Clarification About Tapping Abilities While Attacking

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
Does a creatures ability that activates while tapping also activate when it attacks because it taps to attack? Take Stern Mentor (sorry for the lack of autocard) which when you tap it makes target player mil two cards. If I attack with Stern Mentor, does that ability still activate?
If I attack with Stern Mentor, does that ability still activate?

No. You can do one or the other, but not both.

For comparison, a card like Fallowsage has a triggered ability, rather than an activated ability like Stern Mentor. This ability will trigger when you attack with fallowsage.
Does a creatures ability that activates while tapping also activate when it attacks because it taps to attack?

No

Take Stern Mentor (sorry for the lack of autocard) which when you tap it makes target player mil two cards. If I attack with Stern Mentor, does that ability still activate?

No.  If the ability said "whenever this becomes tapped" then it would trigger, but activated abilities only activate when you announce you are activating them and pay their costs.   If the creature is tapped due to being attacking then you can't pay the cost of tapping it for the ability.

Thank you for the help!
Does a creatures ability that activates while tapping also activate when it attacks because it taps to attack?

Activates while tapping makes no sense. Triggered abilities aren't activated, and activated abilities aren't triggered. You could be refering to

• Abilities that trigger when the creature becomes tapped. They do trigger no matter why they become tapped. Brink of Disaster is an example.

• Abilities that require you to tap the creature as a cost to activate. You cannot activate the ability if you previously tapped the creature to attack. You cannot attack if you previously tapped the creature to activate the ability. (You can't spend the same $1 to buy two $1 items.) Stern Mentor is an example.

Take Stern Mentor (sorry for the lack of autocard) which when you tap it makes target player mil two cards. If I attack with Stern Mentor, does that ability still activate?

*You* activate abilities, not events. The latter are called triggered abilities.