Explaining Evolve

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
While Building my Simic deck a though occured to me, the effects for Evolve state that when a creature with a higher strength or toughness enter the field the creature with evolve gains a +1+1 counter. The thought that i had was would a creature gain two counters if both the strength and toughness were lower then the creature played? For example if cloudfin raptor is in play with zero counters would it get 2 +1+1 counters when a Centaur Healer entered? Also on the Salvation Wiki is says something about the effect resolving then activating agin if the creature with evolve is still lower than the one played. any help figuring this out would be apreciated. 
When comparing the stats as the evolve ability resolves, it's possible that the stat that's greater changes from power to toughness or vice versa. If this happens, the ability will still resolve and you'll put a +1/+1 counter on the creature with evolve. For example, if you control a 2/2 creature with evolve and a 1/3 creature enters the battlefield under your control, it toughness is greater so evolve will trigger. In response, the 1/3 creature gets +2/-2. When the evolve trigger tries to resolve, its power is greater. You'll put a +1/+1 counter on the creature with evolve"
from the wiki 
For example if cloudfin raptor is in play with zero counters would it get 2 +1+1 counters when a Centaur Healer entered?

No. The ability can trigger at most one time per creature entering the battlefield.
Also on the Salvation Wiki is says something about the effect resolving then activating agin if the creature with evolve is still lower than the one played.

For evolve to do anything, the intervening-'if'-clause has to still be true on resolution. That comment on the salvation wiki is pointing out that its ok if the 'if'-clause is true in a different way than it used to be.
While Building my Simic deck a though occured to me, the effects for Evolve state that when a creature with a higher strength or toughness enter the field the creature with evolve gains a +1+1 counter. The thought that i had was would a creature gain two counters if both the strength and toughness were lower then the creature played?

No.  You get one counter if either one is higher.

For example if cloudfin raptor is in play with zero counters would it get 2 +1+1 counters when a Centaur Healer entered? Also on the Salvation Wiki is says something about the effect resolving then activating agin if the creature with evolve is still lower than the one played. any help figuring this out would be apreciated. 
When comparing the stats as the evolve ability resolves, it's possible that the stat that's greater changes from power to toughness or vice versa. If this happens, the ability will still resolve and you'll put a +1/+1 counter on the creature with evolve. For example, if you control a 2/2 creature with evolve and a 1/3 creature enters the battlefield under your control, it toughness is greater so evolve will trigger. In response, the 1/3 creature gets +2/-2. When the evolve trigger tries to resolve, its power is greater. You'll put a +1/+1 counter on the creature with evolve"
from the wiki 

That's just saying that it does the comparison again when the ability tries to resolve.  If the either P/T is still higher than you get the counter.

Thank you both for helping me resolve this issue and preventing me from ruining a game.