DC: Dark Banishing

10 posts / 0 new
Last post
Todays random card is...

Dark Banishing

I've always liked Dark Banishing.  In my play group a lot of us would use artifact creatures so this saw a lot more play then Terror.  And the can't regenerate part can be relevant at times.

Thumbs up

Discuss! 
Same here. A proliferation of Arti creatures made this the preferred choice over Terror. Do I still use it? Not really. So that makes a thumbs up/down choice kinda tough. Nowadays, with the sheer number of creature kill cards in black, this is pretty out-classed. 

Thumbs down. Based solely on today's game. Another "good" old card bites the dust. 
Wherever you have something like Masticore, you're going to want this over Terror.

The only downside (for both) is the "can't regenerate" really doesn't synergize with "nonblack", which is the primary color of regenerate.
139359831 wrote:
Clever deduction Watson! Maybe you can explain why Supergirl is trying to kill me.
---- Autocard is your friend. Lightning Bolt = Lightning Bolt
Green does a ton of regenerating too, to be fair.

I'm not sure whether I'd take this over Terror -- my playgroup doesn't tend to include "out of theme" critters as artifact creatures usually are -- but I've had enough problems with regenerators that when building the removal base for a black deck I'd consider this alongside, if not instead of Murder... and almost certainly instead of if my deck isn't mono black!

It's had a lot of competition -- Terror, Doomblade, Go for the Throat, Murder and even, to some extent Dismember, but Banishing holds up.

"Enjoy your screams, Sarpadia - they will soon be muffled beneath snow and ice."

Follow me to No Goblins Allowed

A M:tG/D&D message board with a good community and usable software

THE COALITION WAR GAME -Phyrexian Chief Praetor
Round 1: (4-1-2, 1 kill)
Round 2: (16-8-2, 4 kills)
Round 3: (18-9-2, 1 kill)
Round 4: (22-10-0, 2 kills)
Round 5: (56-16-3, 9 kills)
Round 6: (8-7-1)

Last Edited by Ralph on blank, 1920

Green does a ton of regenerating too, to be fair.

True. And it's not like a colorpie existed for a lot of keywords back then; the big exception was banding.

The only real advantage I can see to Terror is the stick, though, and I'd rather Doom Blade or Go for the Throat.
139359831 wrote:
Clever deduction Watson! Maybe you can explain why Supergirl is trying to kill me.
The stick is, though, a relevant advantage... and perhaps you haven't had the same problems with regenerators, especially large ones (ones out of Last Gasp range are terrible, but even smaller ones matter:  Ranger en-Vec has been the bane of my existence of late) that I have in my kill-heavy black decks, but I would almost never take Doom Blade over TerrorGo For The Throat I might, but we've established my meta is artifact-light

"Enjoy your screams, Sarpadia - they will soon be muffled beneath snow and ice."

Yeah, but Last Gasp kills Ranger en-Vec. Not really the best example.

FWIW, I doubt Ranger would be printed today, just because of the negative synergy involved.
139359831 wrote:
Yeah, but Last Gasp kills Ranger en-Vec. Not really the best example.

FWIW, I doubt Ranger would be printed today, just because of the negative synergy involved.

Not sure -- they printed Boros Reckoner, which has similar dissynergy with itself.

And I did list the ranger after mentioning the small regenerators galled me too.

Back in the day this was seen as an excellent suppliment to Terror. If reprinted it would still be playble in limited, if not constructed. Depends on the environment, really.

Scope my YouTube channel!

Here's a shout out for Scholars' Books & Games in Bridgewater, MA, and for Paladin's Place in Darmstadt, Hessen, Germany where I was stationed for two years. Support your FLGS!

Attacking the darkness since 1987, turning creatures sideways since 1994.

Not sure -- they printed Boros Reckoner, which has similar dissynergy with itself.

Yeah, but it's a magic bullet to kill Thragtusk. And it doesn't always have first strike. Not quite the same thing.
139359831 wrote:
Sign In to post comments