So, What Went Wrong With The Open Call?

2 posts / 0 new
Last post
I'm digging through the archives of this forum because I'm trying (and failing for the most part) to figure out what card illustrations to attach to which stories in the Alara Anthology. I'm beginning to realize that this project has a kind of fractal complexity to it, in part because the contests happened four years ago, and in part because we never thought we would use the stories for an actual anthology so the kind of bookkeeping that would be really helpful right now just... isn't there.

Anyway, that's not what this thread is about, although it is tangentially related.

I happened, in the archives, upon this rather interesting thread where I suggested that WotC could canonize fanfiction as a way of increasing the scope of the Multiverse. Expanding it, if you will. Yeah, obviously in retrospect this is the idea that I kept mulling over to the point where it became the Expanded Multiverse. And I still do like the basic notion here that fan works could be promoted, although I recognize (largely because of conversations here with Ari Marmell) that the writers would have to be, you know, paid; it couldn't just be for free.

But something came up that I've never really had answered, and seeing the thread rekindled my curiosity.

During the buildup to Time Spiral there was an open call to fans that resulted in two people--someone named Tim who I don't know, and a user called Dunjon who used to hang around here but vanished, like so many other old storyline fans, a few years ago--getting picked to work with Creative on the Time Spiral novels.

Except...

It fell apart. Dunjon in the other thread suggests it was because he at least wasn't prepared for the pressures of professional writing, but even that was kind of vague and he hinted that they weren't being given concrete confirmation that it was going to happen.

So... what went wrong? Anyone have any hints as to what might have happened? 
Coming Soon to the Magic: Expanded Multiverse: FRAGMENTS: A Shards of Alara Anthology
(Click through to view the cover and announcement page)Want to get your work in the Expanded Multiverse? Come join the project! Oh, and check out my blog, Storming the Ivory Tower: making sense of academia, media, and culture twice weekly.
The Dimir realized that the project was dangerously close to uncovering certain "truths" about the multiverse as a whole, and they had it eliminated.

Why does everyone think I'm phantom lancer? QFT:

Show
139359831 wrote:
I hope all this helps you to see things in a greater light—and understand that Magic: the Gathering was really created by extraterrestials using Richard Garfield as a medium. The game itself reflects the socio-psycho realtivity between living beings, and the science that takes precedence over them—to define reality for them all (like telekinesis, weather, scientific reaction, phenomenon, ingenuity, how the brain works, etc.). I'd also bet there is an entity floating thousands of miles above us, looking down on the current state of game, shaking its fist like... "Wtf are you doing?! You're getting it all screwed up!". Awkward—to be evolved, and yet still subject to the ladder that is the concepts of the game. In this case, misconception, corruption, and deception. With the realities of each color becoming distorted (through oblivious designers), leading the game to reflect a false state of reality that warps the understanding that other people have about those things. For example, people thinking that white could be anything except pure good. This shouldn't be too far off though, I mean...Magic is designed based on reality after all, so that entity (those entities) should be subject to those things. Anyways, I guess when you're busy doing space stuff you can't always be around to ensure quality control. It's no wonder they choose Garfield, they're so much alike; that's exactly what happened to him and Magic.
166199665 wrote:
omg snortng so much febbdelicious /intocixated in rl
Sign In to post comments