Guttersnizzet

26 posts / 0 new
Last post
I would take out the thunderous wraths and replace them with searing spear, wrath is too unpredictable and if your get it in your opening hand its a dead card, spear is just more reliable; also I would consider adding augur of bolas  in a spell based deck like this he can be invaluable because he allows you to look through your library while being a 1/3 blocker. talrand's invocation  is not really worth it 4 mana for 2 2/2 fliers isn't all that great, I would suggest replacing them with something simple and doesn't cost a lot like unsummon; if your use unsummon  in conjunction with augur of bolas  you can do some really stupid shinanigans with him.

lets say that the other guy attacks you with an 8/8 trampling monster and you have augur of bolas  on the field, if you block with augur then cast unsummon  before the damage is dealt none of the damage will go through because officially he never dealt damage to your blocker, but he was blocked; after that you can resummon augur of bolas  and get another spell, this combo gets more stupid with peel from reality.

also teleportal  probably isn't going to be that good in this deck because honestly your not going to have a lot of creatures to abuse it with and the 2/2 tokens you get from talrand, sky summoner  already have flying so getting through the enemy line isn't going to be an issue.

I would also consider adding one of the specialty lands Desolate Lighthouse, if you run out of steam and you need card draw it can help cycle through your deck, not a good land but it can help in a pinch.
Invisible Stalker, Madcap skills is a nasty cheap combo.

Skullcrack this is a MUST in my opinion.

Scorchwalker is also a nice card for it's bloodrush effect.

You could also run more goblins too...  like Krenko, Mob Boss.....

Hands of Binding and Last Thoughts are some need tricks you could run to keep something locked down, or have card draw.  
I am White/Black
I really want this to be a Guttersnipe/Talrand deck at the core so keep that in mind when making suggestions. That being said, Cipher seems really cool because I'm pretty sure that casting the ciphered spells would be more triggers off of Guttersnipe/Talrand, so that's definitely something I should try to work in here. The question becomes, then, am I still in Izzet, or should I splash black and be in Grixis?
Oh ****! That's evil.  I didn't even thinking of a Grixilsnipe deck. OOOOOOH the possibilites.

Pretty much CHEAP spells are amazing with Guttersnipe,  so use as many cheap (but effective) spells with him so you can just rack up damage.

Be wary though, since Guttersnipe is VERY fragile, only being a 2/2  and what not. 
I am White/Black
Grixilsnipe... awesome name. I think it could be a fun deck, I'll post in a few hours after I've mulled over some potential cards. I'm thinking this could get fun!
You could check out the Gatherer website,  and for your search parameters make sure its the standard sets Innistrad-Gatecrash,  then put in  what colors you're looking for. I'm sure there a ton of creatures/spells that would go along with guttersnipe.
I am White/Black
Cipher is definitely in, so I think Invisible stalker has to be in as a reliable target to get those free spells going and the triggers coming. Are there any other reliable Cipher targets that are difficult to remove?
Dimir Keyrune.  It's the other best target for Ciphers. Because it is immune to the things that destroy Invisible Stalker.  Terminus and Supreme Verdict.

That, and the ciphers will still stay on the Keyrune, even when it's dormant.

Edit: I meant Keyrune!! Not the charm! Oops. 
I am White/Black
Good call, the wheels are turning...
Grixil fo shizzle.  Gain access to duress and appetite for brains to help disrupt your opponent, devour flesh to keep the field clear and don't laugh, bump in the night.  Keep your counter magic to protect the snipes.
Next thing you will tell me Browbeat is bad.
I really want this to be a Guttersnipe/Talrand deck at the core so keep that in mind when making suggestions. That being said, Cipher seems really cool because I'm pretty sure that casting the ciphered spells would be more triggers off of Guttersnipe/Talrand, so that's definitely something I should try to work in here. The question becomes, then, am I still in Izzet, or should I splash black and be in Grixis?

well, I tried to do the multiquote but it did not work so anyone else that said somthing about grixsnipe deck this is a link to one im already working on.

community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/758...

The mana curve for this deck looks super clunky, with 18 cards at the 3 and over spot (not counting thunderous wrath, since you want to be casting it for 1 anyway). You either need to lean the curve and make this an aggro/ burn/ tempo style deck, or add counters and make this a control deck. If you have your heart set on talrand, I'd recommend the latter. As is, you roll over and die to burn/ esper/ midrange/ anything that flips a bonfire of the damned

lets say that the other guy attacks you with an 8/8 trampling monster and you have augur of bolas  on the field, if you block with augur then cast unsummon  before the damage is dealt none of the damage will go through because officially he never dealt damage to your blocker, but he was blocked; after that you can resummon augur of bolas  and get another spell, this combo gets more stupid with peel from reality.

If the creature has trample, then all of the dmg will go to you.  This only works if the creature doesn't have trample.

The mana curve for this deck looks super clunky, with 18 cards at the 3 and over spot (not counting thunderous wrath, since you want to be casting it for 1 anyway). You either need to lean the curve and make this an aggro/ burn/ tempo style deck, or add counters and make this a control deck. If you have your heart set on talrand, I'd recommend the latter. As is, you roll over and die to burn/ esper/ midrange/ anything that flips a bonfire of the damned

@PandamanX64: I am a lurker mostly, but I have seen several of your posts; always good information and good advice. Thanks for the input.

Moving on from the original decklist, though, is there a Grixis deck here with Guttersnipe at its core? Or will I eventually end up playing Dimir Mill with a splash of red removal? Thoughts?
I made a rough list last night, didnt have connection to internet so couldnt use gatherer. I smacked the **** out of my friends GW life deck (not the best deck ever though) 

Remember its rough and needs tweaking, it was just a quick list. But casting Shadow Slice on Guttersnipe and hit for 12 in 1 turn was quite fun!
I made a rough list last night, didnt have connection to internet so couldnt use gatherer. I smacked the **** out of my friends GW life deck (not the best deck ever though) 

Shadow Slice

Remember its rough and needs tweaking, it was just a quick list. But casting Shadow Slice on Guttersnipe and hit for 12 in 1 turn was quite fun!

With the shadow slice, the cipher ability only triggers off of combat damage so by playing another spell and causing the snipe to ping for 2 doesn't actually count as combat damage so therefore it wouldn't trigger the shadow slice attached to it.  Combat damage is the actual act of tapping and attacking with a creature not using one of their abilities that causes damage outside of your combat step. That would be great if it did work that way though because hitting for 5 a few times on your opponents turn just by playing a few instants and then finishing them off by using a sorcery or instant on your turn would just be fun.
I know, I meant you're throwing Shadowslice with Guttersnipe in play thats 5 damage, then cipher it to Gutter and tap and attack thats 5 + 2 combat damage 5+5+2=12
I've been busy, so it'll be a few days before I put this thing together; I can't wait to see how it does.
I know, I meant you're throwing Shadowslice with Guttersnipe in play thats 5 damage, then cipher it to Gutter and tap and attack thats 5 + 2 combat damage 5+5+2=12

ok cool just clarifying, didn't want anyone to get confused.

ok cool just clarifying, didn't want anyone to get confused.

Ofcourse
Guttersnipe is pretty much the only deck I've put any real work into since the card came out. Here's what I've got so far:

This version has a lot of changes I havent gotten to test yet, but they feel good in theory:

- Thunderous wrath seems like a given in a deck with delver and guttersnipe. Mid to late game I can dig for it on an opponent's turn with think twice or desolate lighthouse. No clue why it took me so long to remember it's existance. Will add another or cut pending it's performance.

-  Talrands invocation is a potential bomb here. Better than talrand IMO because it A) flips delver, B) makes 2 bodies immedietly (talrand usually making you wait a turn to untap), and C) can be made cheaper with electromancer.

- the deck used to have 20 lands, but also 4 desperate ravings. with me deciding to cut the ravings to make room for more "business spells" (as well as adding talrand's invocation, the decks lone 4 drop), I was concerned that I might have a rougher time hitting my land drops. If you wanted to cut a land, I would suggest a mountain since turn 1 delver is something to wantr to max your odds on.

-you could cut an electromancer for a third snapcaster. I've wanted to cut one for a while, feeling 3 was enough, but I don't have the third snappy to test out.

I've also been considering turning this into a grixis build, only splashing it for deathrite shaman. Or as I'll be calling him, guttersnpies 5-8.  I want to see how the current build runs before doing that though.

With the shadow slice, the cipher ability only triggers off of combat damage so by playing another spell and causing the snipe to ping for 2 doesn't actually count as combat damage so therefore it wouldn't trigger the shadow slice attached to it.  Combat damage is the actual act of tapping and attacking with a creature not using one of their abilities that causes damage outside of your combat step. That would be great if it did work that way though because hitting for 5 a few times on your opponents turn just by playing a few instants and then finishing them off by using a sorcery or instant on your turn would just be fun.

If cipher worked with just any damage instead of combat damage, a spell encoded onto guttersnipe would be an infinite.

cast a spell, snipe deals damage which triggers cipher being cats which makes snipe trigger and deal damage which makes cipher trigger and be cast which triggers snipe dealing damage....

Just something neat I noticed. Has no real bearing on anything.
Thunderous Wrath as a 2-of will be in my final decklist, no question; it's potentially 7 face-damage for ! And casting Think Twice on your opponent's turn gives you plenty of shots at it.

I totally agree about Talrand's Invocation as well, being able to have a Sorcery that is really a creature card synergizes so well with the deck's concept. I also like Krenko's Command because it provides cheap blockers that can activate the morbid condition on Brimstone Volley for tons of face damage.

If cipher worked with just any damage instead of combat damage, a spell encoded onto guttersnipe would be an infinite.

cast a spell, snipe deals damage which triggers cipher being cats which makes snipe trigger and deal damage which makes cipher trigger and be cast which triggers snipe dealing damage....

Just something neat I noticed. Has no real bearing on anything.

Cipher specifies combat damage so it wouldn't be infinite.
one could base a deck on guttersnipe+Shadow Slice if it has Tricks of the Trade but is a slow card.  4+3+2 = 9 damage each turn. Use Mizzium Skin to protect your Snipe and you deal 2 another damage. There is also Mugging and so many 1 mana istant that one could use.

Problem is, how are you supposed to defend your self? with just counters? Do you have that mana to counter anything?
What is your playstyle? using spells to control your opponent while you deal damage with snipe?