Asurun ICD: Zesa

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
Zesa Nikasar
Planeswalker - Zesa
+1: Until your next turn, whenever a creature an opponent controls attacks or blocks, Zesa Nikasar deals 2 damage to it.
-1: Zesa deals damage equal to the number of loyalty counters on him to target creature. You gain life equal to the damage dealt this way.
-9: For each loyalty counter on Zesa, each player chooses that many permanents he or she controls then sacrifices the rest.

I'm not entirely sure of the cost balancing between the +,-, and base loyalty. Ideally he would start at 4 so he could Lightning Helix the turn he enters, but having that every other turn seems a bit too powerful.

Asurun main
I love delayed trigger planeswalker abilities. It makes planeswalkers feel more in touch. Due to the sorcery speed abilities they often feel "sluggish" to me. Not saying they're weak, just slow.
His + ability could probably be a 2, if he didn't deal damage to blockers as well...
As is his +1 drastically discurages blocking, making it pretty strong. Also, comparing his second to Ajani Vengeant, it should be at least -2, if not more due to the scale. Or make it a -x; deal x
the ultimate needs clarification as to whether loyalty are counted before or after activation
I love delayed trigger planeswalker abilities. It makes planeswalkers feel more in touch. Due to the sorcery speed abilities they often feel "sluggish" to me. Not saying they're weak, just slow.
His + ability could probably be a 2, if he didn't deal damage to blockers as well...
As is his +1 drastically discurages blocking, making it pretty strong. Also, comparing his second to Ajani Vengeant, it should be at least -2, if not more due to the scale. Or make it a -x; deal x

The fact that it can't hit players should help with scaling, but it also scales with itself, so I'm not entirely sure.

Lightning Helix comparison
Zesa
-1 - 2
+1
-1 - 2
+1
-1 - 2
+1
-1 - 2

Ajani
-2 - 3
+1
+1
-2 - 3
+1
+1
-2 - 3

Just switching between the abilities as often as able without suicide, Zesa deals 2  less damage over four turns, but 2 more over seven.

Ajani
-2 - 3
+1
-2 - 3

Zesa
-1 - 2
-1 - 1
+1 (death and no damage if -1 was used)
or
+1
+1
-1 - 4

Suicidally, Ajani deals 6 damage in 3 turns, while Zesa deals only 4 while building up and only 3 if used completely suicidally.

the ultimate needs clarification as to whether loyalty are counted before or after activation

No it doesn't. The ability checks it as it resolves, the counters removed as part of the cost are never there to be seen by the ability.

Oh.. didn't see the only creatures. Its actually maybe a little weak then... but not bad.