DLCR: Basilica Screecher

16 posts / 0 new
Last post
Todays GTC card to rate is...

Basilica Screecher

Show

5.0: First pick no matter what.  I will always play this card.
4.5: Splashable and first pick worthy.
4.0: First pick pack 1.
3.5: Early pick though not always a first pick.
3.0: Solid early/mid pick.
2.5: Solid pick in color.
2.0: Should generally make the deck if in this color.
1.5: Decent filler.
1.0: 23rd card if you have to.
0.5: This card will sometimes be sideboarded in.
0.0: I will never put this card into my deck (main deck or after sideboarding).

This guy is really good.  He's cheap, has evasion so he can generally get in for a couple himself before the opponent has an answer.  And he has extort.  One of the best commons for Orzhov in my opinion.

Discuss! 
I'm thinking closer to 2.0, unless extort turns out to be much more powerful than I originally thought.
2.5. This looks very good but I'm not sure exactly how good it actually is. Do you take it over Syndic? I'm not sure.
Preparing for the M14 Prerelease - New article up! IN THE TANK - my very own blog for rambling about Magic!
2.5. This looks very good but I'm not sure exactly how good it actually is. Do you take it over Syndic? I'm not sure.

Yes, you take it over Syndic.

The flying is worth the -1 power.

bulletd Guidelines: 5.0: I will take this card no matter what. Creature 1 or playable 1 or hate 1.Archangel of Thune 4.5: Bomb and splashable. Creature 1-2, playable 1-2, removal 1. Jace, Memory Adept 4.0: Excellent first pick first pack, will sway me into same colors. Creatures 1-4, removal 1. Haunted Plate Mail 3.5: Excellent first pack pick two, will confirm colors or possibly sway into second color. Doom Blade 3.0: Good in-color addition, or splashable removal/creature. Creatures 3-9, removal 1-3. wall of Frost 2.5: Solid pick in-color; creatures 5-12, removal 3-5. Dark Favor 2.0: Creatures 10-16; removal 6-7. Elvish Mystic 1.5: My 23rd or 22nd card, depending on removal. Act of Treason 1.0: 23rd card if I don't maindeck an additional land. Lay of the Land 0.5: This card will sometimes be sideboarded in. Brave the Elements 0.0: I will shred this card for counters. Darksteel Forge

Even against Boros? And Gruul?
Preparing for the M14 Prerelease - New article up! IN THE TANK - my very own blog for rambling about Magic!

hhmmm tough to say who your match-ups will be while you're picking cards in draft.

Did you consider that this guy makes Smite a lot better?
bulletd Guidelines: 5.0: I will take this card no matter what. Creature 1 or playable 1 or hate 1.Archangel of Thune 4.5: Bomb and splashable. Creature 1-2, playable 1-2, removal 1. Jace, Memory Adept 4.0: Excellent first pick first pack, will sway me into same colors. Creatures 1-4, removal 1. Haunted Plate Mail 3.5: Excellent first pack pick two, will confirm colors or possibly sway into second color. Doom Blade 3.0: Good in-color addition, or splashable removal/creature. Creatures 3-9, removal 1-3. wall of Frost 2.5: Solid pick in-color; creatures 5-12, removal 3-5. Dark Favor 2.0: Creatures 10-16; removal 6-7. Elvish Mystic 1.5: My 23rd or 22nd card, depending on removal. Act of Treason 1.0: 23rd card if I don't maindeck an additional land. Lay of the Land 0.5: This card will sometimes be sideboarded in. Brave the Elements 0.0: I will shred this card for counters. Darksteel Forge

hhmmm tough to say who your match-ups will be while you're picking cards in draft.

Any creature with Extort does that (though being able to block fliers is great).

What I mean is, sometimes you just want to trade for their Wojek Halberdiers before they get battalion online; you can't even dissuade them from attacking with this, where they might not attack into Syndic (and you can block profitably if they do).

Any creature with Extort does that (though being able to block fliers is great).

What I mean is, sometimes you just want to trade for their Wojek Halberdiers before they get battalion online; you can't even dissuade them from attacking with this, where they might not attack into Syndic (and you can block profitably if they do).

I guess you missed my point. Syndic in no way makes Smite any better, but this bat can block the big fliers and kill them with smite.

I'm not in the business of trading my extort creatures, that's how you lose with Orzhov, so that wouldn't even come into consideration.

Turn three attacking with a Wojek Halberdier is probably going to get through, unless I went first and have my 1/4 extort guy out.

Massive mistake to trade...

Of course, if you have a smite in hand, you won't trade, as long as you cast it (with extort) before combat damage.
You are Red/Blue!
You are Red/Blue!
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
You are both rational and emotional. You value creation and discovery, and feel strongly about what I create. At best, you're innovative and intuitive. At worst, you're scattered and unpredictable.
Of course, if you have a smite in hand, you won't trade, as long as you cast it (with extort) before combat damage.

You wont trade it for that card early in the game regardless...

If he attacks I take three, then I attack back deal two and extort for +1 me -1 him

That means I'm netting +1 on him.

Then I'll get my 1/4 out or remove one of his battalion guys and continue to extort.

This is pretty simple folks, I understand most of you haven't tested with Przhov much but just take you time and think about it.
You don't want to trade off your extort creatures, but you don't want to take halberdier beats for a few turns either.  Just because you don't want to do something doesn't mean you won't have to do it to save your life sometimes.

Why does everyone think I'm phantom lancer? QFT:

Show
139359831 wrote:
I hope all this helps you to see things in a greater light—and understand that Magic: the Gathering was really created by extraterrestials using Richard Garfield as a medium. The game itself reflects the socio-psycho realtivity between living beings, and the science that takes precedence over them—to define reality for them all (like telekinesis, weather, scientific reaction, phenomenon, ingenuity, how the brain works, etc.). I'd also bet there is an entity floating thousands of miles above us, looking down on the current state of game, shaking its fist like... "Wtf are you doing?! You're getting it all screwed up!". Awkward—to be evolved, and yet still subject to the ladder that is the concepts of the game. In this case, misconception, corruption, and deception. With the realities of each color becoming distorted (through oblivious designers), leading the game to reflect a false state of reality that warps the understanding that other people have about those things. For example, people thinking that white could be anything except pure good. This shouldn't be too far off though, I mean...Magic is designed based on reality after all, so that entity (those entities) should be subject to those things. Anyways, I guess when you're busy doing space stuff you can't always be around to ensure quality control. It's no wonder they choose Garfield, they're so much alike; that's exactly what happened to him and Magic.
166199665 wrote:
omg snortng so much febbdelicious /intocixated in rl
I'm thinking closer to 2.0, unless extort turns out to be much more powerful than I originally thought.

It is. 3.0. I would take Syndic over this, but only because boros is stronger than dimir.
Check out my cube!
Show
My sig was so awesome it broke Browsers, [url= http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29455423/For_some_reason...]I had to remove it.[/url] Support Magic Fiction! Or Bolas will eat you
57193048 wrote:
You should never explain layers to people unless one of the following is true: they're studying for a judge exam, you're both in a Ben Affleck movie and it's the only way to save the world, or you hate them.
56663526 wrote:
We try to maintain the illusion that Magic cards are written in English.
56333196 wrote:
69511863 wrote:
Hell, if they steal from us, we'd be honored.
oh my god, AWESOME! Then changing the Slivers was your idea! haha lol
56734518 wrote:
Occassionally when catering, I've been put the task of arranging Fruit and Cheese or Grilled Vegetable platters. More than once a high class buffet has started with the mark of Phyrexia upon it. Since i've got a good eye for color so it looks great to people who don't get the "joke" (it's a niceley divided circle after all: the outline gives you 4-6 "regions" to work with), this has actually got me put on platter design more often, resulting in Phyrexia's presence at more private and industry events.
I have 6917 Planeswalker points, that's probably more than you. [c=Hero's Resolve]"Destiny, chance, fate, fortune, mana screw; they're all just ways of claiming your successes without claiming your failures." Gerrard of the Weatherlight[/c]
2.0+

I have a vendetta against this card, only in terms of flavor. I've seen it die to mugging more than any other creature in the set. And, well.

HOW AND WHY DO YOU MUG A BAT?!?!?!!?!?!??!?!?! 

2.5 really. 

I found Carmen Sandiego before you were born unless you're Zlehtnoba.

3, he is a true house in Dimir, early evasive critter to cipher that also lets you extort all those extra spells you are casting? Yes please. This guy and Metropolis Sprite fueled my "Thank you I will play 9 cipher spells" Dimir deck.
"I think me going Bang bang bang I win is pretty intuitive" Mafia Record: Wouldn't you like to know? 2011 Mafia Awards - Mastermind of the Year
mymoment
\
57817638 wrote:
58060728 wrote:
88318561 wrote:
58060728 wrote:
Moriok Rigger does absolutely nothing to boost other riggers. You are incorrect.
Moriok Rigger is not a Rigger in print. Only in Errata WHAT NOW! (yes, I did put that phrase in for that exact reason)
Congratulations, they have activated your trap card!
UA; you are describing a pretty ideal scenario; sometimes, you need to make that block because you have nothing else (not a Smite, not a 1/4) and that Halberdier is going to be attacking every turn until it dies. Having that option (and attacking for 2 instead of 1) means that Syndic has additional application against Boros (though I could also see the argument that Daring Skyjek is a card to be in the Bat's favor). I'm not saying that you're wrong (I've only played Orzhov once, and I did not have any Screechers), I'm just trying to contribute to a discussion of the merits of this card compared to another very similar one. That seems relevant to me.
UA; you are describing a pretty ideal scenario; sometimes, you need to make that block because you have nothing else (not a Smite, not a 1/4) and that Halberdier is going to be attacking every turn until it dies. Having that option (and attacking for 2 instead of 1) means that Syndic has additional application against Boros (though I could also see the argument that Daring Skyjek is a card to be in the Bat's favor). I'm not saying that you're wrong (I've only played Orzhov once, and I did not have any Screechers), I'm just trying to contribute to a discussion of the merits of this card compared to another very similar one. That seems relevant to me.

Don't take me the wrong way, I just like all out discussion so by all means let her rip!

When I see a 3/2 attacking me I'm not all that worried in Orzhov because if I made a good deck I'll probably have an opportunity to stabalize, I don't think using one extort creature to "trade" blows with this guy is all that ideal.

We're talking about handling a common with other commons, not exactly out of the ordinary from my experience.

I'm saying that a syndic is too good to trade for that particular card and if you do it you're in very poor shape. He only deals one more damage than the syndic and we can get that back and then some with extort...so not very worried.

Sign In to post comments