reflect a false state of reality that warps the understanding that other people have about those things. For example, people thinking that white could be anything except pure good. This shouldn't be too far off though, I mean...Magic is designed based on reality after all, so that entity (those entities) should be subject to those things. Anyways, I guess when you're busy doing space stuff you can't always be around to ensure quality control. It's no wonder they choose Garfield, they're so much alike; that's exactly what happened to him and Magic.
166199665 wrote:
omg snortng so much febbdelicious /intocixated in rl
>Sell aurelia, fury, duskmantle, and some other junk
>Buy 50 pack rats
>???
>Profit 

IMAGE(http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/5.jpg)

On duskmantle seer:
An esper spirits aggro-midrange deck with a semi-low curve and lifegain from ghost council top8'd the first scgo of the season.  I initially wasn't sure that such a deck would exist, which was a big reason why I didn't like duskmantle seer.  As it turns out, my worries were unfounded.  The deck top8'd, running a grand total of zero duskmantle seers.

EDIT:  I didn't check the sideboard before making this post.  It didn't have any seers either. 

Show
139359831 wrote:
I hope all this helps you to see things in a greater light—and understand that Magic: the Gathering was really created by extraterrestials using Richard Garfield as a medium. The game itself reflects the socio-psycho realtivity between living beings, and the science that takes precedence over them—to define reality for them all (like telekinesis, weather, scientific reaction, phenomenon, ingenuity, how the brain works, etc.). I'd also bet there is an entity floating thousands of miles above us, looking down on the current state of game, shaking its fist like... "Wtf are you doing?! You're getting it all screwed up!". Awkward—to be evolved, and yet still subject to the ladder that is the concepts of the game. In this case, misconception, corruption, and deception. With the realities of each color becoming distorted (through oblivious designers), leading the game to reflect a false state of reality that warps the understanding that other people have about those things. For example, people thinking that white could be anything except pure good. This shouldn't be too far off though, I mean...Magic is designed based on reality after all, so that entity (those entities) should be subject to those things. Anyways, I guess when you're busy doing space stuff you can't always be around to ensure quality control. It's no wonder they choose Garfield, they're so much alike; that's exactly what happened to him and Magic.
166199665 wrote:
Yeah ill just sell while the hype is up and spend it on some kinda budget monstrosity.
I'd only confidently sell the Fury.
Slave of Tibalt. Currently trading for foils of my bro. PM me. Tarmogoyf on Twitter. Follow me. Team GFG Guns, Fame, Glory Those that require a sig for the ego simply haven't had enough kind words thrown his or her way. Currently looking for prerelease Plains! People who have mailed me rares:
Show
Malpheas: THANK YOU FOR THE FOIL TIBALT, YOU BEAUTIFUL GUY, YOU! Suudsu2200: Armageddon! Sèance, Dominating Licid, Words of War, Gaea's Anthem, Momentous Fall, Nyxathid PM me to make it happen. Your username will end up here, as the cards you sent me. I reserve the right to order your usernames by the cards I liked the best. Oh, and if you send me some Islands in the package, I'll sign them and mail them back.
I'm shocked more decks didn't play the Fury this weekend. Also surprised there wasn't a GRW x spell deck

Also, you should try and find some schmuck that doesn't know better and trade your Fury for a Bonfire.

(at)MrEnglish22

Whenever you shake up standard, it doesn't actually take for at least two weeks. Give the brewers a chance to work some. We should see new decks soon.
IMAGE(http://images.community.wizards.com/community.wizards.com/user/blitzschnell/0a90721d221e50e5755af156c179fe51.jpg?v=90000)
Fury is bad. Get rid of it. I'm also pretty confident saying that Aurelia will not stay at $25. She's not a 4-of mythic. Heck, I don't think she's even a 3-of mythic.

IMAGE(http://i1101.photobucket.com/albums/g424/syreal94/SIGS1AL.png) Sig by zpikduM.

Gatecrash is a tough nut to crack.  It seems like there is a lot of potential for decks that go in new directions.  Looking over the SCGO lists, it looks like pretty much everybody picked one or two cards (with the exception of new shocklands) and dropped them into existing decks.  I bought a box on Saturday, and I really can't make up my mind what to sell.  I'm leaning toward dumping everything Dimir since it is the hardest to see wanting to play, but I'll give it time.  I unloaded Bonfires at $25, and then wished I still had them.  I did pull an Aurelia's Fury.  I agree that it is way overpriced.  However, it does seem good and my plan to start out is to run a Boros humans deck.  So, I think I'll hang onto it.  The ability to either do a mass tapout or do damage to the face seems pretty sweet. 
Conflicting advice ahhhhhhhhhhh x_x
Domri Rade; keep or sell?
I think Domri Rade is a good planeswalker in the right decks. If you plan on playing GR/x creature decks keep him. If not Sell him. 
Regardless Domri, seems to be the real deal.  
Blue White CONTROL
I'm shocked more decks didn't play the Fury this weekend.

I think it's because people don't want to play bad cards in their decks. 
To clarify my advice: I think Fury is worth 20-25, but selling at 30 wouldn't be a bad deal.
Domri Rade is a sell at 25, I'd say. 20 is what I consider his actual value.
But, instead of selling, you should be getting 10 dollar shock lands.

(at)MrEnglish22

To clarify my advice: I think Fury is worth 20-25, but selling at 30 wouldn't be a bad deal.

Fury is a $12 mythic rare, just like Angel of Serenity. It doesn't fit in every deck and you'll never need 4. 

Fury is a $12 mythic rare, just like Angel of Serenity. It doesn't fit in every deck and you'll never need 4. 

Fury is a $20 mythic rare, like Revelations. It doesn't fit in every deck, and you don't always want 4 of them, but the card is sheer winner's power.

(at)MrEnglish22

Frankly, I'm curious to see what will happen with Prime Speaker. She's a casual hit with serious constructed potential, but saw nothing at the Open this weekend.

(at)MrEnglish22

Fury is a $20 mythic rare, like Revelations. It doesn't fit in every deck, and you don't always want 4 of them, but the card is sheer winner's power.

Fury is negative CA in the vast majority of situations. This comparison is absolutely atrocious.

Also: LOL at the use of SCG prices. You people are hilarious. 

IMAGE(http://i1101.photobucket.com/albums/g424/syreal94/SIGS1AL.png) Sig by zpikduM.

Sell everything you're not going to use. Almost every single card goes down in price from what it starts at. The only cards that retain their value or go up are tournament staples (thundermaw hellkite, deathrite shaman, sphinx's revelations).

"This list much made Niche barf a lil' in his mouth, so I can be proud of that." -rstnme

Fury is a $20 mythic rare, like Revelations.

lolwut

Sphinx's blew up because the last standard got pushed into playing battlecruiser Magic, so getting to Stroke yourself was a legitimate way to win because most of your opponents weren't doing anything tempo oriented (and those that were got bullied by Healer, Tusk etc)- the life from Rev is just an extra push to put Midrange and tripped Aggro decks over the cliff. There's no way that it's going to float around the $20 mark for much longer.

Also, Aurelia's is a collection of gravy abilities, and while I think they add up- it isn't the counter or gamebreaker that it's made out to be
IMAGE(http://i998.photobucket.com/albums/af108/acatan/sigwynzermancopy.png) Signature by IMAGE(http://www.poke-amph.com/heartgoldsoulsilver/sprites/258.png)

Fury is a $20 mythic rare, like Revelations.

getting to Stroke yourself was a legitimate way to win

lololololololololololol

I really don't see any cards from ctc being in the $20 range, none of them seem like there that high on the power curve. I'd say domri and master biomancer are the only cards I expect there prices to shift up just due to niche power. Aurlis fury is going to flow around $10-15 IMO, its a good card but a 2 of and only in some decks like w/u/r control.

Fury is negative CA in the vast majority of situations. This comparison is absolutely atrocious.

Also: LOL at the use of SCG prices. You people are hilarious. 

When talking about pricing trends, it doesn't matter what you use. SCG is the best baseline for prices, even if it is a little inflated. TCG Player doesn't ignore outliers when creating its mid-price, which kind of makes it pointless as an aggregate to determine something's actual value.

lolwut

Sphinx's blew up because the last standard got pushed into playing battlecruiser Magic, so getting to Stroke yourself was a legitimate way to win because most of your opponents weren't doing anything tempo oriented (and those that were got bullied by Healer, Tusk etc)- the life from Rev is just an extra push to put Midrange and tripped Aggro decks over the cliff. There's no way that it's going to float around the $20 mark for much longer.

Also, Aurelia's is a collection of gravy abilities, and while I think they add up- it isn't the counter or gamebreaker that it's made out to be

This is a fair analysis, but I still think that Aurelia's Fury is going to settle into a position that Revelations was in with RTR- it was a powerhouse that was format defining. Fury is to aggro decks what Sphinx's Revelations is for control decks.

(at)MrEnglish22

Scg is not a good baseline to use unless you want to get wrecked on trade value over and over again.

That said, fury is too much mana for aggro decks. It's not good at what it's supposed to do.

Scg is not a good baseline to use unless you want to get wrecked on trade value over and over again.

That said, fury is too much mana for aggro decks. It's not good at what it's supposed to do.

Fury does make for a good finisher in an aggro deck. It can also clear out little blockers to keep you swinging. I can see it getting some use in aggro decks, but I really see it being better off in a w/u/r control deck.
Scg is not a good baseline to use unless you want to get wrecked on trade value over and over again. That said, fury is too much mana for aggro decks. It's not good at what it's supposed to do.

Get wrecked on trade value on what? Everything is overpriced on the site. Its the best site to use when trading commons/uncommons away.

I also understand the concept of using different sites when trading. But when you are on a forum its best to just use SCG because its a large provided which a lot of places base their prices off of.

(at)MrEnglish22

Thanks everyone.
Scg is not a good baseline to use unless you want to get wrecked on trade value over and over again. That said, fury is too much mana for aggro decks. It's not good at what it's supposed to do.

Get wrecked on trade value on what? Everything is overpriced on the site. Its the best site to use when trading commons/uncommons away.

I also understand the concept of using different sites when trading. But when you are on a forum its best to just use SCG because its a large provided which a lot of places base their prices off of.

Well here's my primary issue with using SCG prices: massive overvalue on mythics. I mean, it's great if I have stuff to dump and some poor schmuck wants to use it, but I'd never use it when looking to get them. That, and as you said, stupidly large overpricing of commons/uncommons.

Well here's my primary issue with using SCG prices: massive overvalue on mythics. I mean, it's great if I have stuff to dump and some poor schmuck wants to use it, but I'd never use it when looking to get them. That, and as you said, stupidly large overpricing of commons/uncommons.

They overvalue everything. But they also have the ability to price things at what they want  and force other places to follow (to an extent) and don't have to worry about getting undercutted for the large part.
This makes their prices more stable, and helps you to gauge things easier. Reasons to use something as a baseline.

The only C/UC that are valued above 25 cents are things that see heavy heavy casual play or are played heavily in tournaments.
Mythics have got a basement on their website of 1-3 dollars which depends on the cards.

The only time I use SCG is when I have things I know I will get a better value on when compared to TCG or whatever. Which is mostly standard cards. yes, I'm a card shark. No, I'm not ashamed.

(at)MrEnglish22

Aurelia's Fury is a very versatile card, but it's also very inefficient. It's effect is weak for the mana you put into it. If you're using it to tap creatures it's inefficient compared to blusterquall, Downpour, Feeling of Dread, etc. If you're using it as a burn spell it's inefficient compared to lots of spells. Let say Comet Storm even though it isn't standard legal. Comet storm is a lot more efficient. 

My feeling is that even very versatile cards still have to be mana efficient. Examples being Phyrexian Metamorph, Cryptic Command, Umezawa's Jitte,Deathrite Shaman and boros charm.  You can have great cards that are efficient without being versatile. You can have great cards that are efficient and versatile. But I'm less confident about versatile cards that aren't efficient.

"This list much made Niche barf a lil' in his mouth, so I can be proud of that." -rstnme

Price stability in MtG is a fantasy.

Aurelia's Fury is a very versatile card, but it's also very inefficient. It's effect is weak for the mana you put into it. If you're using it to tap creatures it's inefficient compared to blusterquall, Downpour, Feeling of Dread, etc. If you're using it as a burn spell it's inefficient compared to lots of spells. Let say Comet Storm even though it isn't standard legal. Comet storm is a lot more efficient. 

My feeling is that even very versatile cards still have to be mana efficient. Examples being Phyrexian Metamorph, Cryptic Command, Umezawa's Jitte,Deathrite Shaman and boros charm.  You can have great cards that are efficient without being versatile. You can have great cards that are efficient and versatile. But I'm less confident about versatile cards that aren't efficient.

Your examples of versitle cards that are mana efficient are rediculous. Metamorph is the most powerful clone creature ever printed (and doubles as a shaping steel), Cryptic is the most constructed powerful of a cycle of cards where every card saw tournament play, Jitte is banned in Modern (if you don't consider this an unfair card to compare Fury to, all hope is lost), and Deathrite Shaman is the most powerful one drop creature to ever be printed. I dare you to try and name a better one-drop.

(at)MrEnglish22

Disciple, Lackey

Disciple, Lackey

Arguably delver too.

Show
139359831 wrote:
166199665 wrote:
I was just naming examples of good versatile cards off the top of my head. I wasn't really comparing any of them to aurelia's fury in terms of power. I wanted to show versatility + efficiency on the same card = obviously strong card.  Sorry if my examples were a bit extreme, I would have used less powerful cards that demonstrated my point if I thought of them.  Stuff like might have been better.

Disciple, Lackey

Brain is drawing a blank on what Disciple is, but I'm pretty sure Lackey is only good because of the goblins around it. If it let you put a homarid, for example, in play it'd be terrible. What I mean to say is that Lackey is situational, where Deathrite isn't

Just searched gatherer for the cards with Disciple in their name, I assume you're talking about Disciple of the Vault. Does Legacy Affinity even play it still? This is a serious question, as nobody I know really plays affinity in Legacy.

Disciple, Lackey

Arguably delver too.

This is the one I would argue for more, but still think you get more mileage out of Deathrite. Mana dork early game, mid game life buffer, late game reach all in one dude. Delver gives you a solid 1 mana 3 power flier in a color that normally plays a lot of instants anyway.

(at)MrEnglish22

I was just naming examples of good versatile cards off the top of my head. I wasn't really comparing any of them to aurelia's fury in terms of power. I wanted to show versatility + efficiency on the same card = obviously strong card.  Sorry if my examples were a bit extreme, I would have used less powerful cards that demonstrated my point if I thought of them.  Stuff like might have been better.

Except Jaya is terrible.
Seriously, if this were a volcanic geyser with silence attached, how often would we talk about it? I imagine we would be giving it more credit than we are now. People are too focused on this cards versatility to just point out its sheer power.

(at)MrEnglish22

Was comet storm ever good?
SHUT UP ANUBUSS YES IT WAS TERRIBLE
Yeah, the problem with this card is that XCC spells belong in decks with high curves, and silence and tap effects are better in aggro decks.  The abilities are kinda like putting a scope on a shotgun:  ordinarily it would be helpful, but on this specific card, they just seem useless.

TLDR this isn't better than comet storm and comet storm was bad.  I see no reason why it should be better in this format (where everything has removal resistance and no high-end deck really exists).

Show
139359831 wrote:
166199665 wrote:
Aurelia's Fury is a great card! It has many selling points when trading to someone for a playable card...

Nevertheless, if I were playing a WRx deck, I would consider having exactly 1 Fury since it's a good topdeck in many situations:

- Opponent is still alive due to their blockers

- Opponent is at a low life total but you don't have any more creatures

- Opponent might draw a Miracle the following turn as their only out

Boros Charm > Aurelia's Fury in many of these and other spots, so I would likely only run a Fury if I'm already playing 4 Charm.

Duskmantle Seer is a great card...the Esper Spirit deck didn't play it and that's the only deck it can go in? Uh...no? Duskmantle Seer will make its own deck...and if it doesn't, I will make a deck for it regardless of how much others want to use it: Someone has to win with it first!