R/G/b Aggro

9 posts / 0 new
Last post
Ok, I'm posting this here in hopes that this once again can become a T1 deck. Will it? Maybe. But with Stomping Ground here we now can be fast and punch just as much face we as it did back in Scars Block.

Unfortunately as far as my opinion goes, Gatecrash didn't bring much to R/G aggro besides the Stomping Grounds and Skullcrack. But we really don't need much for R/G kicked butt back in scars, so will it now.

Now, as you all know R/G started off back in Scars and it wasn't very well known for a while but as it won more and more PTQs it got recognition that it deserved. It was a T5-6 kill if it went on unanswered. It typcially ran 10-15 burn/pump spells 20-25 creatures and 22-24 lands (Depending one the amount of dorks, mana curve). Creatures consisted of Llanowars/BoP and now all we have are Arbor Elves and Deathrite Shamans (If you run a black splash). This is where the black splash in the title comes in. Splashing black allows for an endless amount of SB materials as well as MB'd Shamans. The splash comes from Overgrown Tombs. Why tombs? Well you want the turn 1 Green for Elves shamans as well as for Arbor Elves so the Tombs does it's work nicely. I'll talk more about the other cards after the deck list.

Ok, this is MY decklist and I've had decent results playing online (Cockatrice) [Yes I know a crappy program to use because it's full of people that don't know how to make a decent deck. But hey, it's bloody free and I'm a college student.] I recently went 3-1 this FNM with the deck except that the shamans are now MB'd. This isn't a pro's decklist, just mine.

Enough rambling onto the list.

Creatures: 24
4 Arbor Elf
3 Deathrite Shaman
4 Strangleroot Geist
3 Wolfir Avenger
3 Huntmaster of the Fells
3 Hellrider
2 Thundermaw Hellkite
2 Thragtusk

Spells: 14
3 Pillar of Flame
2 Skull Crack
3 Searing Spear
3 Bonfire of the Damned
3 Rancor

Lands: 22
3 Cavern of Souls
4 Stomping Grounds
4 Rootbound Crag
4 Overgrown Tomb
2 Kessig Wolfrun
2 Mountain
3 Forest

Sideboard:
1 Abrupt Decay
2 Naturalize
Slaughter Games
2 Zealous Conscripts
2 Mizzium Mortars
1 Skullcrack
2 Dreadbore
2 Rakdos's Return

Now I will explain why each card is in the deck.

Arbor Elf and Deathrite Shaman

Sadly, we now do not have BoP or Llanowar Elf, but we do now have Arbor Elf and his in ways better companion Deathrite Shaman. The nice thing about the Arbor Elf is that it can untap shocks! Which means if we needed a second red for that hellrider or Thundermaw, we can have it and pretty much win. It also allows us for a T2 flashed in Wolfir Avenger, a T3 Hellrider followed by a T4 Thrag/Hellkite. It also allows us to help bonfire for more and helps kessig too. Deathrite shaman has been a staple in many decks and is the main reason for splashing black along with nice juicy SB cards. It's awesome against reanimator in many ways that it acts as a mana dork incase if they mill lands, it allows us a better chance to win G1 against them as well. It also hurts flash that they can't flash back their Feeling of Dreads, Think Twice, shuts off snappy, Etc. It also helps against aggro matchups where we just need that 2 more damage or just need that life to survive for another turn.

I recomend running 4 Elves and at LEAST 2 Shamans.

Strangleroot Geist

This card has been a staple for ANY R/G aggro deck since day one. Being able to swing along with an elf or shaman for 3 dmg turn 2 is allways a nice start. The undying also creates a pain for control decks can't just sweep it away. It can act as a blocker for against oposing Geist of St Trafts and can kill thragtusk with it's second life.

Run 4 of, no questions asked.

Wolfir Avenger

This card, has been SOOOO underrated IMO. I've LOVED this card's utility. This guy flashed in Opponent's Turn 2 is pure GOLD. Then followed up by a hellrider is just a nice way to say GG. Oh did I forget to mention that he can REGENERATE for a 1G and is also a 3/3 for THREE!? Ermahgawd, I love this guy thank you Avacyn Restored for giving us a nice efficient Beater.

Run 2-3 of, 3 is recomended though.

Hellrider and Huntmaster of the Fells

These guys have also been a staple since day one. Hellrider has been underlooked in the past when it was 3 dollars for one, now is topping at 10 dollars. For a reason too. This guy is what enables the turn 4 kill if you god hand. He's the one that just loves to beat face. Huntmaster is everything in one package. You essentially get 4 power for 4, 2 life, and if possible 2 damage to someones face and to a creature and 6 power with 4 of it trampling. Honestly, there's nothing to hate about this dude.

Run at least 2 Hellriders, and at least 3 Huntmasters.

Thundermaw Hellkite and his derp buddy Thragtusk

These guys have also been staples since day one. Thundermaw is just awesome, he comes onto the field and just says "Move out of the way fliers, I'm going to punch face." While attaining that ability he also is a 5 for 5/5. If left unanswered he can be a force to be afraid of. Ok, now do I REALLY need to talk about his buddy DERPTUSK!? No, I do not. Moving on.

Run 2 of each, if you can't afford 2 of each, then 1 Tusk and 2 Hellkites are ok.

Onto the spells.

Pillar of Flame

Like BoP being gone, we also no longer have access to Galvanic Blast but with delver being gone for the most part the instant speed isn't needed. I'd rather take the pillars now for zombies are more relivant. Otherwise, this spell just says be gone to any dorks or zombies.

Run at least 3.

Searing Spear 

I do not remember if back in the days Incenerate was ran in R/G aggro decks but now with derptusks everywhere this card is needed to take care of them. Not only that but it's a nice way to say GG if it resolves to finish that that last hit. It also hits cheap efficent blockers such as Augur of Bolas and other stupid walls and small creatures.

Run at least 3.

Bonfire of the Damned

This was the only card that people were iffy about using in R/G aggro. For people were sketchy on the miracles. But as more and more people were winning with this card topdecking it soon spiked to $30+ Dolllars. This card even if not miracled can clear the field and do a decent amount of damage. I've won games back in Scars days because of a miracled bonfire. Oh man is it satisfying seeing the opponents field burn after taking 4+ damage to the face.

Run at least 2.

Skullcrack

One of the non-land additions from gatecrash that made it's way into the MB of the deck. With DERPTUSK and Sphinx's Revelations everywhere it's recomended that these decks MB these guys. I don't think I have to explain more about why...

Run 2 MB and maybe 1 SB.

Rancor

I am SOOOO glad this card made it's way back into standard. This card is essentially the replacement for the good ol' Swords from Scars/New Phyrexia. What makes this card good is you can turn 2 with an elf swing for 4 with a strangleroot geist and the fact that this card will rarely ever stay in the grave. The trample just makes this card even more sexy.

Run 3.

Now onto the non obvious lands.

Cavern of Souls

This card allows us to play out big beefy stuff such as Tusks, Thundermaws, and Hellriders. It also in someway color fixes if we need a second red for such Hellrider/Thundermaw. I think enough is said about this card.

Run 2 if not a lot of Counters are played in your meta, otherwise if you're playing a meta full of counters run 3

Kessig Wolfrun

This card has also been a staple since day one. For if a control deck strugles and bearly holds on with less than 5 health and you have a constanly regen'd avenger just pump away after attackers win.

Now, I'm tired out from typing way too much, and the SB is my meta call so I won't talk about that. Otherwise, if you want to ask questions feel free to ask why a certain card is in the SB and I will certainly reply.

Feel free to discuss anything R/G aggro related, such as Decklists, card ideas, etc.

Have fun, and punch face my angry Gruul mates!
Decks I play: Modern: R/G Tron B/w Soul Sisters EDH: Gisela Midrange Edric Tap em down n' Swing Karrthus, the dragonlord Kaervek, the troll. Standard: The Aristocrats
No one has any opinions on this build?!
Decks I play: Modern: R/G Tron B/w Soul Sisters EDH: Gisela Midrange Edric Tap em down n' Swing Karrthus, the dragonlord Kaervek, the troll. Standard: The Aristocrats
I'm kind of just glancing at this as i go by so take this worth a grain of salt but here's what i think:

cut the cavern of souls you have so many creature types running around it seems like most fo the time its intended use will be diluted at best and downright useless in most cases. I'd reccomend running some woodland cemetery's instead which would allow you a little more consistency for some black splashing for things like say dreg mangler which based off your description for this deck i cant imagine why you wouldnt want him in here. Also im sure this is veering far an away from the decks intended purpose but a signal the clans could do wonders here. I've been playtesting againsts a friends Gruul deck and it amazes me how much i hate that card everytime he plays it. It is an incredibley useful card and if it isnt in every deck that runs RG soon, it will be. Also Grisly slavage maybe just knock around with it, although it is really more of a combo piece, Now that i mention it i'm not even sure why i mentioned it. GL with the list, cheers.
I am White/Black
I am White/Black
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
I'm both orderly and selfish. I act mostly for my own benefit, but I respect and help my community - Specially when it helps me. At best, I'm loyal and dedicated; at worst, I'm elitist and shrewd.
I'm kind of just glancing at this as i go by so take this worth a grain of salt but here's what i think:

cut the cavern of souls you have so many creature types running around it seems like most fo the time its intended use will be diluted at best and downright useless in most cases. I'd reccomend running some woodland cemetery's instead which would allow you a little more consistency for some black splashing for things like say dreg mangler which based off your description for this deck i cant imagine why you wouldnt want him in here. Also im sure this is veering far an away from the decks intended purpose but a signal the clans could do wonders here. I've been playtesting againsts a friends Gruul deck and it amazes me how much i hate that card everytime he plays it. It is an incredibley useful card and if it isnt in every deck that runs RG soon, it will be. Also Grisly slavage maybe just knock around with it, although it is really more of a combo piece, Now that i mention it i'm not even sure why i mentioned it. GL with the list, cheers.

My meta has alot of UW flash so the caverns help quite a bit. I've tred 3C aggro before, it DID NOT work. So theirfore splashing black is the best bet. Which also means the manglers arn't an option. An aggro deck needs to be playing either creatures or burn/killspells. So Signal of the clans would almost slow down the deck. I think the right place for that card would be more for a midrange-y build.
Skullcrack and thrag maindeck in the same deck???? Maybe I misinterpreted what this subforum was about, but I dont think this decklist is near tier 1 as it stands. Arent we supposed to wait for major tournament results before making threads in this area? I havent posted a thread here before so I could be wrong...
Skullcrack and thrag maindeck in the same deck???? Maybe I misinterpreted what this subforum was about, but I dont think this decklist is near tier 1 as it stands. Arent we supposed to wait for major tournament results before making threads in this area? I havent posted a thread here before so I could be wrong...

Skullcrack is card that should be mainboarded just a bit, I mean if thrags are MB'd in every green deck, why not have MB skullcracks as well?

R/G before rotation WAS a Tier 1 deck, I do believe it can be again.
It's too early to call this tier one. Which is why Mono posts the threads for "tiered" decks.
IMAGE(http://i998.photobucket.com/albums/af108/acatan/sigwynzermancopy.png) Signature by IMAGE(http://www.poke-amph.com/heartgoldsoulsilver/sprites/258.png)
The Tier 1 forum is for proven tier-1 decks. The threads are generally moved there from other forums. New threads should NOT be created there without approval beforehand.

Moving to Standard Deck Help. 

Magic and Magic Online Volunteer Community Lead. On Strike

I'm trying to make my official VCL posts in purple.

You posted saying my thread was moved/locked but nothing happened.

Show
Unfortunately, VCLs do not currently have the tools necessary to take moderation actions directly. VCLs submit their actions to ORCs, who then actually perform the action. This processing can take between a few minutes and several hours, depending on how busy/attentive the ORCs are.

If you see something that needs VCL attention, please use this thread to make a request and a VCL will look at it as soon as possible. CoC violations should be reported to Customer Service using the "report post" button. Please do not disrupt the thread by making requests of either kind in-thread.

General MTGO FAQ

Yes, the Shuffler is Random!
The definitive thread on the Magic Online shuffler.

Magic Math Made Easy
Draw probabilities, Swiss results, Elo ratings and booster EV

Event EV Calculator
Calculate the EV for any event with a fixed number of rounds and prizes based on record

Dual means two. A duel is a battle between two people. Lands that make two colors of mana are dual lands. A normal Magic battle is a duel.
Thanks to PhoenixLAU for the [thread=1097559]awesome avatar[/thread]!
Quotables

Show
"While a picture is worth a thousand words, each lolcat actually produces a negative wordcount." -Ith "I think "Highly Informed Sarcasm" should be our Magic Online General motto." -Ith "Sorry, but this thread seems just like spam. TT is for off-topic discussion, not no-topic discussion." -WizO_Kwai_Chang "Stop that! If you're not careful, rational thinking may catch on!" -Sax "... the only word i see that fits is incompitant." -Mr44 (sic) "You know a thread is gonna be locked when it gets to the hexadecimal stage." -Gathion "It's a good gig" - Gleemax "I tell people often, if you guys want to rant, you've certainly got the right to (provided you obey CoC/ToS stuff), and I don't even really blame you. But if you see something you think needs changing a well thought-out, constructive post does more to make that happen." - Worth Wollpert
Guess ill try moving this again.
VCL (Volunteer Community Lead - Deck Critique (MTG)) Volunteer Community Nutritionist - (I am watching you diet, even when you think I am not.) Photobucket What my sig is based off of.